Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kk.man

I actually thought it wasn't one of his best videos. Some are hilarious and some are a let down.

I found myself watching far too much as well. You'd get nothing done! Farmer Phil is brilliant, Tom can be too much chatter while Adrian is good. I love watching Gerry's kit for the detailed care he takes of it. Gone off I do agri completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya I get a lot of enjoyment out of Phils videos too. I was watching one recently where he was doing mowing and was only going servicing the mower before he headed off. I was thinking to myself why in the name of god didn’t he have that serviced last backend, before thinking again to myself that there’s more than enough times where I’d pull out something just before using it too! Even though Phil is farming a big scale he’s still more relatable than say Tom pemberton. And like you said I’ve no interest what so ever in the American farm channels. The only British one id really watch is the sheep game. He’s a top notch lad too. Phil, I farm and the sheep game are my big 3

I liked the driving, but what I liked most about it was it was short. I don't watch much in the line of entertainment farming if ya get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

I gave a little wry smile last week when Phil introduced the new Trimble auto steer. He made sure to emphasize that he didn't buy it. I was waiting for him to mention the feedback he's read on here!

Vet YouTuber, extra points for mentioning hills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭einn32

Mr CVX had a good video where he went out to Europe to buy tractors. Passed the Steyr factory and gave some history. I enjoy his videos in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭9935452

He was always a bit hyper, just look at some of his earlier videos

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭divillybit

@farmerphil135, really enjoyed your last few videos with the Samaz butterfly mower... You weren't long knocking that 30 acre field in todays video! Some job!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" tune was epic at the start of the Samasz mower video from @farmerphil135 a week ago. Absolute banging tune to start a video. I'd the like button pressed before Phil even said a word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Hats off to Phil for the video on the calf rearing, this year. It's tough mentally dealing with times like that in farming. It will make you a better stock person and a better person overall with relisence. Few years ago I had an outbreak of crypto and rotavirus at the same time in Suckler calves, loosing nearly 30% of of the calves in less than a week. This was despite the best efforts of drips and vets. At the time it was rough, but once a bit of sunshine hits, you start planning. Simple things can make a big difference. I moved the calving to April and outdoors and vaccines the cows for rotavirus, became anual about cleaning the calving pens and disinfecting

Phil, maybe a simple thing might be to get the farmers that you have built up a realtionship with to give the RSV and Ibr vaccine about 4-5 days before you collect them (obviously this can be factored into the price) and even look to only take calves over 17days. Remember they need farmers like you to take these FRXs. It works both ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

His content has gone to the dogs too since he finished the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Just watching farmer Phils mowing with the triples. You should throw that back swath out from the ditch with the grouper, save gathering in any trash or worse, stones with the rake.

Good video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Phil needs to reduce the shed stocking rate

get a 60 teat mobile feeder and take 2 batches of 50 out of the shed in March as soon as weather settles down

he has the land for it, just needs to get some form of shelter for them. Calves will turn inside out being reared outside imv and will be nicely transitioned onto grass

you need serious sheds to hold 120 calves in one batch, disease runs through them rampant

we pushed 20 extra calves onto our feeder this year, 65 compared to 45 and had a lot more sickness in that shed than we had previously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭cjpm

Having only one shed is a recipe for disaster. You’ve far better chances if they are in separate groups and use separate feeders too. Hygiene is critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

Cheers. Planning on using more licensed music now in the bigger videos now that theres a reliable website to use

Everyone is entitled to there opinion but I’ve tried many ways of rearing calves. I’ve done individual pens of 6 in 4 sheds with 2, 6 tit feeders and trolley feeding 280 calves taking 4 hours twice a day to feed them and had plenty of issues with pneumonia. I’ve done 4 stations 4 pens and every time the weather or wind changed a different pen was sick. I’ve found the one big pen has given us less pets, less sickness in 2019,2020 and 2021(except for after the tb test in may that year) this year has been the exception.

i know our biggest problem is the sheds which I can do little about as we can’t afford to build a purpose built shed out of cash flow nor get a loan.

im planning on putting in a slatted tank in the hay shed and run channels into the low roof lean to which should keep bedding drier and let me power wash the stations every week. As for the other shed I’d only rear one batch of calves if it was my choice and cut back the farm to our own land.

On a different note. Anyone else see Cole the cornstar put a sock in the exhaust of the big case when it was loaded up to go for a show to stop the air flow turning the turbo? I can’t get my head around how the turbo spins because of air travel into the exhaust while being transported? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it on another American channel to

It was a harsh spring. Wet damp weather and changing temperatures. Perfect for pneumonia.

Even someone with sucklers would have had calves getting sick in it with scours this spring.

I wonder if you had a method of picking up elevated temperatures in calves early and isolating those calves in a sick bay to avoid contagion. Would an infrared camera or something help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭minerleague

Not sure but think when tractor isn't running there is no oil getting to turbo??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,656 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I'd be sticking in lads next year re not taking calves before 28 days old next year, and no bollicking registering them as older than they are, re losing out on contracting work with the new regulations coming in unless they Bobby the calves what choice will they have only to keep them the extra 2 weeks, their lucky to have a outlet like yourselves to take the calves and bar they're pig ignorant they'll see that too, it can't be easy on Liv either losing numbers like that given the effort she puts into them either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭einn32

The shed is killing ye. It's not for calf rearing. But if ye can't put up a new one then I guess it will be just doing the best with what ye have. It's tough going when you have a lot of sick calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Get them outside, it’s the only way

he has the gator now and they have the land

how long is all the sickness costing time atm

collecting 50 calves a go and training them to a feeder takes a lot of time

2 bunches of 50 outside would make a massive difference IMO

a friend reared 200 heifer calves gathered from about 10 different herds this spring on a 50 teat outside

they’re smashing

if you keep doing the same thing phil and keep loosing the calves it’s a bit silly phil

It won’t take that long to feed 100 calves outside with a trailer feeder, an hour max

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

For some reason tiktok won't link on here.

But anyway.. JCB telehandler ..@farmerphil135 .. Good man yourself. 😅

👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Can't see how the turbo would spool while tractor was being transported.

It's basically in a closed pipe, even if both exhaust and inlet valves in a cylinder were slightly open at the same time the airflow is highly unlikely to push back through the intercooler and the airfilter.

Cole is another fellow best experienced in small doses.. ....

just watched the farmer Phil video with the kubota. It sure looked like a super machine. There’s the usual big 3 of tractors, jd, Massey and nh. Kubota must be vying for top 5 at this stage. They’ve come on no end from the early 00’s.

on the baling, for anyone that does it, why does the alarms sound so much when the bale is ready to drop out? It’s seems a bit excessive. Must be very annoying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

It's the alarm for the net, it comes on a few seconds before the net starts to run and it's giving you a warning to stop basically.

ah Right. Well you definitely would be aware of it anyhow! Must do your head in, it’s a piercing sound

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Sounds worse when you hear it through a phone than in the tractor,Am often on the phone and people would ask me what the buzzing sound is in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭divillybit

Abou 37mins / 40 mins into this video he mentions taping up an exhaust of a machine when transporting it, to stop the vanes spinning but think its mainly older machines as newer ones are so restricted at the exhaust. If the engine is switched off when being transported the bearings aren't being oiled apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'm curious about the sums around the fuel usage he spoke about.

Advertisement