Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

pjohnson wrote: »
    Situation and facts = panic mongering.

Thats been the way since the start.

That's a nice soundbite to brush off criticism but if you take a look over my posts on this and the other thread I've generally been on the side of caution. John Campbell is the go-to for those who were predicting hundreds of thousands dead in Ireland alone. He paints everything in the most negative light possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Cluster of cases in North West linked to someone returning from Iraq. Who the hell would be in iraq at this time?

image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

WHO going to china to find origin of virus. Better late than ever. Bet it's going to go well too. "Please can you tell us the origin of the virus?"........."No! , now you go home" -> visas cancelled.

At least they are trying I suppose or at least they can say they tried.
    “Knowing the source of the virus is very, very important,” the WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual press conference on Monday.

“We can fight the virus better when we know everything about the virus, including how it started,” he said.

“We will be sending a team next week to China to prepare for that and we hope that that will lead into understanding how the virus started.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/30/global-report-who-to-send-team-to-china-to-investigate-covid-19-origins

The cases in Sligo has really annoyed me. We’ve been doing so well in the North West.

The only saving grace is these cases were found a couple of days before the business opened as the place would have been full to capacity if it were open yesterday with no one the wiser.

I’m dreading the figures from the area over the next few days as testing centres are busier than they have been in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The Guardian is moderately left wing not extremely left wing.

• Advertisement

I notice a lot of posters on here use the Guardian as a source for their Covid updates.

Given we're in Ireland I wonder do these posters know or are they aware that the Guardian is an extremely left wing newspaper and has reported the crisis with a clear agenda from the start?

It is interesting to compare how the crisis is reported on the Telegraph website in comparison to the Guardian.

Shows clearly how all news and opinion is filtered though the agenda of the paper's political views.

Not saying which is right or wrong but just to be aware of the agenda of the reporting outlet.

Moderately left of centre v right wing crazies

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That's a nice soundbite to brush off criticism but if you take a look over my posts on this and the other thread I've generally been on the side of caution. John Campbell is the go-to for those who were predicting hundreds of thousands dead in Ireland alone. He paints everything in the most negative light possible.

I have no idea who he is, but who was predicting that? :confused:

I find myself wondering is the mental health of people being considered at all in the current crisis.

Before we had ever heard of covid, mental health was becoming a more serious issue.

As a reader of this thread for quite a while I do wonder why some posters still have posting rights. The glee with which negative updates are posted doesn't really allow for rational discussion and is actually quite offensive given the impact this disease has had on people around the world.

I to am worried about people's mental health. I've a different approach though. So you'd prefer to censor people posting facts? I take it you have no trouble with people posting mistruths about about said facts in an attempt to minimise them.

This is a real crisis. For everyone. Best to be real about it instead of burying one's head in the sand.

Having a healthy attitude is more import than wishing facts away. Here's an academic paper where 52 kids in London have damaged renal function after contracting the virus. This thing is serious for those that contract serious symptoms. We should focus on understanding why this is rather than wishing it wasn't so.
    Of 52 inpatients, 24 (46%) had a serum creatinine greater than the ULRI, and 15 (29%) met the BAPN diagnostic criteria for acute kidney injury. Urine output was not used to define acute kidney injury as fluid balance was often inaccurately recorded at the time of transfer to our hospital. Most cases of acute kidney injury occurred in those admitted to the paediatric ICU (14 [93%] patients), and in those with paediatric inflammatory multisystem syndrome temporarily associated with SARS-CoV-2 (PIMS-TS; 11 [73%] patients).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7295466/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I notice a lot of posters on here use the Guardian as a source for their Covid updates.

Given we're in Ireland I wonder do these posters know or are they aware that the Guardian is an extremely left wing newspaper and has reported the crisis with a clear agenda from the start?

It is interesting to compare how the crisis is reported on the Telegraph website in comparison to the Guardian.

Shows clearly how all news and opinion is filtered though the agenda of the paper's political views.

Not saying which is right or wrong but just to be aware of the agenda of the reporting outlet.

The guardian is definitely not extreme left wing. In my experience it's stats can be relied on unlike other publications.

There is also a reason why the telegraph is known as the torygraph...there are extremely strong links between the papers editors and the conservative party hierarchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

I find myself wondering is the mental health of people being considered at all in the current crisis.

Before we had ever heard of covid, mental health was becoming a more serious issue.

Obviously a pandemic and everything that comes with that will make mental health issues worse across the population.

But to me anyway there seems to be an element of glee and excitement in the media (reflected in certain posters on here) to focus on every bit of bad news and dramatise it as much as possible.

Recently we've had headlines on RTE of a ''surge in Europe'' which when the WHO named the countries they were all in Eastern Europe and included Kazakhstan and similar countries. Rte left that out and many took it to mean Italy, Germany, Spain etc.

The dramatic reporting of relatively small localised outbreaks in Germany and South Korea. Little mention on RTE once the R number was below 1 again in Germany.

George Lee delivering solemn updates over the last few days of the ''worrying and concerning trend'' of cases in ''young people''. No mention of how much cases have dropped this month from him.

The way that the syndrome similar to Kawasaki in children was reported so dramatically despite all doctors saying it was extremely rare.

Reeling out people such as Tomas Ryan and Gerry Killeen when they are clearly not experts in this field and clearly looking to stoke fears and get attention for themselves. See Gerry Killeens comments about a ''biblical plague''. These people should not be given airtime or at the very least should be on with a genuine expert such as Philip Nolan, Cillian de Gascun or Luke O'Neill to challenge them on their fearmongering.

The constant attention drawn to the drawn out symptoms and no attention paid to the vast majority who recover perfectly and quite quickly.

It all seems a bit much and a bit over the top with little concern for the mental health of the country.

As a reader of this thread for quite a while I do wonder why some posters still have posting rights. The glee with which negative updates are posted doesn't really allow for rational discussion and is actually quite offensive given the impact this disease has had on people around the world.

Agreed many people are suffering with mental health issues over this/lockdown, not a good situation at all.

I am a realist and indeed involved in the space with a wife who is a medical professional, both of us had the virus, thankfully we had mild symptoms but it was still quite nasty, i wouldn't wish it on anyone, young or old. It is quite apparent now, some people are very relaxed about the viirus and are not practicing social distancing etc. The virus is very contagious, no matter what people may think here, the way things are going it will increase significantly, your probably looking at a month or so. Of course i hope i am wrong but i don't see any other outcome at the moment. Everybody needs to mask up when in indoor public places and large groups. International travel should be ruled out, people b*****g about having to stay in Ireland for holidays this year are just selfish fools (my opinion). If we mask up and don't travel (holidays) we can be out of this within months within the eisland of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

so what is the agenda of the guardian in your opinion-my opinion that its another doomsday merchant no end to the virus we are in trouble no vaccine etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

are they aware that the Guardian is an extremely left wing newspaper

No it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Boggles wrote: »
    I have no idea who he is, but who was predicting that? :confused:

Take a look at some of the earlier threads on here about the virus - plenty of talk of 20% fatality rates, rampant hysteria everywhere.

For what it's worth I think the same of the current hysteria over the economy. It's way over the top. Some people seem to be uncapable or unwilling to take a balanced view of things.

I would disagree.

In any case it is interesting to compare their reporting to the reporting of the Telegraph.

Same news but completely different agendas.

Guardian have promoted fear from the beginning and have a clear agenda against Boris.

Not saying that is right or wrong just pointing it out.

For some reason a lot of Irish people seem to be getting updates from the Guardian.

The Guardian is centre-left and the Telegraph is centre-right, maybe a tad more to the right than the Guardian is to the left.

But both are mainstream papers. You haven't seen an extreme left or right wing paper if you think those are extreme.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Our deaths per million has been appalling since this started. In general we as a nation have handled this whole crisis really badly.

clickbait

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

"We’ve been doing so well in the North West."

This shtick is getting tiresome. The North West has been lucky. On balance people have probably been just as slack or as conscientous as in Dublin, it was always going to come to an end at some point.

This almost patting-selves-on-the-back thing about not having any cases is only going to add to the virulence of the reaction we're seeing to the rumoured (and all it is is a very weak-looking rumour) source of the cluster.

Agree.

But the Guardian have an extreme view to the coronavirus crisis.

And a clear agenda.

Not saying it is right or wrong but most posters using it as a news source seem to be forgetting this.

You keep saying this, if it's such an extreme right wing and clear agenda, tell us what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cluster of cases in North West linked to someone returning from Iraq. Who the hell would be in iraq at this time?
    Allegedly an Iraqi family returned home to their overcrowded accommodation and refused to self-isolate for 14 days, even after testing postive and were seen out and about around the town.

There are other allegations too, but it's hard to tell what's even possibly true and what's rumours from the usual anti-immigration heads.

In any case, this is a good opportunity to flex some muscles and look at charging people with offences for failing to adhere to quarantine and putting public health at risk.

I don't really see a vast discrepancy between left and right views on COVID. The right are more leaning towards 'ah fvck it, the economy is more important' while the left is more leaning towards lives are more important than the economy. No surprise there.
    But both sides know that one is linked to the other and neither can come and say 'ah **** the lives' or 'ah **** the economy'.

The extreme views are mostly expressed by ordinary frightened people that have been brainwashed by the 24/7 fear inducing media onslaught to a degree where the latest animations about droplets swirling through they air have become more real than basic simple facts.

I don’t give a **** if you find that tiresome tbh.

• Advertisement

Given we're in Ireland I wonder do these posters know
    or are they aware that the Guardian is an extremely left wing newspaper
    and has reported the crisis with a clear agenda from the start?

Valid point. But again posting that the WHO is going to do something and there is a direct quote from head of WHO kinda makes the point redundant.
    There's no Boris bashing going on. I think he's been bashed enough he
    since he contracted the virus so I don't like to kick a man when he is down. Even when he is doing pressups!

People are not stupid or mental. Probably just worried and trying to navigate this storm as best as possible.

Here's a daily mail article for balance.
    Government DROPS 14 day quarantine but
    Greece deals blow for holiday makers by banning all flights from the UK
    until July 15 because of high number of coronavirus cases as ‘air bridge'
    list will be released THIS WEEK

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8470323/Portuguese-fury-left-quarantine-free-air-bridge-list-ministers-DELAY-announcement.html

And here is an article that breakdown who's 'left' and 'right' . Doesn't cover who's optimistic or what they had for breakfast unfortunately.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/03/07/how-left-or-right-wing-are-uks-newspapers
    518300.png

Take a look at some of the earlier threads on here about the virus - plenty of talk of 20% fatality rates, rampant hysteria everywhere.

So you made a claim and you are asking me to back it up?

:confused:

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

screamer wrote: »
    2 weeks time will tell a lot about how we’re doing, and I really believe that people have generally become lax already with social distancing and general etiquette for coronavirus. We have a strong “as long as I’m alright jack, stuff you” attitude in Ireland, that will work against us. Time will tell as I say, let’s see.

This has genuinely been posted every couple of days for 2 months

Left Wing agenda.

Constantly dramatising bad aspects of the crisis with little focus on things that have gone well such as the constantly falling cases in western europe.

A clear agenda to politicise the crisis against Boris and the the Tories.

Speaking of agendas.

Welcome to Boards.

:)

The extreme views are mostly expressed by ordinary frightened people that have been brainwashed by the 24/7 fear inducing media onslaught to a degree where the latest animations about droplets swirling through they air have become more real than basic simple facts.

LOL, this post in itself it an extreme view.

Left Wing agenda.

Constantly dramatising bad aspects of the crisis with little focus on things that have gone well such as the constantly falling cases in western europe.

What's gone well in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

I don't really see a vast discrepancy between left and right views on COVID. The right are more leaning towards 'ah fvck it, the economy is more important' while the left is more leaning towards lives are more important than the economy. No surprise there.
    But both sides know that one is linked to the other and neither can come and say 'ah **** the lives' or 'ah **** the economy'.

I too agree on the economic situation, we cannot afford another lockdown on the scale of what we done, also thee socio-economic related deaths will be huge, we just won't know to what extent for the next few years. Overall we ar in a helpless situation unless we help ourselves - mask up and don't travel outside Irland for holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The one thing that media absolutely should do in a crisis - whether that be a war, pandemic or a natural disaster - is to scrutinise the official response and call out failure where it's seen.

There's a tendency to believe that in emergencies it should be all shoulders to the wheel, everyone get behind the leader, we're all in this together. But there's a massive danger that everyone will start pushing in the wrong direction.

It's absolutely essential that the response be criticised if it's going badly.

And it's going very badly for Boris, who is supported by the Tories. If you see this as "politicising" the crisis, then that's your sh1t.

Hurrache wrote: »
    LOL, this post in itself it an extreme view.

The fact you think this is an extreme view rather proves my point. Currently there is no room for discourse we're firmly in mass hysteria land.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Agreed many people are suffering with mental health issues over this/lockdown, not a good situation at all.

I am a realist and indeed involved in the space with a wife who is a medical professional, both of us had the virus, thankfully we had mild symptoms but it was still quite nasty, i wouldn't wish it on anyone, young or old. It is quite apparent now, some people are very relaxed about the viirus and are not practicing social distancing etc. The virus is very contagious, no matter what people may think here, the way things are going it will increase significantly, your probably looking at a month or so. Of course i hope i am wrong but i don't see any other outcome at the moment. Everybody needs to mask up when in indoor public places and large groups. International travel should be ruled out, people b*****g about having to stay in Ireland for holidays this year are just selfish fools (my opinion). If we mask up and don't travel (holidays) we can be out of this within months within the eisland of Ireland

As long as people can move freely between here and NI and British people can move freely within the EU then there is no point in limiting travel for Irish people within the EU. The Iraqi based outbreak in Sligo proves that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement