Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Youtubers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

People also give out non stop about off farm jobs supporting the part time farmers so you can’t win.

At the very least they should quit stacking the bales.

But def agree. A tractor with a loader is a game changer. But until you have one you don’t know what your missing. Important to remember it’s very likely that she is not in financial crontrol of the farm for that type of decision making. Plenty of time.

What are they at during calving that is madness? Doesn’t seem a bad set up shed wise. Decent pens and head gate. Decent crush and race if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I've ended up watching a lot of Farm Theory on TikTok.

Very clued in guy who gives the impression that he would be a success in whatever he turned his hand to.

He has an interesting video up about Urea and the losses from it. Good interactions from him as well. Usually responds to sensible comments.

Once you've seen a year on any of the farms on YT, then my interest begins to wane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭minerleague

Spot on with your last sentence. Find videos too long also ( 6-8 min content stretched out to 30 often ). Any comments that aren't fully positive or a bit of advice can be taken as an attack by some.

You'd not enjoy donkey262's new YT video.

It is more of a farming video than his usual efforts - dosing cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Enjoyed sheep schools video of attaching a lazy arm to a slurry tanker. Comes across well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya he’s very enjoyable to watch and seems a very clever fella

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea he is a great operator with great stock. Well calm and positive fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I see we got a mention from @Siamsa Sessions in this week's video

Just seen this pop up. A bit on the long side, so I skipped through a few bits, but this fella fabricated and then erected a shed on his own (mostly). Irish based, unsure where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea watched that yesterday and a few more of his after wards. Talented fella. Needs to edit the videos though they are a bit long but good content

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Enjoying Crawford farms videos for the past few months. He's a great speaker and a good mix of content.

He's a Scottish tillage and beef farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭leoch

Hes good alright..... I came across Berkshire farm girl very good videos on a large arable farm owned by her step dad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Dear Santy.

I do be bringing 24 bales of straw stacked like that on the trailer except it takes me half an hour to strap down before I hit the road every time. The six bale long version or even seven bale long and a 50k tractor and you'd be in heaven.

The version above looks to be well made. Lithuanian I think.

Elsewhere I see @farmerphil135 with the fingerbar mower. Good man Phil. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Saw a couple of the Morris trailers on the road this week shifting straw bales. They have a kind of net thing on the side that could get snagged on a branch I thought. I'd prefer the steel frame on that one.

Evenflow done a review on them a year or two ago!

Did the Samco CTS bale chaser ever make any impact? Lads up around here haven't even progessed to ratchet straps yet. Seen a couple of fellas going up a hill with only a length of timber to chock the bottom bales at the rear.

Was watching @IFarmWeFarm7615 today and he said stacking bales (not sure what way - I think like coke cans) meant that the bales were wetter than unstacked. I wonder how likely/common that is? Was thinking of going down that road next year to free up some yard space.

If he is reading maybe he can give some more details - were they double wrapped, stacked like coke cans and from same field as the unstacked?

Anyone else encounter this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭IFarmWeFarm7615

6 layers if I remember right, bear in mind now that was September third cut stuff that was baled early in the morning so there was a damp dew involved.

30 stacked ( on their flat ) and 25 left standing on there edge. When they were opened the stacked bales clearly had effluent in them ( bit sour too I thought ) vs zero effluent in the others. Same field same day.

But stacking does save a lot of room and seems to work well for a lot of others so the best advice is to ask about and see what others with more experience think firstly.

I’ll certainly stack them again as it was only my first experience.

Be also interested in hearing what others do and there thoughts

Post edited by IFarmWeFarm7615 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

That yoke was 80k i think, a keltec is 20 or 30k.

A bale wrapped with 4 layers will have 8 layers on both ends vs 4 on the round. I wouldn't dream of stacking on edge because of time and safety, seen plenty of stacks toppled because of sagging.

When you stack bales they sag. When they do they basically wedge against each other so any rain that falls on the stack of bales can find it hard to get to the ground.

People have been stacking bales for a long time and we get plenty of rain, never heard of it being an issue yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Was watching Tom Pempertons latest video. He's out mowing silage and actually mowing through floods. Apart from trying to cut grass lying in water, he's destroying the land with marks. And what sort of shite will be made when the harvester and trailers have to try pick it up? Unreal. I know he probably needs it cut like a lot, but jaysus ya wouldn't be at that messing if ya could avoid it

I let who ever stack my bales leave them flat or round, whatever way they prefer. I find them easier to move when they’re on their round ends afterwards. This year I have noticed bales flat do seem to release more effluent so would agree it’s better that way to get water out of them. Going by toms video title and thumbnail I thought his tractor was after giving up. He seemed to be enjoying it anyway for the most part. I suppose when it’s not your own field they don’t really mind and it did look like it was hard to see the standing water.

Hard to see isn't an excuse. Wouldn't ya go walk the fields first if ya were unsure. Or after hitting the first pond get out and have a look to see how big a pond was there and go around it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The content of the video was exactly what he was after, the damage to the field was irrelevant, the farm is only secondary to the youtube income now, he's probably heading for a million pounds invested into the place when the new parlour is added in and you know that his youtube earnings are paying for a good chunk of it, you'd notice to he doesn't have to milk the cows anymore has the brother in law roped into that job...

He's a media brand now, anything promoted in the videos now he's after getting a huge discount on retail price if he's bought it and he charges a fortune for demoing products etc apparently all done through a agent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Walking around the Tullamore show yesterday, my dad and I were looking at a lemken disc harrow, I said I think its the same model Farmer Phil has. Then I realised the man himself and Liv was standing around 20 feet from us! I wasn't going to say hello as Phil was getting a lot of attention and some younger kids wanting selfies, and they all got their pics. Glad I did say a brief hello, two lovely people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I see Karen Moynihan from YT has gotten a GPS system fitted onto her MF135.

The GPS is probably worth more than the tractor but how and ever fair play. 😂 They love that tractor.

That’s exactly it in a nutshell. He said he was going away for a few days, he wasn’t going to lose any sleep over it anyway. Same when his cutting fields hitting man holes, which is worse again. He can make a more dramatic title for his videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ye might enjoy this - Gauchos in Chile.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Tullamore show was full of sheep u tube men..sheep school/ ewe tube..and will from cowley hill farm.was judging the lleyn classes..should be a few interesting videos up on the next while

@Siamsa Sessions I know yer setting a bit of a forage crop for the winter. I see rules in place or coming that says ya need the same area in grass for a lie back. How ya fixed for that setup?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m quietly ignoring any changes that are leaked to the media since I planted the fodder rape 😀

(I planted it this morning)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

As far as I’m concerned unless there’s a department letter sent out informing every farmer on the changes then they don’t exist. Putting them in the farmers journal is worth a shite to the majority of farmers who don’t buy it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As someone said before, the only information that matters comes in thru the letterbox in an envelope with a harp on it 😀

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement