Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Hurrache wrote: »
    You're talking out your arse. You seem to think that none of us here have been working in Dublin city centre for decades and are firmly grounded in reality.

When the lockdown is over, and you've some spare time, get yourself a coffee, go to somewhere with a wide footpath, and just watch for 20 minutes.

Try the corner of Stephen's Green South - if you position yourself right, you'll see cyclists on the footpath (Stephen's Green side, usually but not exclusively, they also use the Grafton/Dawson St side and the footpath between the Luas and the road).

You'll also see cyclists coming from and cycling on to (pedestrianised at lunchtime) Grafton Street and South King Street.

You'll also see cyclists going illegally through the pedestrian traffic light on red, while coming from Surgeons direction and going the wrong way down a one way street, to head down Dawson Street.

If you don't see at least 20 instances of the above in your lunchbreak, I'll buy your coffee for you. If you don't see 20 instances of the above, I'd seriously suggest you should not be cycling and definitely shouldn't drive, cos your eyesight isn't up to much.

But yeah, I'm talking through my arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

meeeeh wrote: »
    ..... It's also great commute option for some but when you mention lobby groups they are usually not fronted by families with children or grannies on bikes.

You might want to check these guys out

https://www.dublincycling.com

Strong supporters of utility cycling. Have organised many mass protests to campaign for better cycling infrastructure. You'll see all sorts of people on these protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

When the lockdown is over, and you've some spare time, get yourself a coffee, go to somewhere with a wide footpath, and just watch for 20 minutes.

Try the corner of Stephen's Green South - if you position yourself right, you'll see cyclists on the footpath (Stephen's Green side, usually but not exclusively, they also use the Grafton/Dawson St side and the footpath between the Luas and the road).

You'll also see cyclists coming from and cycling on to (pedestrianised at lunchtime) Grafton Street and South King Street.

You'll also see cyclists going illegally through the pedestrian traffic light on red, while coming from Surgeons direction and going the wrong way down a one way street, to head down Dawson Street.

If you don't see at least 20 instances of the above in your lunchbreak, I'll buy your coffee for you. If you don't see 20 instances of the above, I'd seriously suggest you should not be cycling and definitely shouldn't drive, cos your eyesight isn't up to much.

Fair enough...do you ever see a Garda stopping any of these rogue cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thargor wrote: »
    Lol what are you on about? You think there are unreported instances of cyclists killing people in this country? It would be a Joe Duffy/Irish Times/Journal.ie/Pat Kenny/Niall Boylon Show multi-week sh1t parade if that ever happened but thankfully its all in your head.
    Don't worry Spook will be along shortly with links to people who have said this because there is no possibility this is yet another of his strawman arguments

Funny you should mention that
    Your claim that the only reason pedestrians in Ireland arent being killed and injured by cyclists (zero) at the same rate as they are by motorists (1-2 per week) is because they've adapted and all learned to leap out of the way of impending death at the last second is probably the stupidest answer to a post Ive ever seen in 12 years of posting on Boards.ie or the internet in general, congratulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Once you acknowledge it I'm ok with that, because the alternative is that you think that in over 25 years in and out of the city I do so by the Enterprise being beemed in and out with my lunch couriered into me.

It's good that you're toning your exaggerations down too, you've gone from avoiding maniacs to just seeing them now.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Fair enough...do you ever see a Garda stopping any of these rogue cyclists?

There's never a guard around when you need one. :) I have seen them nab a guy once for cycling through the pedestrian lights there, but that's about it.

Once you acknowledge it I'm ok with that, because the alternative is that you think that in over 25 years in and out of the city I do so by the Enterprise being beemed in and out with my lunch couriered into me.

Then you're wearing dark glasses and carrying a white cane, mate.

Seriously, accept the challenge. Corner of Stephen's Green, post covid, any given weekday.

It's good that you're toning your exaggerations down too, you've gone from avoiding maniacs to just seeing them now.

"Avoiding maniacs"? What?

I think you have me confused with someone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Then you're wearing dark glasses and carrying a white cane, mate.

Seriously, accept the challenge. Corner of Stephen's Green, post covid, any given weekday.

For what, to avoid them or just to see them? You claim you constantly have to avoid them.

Dig up, or continue to exaggerate and make up tales, the choice is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

However I am also absolutely certain that carry on like in this thread will achieve nothing except more opposition to what you want.

Carry on like what? Pointing out high vis and helmets are bs? Pointing out that there are far worse things that go ignored on the roads every minute of every day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Well this thread has certainly educated me. Cycling on footpaths is either a piece of harmless eccentricity or an essential ploy for cyclists to avoid being slaughtered in vast numbers by maniacal motorists. Any ensuing danger or inconvenience to pedestrians can be blithely ignored or dismissed with flippancy because let's face it -

Bike Lives Matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

For what, to avoid them or just to see them? You claim you constantly have to avoid them.

Dig up, or continue to exaggerate and make up tails, the choice is yours.

Hyperbole seems to be strong when describing cycling. I dunno is it to deflect focus from what's really going on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Spook_ie wrote: »

That doesn't support your claim in the slightest

Which claim, the one where I dispute all the cyclists that say they cause zero harm in collisions with pedestrians?

Interesting article, wonder if any of the Twitter abusers are also Boards.ie members. Anyone want to fess up?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/opinion-cyclists-need-to-learn-to-take-criticism-to-win-friends-1.3986314

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Which claim, the one where I dispute all the cyclists that say they cause zero harm in collisions with pedestrians?

Can you please point to the specific posts where cyclists said "they cause zero harm in collisions with pedestrians"?

Here's a challenge - you count the cyclists on the footpath and I'll count the drivers with a phone illegally in their hand or on their lap.

Who do you think is going to top the poll?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.tii.ie/tii-library/road-safety/Road%2520Safety%2520Research/Collision-Data-and-International-Benchmarking.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwikxpC0_ZPqAhXSThUIHcvxDcEQFjABegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw28EQcrUR-Qk9Faj0Cs3u9-

Chapter 4 is the one you're interested in, especially where they use the word "supposed", by the way of the 3 instances of the word "supposed" 2 of them are in chapter 4 which is specific to Ireland, so yeah I do suspect that not all road (except fatal) incidents are recorded correctly ( if at all )

As regards HIPE it would appear that it doesn't get into RSA hands see recommendation 12

One would hope that things have improved in the last 8 years but I wouldn't be betting much on it

Interesting report, thanks for digging it out. I'll have a good read later on.

But so what? What's your conclusion?

Are you suggesting that incidents involving pedestrians requiring medical treatment following incidents with cyclists go unreported while incidents with people requiring medical treatment after incidents with motorists are fully reported?

I'm actually generalising. Three out of four people cycling are men as reported by Cycling Ireland...

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/cycling-gender-gap-men-more-likely-to-cycle-daily-in-ireland/5555

You might get insulted but my point stands. There is even an acronym for it and used often (not by me, I think it's stupid). Cycling is a fashionable (I mean that in a good way) activity but not the one represented by people who attract much sympathy. You might think Andrew's repetitive novels, jokes about hi viz or dismissive attitude towards anyone who dares to criticise something work but the truth is they don't make one tiny bit of difference. If they did cycling infrastructure would be better here.
    It's awful to see how many women have been scared off the road, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

There's never a guard around when you need one. :) I have seen them nab a guy once for cycling through the pedestrian lights there, but that's about it.

Pears St Garda St is only down the road. Why not drop in and telL them their are “rogue” cyclist cycling recklessly at the top of Grafton st and ask them to do something about it? Nah I wouldn’t either, couldn’t be bothered TBH. Now if a car drove down Grafton St at speed? That I would report... and I suspect a lot of other people would also and I suspect the Gardai would respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry are you actually sticking by your claim that cyclists are killing people in this country and its going unreported and unrecorded?

Interesting article, wonder if any of the Twitter abusers are also Boards.ie members. Anyone want to fess up?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/opinion-cyclists-need-to-learn-to-take-criticism-to-win-friends-1.3986314

Hey Andy and Thelonius - what are your Twitter handles?

Can you please point to the specific posts where cyclists said "they cause zero harm in collisions with pedestrians"?

I wonder what your acceptable level of harm is?

Cos we've already established one cyclist or pedestrian death caused by motorists is too many (we all agree on that), but nobody getting killed means "it's grand" according to you and Thelonius. So what level of injury is acceptable to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's awful to see how many women have been scared off the road, isn't it?

Yes it is. And you carry on here certainly won't attract many.

It's Dominic Cummings position. His actions were fairly harmless but it showed the plebs he above them and above the rules. That's the impression you are creating here. As someone who does cycle this is the attitude I don't want to be associated with. Many women, men, elderly, children will cycle more but don't expect their support because many of us don't like to be associated with people who consider themselves as above us and telling us about the rules we have to obey and they (you) don't.

Sorry are you actually sticking by your claim that cyclists are killing people in this country and its going unreported and unrecorded?

No that was a typo including the word killed instead of just injured. I do stand by people being injured and unreported, probably uncatalogued as being more than zero, something which you said
    Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
    Your claim that the only reason pedestrians in Ireland arent being killed and injured by cyclists (zero) at the same rate as they are by motorists (1-2 per week) is because they've adapted and all learned to leap out of the way of impending death at the last second is probably the stupidest answer to a post Ive ever seen in 12 years of posting on Boards.ie or the internet in general, congratulations.

Hey Andy and Thelonius - what are your Twitter handles?

Try
    https://twitter.com/monktheolonius?s=09 and https://twitter.com/feather_s_?s=09

Poor oul Brian - his head exploded when he found that all the evidence was against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No that was a typo including the word killed instead of just injured. I do stand by people being injured and unreported, probably uncatalogued as being more than zero, something which you said
    Well if its happening it must be on the same level as people being injured by washing machines because you just don't hear about it or see it anywhere outside of a few hysterical anti-cycling posters on here even in Ireland's litigation obsessed culture so Ill change that to effectively zero/statistically insignificant and stand by my original post you quoted that Seans claim about pedestrians only avoiding death by cyclists because they're "watching us" and leaping out of the way just in time being a completely idiotic statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Pretty much sums up the attitude and the arrogance of some of the cycling cult on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes it is. And you carry on here certainly won't attract many.

It's Dominic Cummings position. His actions were fairly harmless but it showed the plebs he above them and above the rules. That's the impression you are creating here. As someone who does cycle this is the attitude I don't want to be associated with. Many women, men, elderly, children will cycle more but don't expect their support because many of us don't like to be associated with people who consider themselves as above us and telling us about the rules we have to obey and they (you) don't.

This is getting ridiculous. "Women don't want to cycle because they don't want to be associated with people from the internet". Yeah right. They don't cycle because they feel unsafe on the roads and in many cases get harassed frequently when they're out on bikes. Issues that should be fixed.

• Advertisement

Abusers? Does your definition of 'abuser' include 'people who present facts and evidence that challenge my own personal prejudice?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement