Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&E and private health insurance

• 28-05-2020 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

My 3yo son had to spend 1 night in the hospital and have an emergency procedure.

A week later, we got a letter stating that my son's insurance status is unclear, along with a claim form for a private health insurer. On admission, there were no details asked about private health insurance.

What's the story here, do I have to fill in this form, otherwise pay from my own pocket?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

rocky wrote: »
    My 3yo son had to spend 1 night in the hospital and have an emergency procedure.

A week later, we got a letter stating that my son's insurance status is unclear, along with a claim form for a private health insurer. On admission, there were no details asked about private health insurance.

What's the story here, do I have to fill in this form, otherwise pay from my own pocket?

Check with your insurer. But I'm guessing that they are trying to claim off insurance rather than mark you as a public patient.

Insurance companies ask that you don't sign these forms as it simply increases insurance costs and you get no actual benefit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Darc19 wrote: »
    Insurance companies ask that you don't sign these forms as it simply increases insurance costs and you get no actual benefit

+1 OP, if your son went in via A&E and spent just one night in the hospital, there is no earthly reason why your insurance should pick up the tab.

Regardless of what the hospital is now attempting, he was treated as a public patient and that’s the end of it. Your tax paid for his treatment, you shouldn’t have to pay again via your health insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭billyhead

You would though be charged an in patient levy.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

billyhead wrote: »
    You would though be charged an in patient levy.
    Which the private health insurer will then reinburse.

OP, best to contact your insurer to ask them the course of action they would recommend.

Advertisement