Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Oh god is the NZ comparison still going. What's done is done, the Irish government did the best they could with what they had, and it worked out relatively okay, no major disaster.

Jesus, the hundreds of dead in nursing homes would query your “relatively okay” “no major disaster” commentary.

I don't see what we did in terms of planning that has led to such a high number of nursing home deaths , I think it was just bad luck.

Bad luck? Are you fcuking having a laugh? Was it bad luck that made hospitals discharge ill elderly people from hospital back to nursing homes without testing them for CV? Was it bad luck to refuse elderly patients tests for CV? Was it bad luck refusing to provide basics like extra oxygen/end of life medications to nursing homes? Was it bad luck telling card home staff that they did not need PPE??

The govt absolutely screwed the nursing homes. They panicked about the hospitals being over run and completely shunted the elderly to the back of their queue.

Sad to think how much of a waste the whole lockdown was for countries such as Italy and Spain which are inviting tourists back soon, they will be exactly back to square one by July . I am not saying we will definitely have a second wave or that it can't be avoided but without mandatory quarantine of foreigners a second wave absolutely is unavoidable when you have countries like Brazil and Mexico where there is probably literally millions of active infections right now and will be for many months more. 25 cases in Spain already imported before they've even officially opened to tourists is a lot.

I hope that Ireland does not waste our lockdown by simply reopening the border without quarantine. We have already damaged our economy badly because of lockdown, we may at the very least prevent a large COVID outbreak then while we are at it.

Legally, there is no way that Ireland can have a quarantine. They can ask people to isolate, but they can’t make them.

Serious point...stay with me for a minute. Sounds mental but might not be.

Why can't we do an A B experiment? Most people fall into one of two camps naturally. Why don't we allow people who want to return to normal to do so and those that want to remain isolated for whatever reason to do so also.

This phased approach would accomplish the following in my eyes

- reduce the burden on the health service if the worst were to happen by 50% thereby allowing it to cope should it need to.
    - lessen the economic hit by 50% with 50% of the human capital in operation
    - 100% of people would be happy in the short term at least and potential in the mid term.

Depending on how the experiment goes we could reopen or restrict

How have you come to the conclusion that 50% of people are rational and 50% are chicken littles?? I’d say it’s at least 70-80% rational if not more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Define 'rational'...

How many would wear face masks? Avoid crowds? Keep using hand sanitiser etc. while otherwise going about their normal routine?

Define 'rational'...

How many would wear face masks? Avoid crowds? Keep using hand sanitiser etc. while otherwise going about their normal routine?

People who want to get back to some semblance of normal, who don’t see the virus everywhere they look. People who treat other people as people and not virus hosts. Wearing a mask or not, using sanitiser or avoiding crowds is personal choice. It’s the curtain twitchers who are still afraid to leave the house who are irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

People who want to get back to some semblance of normal, who don’t see the virus everywhere they look. People who treat other people as people and not virus hosts. Wearing a mask or not, using sanitiser or avoiding crowds is personal choice. It’s the curtain twitchers who are still afraid to leave the house who are irrational.

You cant segregate people just because some want to stay safe and others don't seem to give a **** unless it directly effects them.

One of the most idiotic posts on boards ive ever seen and by god that takes some beating. Its people like this who will spread the virus again. Its not gone its supressed is all. We will get back to some normality in August once all phases of the roadmap is complete or sooner if political and business pressure wins out over public health advice so just enjoy the break and wait and see what happens or just do what ye want to do nobody can stop you after all.

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

How have you come to the conclusion that 50% of people are rational and 50% are chicken littles?? I’d say it’s at least 70-80% rational if not more.

Yeah, maybe so. I think people talk a good game. I'd say you'd find out fairly quick. I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to get a 50% uptake.

- Give everyone in the county a weekend ticket to London with free board and tube pass. Make it a precondition for getting into the back-to-normal cohort. (no point people talking about getting back to normal and then being uber cautious.

- This way it helps support Ryanair. One additional benefit is that it would settle this argument.

One unforeseen benefit if it transpires that it is a deadly disease is that the Irish average IQ will probably return to the mean and be similar to other countries. Win win all round.
    Irish people are less intelligent than the British and have lower IQ scores than most European countries, a University of Ulster academic has claimed.
    The average Irish IQ score is 96 compared with 100.5 in England and Wales and 97 in Scotland, according to Prof Richard Lynn, a former Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) psychologist and professor emeritus of the University of Ulster.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irish-placed-low-on-academic-s-iq-table-1.1289495

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

shinzon wrote: »
    You cant segregate people just because some want to stay safe and others don't seem to give a **** unless it directly effects them.

One of the most idiotic posts on boards ive ever seen and by god that takes some beating. Its people like this who will spread the virus again. Its not gone its supressed is all. We will get back to some normality in August once all phases of the roadmap is complete or sooner if political and business pressure wins out over public health advice so just enjoy the break and wait and see what happens or just do what ye want to do nobody can stop you after all.

Shin

Business owners can’t exactly sit back and relax and enjoy the break though can they? Or people who have lost their jobs because of lockdown. It’s all well and good telling people to “enjoy the break” like this is some sort of holiday while you collect your 350 and sit on your hole all day.

I think businesses should reopen and anyone who doesn’t want to rejoin society can quit their jobs, go on the dole and hide in their houses if they’re so scared. Let the rest of us get back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

It’s all well and good telling people to “enjoy the break” like this is some sort of holiday while you collect your 350 and sit on your hole all day.

I thought that would be trotted out as it always seems to be the default opinion on here so for your information no im not sitting on my hole collecting 350 quid im working from home. There was always going to be job losses and business closures with the path we took but to be honest id rather that than the virus running rampant and killing more then it did.

There will be businesses and people who will never come back from this and yes they will end up on the dole but at least there will be customers to come back to the businesses that will survive once were at the other end of the roadmap.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

shinzon wrote: »
    I thought that would be trotted out as it always seems to be the default opinion on here so for your information no im not sitting on my hole collecting 350 quid im working from home. There was always going to be job losses and business closures with the path we took but to be honest id rather that than the virus running rampant and killing more then it did.

There will be businesses and people who will never come back from this and yes they will end up on the dole but at least there will be customers to come back to the businesses that will survive once were at the other end of the roadmap.

Shin

How was that ever not going to be the case?

Business owners can’t exactly sit back and relax and enjoy the break though can they? Or people who have lost their jobs because of lockdown. It’s all well and good telling people to “enjoy the break” like this is some sort of holiday while you collect your 350 and sit on your hole all day.

I think businesses should reopen and anyone who doesn’t want to rejoin society can quit their jobs, go on the dole and hide in their houses if they’re so scared. Let the rest of us get back to normal.

Huge percentage of people who live and work in Dublin and with the highest earning jobs can effectively work from home. So why would they take the risk if they don’t have to?

Yeah 350 a day is exactly big money if you’ve got kids, saving for a house / want a life.

Huge percentage of people who live and work in Dublin and with the highest earning jobs can effectively work from home. So why would they take the risk if they don’t have to?

Yeah 350 a day is exactly big money if you’ve got kids, saving for a house / want a life.

If you can work from home then continue to do so. Nothing wrong with that. As for your second point, I don’t know what you’re getting at. I never said it was big money but clearly people are comfortable on it

If you can work from home then continue to do so. Nothing wrong with that. As for your second point, I don’t know what you’re getting at. I never said it was big money but clearly people are comfortable on it

I guess I’m saying it’s not fair to assume everyone getting the 350 is comfortable. People in UK get 80% of their salary.

That 350 if you are unfortunate if to get it could easily put a hole below the waterline in many people’s finances.

That is why I would advocate that they be allowed to return reopen. If the r number changes and cases spike we can try something else. If not carry on with reopening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

Matt Damon

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I really think all these lifting of restrictions is a false dawn, this will come back and hit us with a vengeance in the autumn/winter.

Honestly think this will go on for years and years

I guess I’m saying it’s not fair to assume everyone getting the 350 is comfortable. People in UK get 80% of their salary.

That 350 if you are unfortunate if to get it could easily put a hole below the waterline in many people’s finances.

That is why I would advocate that they be allowed to return reopen. If the r number changes and cases spike we can try something else. If not carry on with reopening.

Oh yeah I agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

I really think all these lifting of restrictions is a false dawn, this will come back and hit us with a vengeance in the autumn/winter.

Good man. Keep the hysteria at fever pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So what do you propose lockdown forever? maybe just climb down into a grave now and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Interesting opinion on the superspreading phenomenon.

This comment is worth noting.
    the strictness of government lockdowns in different European countries did not seem to be correlated with success in slowing the spread of the disease, although their timing did. Once you’ve put a stop to large, indoor gatherings with lots of yelling or singing, there may be diminishing returns to other restrictions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-28/superspreader-events-might-actually-help-control-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I’ve never ever heard a vaccine producer say that. Chances of any vaccine production succeeding is less than 15%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Dayjur

I’ve never ever heard a vaccine producer say that. Chances of any vaccine production succeeding is less than 15%.

Of course you'd put a dampener on any good news

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Good man. Keep the hysteria at fever pitch.

Or he's just telling what could turn out to be the truth. So many pointless posts like this on here desperate for likes. There are plenty of potential dangers in life we take reasonable precautions with - but with this killer virus we are still learning about all the time it's "stop dragging the mood down", "scaremongerer!", "doom merchant!". The same people inevitably try to pretend anyone bothered about Corona wants to lock the place up for years. There's a clear plan out of lockdown. I'm so glad even the generally woeful governments have the ability to balance risk with returning to normality and don't simply feel like a party today so both people and the economy can suffer tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lillycakes2

I want to go to a supermarket in the city near me , because it is better.it is 35 km from my home. Can I go there? its for my weekly shop ?

fr336 wrote: »
    Or he's just telling what could turn out to be the truth. So many pointless posts like this on here desperate for likes. There are plenty of potential dangers in life we take reasonable precautions with - but with this killer virus we are still learning about all the time it's "stop dragging the mood down", "scaremongerer!", "doom merchant!". The same people inevitably try to pretend anyone bothered about Corona wants to lock the place up for years. There's a clear plan out of lockdown. I'm so glad even the generally woeful governments have the ability to balance risk with returning to normality and don't simply feel like a party today so both people and the economy can suffer tomorrow.

Killer virus? Over 90% of confirmed cases here recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Dayjur wrote: »
    Of course you'd put a dampener on any good news

As you are a new poster , you may not realize that the poster acitizeneraised
    Post's quite positive
    But they are also realistic when I released the statement was from a Chinese company I would take the news with a bucket of salt.
    99% of all vaccines fail

I want to go to a supermarket in the city near me , because it is better.it is 35 km from my home. Can I go there? its for my weekly shop ?

Off you go, its an essential journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Killer virus? Over 90% of confirmed cases here recovered.

So what is 10% of the population?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement