Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It’s a bad situation to be living with someone who doesn’t respect what you want to happen in your own home. I know I talk about lifting restrictions on here but I do t want to see people being fearful in their own houses. Maybe you could ask him to go to their houses instead? Tell him you have an illness that you never discussed with him before that makes you especially vulnerable? That might not be a great solution but it might work.

That might be the only thing that would work

Or ask if they could stay outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Happened last weekend as well, numbers dont tend to see much of a drop over weekends.

Didn't post the operations update myself this morning because I'm not sure if its 100% accurate, there's figures there for 8pm last night but the graphs dont show anything, probably a reporting error but there's nothing there to back up the numbers.

Have experience of long stays in hospital with my daughter and the weekends are the worst. Nothing except urgent stuff happens. She always managed to get sick on a Friday and you’d know nothing would happen over the weekend, Monday’s or Tuesdays (bank holiday) should show a drop hopefully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It’s a bad situation to be living with someone who doesn’t respect what you want to happen in your own home. I know I talk about lifting restrictions on here but I do t want to see people being fearful in their own houses. Maybe you could ask him to go to their houses instead? Tell him you have an illness that you never discussed with him before that makes you especially vulnerable? That might not be a great solution but it might work.

Never works with hypocritical behaviour. Asking someone to go to someone else's house is pointless anyways, they're bringing back possible infection into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Harsh truth to face, this **** will never be gone till there is a vaccine, that could be ****ing decades away

Jesus, I was expecting a little more positivity around here. Not saying you're wrong but we're doing good right now, so why not focus on the here and now? nobody actually knows the future path of this Virus, might even weaken out for all we know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Kinda explains why restrictions may be lifted.....Doesn't mean it's right.
    Given the litmus test for the decision would be an outbreak of a potentially deadly disease means that the stakes couldn't be higher. No-one wants to be associated with fall out from Brexit. I mean lifting restrictions. Hence the inertia.

Very apt for this thread. I've seen posters post factual numbers without comment and be hounded away.

E.g. Based on testing 0.03% of the population of Ireland currently has Covid 19 or 99.97% don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

514804.png

514803.png
    growleaves wrote: »
    Neither is Iceland.

That is the way of reasoning here. Stating a true fact, which has nothing to do with a previous discussion, so everything seems OK...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Stheno wrote: »
    What are you on about? The poster I replied to has strangers visiting their house ffs cos they wont ask their housemate not to invite them?

I wear masks as recommended too? Did you reply to the wrong post or are you just lashing out due to poor reading comprehension?

Have you been going outside or to the shops at all or do you just stay in all the time?
    It was this statement that I took issue with and I probably came off as directing my annoyance at you. Apologies, I didn't see who it was posted and tbf you actually have been vocal in your support for wearing masks.

I would be in an at-risk category and I knew I had to go out to the shop this morning so was in bad form and stressed. In other news, only(?) three people I saw were wreching and spluttering into the open air today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Harsh truth to face, this **** will never be gone till there is a vaccine, that could be ****ing decades away

You have pretty wild mood swings :p I think it might be eradicated from certain parts of the world, I can't see another outbreak occurring in New Zealand or South or Iceland for example

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Happened last weekend as well, numbers dont tend to see much of a drop over weekends.

Didn't post the operations update myself this morning because I'm not sure if its 100% accurate, there's figures there for 8pm last night but the graphs dont show anything, probably a reporting error but there's nothing there to back up the numbers.

It’s saying the CUH is now empty. Won’t get another update until Monday afternoon but if that is true that’s quite a significant decrease from 3 ventilated and 2 others to now having 0.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

s1ippy wrote: »
    It was this statement that I took issue with and I probably came off as directing my annoyance at you. Apologies, I didn't see who it was posted and tbf you actually have been vocal in your support for wearing masks.

I would be in an at-risk category and I knew I had to go out to the shop this morning so was in bad form and stressed. In other news, only(?) three people I saw were wreching and spluttering into the open air today.

No worries :)

• Advertisement

One thing to note from the HSE updates is we seem to have an incredibly high ventilation survival rate. Apparently the average survival rate is 20%, yet we see ventilator numbers decreasing with no reported ICU deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Congratulations Ireland! here come first political prisoners.https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0530/1143602-salthill-galway-altercation/

One thing to note from the HSE updates is we seem to have an incredibly high ventilation survival rate. Apparently the average survival rate is 20%, yet we see ventilator numbers decreasing with no reported ICU deaths.
    Not to come off as a doom merchant but we don't tend to put people on them unless they're younger. I know two elderly people and a young woman with a disability who passed away with no ventilator intervention but one man in his 40s who recovered after being in a coma on one for two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very apt for this thread. I've seen posters post factual numbers without comment and be hounded away.
    E.g. Based on testing 0.03% of the population of Ireland currently has Covid 19 or 99.97% don't.
    And your point is?
    Did you ever think about the future, short term?
    Everybody sticks by the rules and everything goes well. A few break the rules and we have a minor problem. Let's say 5% break the rules, we go back over an r0 of 1 and we are back in the mire.
    I decided to check out a local lake yesterday to see if I could bring the dogs out for a walk there and they'd be able to swim to cool down. The place was packed, I drove very slowly along a busy part of the road and observed three cars in one spot with six adults and a bunch of kids hanging out together. I observed a bunch of young lads, late teens, lying side by side sunning themselves, if there was a gap between any of them it was three inches max.
    This is not good, it's not supposed to be happening and if this is going on all over the country we won't have results from it for quite some time.

Not to come off as a doom merchant but we don't tend to put people on them unless they're younger. I know two elderly people and a young woman with a disability who passed away with no ventilator intervention but one man in his 40s who recovered after being in a coma on one for two weeks.

That makes sense, unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

eagle eye wrote: »
    And your point is?
    Everybody sticks by the rules and everything goes well. A few break the rules and we have a minor problem. Let's say 5% break the rules, we go back over an r0 of 1 and we are back in the mire.
    I decided to check out a local lake yesterday to see if I could bring the dogs out for a walk there and they'd be able to swim to cool down. The place was packed, I drove very slowly along a busy part of the road and observed three cars in one spot with six adults and a bunch of kids hanging out together. I observed a bunch of young lads, late teens, lying side by side sunning themselves, if there was a gap between any of them it was three inches max.
    This is not good, it's not supposed to be happening and if this is going on all over the country we won't have results from it for quite some time.

Thank you. You are welcome to your opinion.
    I just posted a fact with no comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

JoChervil wrote: »
    514804.png

514803.png

That is the way of reasoning here. Stating a true fact, which has nothing to do with a previous discussion, so everything seems OK...

It's relevant to Brazil, which is in the Southern Hemisphere. Can you not make the distinction between the application of a fact to one part of a statement but not the other part of that statement without it being spelled out? Not here to spoon-feed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

And your point is?

The biggest danger in that whole post was probably you driving very slowly along a busy part of the road. Could have killed someone.

This was discussed in the times yesterday our ventilation survival rate I think was four times that of England. I'll see if I can dig it out

• Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

kwestfan08 wrote:
    The biggest danger in that whole post was probably you driving very slowly along a busy part of the road. Could have killed someone.
    It was busy with people not traffic. Try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How come the young woman with a disability didn't get a ventilator?

Its a credit to our health service that we have such a high ventilation survival rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Stheno wrote: »
    It was over 64% of total cases so it has dropped hugely in recent weeks

No country has tested everyone with symptoms

We have tested a very high number of people and the tests are 98% negative

What do you want? Anyone with so much as a cough to be tested?

Have you been going outside or to the shops at all or do you just stay in all the time?

This is impressive given that the number of new cases has fallen significantly, recently. Which makes it harder to reduce the cumulative average. They must be tracing practically every case now. Only a few weeks ago the cumulative average was still rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

But seriously, outside in the fresh air your chances of catching anything are slim to none. Only 0.03% of people have been confirmed to have it. Don't deny yourself the pleasure of a nice walk when the weather is lovely on the very minuscule chance you get covid. Life is too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If you were driving on a busy road looking at people laying on the grass trying to work out how far apart they were you clearly were not paying attention to the road. You whether you like it or not were the danger in that setting. Driving without due care and attention is an offence under the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

RIP to the deceased, but I'm surprised that you know 4 people who got Covid and 3 of whom sadly passed from it.
    I must be very lucky as I know of no one who got the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Prince in Belgium tests positive after going to a party in Spain, travelling way farther than lockdown restrictions

Before anyone goes into ICU/ on a ventilator, doctors will assess if it is in the patients best interest is my understanding, and if it is not they will not be put on one

I know someone who was on a ventilator for 5 weeks and is now learning to walk again

Ventilation is an incredibly invasive procedure. Not nice at all - that’s why it’s saved for only those who doctors believe are likely to survive.

• Advertisement

She had underlying conditions, my guess is that her quality of life was deemed to have not been high enough had she survived and she had no family to advocate for her. I don't know for sure. She died in March.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement