Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Yep WUM
    Your probably right,no body could be this paranoid in real life and still allow a flat mate to have friends over.Even the thought of someone with her mindset having a flat mate seems unlikely.But after reading through some of her many posts in this thread i am not so sure whether its a wind up, just lacks the subtleties needed to pull it off.

I just love how I'm being made out as if I'm being paranoid and over kill... By people who badly wants things to get back to normal again... And they're stuck inside on a keyboard.

You see, if you read my posts you will see I have been more often arguing against the open up now crowd. Arguing the facts as I see them, and the facts as they are now presenting themselves are that outdoor activities, opening businesses in a controlled manner and getting society moving again in a controlled manner is relatively low risk. We will never get to the no risk position, so when it’s low risk we should take steps towards normality. The way we lived from late March until recently is untenable in the long run. And what we now know about the virus means that the potential long term impact, health impacts both physical and mental, are far more serious than the low level spread of the virus. If things increase again to the mid March level, we will need to revisit, but as of now a sense of normality needs to return, even if true normality is a long way off

• Registered Users Posts: 38,302 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stheno wrote:
    I find masks most effective. Those not wearing them treat those who are as if they have the plague
    Yeah, not so much of late unfortunately.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah, not so much of late unfortunately.

Ah feck do they no longer stare at you in horror and scuttle away in the opposite direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

twitter.com/JanAageFjortoft/status/1267170708876115973

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I tend to a agree. Blocked ages ago but still see replies unfortunately
    You are entitled to ignore whoever you like

Talk about it in-thread though and you will be carded or banned. Now back on topic

• Registered Users Posts: 38,302 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stheno wrote:
    Ah feck do they no longer stare at you in horror and scuttle away in the opposite direction?
    A few do still but lots coming inside of two metres now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Worth refreshing

Community transmission means a patient had no known contact with another confirmed case or travelled from a country badly affected by the pandemic.

We are using the WHO definition of transmission classification, as required.

Community transmission is evidenced by the inability to relate confirmed cases through chains of transmission for a large number of cases, or by increasing positive tests through routine screening of sentinel samples.-

Local transmission indicates locations where the source of infection is within the reporting location.-

Imported cases only indicates locations where all cases have been acquired outside the location of reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Good handwashing, cough etiquette and social distancing... How will any of that help with coffee cup lids that people touch?

Edit... I still enjoyed the coffee though.

Was it an Americano, Cappuccino, Latte , Frappe ? Sugar -Y/N ?

Was it in a germ-resistant container ?

How can you keep living on the edge like this and hope to survive ?

How many more before you quaff your last and expire - a writhing , gasping mass of humanity who didn't deserve such a cruel end ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

STB. wrote: »
    We are using the WHO definition of transmission classification, as required.

Community transmission is evidenced by the inability to relate confirmed cases through chains of transmission for a large number of cases, or by increasing positive tests through routine screening of sentinel samples.-

Local transmission indicates locations where the source of infection is within the reporting location.-

Imported cases only indicates locations where all cases have been acquired outside the location of reporting.

Yeah community transmission is the sign of an epidemic. We don’t have community transmission anymore. 60% of our cases are close contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

boardise wrote: »
    Was it an Americano, Cappuccino, Latte , Frappe ? Sugar -Y/N ?

Was it in a germ-resistant container ?

How can you keep living on the edge like this and hope to survive ?

How many more before you quaff your last and expire - a writhing , gasping mass of humanity who didn't deserve such a cruel end ?

Stop it would you please.

Paul Reid was talking on one of the Sunday morning briefings and he tipped into other issues that this virus will cause:
    - mental health issues
    - ocd
    - addiction issues

What he said made so much sense.

I was crossing the road a few weeks ago and I was at the pedestrian crossing and I was going to press the button but then I decided not to. I waited for the traffic to ease before crossing and in all fairness the road was quite too. I just did a double thinking at the last minute before pressing the button. I'm the same way with shopping. I refuse to touch the freezer doors and handles. I just don't buy anything from the freezer. I suppose to some degree it could be a little ocd or paranoia but I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Interesting statement by a senior Italian doctor that RTÉ actually posted:

Coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, according to a senior Italian doctor.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.

Italy has the third highest death toll in the world from Covid-19 at 33,415 and has the sixth highest global tally of cases at 233,019. However new infections and fatalities have fallen steadily in May.

Dr Zangrillo said some experts were too alarmist about the prospect of a second wave of infections and politicians needed to take into account the new reality.

"We've got to get back to being a normal country," he said.

Micky 32 wrote: »

Coronavirus is losing its potency and has become much less lethal, according to a senior Italian doctor.

"In reality, the virus clinically no longer exists in Italy," said Alberto Zangrillo, the head of the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan in the northern region of Lombardy, which has borne the brunt of Italy's coronavirus contagion.

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI television.

Italy has the third highest death toll in the world from Covid-19 at 33,415 and has the sixth highest global tally of cases at 233,019. However new infections and fatalities have fallen steadily in May.

Dr Zangrillo said some experts were too alarmist about the prospect of a second wave of infections and politicians needed to take into account the new reality.

This has been mentioned a few times and is very interesting. Suggests that low cases in restriction-free areas are due to the weakening of the virus as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Alot of credible scientists have a similar view. Hopefully it is correct but no one really knows either way. It is not fully understood why some virus's just go away. Very complex and its not just as simple as herd immunity with 75% at least infected or eradication

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

This has been mentioned a few times and is very interesting. Suggests that low cases in restriction-free areas are due to the weakening of the virus as a whole.

Interesting. Could explain how our half ass restrictions pretty much eliminated the virus in the community. We only saw the virus thriving in environments where people were crammed together for long periods of time.

jackboy wrote: »
    Interesting. Could explain how our half ass restrictions pretty much eliminated the virus in the community. We only saw the virus thriving in environments where people were crammed together for long periods of time.

Exactly yes. We never really did hear of major outbreaks in open areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

"STB. wrote: »

Community transmission is evidenced by the inability to relate confirmed cases through chains of transmission for a large number of cases, or by increasing positive tests through routine screening of sentinel samples

Exactly. Thanks for WHO definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

wadacrack wrote: »
    Alot of credible scientists have a similar view. Hopefully it is correct but no one really knows either way. It is not fully understood why some virus's just go away. Very complex and its not just as simple as herd immunity with 75% at least infected or eradication
    Fingers crossed it does what SARS 1 did and just disappears over time.

Unfortunately this has to be region specific as the virus evolves - the Irish strain of the virus does not magically inherit any new properties from an Italian strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Good news if he's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

"The swabs that were performed over the last 10 days showed a viral load in quantitative terms that was absolutely infinitesimal compared to the ones carried out a month or two months ago," he told RAI.

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted anything to be true so much as this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

What does this mean?

I know the overall post is saying the virus is losing strength. But the bit that I bolded, what does that mean? That is good news. Are our doctors seeing the same?

I know there was talk last week of reducing the daily briefings. Are there any briefings this week? Any journalists here willing to pick up on this and ask about this at a briefing?

It's great news the virus is losing strength. Are there any scientists willing to throw light upon this for us? Is it losing strength because of the lockdowns or it just is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Corky man

Great news about virus becoming more weak as it mutates if true. In Another month Europe will provide most of the answers we are looking for regarding this virus. Unfortunately South America looks it has a way to go yet .

It's entirely possible a European 'bubble' as such could be created (as such it already exists) to allow unlimited travel within the EU if our numbers continue to decrease. Seems the Americas and Middle East is no go at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

It's unlikely that the virus has mutated to a much less contagious version so quickly as it has been shown to be genetically stable. What is more likely explanation for the low viral count in the latest Italian tests is not that they are seeing lower viral amounts of a mutated virus in the test subjects, but rather lower amounts of the exact same virus. It is not the virus that is different, but the hosts. The virus has probably already harvested its most vulnerable victims and we are now seeing it mainly in healthier people who do not develop the same viral load and are not as contagious. If this is what is happening, then it could mean that the initial R0 is extremely high, but a large percentage of the population have a natural immunity and don't even develop antibodies. Either way, it's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Dante7 wrote: »
    It's unlikely that the virus has mutated to a much less contagious version so quickly as it has been shown to be genetically stable. What is more likely explanation for the low viral count in the latest Italian tests is not that they are seeing lower viral amounts of a mutated virus in the test subjects, but rather lower amounts of the exact same virus. It is not the virus that is different, but the hosts. The virus has probably already harvested its most vulnerable victims and we are now seeing it mainly in healthier people who do not develop the same viral load and are not as contagious. If this is what is happening, then it could mean that the initial R0 is extremely high, but a large percentage of the population have a natural immunity and don't even develop antibodies. Either way, it's good news.

This is not about mutation - a completely different event. This is potency and viral load. Why it would drop is the real question.

The notion of it harvesting the vulnerable population doesn't hold. The viral load is seen in the swabs regardless of the underlying health of the host. Plus natural immunity without antibodies is not an option.

Viral load seems to be particularly important for COVID-19. It possibly explains why some people are asymptomatic and others require ventilation. Lots of factors at play here, including possibly immunity thanks to the common cold. Loads to understand yet.

Update as of 8pm:

36 remain in ICU, 1 death in ICU over past 24 hours.
    26 ventilated cases.

Number in hospital down slightly to 170.

Only 1 confirmed case in hospitals in last 24 hours, out of ~120 suspected cases. Not sure if this is normal for a Sunday, but this is the lowest figure in nearly a week.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-31-may-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 86,261 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Have some test centres closed, they are quieter now I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE Operations report just released.

As of 18:30, 36 patients in ICU - No change

As of 8pm 170 patents in acute hospital beds which removes last nights increase. Not sure if last nights figures are completely accurate as there was no stats given to back them up. But anyway its back at Friday nights level.

Just 1 case confirmed in Irish hospitals in the last 24hrs. That case being in Beaumont.

Edit:just saw ACitzens post, good news all round

• Advertisement

HSE Operations report just released.

As of 18:30, 36 patients in ICU - No change

As of 8pm 170 patents in acute hospital beds which removes last nights increase. Not sure if last nights figures are completely accurate as there was no stats given to back them up. But anyway its back at Friday nights level.

Just 1 case confirmed in Irish hospitals in the last 24hrs. That case being in Beaumont
    I've started stealing your limelight :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement