Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I just find it sad how people can't think for themselves and need to be told to keep a distance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Inside and outside.

Outside is fine as has been said before.

Inside is not as safe

What age bracket are you and your friends? 20s?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

This was taken yesterday ....
    514796.jpg

..around 6PM, I went out for a stroll around 9PM and terraces were even more packed ...

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-05-30/new-coronavirus-infections-rise-in-spain-with-271-detected-in-the-last-24-hours.html

Fully expect Spain to be on full lockdown within a month, it seems people do indeed take the piss when they are given an inch ..

There is a huge difference between indoors and outdoors. Spain is a hot and dry country during the Summer, the virus doesn't do well in these conditions. I'd imagine their wont be any significant spike

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

What I don't get is people want their lives back which I don't blame them. But face masks will help.

But we are near zero community transmission and very few wore masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

But we weren't out and about much either.

• Advertisement

So does that make it all ok? Because you know how that number can jump? By ignoring rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

silverharp wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between indoors and outdoors. Spain is a hot and dry country during the Summer, the virus doesn't do well in these conditions. I'd imagine their wont be any significant spike

Where are you getting that the virus doesn't do well in hot and dry conditions?

Stheno wrote: »
    Outside is fine as has been said before.

Inside is not as safe

What age bracket are you and your friends? 20s?

Very much not in our 20s.

I was on I think the HSE website or some website yesterday, I don't know where I saw it. 40% of all the cases was community transmission.

That's quite alot. And that's only what we know and what we tested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I was on I think the HSE website or some website yesterday, I don't know where I saw it. 40% of all the cases was community transmission.

That's quite alot. And that's only what we know and what we tested.

So what does that community transmission mean? 40% of which cases? Last weeks? Last months? Since the start?

And as for testing do you know where we rank compared to other countries in terms of the amount of people tested out of our population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I saw this with my own housemate, wears a face mask but then have friends over. I'm making excuses here, but you can have friends over soon enough anyways with the lifting of the restrictions so it's none of my business. But you can have friends over so long as you maintain a distance. But there's no distancing going on. I just don't understand the behaviour, why bother with masks but meet up with friends and everything goes out the window.

Difficult to judge people by their posts, I got the impression that you would not go out without a hazmat suit, now you are saying that you allow your housemate have friends over, fair play.

So what does that community transmission mean? 40% of which cases? Last weeks? Last months? Since the start?

And as for testing do you know where we rank compared to other countries in terms of the amount of people tested out of our population?

40% of total cases which is almost 10,000 community transmission cases. That's quite alot.

No point comparing ourselves with other countries and testing. We weren't testing everyone with symptoms.

Difficult to judge people by their posts, I got the impression that you would not go out without a hazmat suit, now you are saying that you allow your housemate have friends over, fair play.

I cannot control what somebody else does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Wish we had somebody as good as Sophy Ridge over here. She is one tough lady and really puts politicians on the spot in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

silverharp wrote: »

A theory , no proof it doesn't spread in hot and dry conditions at all.

40% of total cases which is almost 10,000 community transmission cases. That's quite alot.

No point comparing ourselves with other countries and testing. We weren't testing everyone with symptoms.

It was over 64% of total cases so it has dropped hugely in recent weeks

No country has tested everyone with symptoms

We have tested a very high number of people and the tests are 98% negative

What do you want? Anyone with so much as a cough to be tested?

Have you been going outside or to the shops at all or do you just stay in all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

bb1234567 wrote: »

To be fair there is reasonable anecdotal evidence that countries with "outdoor" lifestyles have lower R0 values - what isn't definitive is why (but as usual it will be a combination of things).

In Thailand they mandated a few practical precautions:
    * Air conditioning turned off (Schools and the like)
    * Windows opened (Schools and the like)
    * Shop entrances manned by folks with hand sanitizers

There total death count is still <60 people.

I suspect Italy / Spain won't see a new spikes until winter and its why places like Brazil with its awful handling are still less affected than Ireland (when adjusted to population).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

trapp wrote: »
    And the worst part is so many believe it.

Interesting that they rarely have overdramtic headlines about positive news.

There's definitely an element in the media, here and worldwide, keen on keeping this going.

RTE being a great example.

It’s so true. The only good news story you see on RTÉ are the lockdown stories - people doing drive-by birthday greetings, talking to Granny on Zoom, etc. It’s like they’re trying to convince us that lockdown isn’t so bad, and we’re all in this together. No good news about the success otjer her countries are having in opening up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

bb1234567 wrote: »

so you took what I said and turned it into absolute

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Tiny rise in hospitalised to 182, hopefully down to less discharges at weekends, up from 171 yesterday.

ICU number fell again and is at 36, down from 42 yesterday. No deaths in ICU in last 24hrs.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/2020-05-30-2000-covid-19-update.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tiny rise in hospitalised to 182, hopefully down to less discharges at weekends, up from 171 yesterday.

ICU number fell again and is at 36, down from 42 yesterday.

Happened last weekend as well, numbers dont tend to see much of a drop over weekends.

Didn't post the operations update myself this morning because I'm not sure if its 100% accurate, there's figures there for 8pm last night but the graphs dont show anything, probably a reporting error but there's nothing there to back up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

It’s so true. The only good news story you see on RTÉ are the lockdown stories - people doing drive-by birthday greetings, talking to Granny on Zoom, etc. It’s like they’re trying to convince us that lockdown isn’t so bad, and we’re all in this together. No good news about the success otjer her countries are having in opening up

RTE is a disgrace. I'm not going to pay even a penny for TV license. They have to be fully financed by unelected junta which run this country at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

The opposite of what they were doing at the start, showing everyone on the street exercising in groups and other idiotic pursuits. Now they're doubling down and pushing the "stay at home" rhetoricwhen the restrictions have been eased somewhat?

Have you been going outside or to the shops at all or do you just stay in all the time?

Would people please stop bullying and harassing people who have to stay in the whole time? It's bad enough being a prisoner in your home because you have underlying conditions without being picked on by the very people who won't wear masks in public and will pass the infection on to everyone else. Maybe if they had a modicum of compassion or self discipline everyone could enjoy society again, but unfortunately you can't rely on anyone to do any civic duty anymore. There only seems to be callous obnoxious mé féiners around the place these days.

s1ippy wrote: »
    Would people please stop bullying and harassing people who have to stay in the whole time? It's bad enough being a prisoner in your home because you have underlying conditions without being picked on by the very people who won't wear masks in public and will pass the infection on to everyone else. Maybe if they had a modicum of compassion or self discipline everyone could enjoy society again, but unfortunately you can't rely on anyone to do any civic duty anymore. There only seems to be callous obnoxious mé féiners around the place these days.

What are you on about? The poster I replied to has strangers visiting their house ffs cos they wont ask their housemate not to invite them?

I wear masks as recommended too? Did you reply to the wrong post or are you just lashing out due to poor reading comprehension?

Talk about our low numbers, it doesn't mean we have eradicated the disease. We are not getting back to normal anytime soon and yet people are acting as if we never had the disease.

Yes we have to live with the disease, doesn't mean we have to get close to people.

29 Nursing home ate disputing the accuracy of reported deaths in their homes that were provided to the Irish Times by the Hse

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/hse-told-to-correct-list-of-covid-19-deaths-in-nursing-homes-39247229.html

It includes homes which have had no Covid deaths being on the list and discrepancies of up to 7 additional deaths in one home compared to the homes records

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I'll drastically effect some business,
    If it goes from two to one meter it means capicty to get people in work places, Cafes, restaurants, bar is doubled straight away

No its quadruples the numbers - probably more. Huge difference.

What are you on about? The poster I replied to has strangers visiting their house ffs cos they wont ask their housemate not to invite them?

I wear masks as recommended too? Did you reply to the wrong post or are you just lashing out due to poor reading comprehension?

How do I ask someone to get some cop on? According to them (housemate), we're doing well so all is ok. But will continue wearing masks when out and then invite friends over. I just don't understand that kind of behaviour and never ends well if you bring in sensible talk with these kinds of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

How do I ask someone to get some cop on? According to them (housemate), we're doing well so all is ok. But will continue wearing masks when out and then invite friends over. I just don't understand that kind of behaviour and never ends well if you bring in sensible talk with these kinds of people.

It’s a bad situation to be living with someone who doesn’t respect what you want to happen in your own home. I know I talk about lifting restrictions on here but I do t want to see people being fearful in their own houses. Maybe you could ask him to go to their houses instead? Tell him you have an illness that you never discussed with him before that makes you especially vulnerable? That might not be a great solution but it might work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Kinda explains why restrictions may be lifted.....Doesn't mean it's right.
    Given the litmus test for the decision would be an outbreak of a potentially deadly disease means that the stakes couldn't be higher. No-one wants to be associated with fall out from Brexit. I mean lifting restrictions. Hence the inertia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement