Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I wish his yl would keep her leg off the dash , head on impact could lead to horrible injury , another irish vid with serious hsa breaches as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A friend of ours did the slew bearings on our one a few years ago. We used a few bottle jacks to get the levels right and we also ratched strapped the boom both ways to uprights/H irons in a shed to keep it stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Agree - irrespective if your driving on a motorway or your local lane always wear your seat belt.

There was a video circulating a few years ago of a young teenage girl sitting in the passenger seat of a horse lorry with her two feet on the dash. The lorry was involved in a collision and the girl's face was more or less stripped of her head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

I'm fierce strict with the kids on things like this in the car or on the farm, they look at me like I've two heads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,900 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Interesting video for people like myself that never ploughed. From 'Mr cvx'.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

This video sums up "climate change"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭visatorro

See mcmilkingit had a tip with the dribble bar. Won't be the last fella to give them a belt. Worked out OK. Used to watch drews farmlife and he was greasing the dribble bar in the yard. Drove off without thinking about folding them up and made **** of it! Never seen how it faired out. Good to see the bit of hardship put up aswell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

@IFarmWeFarm7615 just looking at your future volume washer proceedings.

This is my own setup. Imagine the pit wall is not green..😬 and there's no black humates on the mats.

It's gun barrel to get the final bit into the pit and valve with geko fitting to hook to the gun barrel and volume washer pipe. But that was done by my parlour installer 14 years ago when parlour went in.

I have the reel for outside but the reel is very hard on the yellow pipe. That reel is up about a year and there's a full roll on it and the pipe is already blistering in places.

Inside in the pit where the pipe is on the hooks the pipe is lasting years with no blistering. There's a full roll of piping in the pit there and it's three lengths of the pit of an eight unit long parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭IFarmWeFarm7615

I think thats the best way to go about it, just down the side of the pit floor like your first photo. I was told you have to keep the pipe up of the ground for Bord Bia so brackets like you have there will do that. I bought some of that double walled 1” pipe instead of the standard yellow pipe, supposed to last longer 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Thanks for the photos, looking forward to getting it up and running this week hopefully 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sandman30

In the UK precast concrete is fully tax deductible in year of expense, whereas I believe concrete poured Insitu is not deductible at all. Hence it's tax reasons that makes the precast panels more popular in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭lmk123

I’d be more worried about the sealing element of the pre-cast sections than tax to be honest

I don't like the reel. As you said hard on pipe. The fittings on the side will give trouble aswell. And if it's a job to reel in or out you'd be less likely to do it if running late. I like the hoses hanging down. Even if Adrian just had one at each end of the pit. The pressure from the volume wash will still do alot and you haven't a hose on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The reel is a real job winding and unwinding.

It depends how much toe space is under the cow standing area too. When these are kicked in, you won't be walking on them. I'd rather myself just keep the volume washer nozzle just at waist height and walk along with it. When you have to fire the water stream on then you start spattering everywhere.

I know what your saying. I'd probably keep banging my head, or slip if I had to keep stooping for the hose. If you turn the nozzle to be like a sprinkler or don't open it fully the slurry won't splatter as much but I know what you're saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭fulldnod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Danny healy ray

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Saw it mentioned in the dairy thread that slurry spread by splash plate keeps badgers off a field but they just walk between the lines of slurry from a trailing shoe. Might be related?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

PX Farms getting a lot of love at the minute on TFF. I went to watch a few of their videos and a couple were 1hr long! Needless to say I didn't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Same! Couldn't bring myself to put in the time to watch it and take it all in. How big a place is it?

James took on the family farm of 750 acres and 150 acres in contract, under P.X. Farms Ltd. Now we are a 51-strong team and farming 12,500 acres (~8,500 around Cambridge, ~2,000 in Lincolnshire, and ~2,000 in Bedfordshire/Hertfordshire) with a mixture of rentals, owned land, and contract farming.

He'll soon be catching up with my enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I have to say I'm really enjoying px farms. Very informative and well presented. Learning loads I wouldn't have had a clue about tillage. Not really relatable to Ireland of course unless maybe coolmore, but entertaining.

My Sundays are filled with YouTube at this stage, grasstec, farm theory, px, Adrian and Phil taking a fair chunk of time to get through.

It's still hard to beat Harry's Farm for getting information across to the general public.

Himself and Clarkson are doing sterling publicity work for the Ag sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭fulldnod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,900 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see on Olly Bloggs latest video that some farm in South America rang up Fendt to order 300 Fendt 724's.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Gillespy

He joking about that. It was they ordered 300 tractors based on his videos saying the 724 is the best tractor ever so Fendt in return gave him a free 728 with the one he bought.

Not much to do in this weather so watched Tom P for the first time in ages. Don't normally criticise other peoples farms, but Tom Pembertons farm is quite rough considering all the recent investment. Noticed that they sealed one of the silos with dung, yard dirty, junk lying about, bent/battered gates, etc.

Did they get the newly laid concrete yard that was holding water fixed - that was a mess too, but don't think Tom can be blamed for that one.

Glad to see his 2nd & 3rd cuts seemed to go better than the 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭flyer_query

On his latest silage cut, himself and farmtheory are very vocal about the compactor. Whats the thoughts on here?

I do note that the pair of them have light enough JCBs on their pits which look to weight less than 10tonnes versus what you would see in ROI with something like a JCB 435 which weights 4 ton more plus it will carry more so weight difference is more than just the gross weight difference of 4 ton so for this reason alone a compactor is worth it. Appreciate a good pit has a lot to do with the pit driver but the compactor is a big investment and im sure a pit man doesnt like to see it.

Don't do pit silage here, but suspect would only work on big wide silos where there is room for them both and awareness of the others position.

I think farm theory is a bit more nuanced about it. In one of his older videos he mentioned some ratio relating to weight of grass coming in vs weight of machinery on clamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Farmer Dan

There was always the finest of silage made over the years and nothing died of the hunger due to the lack of a compactor....… why over complicate things? Life's too short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Mr..

I remember on one of the farm flix video's an old timer talking about silage quality. He tests it every year and he made his best silage ever in the 80's.

Advertisement