Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uses for leftover paving stones

Options
  • 28-05-2020 10:30pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know the answer to this is likely ‘not much’ but worth asking anyway.

I have about 15 60x30cm paving slabs left over from my garden that I’m trying to find a use for, rather than letting them go to waste.

There’s nowhere left that needs to be paved, nor do I need them as a base for a shed or anything like that... so is there anything creative or ornate I could use them for?

I’ve looked for a few suggestions online but most of the useful ones are for brick-style pavers, which obviously lend themselves to a few things... not much for flat stones, though

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Get a small pick axe, matic type tool and break them carefully into interesting shapes for a vertical edging to a border.

Stack some them within a strong timber frame as shelving if not too heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make some stepping stones out to a clothesline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

I had some leftover as well, ended up using them, on edge halved, as a border of a flowerbed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Get a small pick axe, matic type tool and break them carefully into interesting shapes for a vertical edging to a border.

Stack some them within a strong timber frame as shelving if not too heavy.
    I had some leftover as well, ended up using them, on edge halved, as a border of a flowerbed.

Thanks.

I do have border stones around the edge of the paving - though there is a part of it where I could do with going up a bit higher... I might see how they look stacked on their side behind the border that’s there, though I’ve a feeling it will look crap. Worth a try though!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Make some stepping stones out to a clothesline?

There’s a relatively small patch of grass so don’t really need them for that, thanks for the suggestion though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Build a fort?

endacl wrote: »
    Build a fort?

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could also "glue" five of them into a cuboid shape, drill some holes into the bottom slab, and voilà, you've got yourself a plant container!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

514647.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

flogen wrote: »
    I know the answer to this is likely ‘not much’ but worth asking anyway.

I have about 15 60x30cm paving slabs left over from my garden that I’m trying to find a use for, rather than letting them go to waste.

There’s nowhere left that needs to be paved, nor do I need them as a base for a shed or anything like that... so is there anything creative or ornate I could use them for?

I’ve looked for a few suggestions online but most of the useful ones are for brick-style pavers, which obviously lend themselves to a few things... not much for flat stones, though
    Local allotment users would love these for paths between beds. I donate loads to my local one.

Advertisement