Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Hurrache wrote: »
    Lol, they're not mutually exclusive.
    they didn't mention she is a healthcare worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'd argue bringing a deadly virus home as justification.

I believe that would depend on where they are travelling from, and there is a thing called quarantine as well. Hence the EU putting some countries on a no-fly list to help stop the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Public transport load capacity increased from today because wearing of masks on public transport is now mandatory.

But apparently 90% of passengers have avoided wearing masks on busses and trains to-day.

Mandatory mask wearing can't be enforced because the regulations have not been put in place.

Please extend a welcome to the return of the Banana Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gintonious wrote: »
    I believe that would depend on where they are travelling from, and there is a thing called quarantine as well. Hence the EU putting some countries on a no-fly list to help stop the spread.
    1) Quarantine isn't enforced here.
    2) EU is doing exactly what I am suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Doesn't change the fact that she as a young and fit person contracted the virus.

• Advertisement

Doesn't change the fact that she as a young and fit person contracted the virus.
    maybe she should be talking about whether she and her healthcare colleagues got enough PPE as much as whether a young person can get the disease and suffer with it for a fair while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Boggles wrote: »
    Why should the soldiers be any different to the 30,000+ people who came into Ireland in May?

Well they would have been in a better position than most when it comes to quarantining /isolating properly, the option was there for them. It begs the question how many of those 30,000 actually self quarantine or isolate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

bekker wrote: »
    Public transport load capacity increased from today because wearing of masks on public transport is now mandatory.

But apparently 90% of passengers have avoided wearing masks on busses and trains to-day.

Mandatory mask wearing can't be enforced because the regulations have not been put in place.

Please extend a welcome to the return of the Banana Republic.

The bus driver can ask someone to wear a mask when getting on but once on if someone was inclined, they could take the mask off. The bus driver is driving the bus. He can't police the wearing of masks on the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

1) Quarantine isn't enforced here.
    2) EU is doing exactly what I am suggesting.

1) Enforce it then.
    2) You are saying to not let anyone in, the EU are saying to let people in from approved countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

owlbethere wrote: »
    The bus driver can ask someone to wear a mask when getting on but once on if someone was inclined, they could take the mask off. The bus driver is driving the bus. He can't police the wearing of masks on the bus.

Any buses I've seen today which is quite a few the driver doesn't even wear a mask no mind the passengers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

People seem to be still ignoring the fact that over 50% of cases in last 3 days are healthcare workers. WTF is going on in the hospitals?
    It makes sense. Covid hasn't gone away. Many hospitals are back to near capacity with non Covid (or so they think) patients. There's a backlog of work from the lockdown. We're heading back to the usual chaos/trolley nonsense which will be worse now as the inept HSE tries to implement more social distancing and more infection control.

Tries being the operative word. I know a retired nurse who had to bring a relative to A&E about a week ago. She said that there were obvious problems with infection control precautions. Either the procedures don't exist or more likely they do exist but are unworkable and aren't being followed because in a chaotic situation, corners get cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Could they be working here already?

Smuggled in recently via Belfast to work illegally in Turkish barber shops in the North West is what I'm hearing

mean gene wrote: »
    Any buses I've seen today which is quite a few the driver doesn't even wear a mask no mind the passengers
    should (mask wearing ) customers be demanding mandatory masks for Bus drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Cluster in North West associated with travel from Iraq, wtf like? How does someone get here from Iraq with all the travel restrictions?
    From Belfast.
    mean gene wrote:
    You'd have to wonder why the Iraqis weren't put in isolation before they were allowed in along with others from hot spots of the virus.
    We don't have any control over what restrictions NI have.
    Can anyone actually think of a genuine reason why 6 people from Iraq decided to come here now?
    To visit family apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

should customers be demanding mandatory masks for Bus drivers?

I'd expect a driver to wear a mask maybe you don't sh1t happens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Let it go man, the point was the virus can mess you up if you are young and healthy. It's irrelevant whether she worked for the HSE or Duffy's circus.

Arghus wrote: »
    Let it go man, the point was the virus can mess you up if you are young and healthy. It's irrelevant whether she worked for the HSE or Duffy's circus.
    I expect full information leaving out vital facts is deceptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I wouldn't let anyone in from outside the EU except in exceptional circumstances. No reason to be coming home now. Bigger picture here.

We have advice to avoid non-essential travel here already in context of very reduced flight volumes and passenger numbers. Not sure how more stringent we could unless we fully close borders and not sure how feasible or practical but might be worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Sofa King wrote: »
    Scaremongering at it's highest order.

I don't see any relevance in bringing that girl in to give a statement about getting it, she even said that she didn't need hospitalisation.

Car crash stuff from Tony.

He’s only trying to protect the public and she gave a great speech. I fail to see what the issue is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

You know I know personally a person who had it and it was nothing more than a runny nose and a small bit of fatigue for a day or so who is over 50 and fit their words not mine.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

People seem to be still ignoring the fact that over 50% of cases in last 3 days are healthcare workers. WTF is going on in the hospitals?

Think the reason is multi-factorial:
    1) It's spread via aerosol which makes transmission difficult to contain entirely even despite PPE and infection control precautions.

2) Patients may either be asymptomatic or present to hospital while in the 2-week incubation period (and subsequently become positive and contagious during their inpatient stay).

3) Social distancing isn't possible nor practical in medicine. Patients need to be examined, computers/charts/equipment is shared in a busy fast-paced environment and aerosol-generating procedures are done on wards daily which again is difficult to control entirely with PPE and infection control.

Hospital-acquired infection has always been common, but COVID is unique in the number of affected patients we are exposed to, it's contagiousness and the burden it has put on our few isolation rooms equipped to maximally prevent aerosolised disease.

Think journalists need to ask some more questions at these briefings. Do any of them read the numbers? 19 cases in Dublin out of 35, 16 healthcare workers out of 35, testing massively increased with no reason given.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Marty Bird wrote: »
    You know I know personally a person who had it and it was nothing more than a runny nose and a small bit of fatigue for a day or so who is over 50 and fit their words not mine.

Individuals can have varying severity for the same illness, that's not unusual by any means. And has been reported on frequently

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I know a person who's barely 60 and died of a stroke because of it. It genuinely depends not on age but on a person's individual health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

They definitely aren’t enforcing quarantine. I know somebody who came home from Australia and was meant to isolate on their own away from immediate family but broke it nearly a week later. This was a month ago so thankfully it seemed their actions didn’t affect their family but it does show how the guards don’t seem to bothering to do checks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I know a person who's barely 60 and died of a stroke because of it. It genuinely depends not on age but on a person's individual health.

Straining on the toilet can trigger a stroke. Yes, it does depend on health and pre-existing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Iraq flights arranged by Irish DFA
    Registered Irish citizens in Iraq 🇮🇶 will have received an
    e-mail from @IrishEmbRiyadh regarding flights from Erbil and Baghdad ✈️

If you did not receive an e-mail contact us 👩*💻👉 dfa.ie/irish-embassy/…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sorry for not indulging in your misery.

I'm trying to call out the CMO who has been given far far too much power for an unelected 'expert'.

His personal opinions carry great weight, people in this country are looking up to him and taking his word.

I feel he is doing great damage to many of us, moreso than the virus has and if he continues to get his way he will destroy many critical sectors of our economy.

Fortunately the EU will rule in the end.

Do ya know what, let’s run with your idea.
    You clearly want everywhere open and international travel.
    What’s the worst that could happen?
    It’s not like we don’t have examples of runaway cases and icu’s getting maxed out anywhere now do we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

CMO: “we are starting to see a worrying trend, with the number of reported cases increasing, and some new clusters”.
    They need to say where these are, comments like this say nothing.

It's such spoof. The numbers aren't there to back up that statement, cases is such a pointless Stát to justify being negative when the ICUs and hospitals are well under capacity and that is the only thing we are worried about. There is a narrative being churned out that isn't working as the numbers just do not indicate there should be any concern anymore in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Eod100 wrote: »
    Individuals can have varying severity for the same illness, that's not unusual by any means. And has been reported on frequently

I 100% agree it affects us all in different ways.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement