Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think if I was spending four or five milion I'd check it out, The area is probably well on its way to solving the problem any way.

Unless deer is the problem, it's usually cleared quickly, the department even say that by the time their badger catchers get there the farmers usually have the problem dealt with. I haven't heard of anyonegoing down for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Could you give another example in this thread where he has done so? IMO he is one of the most transparent Irish farming youtubers there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,132 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Putting someones private business up here and a customer at that is pretty sick.

The more you question me, the more I'll condemn it if you like, it's so wrong and unethical

I am not passing comment or arguing about the TB discussion.

I'm questioning the part where you stated "Phil is only here for his own advancement", he has been in this thread long before the farm sale was mentioned. Can you give an example of where he has shown he is purely on this thread for his own benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

YouTube must pay very well. I be hated for saying this look at ifarm we farm 2 tractors bought in 2021 a new mower, a bigger slurry tank, a log splitter, a cement mixer and new bin(40% grant). Not 2 many 50:60 cow men could do that all in the last 12 months. Hard change one tractor but 2 in a few months is very very hard for a ordinary man

• Advertisement

Probably forgetting some stuff there, plus an extension on the house. Some of the purchases could be simply down to a lack of content. Watched todays video and tbh all he did was hunt in cattle and give out a bale, hardly describe it as interesting watching, same with the log splitting video.

Find it interesting how he did the video on the loader camera but hasn't shown the screen when using the pallet forks since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Sir, you're on here saying you wish unvaccinated people aren't given medical care, even said to give them enemas, presumably to punish and degrade. Obvious homophobic connotations there too. Let's not get into who's the sick one here okay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The only person I'd be worried about would be the poor farmer , next on the list to get their slurry spread after that estate, unless the umbilical gear was all flushed out and disinfected unlikely given the hassle of it understandly on the contractors side....

How in theory can the farm even be sold if its locked up with tb as a going concern, especially if buyer doesn't want the herd of cows in place, its a messy situation especially when trying to get 5 million plus for the place

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭straight

And they talk about the youth of today getting offended easily.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I’d say he hasn’t spent that much really

he traded fresh machines for what bought in its place,

if I had a YouTube channel and documented all the good parts we do here - infrastructure, machinery I’d have serious amount of begrudges I’d say

and we’re not big farmers either IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I doubt he's buying a new tractor for the content... more like its been a super year for grazing and milk price which I think is driving alot of investment. I see it on alot of dairy farms. Along with the family farm model of free land and no labour costs...which is the real winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

I think he had the door of the tractor open when loading the cement mixer in the video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Fair play to him I'd say. To be fair, You don't know anything about the man or his financial position. Partner working, off farm income etc. Probably has little/no borrowings prior to the machinery. It's been a decent year for milk although not outstanding considering what lies ahead with fertilizer costs etc. A certain amount will be wrote off for tax purposes. His borrowings probably aren't a patch on some fellas who put in new parlours or built sheds or bought stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Some of the purchases could be simply down to a lack of content.

Often thought about that.

He's a very articulate speaker but I wonder how can a channel that puts up multiple videos a month of fairly mundane farm tasks maintain viewers?

I'd say YouTube has a lifespan eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Given olly has in the last year-18 months has taken on well N of 2million in kit with quoted crop performance being below average i'd reckon it's the barn conversions and office lets that pay the bills. It's not really an avenue open to irish farms but keeps the show on the road for plenty of UK farms/estates what can be earned from simply owning land or property.

Its because he puts up clickbait type headlines, "ultimate log set-up", i'd say there wasn't much difference between that video and the other video he did other than a new shiney steel plate.

I reckon this might be the ts115a he was talking about

I did think that was very click-baity. It looked like the log splitter was on the front loader too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Seen there were over 20 new posts here so I knew something was going on.

1. TB - the whole area around there will know of the TB problems. It will be common knowledge and even moreso if they are selling up due to it.

Also, if you think you are not being talked about when you're either in difficulty or bounty then you're very naive.

2. In regards to I farm buying another tractor. So what? Concentrate on what's going on in your own yard and fields. Let him run his place the how he wants. If he is making hay whilst the sun shines from you tube then more power to him.

Everything is click bait. That's the nature of the business. Can't believe how easy offended people are. I spent 120k out of cash flow on machinery this year. The neighbours must be going mad. Spend on average 50k a year on buildings/infrastructure since I started farming 5 years ago. Built a new 4000 sq foot house and paid for it out of savings. God if it only got out I'd be lynched.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Well that proves the point that farmers are loaded! 🤣

• Advertisement

I don't see anyone claiming to be offended? Few have commented how they can't see where Adrian is getting the cash for all the purchases but that's it.

As for the TB thing, If you don't think there's an ulterior motive for his comment then I think that's pretty naive tbh. First thing that popped into my head was, hope someone interested in buying the farm would google it's name bringing up the above post, Farm doesn't sell and the lad above holds onto his big job.

Care to show how a prospective buyer could find that comment by using google, I tried to and couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

FFS folk. That place is on at €5m. The people bidding that won't be relying on contents of an internet forum to sway them one way or another.

Plus I think Phil would be more likely to hold on to his job by saying nothing rather than trying to scupper the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭cjpm

Phil will be regretting joining boards considering some of the stuff written here about him in the last few hours.

He made a regrettable comment.

Keyboard warriors lined up to lynch him for it.

So much for Attack the post, not the poster.

A great pity. I enjoyed his posts and insights how YouTube works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Deub

It is not a regrettable comment. He is free to say what he wants. Some people didn’t like it but you can’t please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

For feck sake. If someone is selling their place, then the Tb issue should be well announced in advance.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I could keep saying this till the cows come home but fellas, not just you 2017, need to slap themselves with a wet sock in this country and realise that to make a decent income you need to diversify. Classic question are you in the farming business or the money making business.

Spending money on vital equipment to carry out your business does not mean your "loaded". I was alot more "loaded" when I had a cushy 39 hour week.

Iirc he was looking at the screen when positioning the tipsy bin full of sticks? Wasn't shown to viewers, but that was my impression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Agreed too,

i hope Phil stays on here, he's one of the boards.ie farming family at this stage.

shame on anyone here trying to get one up on him, especially with their 'clickbait' posting.

The 'thanks' button is very high with anyone who posted in favour of farmer Phil, I imagine that must mean something.

Advertisement