Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Just finished the RTE documentary. Hard watch, very very hard watch. Our healthcare workers are extraordinary.

But we need a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

But we need a pint.

Well we do need the revenue and wealth that the pints (and other goods and services) create to find that health service. The income tax, excise, VAT, Business rates are etc.

But we could decide to take on a Cuban economic model.

Good stat from the documentary.
    UK ICU survival rate is 50%, St. James' is close to 80%.

It would be interesting to understand the reasons behind this, eg criteria for putting people in ICU in first place. There’s got to be a solid reason behind such a difference in survival, UK is not third world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Comments showing for me now.

"This place should be avoided in the future. Im all for supporting local business, but when someone has a blatant disregard for the population of Sligo & goes out of their way to sneak out the country to avoid self isolation shows you clearly dont care for your customers or the population of the North West. You should be ashamed of yourselves. You could kill peoples loved ones & infect so many people. You should stay closed."

Felt a bit sick when I got in this evening to hear an outbreak of cases in Sligo. I happened to be in Sligo for the first time in 4 months today. I also walked through a shortcut in an area I had never been in town before. Have just realised I passed by the barbers in question. Am relieved they didn't reopen today at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It would be interesting to understand the reasons behind this, eg criteria for putting people in ICU in first place. There’s got to be a solid reason behind such a difference in survival, UK is not third world.

Speaking of which, I wonder what the ICU survival rate is in countries like Brazil Mexico and India if it is 50% in the UK

• Advertisement

My local parish priest sent a letter out asking for volunteers to marshall Mass attenders, stating that they could not resume without sufficient volunteers. He will not hold services which could end up killing his parishioners.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I wonder what the ICU survival rate is in countries like Brazil Mexico and India if it is 50% in the UK

I’d say few get to ICU at all in some of those places.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

This barbershop rumour-mill stuff is disgraceful tbh. Everyone involved needs to take a look at themselves, not that they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

One reason I would guess, is the larger proportion of people they have from the BAME community, who seem to be genetically more at risk, than here.

Another may be the pressure their health system came under. Afforded more time per patient, decisions made, may have been more considered.

One reason I would guess, is the larger proportion of people they have from the BAME community, who seem to be genetically more at risk, than here.

Another may be the pressure their health system came under. Afforded more time per patient, decisions made, may have been more considered.

It didn’t come under that much pressure did it? I know that individual hospitals had capacity issues, but as a whole was the system that close to capacity? My understanding was that the nightingale hospitals were never used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It didn’t come under that much pressure did it? I know that individual hospitals had capacity issues, but as a whole was the system that close to capacity? My understanding was that the nightingale hospitals were never used

And why didn't it come under pressure?

I'm in bits watching this RTE documentary. Christ almighty.

I spent 10 weeks visiting somebody (who survived), many years ago, in an ICU, saw constant tragedy, resuscitation, people after suicide attempts, gunshot, a youngish registrar saying aloud “look at the blood draining into the bag, surely going to kick the bucket tonight”. That patient was a lovely smiling man, seemed quite alert, and survived the night. it was always tough entering the place with a smile on your face, trying to convey a sense of lightness and hope, and acknowledging the other patients with a smile and a nod no matter how hopeless the situation looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Might have something to do with whether patients were transferred from nursing homes to ICUs, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    A Dublin bar got closed down earlier for advertising and then trying to go through with a "24 hour party with live music".

Such arrogance

There's some responsible Publicans in the country. But the stupid ones will set us back

Which one is that, I couldn't find any news on it? (but i just googled "24 hour party with live music" so I had been assuming that such a quote would have made the news)

Great that the pent up beer money is being put to good use.

https://twitter.com/eoghanymurphy/status/1277711801598324736?s=20

That pub stands to lose its license upon renewal.

Great that the pent up beer money is being put to good use.

https://twitter.com/eoghanymurphy/status/1277711801598324736?s=20

Not seeing proof that someone else in the party didn't pay for a pile of food while he got the drink and one added meal? Receipt for booze does not prove point for journalist and he would be better served getting more proof than posting anecdotes. For info, I enjoyed some pints tonight and I paid for the pints and my mate paid for the food.

tom1ie wrote: »
    So do bar staff not have to wear face masks?
    Claire Byrne interviewing Marty Morrissey in the boars head, and both bar staff had no masks on.

Well they don't. No legislation to that effect. I went to the pub tonight and nobody was wearing a mask. People made their decisions I guess, and anyone with mask concerns was not there presumably.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

My local parish priest sent a letter out asking for volunteers to marshall Mass attenders, stating that they could not resume without sufficient volunteers. He will not hold services which could end up killing his parishioners.

Delighted to read this. Very responsible attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I saw something about children in Yemen where currently 45% of children under 5, I think it was, have significant brain damage due to acute malnourishment. The program stated that there was one hospital bed per 10,000 of population.

Can't say I've seen the same, multiple social media posts from people in pubs having a meal out tonight and all sat at tables with no standing, tables spaced correctly etc. The brother is just in from work in a pub as well, no issues there today.

Was out myself during lunch today and didn't see any issues.
    Maybe we've been in the good ones today but haven't seen any non compliance, have seen people talking about it on here alright.

Out tonight and had a few pints and everyone well behaved and decent social distancing. Not saying that restaurant/pub opening will not result in increased cases, they likely will, but that is why contact tracing is in place which will mitigate issues and hopefully keep things under control. Life has to go on (for some).

• Advertisement

Were all the required measures in place and was everyone following them correctly? What about time limits ? Were they being adhered to?

After your enquiry about my hair cut this morning I was expecting this.

Yes the measures were all in place as per the reopening guidelines. As much as some like to think that plenty of establishments are flouting the rules, thats not the case

As mentioned in earlier post, same as my experience - measures in place and everyone acting responsibly.

But I should say that I have sympathy for the worry some people appear to be going through each day, and hope that things work out enough so that they can have some comfort during these challenging times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd say it must be absolutely rampant in the favelas. Watched a documentary on YouTube and gangs in the favelas had taken it on themselves to hire private ambulances and impose lockdowns because Bolsonaros government was not taking control. Still though, if you pick up infection in Brazil, the chances of you getting ICU treatment of your poor is little to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just finished watching RTE in James Hospital Covid ward.
    My god the staff are absolute heroes and we all owe them so much respect

They are, during my stay in 16/17 Mater / Cappagh with zero pandemic I’d have classed the majority as heroes, super heroes to do what they do AND the threat and real existence of covid is even more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Iranian leadership has expressed alarm over the renewed surge in their country.

Iran reported it's highest death toll yet today since the start of the epidemic. Remember, Iran was one of the first to suffer badly along with Italy after the Chinese outbreak.

The surge in cases began 2 weeks a go.

They lifted restrictions in mid April and now Tehran is looking at reimposing them.

In the US, Kansas has made mask wearing in public mandatory (where a distance of 6 feet can't be maintained) in an attempt to prevent spread amid concern of contagion from delinquent neighboring or close states.

Also in the US, Arizona has ordered bars, movie theaters, gyms and water parks across the state to shut down immediately.

From the Guardian
    The governor of Arizona has ordered bars, movie theaters, gyms and water parks to shut down, in a dramatic move that echoed similar efforts by states around the country to roll back plans for reopening.

The order from the Republican governor, Doug Ducey, came on Monday and went into effect immediately, and will last for at least 30 days. Ducey also also ordered public schools to delay the start of the classes at least until 17 August.

“Our expectation is that our numbers next week will be worse,” he said.

Arizona health officials reported 3,858 more confirmed coronavirus cases Sunday, the most reported in a single day in the state so far and the seventh time in the last 10 days that daily cases surpassed the 3,000 mark. Since the pandemic began, 74,500 cases and 1,588 deaths stemming from the virus have been reported in Arizona.

Most Arizona bars and nightclubs opened after Ducey’s stay-at-home and business closure orders were allowed to expire in mid-May.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Mwengwe wrote: »
    This barbershop rumour-mill stuff is disgraceful tbh. Everyone involved needs to take a look at themselves, not that they will.

No because their hair is a mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

John Campbell mentioning today that the Irish situation isn't looking good due to increases in detected cases even as we open up. Even low levels of new infections have a big impact in a country with a low population like Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

s1ippy wrote: »
    John Campbell mentioning today that the Irish situation isn't looking good due to increases in detected cases even as we open up. Even low levels of new infections have a big impact in a country with a low population like Ireland.

Seriously - tiny amount of cases and he is doing his usual doom and gloom you're screwed scenario

Should stick to the sh*t show in his homeland instead of criticizing a country that is doing very well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement