Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

With
    Not knocking farmer Phil but just watching his video from 3 days ago now. He always seems to be on the back foot! They are only going servicing the silage fleet, at the harvester now. I’d thought they’d be winter jobs

With 500 cattle I'd say he would be a shade busy during the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Gillespy

https://youtu.be/1AmWCYvFOMY

This guy is very interesting

Farm yard is a nice mix of new and old buildings. Bit restrictive but nice to have I think. Means he needs the little old Masseys as much as big modern stuff. Busy farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Been watching some YT videos tonight and noticed this:
    https://www.patreon.com/join/Ollysfarm

WTF? :eek:
    For an extra £12pa you can get a signed photo of a 135.

Is he the eejit or is it us? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

Been watching some YT videos tonight and noticed this:
    https://www.patreon.com/join/Ollysfarm

WTF? :eek:
    For an extra £12pa you can get a signed photo of a 135.

Is he the eejit or is it us? :confused:

Olly has completely sold out. Every video is him talking about a bit of kit they're thinking of purchasing or giving a plug for equipment they have purchased.

That's fine and the content is free but it is of no interest to me any longer. Even the way he bangs on about having a positive mindset. I'm not even sure he believes it when he says it. He's just doing a Jedward and trying to stay relevant.

I'm gravitating away from Olly's Farm and Tom Pemberton and more towards Farmer Phil!

Also have a FarmFlix account and it's the best out there in fairness. They were local recently and apparently membership is through the roof this year. Delighted for them and John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

Olly has completely sold out. Every video is him talking about a bit of kit they're thinking of purchasing or giving a plug for equipment they have purchased.

That's fine and the content is free but it is of no interest to me any longer. Even the way he bangs on about having a positive mindset. I'm not even sure he believes it when he says it. He's just doing a Jedward and trying to stay relevant.

I'm gravitating away from Olly's Farm and Tom Pemberton and more towards Farmer Phil!

Also have a FarmFlix account and it's the best out there in fairness. They were local recently and apparently membership is through the roof this year. Delighted for them and John.

Yea see farm flix are quitting YouTube and just concentrating on their app. Infairness the quality is very good. Not overly fond of john. He tries too hard to be the the center of attention I think. He doesn’t have the charisma for in front of the camera all the time but he is building a good product and seems to be extending the team. Some good productions but they need to start extending beyond the farmer in Northern Ireland and extend into Ireland and GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭davidk1394

If any of ye are on Facebook, Andy's Little Homestead is a good page. Lots of interesting videos

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=547076536659485

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Can't stand olly tbh, it's all about what kit they buy (daddy buys)
    Find Tom Pemberton and Farmer Phill v down to earth, delighted both of them are getting free stuff or things on demo
    They put in hard graft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭youllbemine

Tileman wrote: »
    Yea see farm flix are quitting YouTube and just concentrating on their app. Infairness the quality is very good. Not overly fond of john. He tries too hard to be the the center of attention I think. He doesn’t have the charisma for in front of the camera all the time but he is building a good product and seems to be extending the team. Some good productions but they need to start extending beyond the farmer in Northern Ireland and extend into Ireland and GB

Agree re moving beyond the north. It is very NI focused and also too dairy and silage focused imo.

Would be interesting to see more of the smaller side of things too or even a few vegetable farmers. There is a lot of small operators doing interesting things. Snail farming or anything!

It cant all be 250+ acre dairy farms and millions of investment. I get that it's probably easier for them to fill 30-40 minutes of content as there is something to talk about. But would like to see the odd episode where there maybe isn't as much of an interview style and more of a following a man/woman on their family (1 person) farm for a day or else a different business than the big dairy/tillage/silage side of things. All of them seem to have employees of some sort and be of the big farmer variety.

Anyway, I will be signing up again next year because it's a great watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Gerry6420's silage videos were good, he has a tidy silage setup. He has no love loss for Herron trailers! Hopefully he will have the 3650 back in action for the second cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Gerry6420's silage videos were good, he has a tidy silage setup. He has no love loss for Herron trailers! Hopefully he will have the 3650 back in action for the second cut.

Gerry and the father are top class to be fair. No bull, just good farmers that like to have everything as good as they can.
    I think Farmer Phil is very good, always very realistic.
    Cameron on The Sheep Game in Scotland is excellent too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I noticed a lot of the YouTubers now plugging products. You start to get a bit weary of it after a while. It's cheap advertising for the manufacturers.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I noticed a lot of the YouTubers now plugging products. You start to get a bit weary of it after a while. It's cheap advertising for the manufacturers.

My wife says the exact same about her Instagram stories. Nothing is real its all for sale.

Ifarmwefarm is gone very bad for plugging stuff. I'm fed up of it at this stage. I'd love to set up an Instagram page but seems like a lot of work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Tileman

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Ifarmwefarm is gone very bad for plugging stuff. I'm fed up of it at this stage. I'd love to set up an Instagram page but seems like a lot of work

Did I see your new parlour featured on face book David?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hes gone brutal altogether, He had a great channel and tbh i think he has ruined it. Farmer Phil is at least upfront and says if he gets soemthing for free or a reduction. He was very honest about the milk replacer from liffey mills

Tileman wrote: »
    Did I see your new parlour featured on face book David?

Yes a few photos were taken. One of the agri media outlets contacted me wanting to do a video about it. I said I would do it but when I'm ready.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Hes gone brutal altogether, He had a great channel and tbh i think he has ruined it. Farmer Phil is at least upfront and says if he gets soemthing for free or a reduction. He was very honest about the milk replacer from liffey mills

Very true. His hand is out for everything and anything. Farmer Phil shows the ups and downs with their business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭ABlur

I've started watching I do Agri, a Galway lad. He's farming at the other extreme to the lads mentioned above in Farmflix. Very handy with the welder and around machines. From his videos I've been able to do a basic oil and filter change in my Case 785, a job I used to give the mechanic. So if I do Agri sets up a Patreon account I'll have to stump up! 🀑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I'd love to set up an Instagram page but seems like a lot of work

What would you hope to achieve by setting up a page? (Don't mean this in a cynical way, but at least with youtube you would get a few euro based on the number of views)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Always makes me wonder why the Funky Farmer doesn't get any demo models off local dealers

Farmer Phil got mowers in his last video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

ABlur wrote: »
    I've started watching I do Agri, a Galway lad. He's farming at the other extreme to the lads mentioned above in Farmflix. Very handy with the welder and around machines. From his videos I've been able to do a basic oil and filter change in my Case 785, a job I used to give the mechanic. So if I do Agri sets up a Patreon account I'll have to stump up! 🀑

He did some job on the fert spreader he refurbished.

timple23 wrote: »
    What would you hope to achieve by setting up a page? (Don't mean this in a cynical way, but at least with youtube you would get a few euro based on the number of views)

I don't think I'd have the patience to set up cameras and edit content to make a 10 minute video clip and upload it to YouTube. I think an Instagram account is easier to build followers and if it goes well then make videos for YouTube. I wouldn't be doing it for financial gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

I don't think I'd have the patience to set up cameras and edit content to make a 10 minute video clip and upload it to YouTube. I think an Instagram account is easier to build followers and if it goes well then make videos for YouTube. I wouldn't be doing it for financial gain.

At least you'd have a better chance of winning some of those like and share competitions as a lot of those winners seem to be handpicked rather than randomised.

Every video atm seems to be silage. I see grasstec have started a channel, the IFJ and traditional farming media don't seem to be focusing on youtube at all, I suppose they want their content paywalled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

timple23 wrote: »

You'd need to be in big viewership before you get paid by YouTube. You could get revenue from a page quicker if that is what you are trying to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

emaherx wrote: »
    You'd need to be in big viewership before you get paid by YouTube. You could get revenue from a page quicker if that is what you are trying to achieve.

Would say farmer Phil make a wage from it weekly?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭jd_12345

Not massive I would think. My thinking would be around 10k per year ish (and growing continuously obviously) Handy money but a lot of time goes into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

https://statsmash.com/calculator/farmer-phil-net-worth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emaherx

Not quite, but it would be a nice supplementry income. But plenty of work to earn it too, not everyone who runs around their farms with a camera is going to make as much.

You need at least a 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of video playtime before you get paid anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'll be getting the handycam out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

emaherx wrote: »
    Not quite, but it would be a nice supplementry income. But plenty of work to earn it too, not everyone who runs around their farms with a camera is going to make as much.

You need at least a 1000 subscribers and 4000 hours of video playtime before you get paid anything.

You'd also need the depth of content to keep it going. Probably partly why IFarm WeFarm is doing up the Fergie - can't be showing feeding cows and spreading slurry every day. Got to keep it fresh.
    That's where Phil has it - he has the calves, contracting, fixing of stuff, etc. Makes for something interesting to watch every day.

Takes all sorts but I don't know how Grassmen made it so big. It's just same sh1te different (very expensive) shovels with them. Always has to be the biggest and fanciest.

Advertisement