Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It's very steady. The day with the 30 odd cases was only a 13 hour reporting period, taking into account the additional cases notified the following day it's very steady around the 60 mark.

Overall trend is continually downwards so to say it's going back up again is incorrect, your looking at daily numbers and not taking into account the overall trend.

Hospital and ICU numbers all trending downwards too.

It's not the doom and gloom picture you paint. Good to hear people are getting on with their lives as best as possible

How do you think so positively?

I went for a coffee and their coffee lids were on a counter for all hands to touch. It would be very bad luck if I picked up something from the coffee lid. I can't even enjoy a cup of coffee without thinking about germs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Meat plant, one presumes?

Dont know. was hoping someone from that region might have the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Spike last night of new cases.ICU went up by 5 one day too. Hopefully thats just isolated clusters but its 2 patterns that may indicate a little surge again. Hopefully this is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I went for a coffee and their coffee lids were on a counter for all hands to touch. It would be very bad luck if I picked up something from the coffee lid. I can't even enjoy a cup of coffee without thinking about germs.

There is no virus in the community, I think you are over worrying, at this point in time at least. When we need to worry is when international travel resumes again and infected Brazilians and Americans come back here and reignite community spread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Benimar wrote: »
    I know I’m probably going to be accused of putting a ‘bad spin’ on the numbers, but today’s figure of 66 is the total number of positive tests yesterday. The 5 denotifications are from earlier days (I don’t think they give a breakdown by day of those).

So while the overall number of positive cases increased by 61, the actual number of new cases yesterday is correct at 66 (assuming no error noted at a later date before someone says it!)

True. Also need to factor in that the tests were carried out over the last number of days.

• Advertisement

bb1234567 wrote: »
    There is no virus in the community, I think you are over worrying, at this point in time at least. When we need to worry is when international travel resumes again and infected Brazilians and Americans come back here and reignite community spread

The Irish are also infected. The virus doesn't discriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A cautionary tale from Spain.

"A single birthday party has been linked to a sudden spike in coronavirus cases in a Spanish town, with every single person who attended the party having become infected with the virus.

A birthday party held in Lleida, Catalonia, resulted in all 20 people who attended becoming infected, the Telegraph newspaper reported, prompting Spanish health authorities to postpone the region's schedule for easing the lockdown.

The Lleida area subsequently saw the number of new cases rise from 45 between May 7 and May 13, to 142 between May 14 and 21."

https://www.businessinsider.com/birthday-party-in-spain-linked-to-outbreak-of-coronavirus-cases-2020-5?r=US&IR=T

It just goes to show how tenuous our control of this virus is. We haven't defeated it, only pushed it back. It's only by maintaining vigilance and a certain level of ongoing precautions that we will be able to keep it pushed back.

Getting the balance right and finding the minimum level of precautions that allow us keep CoViD-19 under control is going to be more nuanced and difficult than bringing in the restrictions originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thinking positively?? It's called being realistic when you look at the numbers.

Your chances of picking up something off a coffee cup are tiny. Let me ask this, before covid would you have looked at a coffee cup thinking about germs when there was flus, gastro bugs etc always doing the rounds.

I hope you dont take offence as none is intended but it sounds like you've got a mindset that everything is contaminated and honestly that's not healthy if your analysing all around you.
    Personally when I'm out i use any hand sanitizer available and have my own small tube of it in the car or in my pocket, pop into the shops and use it likewise if I go into a takeaway or get a coffee or ice cream down the beach. I'm aware of what I have to do but if I worried about it constantly I'd end up not leaving the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

How do you know the virus is not in the community, have you gone around and asked everyone infected how they got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stop thinking of fear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,301 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A few days ago, it was 30 something cases. Yesterday, it was 59 cases, today it's 66. It's going back up again. And with people ignoring restrictions, it's just going one way.
    I was in town earlier on and there was so much groups of people all over the place. You'd swear there wasn't a virus out there. That's not good at all.
    You better be careful there. If you see a small rise in numbers, talk about people not social distancing and use a bit of common sense discussing the potential repercussions you might be labelled a doom monger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It is almost as if they want the disease to spread... as a last gasp for their immoral and failed 'herd immunity' tactic.
    There's a couple of groups pushing for the disease to spread. Some are anti-vaxxers, and so the only exit route for them is herd immunity. There's a certain amount of people who think this is just a "bad flu", despite all the evidence and the speed at which we had 100 people in ICU. There's a few who think that not taking precautions is somehow a way of being macho. There's a group of contrarians who will always do exactly the opposite of what they think "the man" wants, I suspect they never grew up and became adults. There's also a few unpleasant types who seem to think this is an opportunity to cull the weak and/or old.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

wadacrack wrote: »
    Spike last night of new cases.ICU went up by 5 one day too. Hopefully thats just isolated clusters but its 2 patterns that may indicate a little surge again. Hopefully this is not the case.

ICU dropped by 6 yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Of course there is.

Do you think those cases magic'd themselves out of think air.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It thought it went from 42 to 36 no? Unless the numbers were reported incorrectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ICU numbers were down yesterday by 6 for the 24hr period, an increase of 11 in hosptial which has happened in weekends gone by also as discharges tend to not happen. There's no spike in hospitals at all.

Spoke to a family member there a short time ago, another covid ward closed in James's today, hospital described as very calm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Good commonsense explanation here about timing of easing restrictions: https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1267113555712753668?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Exactly, try not to overthink it - with good handwashing, cough etiquette and social distancing the chances of you catching it out and about are extremely low.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You better be careful there. If you see a small rise in numbers, talk about people not social distancing and use a bit of common sense discussing the potential repercussions you might be labelled a doom monger.

Every time I post here, I get labelled a doom monger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I wonder what the R ratio is now, it must be increasing as the number of active cases must be quiet low now but our new cases are staying fairly steady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Jim Root wrote: »
    And how are you placed to judge the CMOs performance?

How dare I question one of my betters, is it? Go grovel somewhere else. First of all we can judge the disgraceful arse covering and bullying he partook in during the cervical check scandal, yet he was somehow able to keep his job along with the fact we bungled the nursing homes with one of the highest fatality rates in the world. But again how dare I question the Almighty Tony.

NDWC wrote: »
    Exactly, try not to overthink it - with good handwashing, cough etiquette and social distancing the chances of you catching it out and about are extremely low.

Good handwashing, cough etiquette and social distancing... How will any of that help with coffee cup lids that people touch?

Edit... I still enjoyed the coffee though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good handwashing, cough etiquette and social distancing... How will any of that help with coffee cup lids that people touch?

Do you not carry around wipes/sanitizer to wipe stuff down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Stheno wrote: »
    Do you not carry around wipes/sanitizer to wipe stuff down?

Or a portable chemical shower in case someone in the neighbouring county coughs.

STB. wrote: »
    Of course there is.

Do you think those cases magic'd themselves out of think air.

It is in nursing homes, hospitals, prisons, care facilties, factories, and other closed locations where there is no chance of spread to the community. The chances of you contracting the virus off a randomer on the street in ireland (at this point in time , of course this may change) are literally zero. The people meeting in groups right now are not doing any harm or spreading the virus.

When tourists/travellers come back, this immediately changes the scenario though. If we do not forcible quarantine visitors from risk areas, the lockdown was for nothing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Or a portable chemical shower in case someone in the neighbouring county coughs.

Someone sneezed near me in Aldi three weeks ago :eek:

spookwoman wrote: »
    How do you know the virus is not in the community, have you gone around and asked everyone infected how they got it?

No, but the HSE did. Number of community spread cases has been zero for a long long time.

Thinking positively?? It's called being realistic when you look at the numbers.

Your chances of picking up something off a coffee cup are tiny. Let me ask this, before covid would you have looked at a coffee cup thinking about germs when there was flus, gastro bugs etc always doing the rounds.

I hope you dont take offence as none is intended but it sounds like you've got a mindset that everything is contaminated and honestly that's not healthy if your analysing all around you.
    Personally when I'm out i use any hand sanitizer available and have my own small tube of it in the car or in my pocket, pop into the shops and use it likewise if I go into a takeaway or get a coffee or ice cream down the beach. I'm aware of what I have to do but if I worried about it constantly I'd end up not leaving the house.

Yes I'm also this paranoid in summer time and sitting out in grass or any woodland walks. It's the Lyme disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

It is in nursing homes, hospitals, prisons, care facilties, factories, and other closed locations where there is no chance of spread to the community. The chances of you contracting the virus off a randomer on the street in ireland (at this point in time , of course this may change) are literally zero. The people meeting in groups right now are not doing any harm or spreading the virus.

When tourists/travellers come back, this immediately changes the scenario though. If we do not forcible quarantine visitors from risk areas, the lockdown was for nothing.

Do you see all those people. They are a community. They also live in living communities. Those people they go home, they spread it unknowingly within a household. Someone goes to the shops etc etc etc. How do you think it got into nursing homes in the first instance?

It IS in the community.

Stop talking nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Prince in Belgium tests positive after going to a party in Spain, travelling way farther than lockdown restrictions

Blue balls to match the blue blood?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement