Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broom

Options
  • 28-05-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

I’ve got lots of this growing around my garden, it’s a new site within the last few years.

I’ve pulled / removed the roots of a good bit of it. It’s back this year, more than ever.

I see some people consider it as an invasive species and others as a plant.

I can’t stand it and want to remove it. What’s the best way to eradicate it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

I very much doubt it's broom, more likely Marestail.

Can you post a pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

My apologies it is broom.
    Cutting it at the base should eradicate it quickly enough as it generally doesn't regrow.
    This years plants will be from previous years seed so as long as you remove them on an ongoing basis it will die out.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

Great, thanks. Will try hit it hard over the next few weeks. Just spotted the seed pods when I was taking the pictures. I read somewhere that the seeds can lie dormant in the ground for up to 80 years.

Advertisement