Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

I'll drastically effect some business,
    If it goes from two to one meter it means capicty to get people in work places, Cafes, restaurants, bar is doubled straight away

Eeee, more. It's spatial, it goes in two directions. It would double only in a linear queue...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Anyone in D6/6w/D12 area hear massive chant going on? So bizarre, but I can hear a massive crowd of people singing/chanting in the distance, sounds like a stadium event or concert. Must be at least several hundred people, or a hundred people shouting very very loudly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

trapp wrote: »
    To be blunt it is none of your business if other people cover their face or not.

If you want to do it fine but others are not really your business.

We've all made huge sacrifices to suppress the virus.

I never said that people weren't making sacrifices to suppress it. If they weren't, then we wouldn't be seeing the decline that we are now. However, the public health advice asks us to wear face coverings "when staying 2 metres apart from people is difficult - for example, in shops, shopping centres or public transport". I simply said I was disappointed that people weren't following the advice. Disappointed in the same way that I am when I see people from multiple households having cans together, or when the public health advice is ignored in other ways.

When the measures have been followed so well to get us to where we are now, to start ignoring them seems counter intuitive. When we see that it's working, then surely not following them is going to make this last a couple of weeks or maybe a month longer? And from what I've seen, the people who are not complying are then complaining that this is going on too long and the restrictions aren't being eased quickly enough.

I think I'm right in saying you would like the country to reopen sooner rather than later (in the sense that if it's safe for a phase to progress, then progress with it and not to be waiting for unnecessary time to be wasted). I'd be of the same opinion and it just seems like following advice is the way to get there quickest.
    You’re not going to catch the virus out in public.

I'd agree that the probability is low, but according to Prof. Nolan in Thursday's briefing, 40-60% of the cases being diagnosed each day are coming from the community. Now I know that the likelihood of being one of those 30 or so on an island of 4.9 million is very low, but I'd rather minimise the risk as much as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Anyone in D6/6w/D12 area hear massive chant going on? So bizarre, but I can hear a massive crowd of people singing/chanting in the distance, sounds like a stadium event or concert

I can hear it in D14. Sounds like a huge party.

I can hear it in D14. Sounds like a huge party.

Yeh it's very loud, it's as loud as when I can hear events in Aviva. Must be an enormous crowd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

iguana wrote: »
    Toilets.

Outdoor toilets no? **** in a ditch, piss in a puddle only 2 euro! Step right up. Ryanair should pivot to this model before too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Another record case number for Brazil today, 30000 new cases. Getting out of hand there.

Numbers on the rise in Portugal again, 350 new cases today.

Brazil now has more deaths than Spain and France, and will overtake Italy by midweek and the UK by this day next week at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Another record case number for Brazil today, 30000 new cases. Getting out of hand there.

Numbers on the rise in Portugal again, 350 new cases today.

I'm surprised Brazil are actually testing that many people - must be in the hundreds of thousands of swabs done each day

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'm surprised Brazil are actually testing that many people - must be in the hundreds of thousands of swabs done each day

Actually worldometers says they havn't even performed 1 million tests yet(though this info may not be completely up to date), with nearly 500k positive cases. If 1 in every 2 tests is coming back positive they are pretty ****ed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Brazil now has more deaths than Spain and France, and will overtake Italy by midweek and the UK by this day next week at this rate.

Bolsonaro handled it well /s

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/28/brazil-is-suffering-bolson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Only 17,357 new cases recorded in the whole of Europe yesterday, and that includes Russia's almost 9k cases - so still doing pretty good over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Renjit wrote: »

Yes... “just a little cold”... an absolute psycho septic and crazy goon.. I’ve a lot of connections with Brazil and Brazilians including people there with health issues, young families etc in one case a six month old baby and a six year old.... it’s one of life’s greatest mystery’s how and why he ended up getting to power.. I’m a democrat but I wouldn’t shed a tear if somebody just turned around and impeached him and Brazil were given another opportunity to vote in a sane, caring and competent leader... stuff of nightmares at the minute there. Half a million people have been infected, about 28,000 deaths.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/05/22/in-brazil-covid-19-hitting-young-people-harder.html

31% or nearly 9000 of the deaths in Brazil were under 60 years of age, quite worrying, that is a very high number of deaths among a relatively young age group

Interestingly the article also states the actual number of people who have become infected in Brazil is estimated to be about 3.6 million now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Anyone in D6/6w/D12 area hear massive chant going on? So bizarre, but I can hear a massive crowd of people singing/chanting in the distance, sounds like a stadium event or concert. Must be at least several hundred people, or a hundred people shouting very very loudly

The parks are full of drunks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/05/22/in-brazil-covid-19-hitting-young-people-harder.html

31% or nearly 9000 of the deaths in Brazil were under 60 years of age, quite worrying, that is a very high number of deaths among a relatively young age group

I'd say that can be explained by the ****e living conditions millions live in there along with a dire health service. Have those two factors and throw a pandemic into the mix it's a perfect storm.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I'd say that can be explained by the ****e living conditions millions live in there along with a dire health service. Have those two factors and throw a pandemic into the mix it's a perfect storm.

Yes definitely, the poorest sectors of society in Brazil where health issues such as obesity and diabetes are most common are also working in jobs which put them at higher risk of exposure to infection, so not only are they at higher risk of complications but theyre also more likely to contract the virus too. The article explains a bit towards the end

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Wasn't Tony only saying during the week about moving away from the culture of blame around the virus? I know he was talking about not blaming himself, but let's not blame people who die either, for being too fat or poor for your standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Bit of a pessimistic mood today after reading the international aviation news. None of it really surprising.By the time boarders open there aren't going to be many airlines left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This was taken yesterday ....
    514796.jpg

..around 6PM, I went out for a stroll around 9PM and terraces were even more packed ...

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-05-30/new-coronavirus-infections-rise-in-spain-with-271-detected-in-the-last-24-hours.html

Fully expect Spain to be on full lockdown within a month, it seems people do indeed take the piss when they are given an inch ..

• Advertisement

s1ippy wrote: »
    Wasn't Tony only saying during the week about moving away from the culture of blame around the virus? I know he was talking about not blaming himself, but let's not blame people who die either, for being too fat or poor for your standards.

Except Trump, we can all blame Trump - and Boris Johnson of course!!

But don't you DARE criticize some Chinese lad that eats ****ty pangolin arsehole - BIGOT!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

This was taken yesterday ....
    514796.jpg

..around 6PM, I went out for a stroll around 9PM and terraces were even more packed ...

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-05-30/new-coronavirus-infections-rise-in-spain-with-271-detected-in-the-last-24-hours.html

Fully expect Spain to be on full lockdown within a month, it seems people do indeed take the piss when they are given an inch ..

It will be the same here in Ireland.

Harsh truth to face, this **** will never be gone till there is a vaccine, that could be ****ing decades away

Harsh truth to face, this **** will never be gone till there is a vaccine, that could be ****ing decades away

What I don't get is people want their lives back which I don't blame them. But face masks will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any truth in media reports this morning that we will speed up after June 29th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Wasn't there a leak from one of the departments in the German government, stating the corona virus was a "global false alarm"
    With the weakening of the virus and the evidence of how low the spread in public is I don't think peoples Jaws should be dropping at the previously posted images.
    You wanna be safe forever, stay at home. You wanna go for a pint off you go.
    This **** show has to stop.

What I don't get is people want their lives back which I don't blame them. But face masks will help.

Funny thing is with masks, people here in Spain wear them in shops and streets, but as soon as they get to a terrace and are socializing - they come off, now I can understand it, but this is where transmission will occur.

Spain is really penny wise pound foolish in all this, I can go to a packed bar terrace and drink and spit all over people as I blabber on - but I still can't play a singles game of tennis!!

Funny thing is with masks, people here in Spain wear them in shops and streets, but as soon as they get to a terrace and are socializing - they come off, now I can understand it, but this is where transmission will occur.

Spain is really penny wise pound foolish in all this, I can go to a packed bar terrace and drink and spit all over people as I blabber on - but I still can't play a singles game of tennis!!

I saw this with my own housemate, wears a face mask but then have friends over. I'm making excuses here, but you can have friends over soon enough anyways with the lifting of the restrictions so it's none of my business. But you can have friends over so long as you maintain a distance. But there's no distancing going on. I just don't understand the behaviour, why bother with masks but meet up with friends and everything goes out the window.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I saw this with my own housemate, wears a face mask but then have friends over. I'm making excuses here, but you can have friends over soon enough anyways with the lifting of the restrictions so it's none of my business. But you can have friends over so long as you maintain a distance. But there's no distancing going on. I just don't understand the behaviour, why bother with masks but meet up with friends and everything goes out the window.

Are they meeting up outside?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Are they meeting up outside?

Inside and outside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement