Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Didn't see it myself in Phil's video either, and I was never concerned about getting my hands dirty back when I was younger and at that work, however, I've since been educated in other industries & not protecting your hands from oil and dirt is not good practice. I say I spent 10 years with black fingernails.

Like you I used to see doing the job as more important than being clean but its not.

And any lad that would look for a box of baby wipes for the tractor would get a boot in the hole and be sent home with himself.

Now I'm older, if I asked for a way to clean my hands and was given that answer by the man in charge, he'd be doing the baling himself, with a sore hole!!!!

Latex gloves are not expensive and neither are wipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

There’s rolls of white paper and black (milkers) gloves in the workshop for the lads to use when greasing or whatever. There’s also a roll of white paper and a few rags on every tractor in the yard.

If any lad looks for baby wipes on top of that then it’s left at home he needs to be because he certainly doesn’t have the work ethic needed for contracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You sound like some rooter.

Lad wanting to keep himself and the gear he's operating tidy= Lack of work effort.

Absolute nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

It has yes and active cab suspension. With a load behind its grand but with the baler it’s bouncy. Seat doesn’t seem right it’s either rock hard or flat.

we carry rags in all tractors and whatever they take off is acceptable for us. I do carry wet wipes in the piping tractor to give the hands a good clean as we often get fed while we work

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Well health to enjoy she a beauty and I hope she does as well as the 6290 she replaced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Christ, no one can say anything, without a reprimand.

It was only a observation, like every other observation folk have when watching anything. No need for a rant over it.

I’ve definitely been called worse things in my life and I certainly won’t deny that there’s a touch of a rooter in me somewhere! I don’t think any contractor or farmer would survive without some level of rooter blood in them.

But as I stated in the post you replied to there’s plenty of ways there for lads to keep themselves and the gear clean without being ott. As the end of the day it’s agricultural gear, it’s working in dust and dirt all day every day.

We’ve a 30 year old tractor in the fleet here that still does 600-800 hours a year either mowing or baling. It works hard, it has never seen a baby wipe in its life but it’s still very clean for its age and always turns a few heads and gets a bit of attention at any tractor runs we bring it to.

As Phil just said whatever the rags take off should be acceptable. Gear can easily be kept acceptably clean without being ocd about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

I'm pretty sure thaf @farmerphil135 mentioned he'll be at the Ploughing this year. Which day or days will you be there Phil/anyone who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Just cause you enjoy working in a sh it pit of a cab doesn't mean you get to expect someone else should do the same.

If you can’t keep the cab clean without baby wipes then a tractor is not the place for you.

You should have grown out of using baby wipes whenever your mother stopped using them on your arse and potty trained you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

I’ll be there Tuesday and Wednesday and my father will be there Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

Will say hello to your father on the Thursday so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

AY and yours must have given up not long after if clean hands are viewed as such a luxury.

I suppose it makes sense seeing as how ya love working in your personal wallow on the daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

@Siamsa Sessions - enjoyed the latest video. Good to see someone doing stock based YT videos. Keep it up!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks. I mentioned the always insightful posters on here too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but some of the best advice anyone could ever get is from posts and threads on here.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Agree with you. I learned the majority of the little i know online (boards, twitter, youtube etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

What’s the name of the channel again @Siamsa Sessions ? I watched your first video and enjoyed it. I must subscribe this time!

Farmer p’s latest videos his giving out about people who leave negative comments on his videos. When he was getting different tractors to try out every week he was telling the funky farmer it would bring in more views and would help him buy a new tractor. I have never left a negative comment on his videos before but it’s put me right off watching anymore of them. I actually normally watch his videos to help me fall asleep. He was saying any comments good or bad helps his channel, he can sod off now. I’ve heard the funky farmer give out about people commenting suggestions on his videos about farm improvements etc but his always being upfront with that and has never devoted an entire video about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I do a bit of relief milking in a 10 unit and I’m waiting on cows. No need for acrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kk.man

Farmer P is always giving out and in dour form.. don't watch him much.

• Advertisement

I thought his video was fair and well measured. I've seen similar videos from other channel makers. He quite deliberately made the effort to point out it's addressed to less than two dozen people who he feels intentionally make derogatory and negative comments towards him for no other reason than to appear clever.

As for bringing in more views, what do you think the channel is for? It's for making money as a farm diversification. He'd be an idiot not to when he has some momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Not a religious watcher but Farmer P seems a good sort. Like when him and the Funky Farmer interact. Couple of fun videos recently together. And his daughters are a good laugh as well.

Andrew Ward of Wardys Waffle went on a bit of a rant today too about comments on forums. That's the problem with putting yourself out there. Good channel too by the way, similar in quality to Harry's Farm I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just on the subject of wearing gloves. I got these gloves yesterday at the local builders providers. I wore them all day on the jack hammer on a job I'm doing here and they are the job. Serious comfort and a real gel like feel to him

PAWA PG241 – Water-Repellent Thermal Glove | Clenz Ireland

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Thanks. I think this link brings you to it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Df7ncxQZfgD1WG0V6QU7g

Re negative comments: YouTube is all new to me but I think you can delete comments if you are the channel owner. I haven't looked but I'm guessing you can probably block certain posters as well, can you?

@Siamsa Sessions - just seen your video on the shed. Are you getting any treatment for the bottom of the steels to protect them from the dung? I think there was some chat about this in another thread on here.

How often would you expect to be cleaning out the pens during the winter?

I hadn't planned on anything for the bottom of the steel as I'd hope to keep the dung back from the feed rails. Well, keep it back as much as I could anyway. However, I'd be open to any suggestions you might have on it? Would it be a paint or something like that?

I don't know how often I'll have to clean it out. The plan is to put the weanlings on rape outside until Xmas, and then into the shed for Jan and Feb. But the rape is not long set, so I might end up doing this the other way round 😀

I've no suggestions, but someone else on here will know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

@Siamsa Sessions I just watched your first video.

Would it be an idea to get that Jersey cross heifer killed for your own freezer? You probably know yourself you won't be made up with the commodity meat pricing route. And people do rave on dairy heifer eating quality. Probably wouldn't be a big lot of meat either which maybe a plus.

Just may be an idea.

Good idea. I bought FR heifers when I was looking into milking and 4 of them had JE blood. That little one seems to have more JE blood than FR blood!

She was too small to sell with the others earlier in the year so I just left her run on. The plan was to fatten and factory her, but getting the local butcher to kill her for our own freezer sounds better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

Super videos. Well impressed, very interesting. Best of luck with it and the new shed.

Advertisement