Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

fr336 wrote: »
    Still don't understand why people would prefer more cases and severe economic damage than to wear a face covering.

Because they don't like to be told to do something, especially if it's inconvenient and it implies that it might be a real thing with real consequences.

Much easier to rant about how it's all hype, it's pointless to wear a mask and everyone else is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

UsBus wrote: »
    A post on the cases in Sligo..
    Whether true or not I'm not fully convinced, but if so we are headed back for lockdown

The spelling mistakes bothered me more than the story to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Arghus wrote: »
    That's not the only person who's said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

ZX7R wrote: »
    According to BBC breaking news
    The European Union commission has deemed 14 countries safe to let into the EU.
    Algeria
    Australia
    Canada
    Georgia
    Japan
    Montenegro
    Morocco
    New Zealand
    Rwanda
    Serbia
    South Korea
    Thiland
    Tunisia
    Uruguay
    China could yet be added.
    EU border controls are to be lifted from 1st of July for all citizens.
    A qualified majority have singed off more than 55 %
    United States and Brazil not on the travel list
    UK citizens only have free travel till 31st of December .

How does that work exactly for countries like New Zealand and Australia if their international borders are closed? Does that mean they’re allowed to fly to the EU whenever they decide to open their borders, or is it only for repatriated EU citizens and essential workers?

In better news, the Oxford vaccine trial officially started in Brazil today. They expect full results by September and (hopefully) full release by October.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-06-28-trial-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-starts-brazil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I hope so, I wouldn't be surprised though. The barber story keeps coming up

It seems Zara King was on the ball after all! She got some slagging on here but the barbershop really is a death trap. She should get a Pulitzer Prize for her persistent and dogged pursuit of the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Arghus wrote: »

For me it was the never ending sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Dante7 wrote: »
    Morocco! WTAF?

"...25 infections among the 68 occupants of two boats that left Laayoune for Fuerteventura last week."

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/06/27/moroccan-authorities-detain-sub-saharan-migrants-to-test-them-for-covid-19/#.XvpBKyhKhPY

Saw yesterday that Morocco are saying that 98% of infections are asymptomatic . Seems a bit high? They say they have it under control anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

How does that work exactly for countries like New Zealand and Australia if their international borders are closed? Does that mean they’re allowed to fly to the EU whenever they decide to open their borders, or is it only for repatriated EU citizens and essential workers?

Yes basically if they decide to open there borders there citizens would be aloud into the the EU if they wish.
    Repatriation flights were always exempt from border restrictions.

It seems Zara King was on the ball after all! She got some slagging on here but the barbershop really is a death trap. She should get a Pulitzer Prize for her persistent and dogged pursuit of the facts.
    The story circulating is that they were actually doing house calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

In better news, the Oxford vaccine trial officially started in Brazil today. They expect full results by September and (hopefully) full release by October.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-06-28-trial-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-starts-brazil

Wow October would be amazing.

Looks like UK going to keep Leicester on lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

That's not the only person who's said it.

That's kinda how rumours get perpetuated too, people repeating same original thing they've heard. Not saying it's not true but just seems very light to go on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Dante7 wrote: »
    Morocco! WTAF?

"...25 infections among the 68 occupants of two boats that left Laayoune for Fuerteventura last week."

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2020/06/27/moroccan-authorities-detain-sub-saharan-migrants-to-test-them-for-covid-19/#.XvpBKyhKhPY

I'm surprised by this country also,
    The EU. List was for 54 countries down to 14 and possibly China.
    The list of entry Wil be reviewed every two weeks from the first of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm from Cork right and this isn't me speaking as someone from Cork but as someone who watches the numbers closely - the CMO is completely failing to report that this virus is primarily in Dublin. No matter what the population there is or whatever, the virus is predominantly affecting Dublin.

Most travel into Dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

I hope so, I wouldn't be surprised though. The barber story keeps coming up

Barber shop in Sligo town announced via FB on Friday that they would open today. Yesterday they announced they will be closed until further notice.

Leicester back in lockdown - non essential shops ordered to close again as well as schools. No non essential travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Based on what? Absolutely nothing. There's a reason we've slowly been reopening the last few weeks. But it is not true that there are concerns currently, the numbers just do not reflect it.

At the moment. Ffs how can you not understand that international travel will bring the virus into Ireland leading to larger quantities of the virus in Ireland.
    Couple that with the re opening of the country, it’s obvious what will happen!

tom1ie wrote: »
    At the moment. Ffs how can you not understand that international travel will bring the virus into Ireland leading to larger quantities of the virus in Ireland.

It was obvious in February and March. But the economy...but horse racing...but rugby... Now look at the economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

It was obvious in February and March...but the economy...but horse racing..but rugby... Well look at the economy now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

fr336 wrote: »
    It was obvious in February and March. But the economy...but horse racing...but rugby... Now look at the economy!

It’s unbelievable the lack of common sense on this thread by some.
    We should open up the economy internally- we have to, but bringing in international travel and allowing people to go on holidays abroad is asking for trouble.
    Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

maybe she should be talking about whether she and her healthcare colleagues got enough PPE as much as whether a young person can get the disease and suffer with it for a fair while.

That would probably be career suicide. She’d just a footballer then. Much more preferable to remain vague about how she contracted and to a PR post in the hope of helping the wider community. The guidelines for healthcare workers were fairly different to most other countries. Only to use respirators when engaging in aerosol generating procedures left a lot of people unnecessarily exposed.

Working in radiology room all day with lots of patients sent for lung CT scans, with only a surgical mask for protection would be fairly high risk. Those rooms don’t have windows for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Saw yesterday that Morocco are saying that 98% of infections are asymptomatic . Seems a bit high? They say they have it under control anyway

It's impossible . If you multiply even most serious cases as in hospitalised or death by 50x you probably get more than the population of a given area in a hotspot such as New York. In March and April alone in New York there were about 75,000 people hospitalised and 25,000 deaths.
    If you multiply those most serious cases by 50x that would mean an absolute minimum of 5 million infections, and excludes even a single further infection that had symptoms without dying or being hospitalised

It also doesn't even include may or June

Barber shop in Sligo town announced via FB on Friday that they would open today. Yesterday they announced they will be closed until further notice.
    Are you able to PM which one this is?

We should open up the economy internally- we have to, but bringing in international travel and allowing people to go on holidays abroad is asking for trouble.
    Madness.

People come the world over to visit Ireland - can think of worse places to take a staycation for just one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Interesting peer review study basically saying news channels are a steaming pile of useless sh*t for information on COVID. Also clarifying that most of the stuff on YouTube is equally bollox unless it’s from a physician, who are the most reliable and informative group to watch.

Medcram, that I’ve been watching for months , Is right there near the top. Just thought I’d post this here for anybody looking for reliable information without the drama.

Also thought I’d share this interesting video from Dr John who I have equally been following and who has been a superb source of information. In short a study in Barcelona (not peer reviewed yet) suggests the virus might of been in spain as early as March 2019. Frozen stool samples from the sewer had small amounts of COVID.

I don’t understand how it could of been around for a year before it was found but maybe a lot of people were misdiagnosed when they died or lots of asymptotic or maybe it wasn’t initially as bad? I don’t know, anyway Dr John always tells you links that you can research yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Eod100 wrote: »
    That's kinda how rumours get perpetuated too, people repeating same original thing they've heard. Not saying it's not true but just seems very light to go on at the moment

reads like your typical FB gossipy nonsense to me. ill wait for a proper source

I'm not gonna say what I know about this barber topic but I'm fairly certain it's 100% true based on what Pistachio said in the last few posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Madness.

I hope you’re also condeming people travelling around ireland for non essential travel aswell as international?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I'm not gonna say what I know about this barber topic but I'm fairly certain it's 100% true based on what Pistachio said in the last few posts.

With respect, a statement like that means nothing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement