Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Back on topic (kinda)

Would people prefer a new video from someone on a Friday or a Saturday evening?

Or does it not matter in the slightest?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Pete on Just a Few Acres Farm did a channel update lately. It didn't paint the prettiest picture of having your life available for all to see tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I watched it yesterday and I was thinking the same. He made several good points about invasion of privacy, unrequested gifts etc. He is willing to have a short chit chat when he is at the weekly Ithaca farmers market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭kk.man

It honestly doesn't matter with my time schedule...if I have time in a couple of days I watch utube.but Saturday evening is good coming to think of it..I wind down around 10pm and watch a few.. I don't really work Sundays except in emergencies just keep it as a family day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

doesnt really matter I’d say in the grand scheme of things but if I was to give my opinion I’d say Saturday too. I actually really like catching up on a few videos early Sunday morning

• Advertisement

I think Saturday evenings is a grand time to upload a video. I think for me your video lengths are perfect. I don’t really have the patience for the 15 minutes plus videos this time of year. I have also not bother much watching silage videos, not directed at anyone but I’m finding them a bit repetitive. I tried watching toms p silage video but I’m finding him a bit much these days and ended up fast forwarding most of it. I can’t argue with his viewing figures so fair play to him. His a lot better viewing then those fast food restaurants plant based adverts which would make you sick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks folks - Saturday evening it is then 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I dont' mind when they go up. I think the key thing is to have a set day/time and stick to that so people get into a routine of knowing there's one coming. I don't be sitting and waiting myself for videos. I'll just watch them whenever I get around to it.

Post edited by roosterman71 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I don't see why they should go to a Pit if the bales are working for system, and is financially viable. I assume its all their own kit in the video, rather than a contractor? Putting in a slab big enough for all their silage wouldn't be cheap. Then add in the bill for the contractor to make the pit. Spiking the bales before they are wrapped doesn't really have much of an impact. We've done it a few times in the past with no issues. One thing

They would probably burn a lot more diesel with a pit, they only tractors being worked hard there are the tractor bailing and the one tractor drawing the bales, the rest are not being pushed, including the 2 shovels. In a pit setup the harvester, 3 tractors hauling and the loading shovel are all being pushed hard all day.

Post edited by twin_beacon on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭endainoz

Really enjoying just a few acres farm, cheers to whoever recommended them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I think @[Deleted User] recommended him a few years ago and that is when I started watching them. One of the best Youtubers that I watch. Pete is a retired architect and if you look back on his videos he tells his story as to why he quit corporate work, working through his depression, renovating his Grandparents house to make it into a home for his family and how they started their smallholding. I particularly enjoy watching them working with the pigs and his vast array of vintage tractors and implements.

Expensive few bales for Pete today. I'm usually envious of their weather, not this week so much..

I normally avoid the American farming YouTubers as I find them a bit obnoxious, picture them as hard core trump supporters and the stuff they get away with compared to nanny state Europe but after reading comments here I’ve watch just a few acres and he seems to be a great watch. His a lovely way about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I see farmers phil latest video all about his plans for farm cafe etc etc costly mistake imno

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Well if it all goes wrong, he still has a fine shed for his farm machinery. He can also move the coffee machine into the house. 😀

Best of luck with the venture Phil.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I thought he was out in the arsehole of nowhere? Would he have enough passing traffic to support it?

Vintage machinery museum should be coming along soon!

With the good weather I've greatly reduced the videos I watch. I wonder are they all seeing a drop off in viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Done Deal just had an influx of Range Rovers for sale.

2 old sound blokes discussing the love of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭jaymla627

He's in a goldmine of a spot your forgetting about how close he is to centre parcs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

What do you think he should do to improve farm income? The farm shop, pumpkins and youtube/vintage machinery are bringing in cash. Should he move forward or go backward? Sitting still is the same as going backward in my opinion. I'd say fair fu*ks to him, getting on with something new and investing a little bit at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭jaymla627

His only other option would be to take out over half a million of a loan and go at cows, which he has next our no interest in, great to see a lad thinking outside the box

Fair play to Phil, capitalising on centre parks beside him and being on a canal cycle trail. My experience of staying in places like centre parks has always being mad to get out of the place after a day or two and always going to google maps / trip advisor to find a few hours relief that’s close by and Longford doesn’t have too many options.

if he is reading this my only advice would be to think long term and design the shed in a way that it can be easily converted to another use in years to come should plans change. Big doors, internal walls that can be knocked etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I'd say he'd be hoping more people on their way home from centre parcs might stop off for a look. Very few will leave the park mid stay given the price of staying there. It would want to be well done though, a few old machines thrown in a shed wouldn't be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Going in and out of centre parcs doesn't cost anything once your booked in. Huge amount of people do it during days to travel around and see things. Athlone is only a small drive away and whatever other things people fancy doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Often popped out to grab a few bits in the super value in ballymahon or go for grub in the hotel beside it. Food is lovely in hotel n average in center parcs.

No animals in center parcs - petting farm + cafe n sell a baseball cap/ t shirt for e25. Job is oxo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Odelay

Imagine bringing the entire family to centre parcs, then you leaving them there for a couple of hours each day while you go to Phils to pick up some spuds and steak for the dinner and spend a couple of quite hours looking at antique machinery while supping a coffee. I’d say the place will be rammed with dads looking for quite time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

A lot of the people that go to centre parcs won’t want to go near a farm, as for scrap in a shed kids won’t want to see that. To do anything it’s insurance and health and safety are a big killer and add in staff and planning permission etc for a few weeks in the summer. A local chap was doing cut your own Christmas tree for a few year till two years ago a child fell and compo claim insurance through the roof and local council out about the car park. Closed it down and sells direct to the trade now. Less hassle.

Centre parks has 95% occupancy ALL year round so more than a few weeks in the summer.

No offence but with your attitude in a business nothing would be done, no initiative would be shown, everything too much hassle and too risky. I imagine Phil’s initiative goes beyond “scrap in a shed”, even without centre parks nearby Easter, Christmas and Halloween would be sell outs going a long way to paying the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Does centre parks have electric car charging facilities?

Thinking way beyond the box if Phil has three phase he could offer fast charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It's a good idea Phil has & should be a success for him. I would certainly support it and call for a visit.

His demographic will not be Centre Parcs guests however.

Vintage tractor enthusiasts are not often found paying the price of a decent tractor for a 3 day stay in the Longford resort.

Advertisement