Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

A quick back of the envelope calculation is as follows. Based on agriland prices for under 24 Month bulls (o & p grades). On 9 Jan 23 (Around the time he mentioned the bulls going first) the flat price offered was 4.80. So average carcass weight of 283 x €4.80 is €1,358. For second load, assuming they went last week, the price on agriland for under 24 Month bulls (o & p grades) was 4.90. So, average carcass weight of 263 x €4.90 is €1,289.

In my opinion, after having these animals for almost 2 years, this is a very poor return. And these are the best 2 loads I assume!!!

I don't want to come across as negative because I love watching Phil's videos. But, I just feel for all the hard work that is involved in his business, he is relying on Youtube for a living. He has stated before that he doesn't get paid from the farm. That is not a surprise based on the above estimated returns. His father said in the Farm Flix video they featured in that they rent 300 acres of land!!! More madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What's the costs though? All that matters is profit i.e. income minus costs.

There are folk getting closer to the €2k mark, but their costs may be higher. It's all about what is in the bank at the end of the year, not what is on the cheque from the mart.

Did you not watch his latest video? He went through it all. That's what has started this whole debate. He is going on about how great they are having all their own feed produced on the farm. He is trying to say that they are reducing costs this way. But what about the cost of the rent of 300 acres. The time spent growing all these crops. Madness in my opinion. And what about the cost of rearing them as calves?

No not watched it. What was it coming out as when summed up and divided out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭farmerphil135

out of the 200 bulls ill have about 12-15 won’t make the weight by the age and they’ll go for the farm shop for the year. Also they’re just gone over 4 months inside and the other 2 batches are just gone over 3. We tend to put them in as grass starts to run out.

if we switched to 30 month bullocks we’d reduce in output as we have to cater to 3 generations of cattle

and yes I do think 500kg at 24 months is shocking but I’m under no illusion to the type of cattle I’m dealing with

It was difficult enough to follow. He was making it complicated in my opinion by trying to put an equivalent market value to buy in the various 'ingredients' they grew. I don't know why he just didn't give the actual cost. The only reason I can think of is that he hasn't a clue. Which is worrying.

Anyway, I think the overall figure he was coming up with was roughly 3e a day per animal to feed. But this is only for this winter.

What about last winter. And what about the cost of rearing them as calves 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Fair play if that suits him but it's only a bale of hay. There's no hardship in forking hay. If he could do it with silage it would be another thing but you'd have the hay forked to them as quick.

In the heel of the hunt to answer the main question why do we continue to do what we do when xyz is poor to look at is we’re making good money. As our accountant says we’re one of there most profitable farms on their books. The reason the place doesn’t look like it yet is due to the 2016 grain losses which last year we settled the last of the debt. Father Phil won’t do a video on it yet as the wounds from it are still fresh.

the reason I haven’t mentioned profit per head and won’t is it’ll open up a whole other can of worms as to our cost of production (which I done with our advisor) and the p/kg we’re getting

at the end of the day if the account, the tax man, the bank man and your advisor say it’s working then it’s working

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭ginger22

Especially as they dont do the tillage properly anyway. Everything is a cobbles. Always late sowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

As our accountant says we’re one of there most profitable farms on their books

You had mentioned before that you don't take a wage, would that not effect overheads?

Of course it would but that’s another can of worms in another knicker draw.

family farms & partnerships aren’t clear cut straightforward things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s easy talking, not everyone is farming in the Golden Vale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Seems a bit hard on the man. I don’t watch YouTube so I can’t comment either way but I’d say there’s very few perfect farms out there. Even lads that have what they’d consider the perfect farm that suits their needs, a different set of eyes looking into it could find plenty of problems.

Exactly!

But its important to remember the free labour when talking about profitability.

It might be a bit hard on him, but when you are putting yourself out there like he is, and I'm sure, he is taking in plenty of money from YouTube, you have to accept there is going to be some negative as well as positive comments. If you ever go through some of the comments on Youtube, you will see some ridiculously positive stuff. Like he is the best farmer out there. I'm sure even Phil would say he definitely isn't.

The debate, disagreements and differing opinions is what keeps these forums going. It's not always sunny in the garden but at the same time we need to make that we put our points across without rubbing folk up the wrong way.

Fair play to those putting up the videos, not in a million years would I let youse have a look at what I be at!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Jim Simmental

It’s possibly the income from YouTube that could be skewing his accounts too re profitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

If it working for ya Phil that’s all that matters. I think you are learning a lot as you go to which we all are at-i think it’s a great move not taking calves till a month old. Will you have you pay a lot more for them then?

if 2016 was such a tough year for ye financially, then the positivity of ye, but especially your father is admirable. Great that ye are the right side of it now.

would love to see what you actually end up doing with the yard and sheds when the time comes, it’s a fine place. Keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

This is it, whatever about observations & contributions to educating someone where they may be going wrong, a small number can't resist personalising it.says alot about that poster.

• Advertisement

I will say boards is perhaps the most forgiving and inoffensive forum when it comes to discussing youtubers.

I think some of ye would be well advised to avoid the UK forums

There's money coming out of somewhere, how can you survive otherwise? I think the no wage taken was a ploy to get people to subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Precisely.

This all started with a discussion on money. Now there's goading about Youtube and income. Too much jealousy here and it's coming from posters that wouldn't be regular on here.

Good on ya Phil. Give em nothing.

It's a youtube thread. But would some of ye get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

Keep the head up Phil. You're doing a great job and making massive improvements. Some people don't understand that a farmer cant spend all of the money at once. It needs to be spent in a targeted way with clear goals. Money in this industry is hard earned and needs to be spent wisely. We don't all turn into Larry overnight.

Big thanks for showing the work you're doing with the 1200 for your uncle Ian and sharing it. Family is important too. Money wont replace that.

Well that lad from Olly's Farm should avoid them anyway! Rest of us should be okay 😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

To be fair to phil he does watch performance and does do his sums.the only comment id make from experience is there is a big variation in fr bulls and especially je crosses and the day you buy is the day you sell.you should be in a position with your info built up to be more choosey in the calf you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭jaymla627

He mentioned before alot of their calves come from men they do contracting for, leaves them as basically a dumping ground in the above scenario, I wouldn't be taking any calf in a calf to beef system unless a month old and in good nick, the losses been expirenced with soft weak calves are huge and wouldn't be good for the mental health either

If the calves are coming in at small money are they getting a good enough start in terms of colostrum intake etc? Not much benefit for the supplier to put effort into them early days if the money isn't there to justify it.

I find the comment pointing to people who are not regulars interesting considering there are youtubers who only signed up to boards, with their Youtube channel name, who only post in this thread....it's almost like they're using boards for free advertisement..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭straight

You'll never be criticized by someone doing more than you. You'll always be criticized by someone doing less. Remember that.

DENZEL WASHINGTON

Advertisement