Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just on the analysis of the cases so far, a few points.

As of Wednesday the 27th 9,845 cases were related to clusters. This increased to 9,916 on Thursday. This means most, if not all of the cases from the previous few days are related to known clusters and are close contacts. This is reflected in the clusters increasing by 6 day-on-day, suggesting that singular cases are perhaps spreading it to family members. Close contacts now account for almost 60% of our cases. Also an increase of 12 healthcare workers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

98% of people currently getting tested are negative. Most of these have symptoms yet miraculously they don’t have the virus. Do believe all other causes of coughs have disappeared?

Have you facts to back up your claim that 98% being tested are negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A simple google will tell you the positivity rate last week was 2%

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

maringo wrote: »
    It appears that one third of people catching corona virus in Ireland are healthcare workers. What is causing this - is it staff shortages, lack of ppe or what is causing this. It needs to be investigated and steps taken to protect people working at the coal face. Praising them as heroes which they are is all very well. Action is needed to identify and fix what is causing this huge rate of people contracting the virus at work.

100%... i would rather forgo the round of applause, the thanks and platitudes on Twitter and instead bury myself into finding ways to make and keep healthcare workers safe and everyone safe...

Hindsight is all well and good but it might have been an idea from the outset or close to the outset when it became apparent that there was no temporary fix, that the government looked at a way to set up a facility that could manufacture them here, ‘en masse’ thousands a day so that we can be self reliant.

The government have access to and indeed own a number of industrial warehouse sites across the country. Including a couple close to Dublin Airport that are currently serving a purpose that are not vital to the running and wellbeing of the state, important yes, vital, no... clear them out, kit them out and get manufacturing.. could take a while to source equipment, kit out, hire, train etc but in a month to six weeks be manufacturing.

A reliance and dependence long term on those outside the state is not advisable. If we sign a deal with X manufacturer say in Morocco, cheap yet quality masks... 25,000 a week, we send an Aer Lingus jet to collect... perfect, but after a while the government in Morocco demand via a special order that due to the epidemic worsening there it is now illegal to export masks and manufacturing masks is only for the domestic market.. we are fûcked.. we’d find ourselves at the very long list of an International Q.

We need to look at ways to become self sufficient, look after ourselves, nobody else will.

You should really watch the daily briefings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Be right back

Right now, if someone has a cough, they should be treated as if they have the virus until they get tested. If you ring your GP and tell them you have a cough, they will tell you to self isolate.

But ah sure, it's just a cough, let's go shopping and cough everywhere.

Perhaps but I don't think having a cough means there's a huge chance of having Covid...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you actually serious?? Anyone who coughs should be treated as they have the virus and get a test, really like ?

I've been coughing and sneezing all day but it's on account of my hayfever which is awful given the weather, so you want me to go get a test ?

I've said it before your posts are full of paranoia
    Same here with hayfever, it's the main reason I have a mask in shops in case I need to sneeze or cough

HSE reports. Look them up if you want. Reid, the head of HSE states it last Sunday and been mentioned numerous times since

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

harr wrote: »
    This is going to come back twice as bad , people are really taking the piss this weekend, people that should know better. I have been invited to two BBQs this both will have 20-30 at them..got an invitation to a 21st and 50th next weekend All in people’s back gardens which aren’t big enough for any kind of social distancing. One of the people holding the party works in a residential care home for elderly people with special needs.
    All ready I have been called a kill joy for turning down an invite...
    We need to ease our way back to normality yes , but to go flat out with large social gatherings is crazy... I really feel people think it’s all behind us.
    I have a son with serious health issues who hasn’t left the house in 3 months and it makes me so angry to see this carry on because of other people’s selfishness it could very well be another 6 months before he gets anywhere...

Mr popular ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

If you're asymptomatic and cough even as a smoker, you can still spread germs.

What does "as a smoker" even mean??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The virus went from one reported case to 3 million cases in ~6 months, then it went from 3 million to 6 million cases in 1 month and the reported cases are still increasing.

In the last 4 months more people in the US have died from Covid-19 than the Korean War, Vietnam War, Afghanistan War and Iraq War combined.

Yet we still have the right wing ‘hard men’ downplaying its infectivity and deadliness.

If you are looking for further proof that ‘there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see”, look no further.

The virus went from one reported case to 3 million cases in ~6 months, then it went from 3 million to 6 million cases in 1 month and the reported cases are still increasing.

In the last 4 months more people in the US have died from Covid-19 than the Korean War, Vietnam War, Afghanistan War and Iraq War combined.

Yet we still have the right wing ‘hard men’ downplaying its infectivity and deadliness.

If you are looking for further proof that ‘there are none so blind as those who do not wish to see”, look no further.
    It's likely that the true infected figure is many multiples of 6 million, with the vast majority showing no symptoms. That's not being right wing (I wouldn't consider myself right wing anyway, apparently being positive means you are?), that's being realistic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

A quick google puts the death rate of Vietnam at 1.3 million, Korean war 5 million, Iraq 465,000, Afghanistan 92, 0000

So think you might be wrong there my man.

There are none as blind etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

trapp wrote: »
    A quick google puts the death rate of Vietnam at 1.3 million, Korean war 5 million, Iraq 465,000, Afghanistan 92, 0000

And to be honest with you 1.3 million for Vietnam is an underestimate. The Americans bombed the place to kingdom come.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The death toll of US citizens from Covid is greater than the US death toll in those wars

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

fr336 wrote: »
    Just the flu
    People need to live their lives
    We can't be locked up for years
    Masks are completely ineffective
    Just the flu

So going by this post you want people locked up for years and people not to live their lives?

Stheno wrote: »
    The death toll of US citizens from Covid is greater than the US death toll in those wars

????????????????????

The virus is in the US.

The korean war was in korea, Vietnam was in vietnam

That's not really a comparison is it?

Military deaths in a war on foreign soil v a virus that has a huge impact on elderly and obese people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Micky 32 wrote: »
    So going by this post you want people locked up for years and people not to live their lives?

No Micky quite the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Speak Now wrote: »
    What does "as a smoker" even mean??

I presume she's referring to a smokers cough. I presume a smokers cough and a cough caused by this viral infection can co exist together in a person. If someone who's a smoker becomes infected with the virus, the problem arises when they go about their normal life's and displays a coughing episodes and thinks it's from smoking and not a viral infection. We really do need to rely on the population to do the right thing using tissues or sneezing or coughing into elbows a d unfortunately that's never going to happen. A sizable portion of the population will follow the guidelines and do what's required to slow down the spread of this disease. Then there's others who don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The WHO and the Euro CDC think one metre is enough for social distancing. So why does Tony Holohan not think one metre - or one and a half metres at most - is enough?

Because he probably knows that if he says one metre, there are people who will drift closer than that to others, through lack of observation or just being cunts.

If he says two, people will still fail to observe that, but will more than likely remain at a distance that's closer to one metre.

• Advertisement

More proof of the blindness... AMERICAN DEAD in those wars !

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tony EH wrote: »
    Because he probably knows that if he says one metre, there are people who will drift closer than that to others, through lack of observation or just being cunts.

If he says two, people will still fail to observe that, but will more than likely remain at a distance that's closer to one metre.

Ya. Same reason you have health warnings on products. Need to legislate against peoples stupidity.

More proof of the blindness... AMERICAN DEAD in those wars !

:rolleyes:

????????????????????

The virus is in the US.

Military deaths in a war on foreign soil v a virus that has a huge impact on elderly and obese people

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,231 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He means US deaths, obviously.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Tony EH wrote: »
    He means US deaths, obviously.

The USA never bothered counting the number of Iraqi deaths during any of their escapades there. They probably did not bother in Vietnam either.

Their counting was reserved for body bags going back to USA.

????????????????????

The virus is in the US.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

In New York State alone, there have been more than 10 times the number of deaths from Covid-19 than there were fatalities during the 9/11 attacks.

If the number of deaths continues to rise at the current rate, the coronavirus will soon account for more deaths than all major US wars since World War II, as well as every major domestic terror attack and mass shooting from the last 75 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

owlbethere wrote: »
    I presume she's referring to a smokers cough. I presume a smokers cough and a cough caused by this viral infection can co exist together in a person. If someone who's a smoker becomes infected with the virus, the problem arises when they go about their normal life's and displays a coughing episodes and thinks it's from smoking and not a viral infection. We really do need to rely on the population to do the right thing using tissues or sneezing or coughing into elbows a d unfortunately that's never going to happen. A sizable portion of the population will follow the guidelines and do what's required to slow down the spread of this disease. Then there's others who don't care.

Smokers are immune :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Basic common sense would be that there are bound to be cases in supermarkets somewhere at some point, not just because of mixing with the public but because staff there may catch it in a place outside work.
    Sorry keep posting from a UK perspective. But that doesn't take away from the general point that supermarkets aren't some safe place here, far from it imo.

"Even" in the UK, I would think supermarkets are unlikely to be a huge source of transmission, but maybe you have evidence to the contrary. It's becoming increasingly clear that the main routes of transmission is close contact for periods of time - pretty much what they started telling us at the beginning of all this as it turns out! Not going for a quick wander around Tesco.

I would count nightclubs, any crowded sports event, concerts etc to be dangerous. Anything with persistent up-close contact.

Exactly.

How exactly do you know the person wasn't infected. If they had a cough, there's a huge chance they're infected actually. You know cough is a symptom of the virus.

If someone coughs openly in a shop, they leave behind aerosols which hang about in the air and can infect others long after their gone.

Notwithstanding that you live a very risk adverse life compared to the vast majority of people, it seems reasonably clear that the 'aerosol risk' is minimal or community transmission and hospitalisations would be a lot higher. People were border line fetishing about the lab videos showing the aerosols crossing over the supermarket aisles a couple of months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

In New York State alone, there have been more than 10 times the number of deaths from Covid-19 than there were fatalities during the 9/11 attacks.

If the number of deaths continues to rise at the current rate, the coronavirus will soon account for more deaths than all major US wars since World War II, as well as every major domestic terror attack and mass shooting from the last 75 years.

I think comparing a virus to a war or a terror attack is folly. You could then start doing the same with road accident deaths, cancer and heart disease and deaths caused by decades of smoking, it just doesn't translate very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Everyone have a good weekend, respect distance and take care, enjoy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement