Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another Aer Lingus flight just left Dublin for Beijing to collect PPE. I assume we have other orders coming by sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

mloc123 wrote: »
    Are the HSE still buying 100 additional ventilators a week... Like they said they would 2 months ago? We must have almost 1000 now... For the 30-40 people that need one.

Many of them would have been ordered and paid for but delivery would only have taken place if and when they were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not a clue what you're on about. You wanted to get a dig at a reporter, I was interested in the content of the report.

Job done.

Good luck with the sniping.
    Oh I read the article and I agree with it. I did say that in my original post. Funny how you missed that and just saw an "attack" on George Lee. Anyway moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That's unbelievable.

I mentioned here last month that it this was happing in the states mainly because you get more money from the government for covid case ( 8 g per case & 32g for every patient that needs a ventilator ) A tick of a box and you get that money , So it benefits struggling hospitals ( people are steering clear because of covid ) who otherwise would have to let nurses and staff go ,

Of course I was laughed it,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

El Weirdo wrote:
    Many of them would have been ordered and paid for but delivery would only have taken place if and when they were needed.
    It'll be good to have plenty and be more prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

owlbethere wrote: »
    I don't study science or medical reports or studies. I had a quick look at that paper and I don't see anything about the ages of the participants or those people studied for this. I'm talking more so for the second group of people referred to. The 18 people where 50% had immunity for this Sars 2 even though they had no exposure to the original Sars. If we knew their ages we could know more. Like young adults of age 17 or 18 years would have been babies at the time of the original Sars. So they might have immunity from breast milk as an example.

I would love the same type of study done here to see what they find.

We can't go forward coming out from lockdown thinking 50% of people in Singapore have immunity to this covid19 and its only a small study too of 18 people. It will more than likely lead to people taking more risks thinking they are immune.

I read the study in detail. There are a few others from other places in the world with similar findings of blood samples from 2018 and 2019 having cross-reactive T cells.
    The immunity part is not a given fact, it's a hypothesis based on the specific proteins the T cells react to. It might have protective properties, but it might not. Someone would have to isolate, replicate those cells and then inject them in a monkey, and then do a SARS-cov-2 challenge.

The origin of those T cells is not known, they do not match the ones created from a SARS-cov or SARS-cov-2 infections (it's analysed in the paper in detail). Most strikingly, they do not match anything that could have been the result of any other HCoV infection (the ones causing Common Colds). Therefore the hypothesis stated in that paper is that the cross reacting T cells have been created from a different coronavirus exposure that would have a zoonotic origin.

TL;DR: The purpose of that paper was to follow up the other studies who found the cross reacting T cells originally. Here they were trying to estabilsh if and which of the HCoVs could be the culprits. The result was: none of the above, something else did it and we don't know what exactly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does anyone believe anything about transmission being low?

They were never testing everybody, just people with symptoms. It takes 1 asymptomatic person to keep passing it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

They were never testing everybody, just people with symptoms. It takes 1 asymptomatic person to keep passing it on.

If transmission wasn't low we would be seeing an increase in hospital numbers, these are decreasing all the time.

The case criteria to get a test is extremely broad and it's not picking up many cases. Asymptomatic are being picked up in the testing of close contacts, they get tested symptoms or not.

We would only be short of offering anyone a test which wont happen as everyone will look for one and it's a waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Yes but while there is debate over the ratio of asymptomatic to symptomatic, it very obvious that the asymptomatic carriers would fall at the same rate symptomatic are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The percentage of people with symptoms that end up testing positive is getting lower and lower. If it was continuing to spread, this would stay the same or get higher. There's no reason to suspect that the number of asymptomatic infected people is not diminishing at the same rate as symptomatic infected people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

179 more cases in SK, mostly Seoul, all schools galleries museums theatres bars and nightclubs in the country have been closed

179 more cases in SK, mostly Seoul, all schools galleries museums theatres bars and nightclubs in the country have been closed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If transmission wasn't low we would be seeing an increase in hospital numbers, these are decreasing all the time.

The case criteria to get a test is extremely broad and it's not picking up many cases. Asymptomatic are being picked up in the testing of close contacts, they get tested symptoms or not.

We would only be short of offering anyone a test which wont happen as everyone will look for one and it's a waste of resources.

Were they always testing close contacts symptoms or not?

Edit... Just checked out HSE website, they changed their criteria on the 26th of May, close contacts being tested, even if they don't have symptoms.

This was not always the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

bb1234567 wrote: »

No panic

They going for eradication

We flattening curve

2 different methods

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Akrasia wrote: »
    We’re talking about a relatively tiny number of people here, in the US more than a hundred thousand people have died with Covid 19
    If a hundred of those people were also gunshot victims it’s .1% of the total

Of course but it highlights what a joke it is because if anyone with covid-19 dies they it is counted as a death caused by covid 19 even if it was another serious condition which killed them and they would've dying either way without covid-19

Mike3287 wrote:
    No panic

They going for eradication
    We flattening curve
    2 different methods
    We should be following their lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Of course but it highlights what a joke it is because if anyone with covid-19 dies they it is counted as a death caused by covid 19 even if it was another serious condition which killed them and they would've dying either way without covid-19

That's the recommended way of reporting deaths according to the ECDC.

Ourselves and Belgium are reporting them that way. Many other countries aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

eagle eye wrote: »
    We should be following their lead.

But you've been saying all along that the worst possible thing we can do is open up and then lock down again. This is exactly what SK are doing.

silverharp wrote: »

How is this real..

• Advertisement

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

I don't get why this keeps getting brought up. Like do you seriously think that many people are having their deaths mislabelled as covid? If somebody presents with a serious heart attack or stroke in hospital for example, even if they have covid say with mild symptoms , they won't be tested for it like why would they? Do you think they are just testing every single dying person in every section of A&E for covid and loads of these deaths just so happen to have covid, even though antibody tests have shown covid is not a very prevalent disease in most populations?And those people who would then die of that stroke or heart attack without anybody knowing they have covid. And if they had major covid symptoms , it's likely that it did contribute to the death. So I dont see why this keeps being focused on

But you've been saying all along that the worst possible thing we can do is open up and then lock down again. This is exactly what SK are doing.
    They are not locking down. They are shutting all places where crowds gather like schools, night clubs, theatres etc.
    If we followed their lead from the beginning we would be fully open now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I am rooting for the monkeys. Think they are more intelligent etc. than some of us humans:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

They are not locking down. They are shutting all places where crowds gather like schools, night clubs, theatres etc.

What though? We would be fully open but we'd be "shutting all places where crowds gather"? Doesn't sound much like open to me :)

What though? We would be fully open but we'd be "shutting all places where crowds gather"? Doesn't sound much like open to me
    Is this trolling? Or are you just not very smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is this trolling? Or are you just not very smart?

Look, I know you are a bit nervous at the current time, and probably a lot more nervous than most. But you have no business accusing me of trolling or being stupid just because I view "shutting all places where crowds gather" as a form of lockdown as opposed to being "open".

They shut down schools, night clubs, theatres etc. Then they opened them back up. Now they're shutting them down again. This is re-shutting down of things is what you've been saying would be the worst thing for us to do here, but you're saying that we should copy them?

And you say that if we followed SK's lead in the beginning, we'd be fully open now, yet clearly SK did exactly that, and they're not fully open! How do you square that? Why do you think we'd have a different outcome to the one that SK actually have if we followed their lead?

You've twisted yourself into such a state that your arguments aren't even self-consistent any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

bb1234567 wrote: »
    How is this real..

the monkeys are rising I tells ya

https://twitter.com/peteerh/status/1256879788343455744

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I know I shouldn't laugh but...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Russia says 232 deaths yesterday for them which I think is their highest official count so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement