Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've been watching the Sobac channel on YT again and I can't for the life of me figure out what their products are doing. The reivews/advertorials have farmers who think it is great - and if their testimonies are correct, then they wouldn't be far off it. Some folk on here must know the farmers reviewing their products and know if they are for real. Looks too good to be true - which in most cases it is.

Getting away from chemical fertilisers is the big thing now and stuff like LAB (Lactic Acid Bacteria) is just something I struggle to understand. Hard to separate the fads from the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A siamsa day out to say my name? I'd watch that twice.

Or a day with Danzy to show what a rooter is.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Jimbo789

I’ve never watched a FarmFlix video but sometimes their ads come up while watching other videos and the guys accent in the ad would put me off watching any of their videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭ginger22

The thing with the Sobac stuff is that it supplies the P and K and lime. It is hard to know in one year if it is doing the job. I know a man that is using it for many years a good operator hasnt used any P, K, or lime since, all going great, in fact he says his soil has really opened up like a sponge to walk it. And there is plant hire Company who do a lot of sports pitched, they always treat them with the "bacteriosol" claim it does a great job to condition the soil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

This stuff must be magic 😂😂

feetiliser that reduces vet call outs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I signed up for the free trial for farm flix. I really enjoyed it. I've zero interest in tractors but watched alot of the south Dakota stuff.

Would you need the ticket for the sprayer to put out this stuff?

I'd love to know if there has been any independent trials done on these claims. I thought false advertising was illegal here. Not saying that they are doing anything illegal, but if it was as they state then surely Teagasc and the likes would be all over it like a rash?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭White Clover

Fertilizer reps sit on the board of Teagasc. They don't want to hear of an alternative to the bag. It's just one other conflict of interest from the state advisory body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭youllbemine

The only people you hear talking in the FarmFlix videos are the lads they're interviewing. You don't hear the questions so no annoying accents to listen to if that's what you're worried about. Fantastic quality videos but sometimes I find it a bit repetitive. Only so many silage contractor interviews that I can tolerate. Third year paying the sub and only still pay it because its €60 for auto renewal and I think a new sub us up around €100. Enjoy the majority of videos all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Depends on the video, There’s interviewing in most of the machinery ones, Stock ones have the farmers doing all the talking. To be fair some of them aren’t that bad, Its the West of Ireland lad that does all the laughing I can’t hack at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Farmer Phil has a good video up on his plans for the farm yard etc fair play to him , he said he is making nice money at the mo at the you tube

@Siamsa Sessions - just watched your recent video on a slatted tank.

Every tank we have was retrospectively dug into sheds. So I speak with a bit of experience here. The cost of putting a tank into a preexisting shed is much greater than a greenfield site.

As you are digging inside the footprint of the shed the tank will be smaller/narrower than greenfield. You'll also end up with increased concrete apron (due to the walls being fully internal) at either end which will hold the dung and make cattle harder to keep clean.

We have tanks the size you are talking about and tbh it is too small to be worth the money. Half that shed is too small imo. Whatever size you think you need, go at least 50% bigger if you can. Might sound facetious, but not far from the truth.

If you want a tank there you might be as quick salvaging what you can from the current shed and starting afresh - not what you want to hear, but with lads tiptoeing around your foundations and steels, the money lost to them would be gained mostly elsewhere and primarily by the end result.

You will be ripping up decent looking concrete and you state the ground has rock. It will be much more economical to go to a greenfield non rocky site and just built a tank. Shed can come later, if funds are not about. Plenty of folk do it.

Don't underestimate the value of an extra foot or so in tank depth and the difficulty getting it in rocky ground.

Also, are you not talking of entering dairy again? If you are still thinking of it, then I don't see the benefit of this without considering how it fits in with a milking parlour and whatever else is needed for a dairy unit.

Funds will be driving factor, but a small tank in that shed might not be the best plan - long term.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks a million for sharing your experience.

I’m in a bit of a quandary as the site for the slatted tank is also where I was thinking might suit the milking parlour. Whatever I do now will have a knock-on effect for years to come.

Having said that, the one thing I’m fairly sure of now after this morning’s video is that I won’t be digging up the concrete in the new shed. A straw blower and a bucket on the loader to clean it out would be relatively small investments and would save a lot of work

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Watched it earlier and basically going to do nothing, every thing 5 to 10 years down the road and father Phil has the say and they in a partnership. The meal house would have to be a priority for quality assurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

He be better building a new shed from scratch hes just waffling on about nothing really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Phil is a tougher man than I am anyway.

It's a lot of hardship to work on like that for another 5-10 year's.

i like phil he is about the pick of you tube for me how much money would you make out of it with his kind of numbers ??

That old shed in the middle of the yard needs to be flattened, absolutely useless imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭fulldnod

Sentimental valve know few lads who were sorry after knocking down 100 year old building's

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

I was thinking the exact same. I think the best thing they could do for a start is have a good hard clear out of machinery and crap around the place and they would easily get 50k for stuff and have a good tidy up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Read an article a while ago & apparently Farmer P in the UK who's channel is small enough earns about £2,000 per month.

Olly blogs in the UK said he earns approx £55,000 per year with approx 60,000 subscribers

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Olly will need it all and more the way he spends money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

They know themselves it's easy come and easy go. Main thing is at the end of the year is what longterm benefits has that income made to them.

Everything he says he wants to do is 5 years away, it’ll end up a massive cost if he does nothing for 5 years

he should be targeting to do something every year going forward

both himself and his dad are handy, they have a digger. If they went away and bought a lock of H irons they’d be well able to fabricate that machinery shed themselves and land it up with the digger

no need to sheet it yet but it would be a start, put the timbers and galvanise on next year. Bite size pieces every year will get them a long way over the next 5 years vs just leaving it as is

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mr..

@Siamsa Sessions how about a 2 bay tank off straw bedded shed, along the length on opposite side to where u park the tractor, if u put it up in line with bay 2 and 3 you could have 2 groups eating on slats and lying back on straw,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Gillespy

He has half a dozen or so streams of money coming in. Did a video on it a few months back. Offices let, houses let, camper vans, grain storage, green waste wood chip which is used to heat the buildings and dry his grain. The sunflower maze thing. Youtube and merchandise as well as the fairly substantial farm itself. Has plans for those old tractors he’s buying and in the meantime is having fun with them tractor pulling and doing tractor runs with them. He’s no fool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

He was talking about putting up a shed this year in the video?. Or as much of a shed as he can afford. Cant knock him for being honest and trying to clear farm debt first. Id imagine its some sort of 3 way partnership with his uncle also so cant just do as he pleases.

Advertisement