Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of public toilets in Covid-19 era

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Again I'll ask the question, if I'm out for my own reasons and need the toilet, your logic is you should have stayed at home. I'm sure you've been out before and needed to use the toilet.

Let's stay at home and live like hermits. If anyone goes out and needs the toilet throw them to the wolves they shouldn't have been out anyway. If you need to go you need to go, 20k, 5k or 2k from home

The advice is still to stay at home. Just because things are opening up, doesn't mean you have to go out. Pubs and restaurants being closed, guess what toilets are also closed. If people need to go out and can't think about where to go to the toilet if they need to, it's best they stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Fundamentally this is a public health issue as people will take to relieving themselves in inappropriate areas.
    For me it leaves me more trapped at home than before because I can’t risk it: I have a card that states I have a medical issue that require ax urgent use of facilities but it looks like that won’t help

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The advice is still to stay at home. Just because things are opening up, doesn't mean you have to go out. Pubs and restaurants being closed, guess what toilets are also closed. If people need to go out and can't think about where to go to the toilet if they need to, it's best they stay at home.

Ok grand you stay at home. Seems to be quite a common theme in the posts, god help anyone who's badly in need of the toilets, they can just piss themselves because they should have stayed at home...

It's a public health issue at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Username is very apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gael23 wrote: »
    Fundamentally this is a public health issue as people will take to relieving themselves in inappropriate areas.
    For me it leaves me more trapped at home than before because I can’t risk it: I have a card that states I have a medical issue that require ax urgent use of facilities but it looks like that won’t help

I'd stay well clear of anywhere at the moment till it all calms down....

Sure in work see some still aren't bothered about washing hands....

Use toilet turn on tap splash on a few fingers and walk off....

Now I'm glad of getting into the habit of cleaning before I get into the cab and will be doing this from now on, it's actually shocking how much filth is still coming off onto the wipes and these are meant to be properly cleaned.....

At work we have no facility unless we can make it to the garage and it's happened many times over the years that I wouldn't make it and would have to use a cup or bottle or a hedge somewhere.....

Shocking in 2020 there is nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I'd stay well clear of anywhere at the moment till it all calms down....

Sure in work see some still aren't bothered about washing hands....

Use toilet turn on tap splash on a few fingers and walk off....

Now I'm glad of getting into the habit of cleaning before I get into the cab and will be doing this from now on, it's actually shocking how much filth is still coming off onto the wipes and these are meant to be properly cleaned.....

At work we have no facility unless we can make it to the garage and it's happened many times over the years that I wouldn't make it and would have to use a cup or bottle or a hedge somewhere.....

Shocking in 2020 there is nothing.

The lack of toilet facilities for bus drivers is a disgrace. How hard would it be to put a toilet for drivers at termini where they aren't in place already. Even a few portaloos would surfice as a temporary measure until they got around to putting in permanant toilets.

Is there really a practical solution to the problem? I mean if you find yourself caught short you generally need to be in very close proximity to a toilet, pre-covid or not.

If you're in Merrion Square, a few toilets in BT or wherever aren't going to be much use.

I guess DCC could provide some Portaloos dotted about the city centre. Having said that they'd probably be pretty rank after a couple of hours.

Is there really a practical solution to the problem? I mean if you find yourself caught short you generally need to be in very close proximity to a toilet, pre-covid or not.

If you're in Merrion Square, a few toilets in BT or wherever aren't going to be much use.

I guess DCC could provide some Portaloos dotted about the city centre. Having said that they'd probably be pretty rank after a couple of hours.

This is where those that can't go out actually could plan better knowing there is one available....

Shocking that the main city as Dublin is the streets are the toilet.....

Boardwalk is also used regularly....

There were public toilets all around the city, even recall them when I was much younger.
    They knocked them all or filled them in.

There was one in ballsbridge too and was put up for sale but since has been demolished and nothing in its place. Think it had 1904 or close to that on build date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

maxsmum wrote: »
    Does anyone know anywhere in town (Dublin) with a toilet that's open these days? I need to bring my son in and I just read that even if BT/Arnotts open via preregistering, toilets will be closed. I was in Insomnia the other day, toilets closed. Surely there must be ones open somewhere?
    Also aren't we meant to be washing our hands?!

When I was growing up there were public toilets everywhere, even in the centre of O'Connell Street (down some stairs under the central reservation).
    Unfortunately I also remember a lot of public toilets being very smelly with a strong smell of urine, they also had that shi1t greaseproof paper which made an awful mess :)

They all seemed to close down and get bricked up in the 1980s, Antisocial "carry-on" was a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Those rather expensive French ones that automatically steam-clean themselves between users will come into their own now. There used to be one in Nenagh - not sure is it still there - it cost the council a fortune, but it would seem money well spent now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This is where those that can't go out actually could plan better knowing there is one available....

Shocking that the main city as Dublin is the streets are the toilet.....

Boardwalk is also used regularly....

There were public toilets all around the city, even recall them when I was much younger.
    They knocked them all or filled them in.

There was one in ballsbridge too and was put up for sale but since has been demolished and nothing in its place. Think it had 1904 or close to that on build date.

if it built in 1904 it be built by Brits, we decide to knock them down.
    I remember when public toilets were pretty common.
    Why were they torn down?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why were they torn down?

Cost. Potential for scumbag behaviour around them.
    Probably afraid of claims too.

You couldn't have an unattended toilet in most urban areas here, two legged animals would kick the living sh1t out of it in jig time.

Well councils need to do something urgently to prevent a different kind of public health emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

This is a huge pain in the hole.

My wife is heavily pregnant. We live well within walking distance to town but can’t go anywhere without the car, or for more than an hour or so because of needing an emergency toilet.

Why were they torn down?

Amazing that when you think about they actually did some good, it could have been 1914 or 1904 but was definitely around them times, honestly wouldn't have expected to see it knocked....

Scum bags need to be shown they can't carry on in our society as they are, if they want to destroy things then pay or be put to work at fixing.

Many public toilets at train stations shut due to this also but then it just creates another issue where they will piss and sh1t anywhere.

I bring likes of Dettol wipes everywhere now and even using toilet in work I'll wipe anything that I'll be in contact with and you want to see the filth that it picks up especially off the toilet roll holder, these should be getting thoroughly cleaned but obviously aren't.

What are we paying so many taxes for and the businesses paying such huge rates.

I can't see why some proper public toilets can't be dotted around the city and have a better Garda presence all the time as it's going back to hardly seeing any of any at all, litter warden or hell get attendant and have a crew going around looking after the maintenance and so on...

Cost. Potential for scumbag behaviour around them.
    Probably afraid of claims too.

You couldn't have an unattended toilet in most urban areas here, two legged animals would kick the living sh1t out of it in jig time.

Nothing wrong with fitting USA style prison ones, all metal, bolted down and can't be moved unless blown up.

rahmalec wrote: »
    This is a huge pain in the hole.

My wife is heavily pregnant. We live well within walking distance to town but can’t go anywhere without the car, or for more than an hour or so because of needing an emergency toilet.

I have inflammatory bowel disease so now I can’t go out for 30 minutes after I eat. Will also mean I can’t eat breakfast until I get into work when I go back

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I have seen a few public toilets now opened back up this week

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I have seen a few public toilets now opened back up this week

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nothing wrong with fitting USA style prison ones, all metal, bolted down and can't be moved unless blown up.

Still needs to be maintained and perhaps an attendant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What ever happened to those automatic self cleaning toilets.

beauf wrote: »
    What ever happened to those automatic self cleaning toilets.

They removed them. Ridiculous.

Still needs to be maintained and perhaps an attendant.

Exactly as anything in this world, it would create employment and to be honest I'd prefer to actually see something come of the huge taxes paid and brought in.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They removed them. Ridiculous.

They may have been too expensive to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In addition to toilets businesses should be obliged to provide hand washing facilities in the present time, this should be at the door. Hand sanitiser is perfect substitute and isn't provided either in many cases.
    Lots of people calling for things to re-open, but not so many calling for the proper measures which would allow this to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

beauf wrote: »
    They may have been too expensive to maintain.

And what about roads they are too expensive to maintain but are still looked after. Its all about priorities.

Its a standard Council answer to a lot of things. Rubbish bins get removed because they are too expensive to maintain so people throw rubbish everywhere now they'lll be pissing and sh!tting everywhere.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    And what about roads they are too expensive to maintain but are still looked after. Its all about priorities.

Its a standard Council answer to a lot of things. Rubbish bins get removed because they are too expensive to maintain so people throw rubbish everywhere now they'lll be pissing and sh!tting everywhere.

Well they literally are and did of course when they were in place but it's a major issue and if we really wasn't to get into the 20th century never mind it's now the 21st we really need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jrmb

An update shared by L1011 on the Dublin forum:
    L1011 wrote: »
    DCC are constructing temporary public toilets to be in use by Monday.

https://www.thejournal.ie/public-toilets-dublin-3-5116502-Jun2020/

I hope these will become common and permanent across the city. The onus shouldn't be on restaurants and pubs to make toilets available in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

jrmb wrote: »
    An update shared by L1011 on the Dublin forum:

I hope these will become common and permanent across the city. The onus shouldn't be on restaurants and pubs to make toilets available in the first place.

If you are providing food and drink that goes in one end then I think you should provide facilities for what comes out the other, but I don't see that they need to provide sanitary relief for anyone not using there services.

Councils should still provide toilets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement