Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

The UK re-imposed the lockdown on the city of Leicester because they had 10% of the UK cases in the last few weeks.

The greater Dublin area contributes and has contributed far more than 10% of the cases here.

Perhaps a prolonged lockdown is needed there, until such time as they can get their act together and suppress this effing virus.

Considering that the greater Dublin area contains about 40% of the total population I think they've done exceptionally well. I'd be more concerned about a single case in Leitrim myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No to your first question.

No to your second.

No to your third.

Maybe read the thread and see what I have posted instead of filling it up with pointless questions far removed from anything I posted or any views I have.

You still haven't given us an example of the good things the UK have done during the pandemic that you claim they haven't reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ridiculous question.

It's the general tone of the reporting.

Interesting that it seems to be where Kermit the Frog gets all his updates.
    That just points to your propensity to be offended. Sure it's up its own ass at times on opinions but it's a good news source as are other publications regardless of where people put them on the political spectrum. One can easily extract the news content and respect the quality of their reporting without any alleged bias causing mortal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It's not a ''killer virus'' .

That implies most who get it die.

That's not correct.

To answer your question a bit of balance would not go amiss.

They were all over the rising r number in germany but no mention once it went below 1 again.

It’s a killer virus as in this virus has the potential to kill a large amount of hospitalisations when icu’s get swamped.
    Northern Italy is an example here. USA will be an example here.
    Brazil is an example here.
    What balance do you want? Mental health Yada yada yada!
    Virus does not give one fcuk about your mental health or political leanings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The UK re-imposed the lockdown on the city of Leicester because they had 10% of the UK cases in the last few weeks.

The greater Dublin area contributes and has contributed far more than 10% of the cases here.

Perhaps a prolonged lockdown is needed there, until such time as they can get their act together and suppress this effing virus.

Matt Hancock is actually saying lockdown being imposed because of the unusually high rate of infection in children. Said on radio this morning.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jun/30/uk-coronavirus-covid-19-live-news-updates-leicester-local-lockdown-boris-johnson?page=with:block-5efaed488f087cbba797e412#block-5efaed488f087cbba797e412

To your point. I would be in favour of local lockdowns if necessary and effective. Should be done on on per capita basis though. So meat packing towns etc should be closed etc. Also how many of the cases in Dublin were health care workers. Until we have multidimensional data people will get confused. "Dublin is bad because it has lots of hospitals" doesn't have same ring to it.

Saying most cases in Dublin when the most people live there is also redundant. Also the fact there is an international airport there with flights daily would need to be looked at before we quarantine 1 million people who had nothing to do with an outbreak.

We have sent in a lot of extra testing into Leicester over the last 10 days or so and one of the things we have found is that there are under-18s who have tested positive and therefore, because children can transmit the disease - even though they are highly unlikely to get ill from the disease - we think the safest thing to do is close the schools.

The reason I said what I did last night about Leicester is that it is an unusually high incidence in children in Leicester.

• Advertisement

Anybody who travels abroad and doesn't self isolate for 14 days is a selfish **** going against government advice.

COVID-19 hasn't gone away, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No they have been terrible.

I'm not suggesting the Guardian reporting is wrong just pointing out that many seem to be using it as a news source and may not be aware of it's political leaning given it is a British paper.

In my opinion some of their worldwide coverage has been too over the top and too focused on fearmongering.

They are right to criticise Boris but again it's just interesting to note how the same news is reported so differently in the Guardian compared to the Telegraph.
    At least we can agree on that.

Well it's fairly clear why something would be reported with an entirely different tone in the telegraph versus the guardian....

I think as long as people look at the stats for themselves and make their own decisions.

I don't follow worldwide coverage but I would think there are also news media who have played it down hugely as well? Just look to the US at fox or that bizarre "news" organisation OAN. It's sad when the most reliable news source imo in America is a comedy show called last week tonight...

I prefer to look at the facts rather than going by opinion pieces in the paper or news media.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's not a ''killer virus'' .

That implies most who get it die.

That's not correct.

To answer your question a bit of balance would not go amiss.

They were all over the rising r number in germany but no mention once it went below 1 again.

The world is in a crisis of proportions that no one can begin to imagine at this point. You are correct about ancillary problems caused by lock downs but there is no other choice.

It's not a debate where you say can we do a or b.

This is not a common cold or flu. Even for healthy people contracting it, it is unknown what the long term damage is to the human body.

All we can do is act responsibly as a society - by and large people are doing that.

If, at this stage, you don't understand or get the gravity of the situation then you need help somewhere. It can't be provided here. I know that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The population of Leicester is only about 500,000 and the population of England is about 55 million and the population of the UK is about 65 million. So, less than 1% of the population of the country but responsible for 10% of the cases.

It's not really comparable to Dublin with 25+% of the population and 38% of the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

polesheep wrote: »
    Considering that the greater Dublin area contains about 40% of the total population I think they've done exceptionally well. I'd be more concerned about a single case in Leitrim myself.

40% of the population and more than 75% of the recent increase in cases.

We need a reverse 'Pale' to keep the rest of the country safe.

That or give the Jackeens a bell and make them stand 10 paces away and shout "Unclean, Unclean".

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I notice a lot of posters on here use the Guardian as a source for their Covid updates.

It is interesting to compare how the crisis is reported on the Telegraph website in comparison to the Guardian.

Shows clearly how all news and opinion is filtered though the agenda of the paper's political views.

Not saying which is right or wrong but just to be aware of the agenda of the reporting outlet.

There are many biases every day which create blindspots for everything.
    Best thing about this place is you can be left / right whatever. Information posted,
    people verify , confirm disagree, counter it. People with agendas are quite obvious. It may not be obvious why they have that agenda.
    People are smart enough to cop on though. You raise a valid point about bias though.
    If you look at the overlap between the required action and 'left-wing bias' you can see that there is a significant overlap.
    i.e people calling for a certain public health measure are dismissed a commie when in fact they are just reporting something which has been scientifically proven to work in a pandemic.

518314.png

Institutional Bias: The following paragraph and table are taken from a leaked internal memo in google where guy got fired for raising it,
    Institutional Bias: The following paragraph and table are taken from a leaked internal memo,
    written by someone at Google who tried to open up a
    discussion on bias in the organisation(and was summarily sacked for his efforts).
    “At Google, we talk so much about unconscious bias as it applies to race and gender, but we rarely discuss our moral biases. Political orientation is actually a result of deep moral preferences and thus biases. Considering that the overwhelming majority of the social sciences, media, and Google lean left, we should critically examine these prejudices.
    Neither side is 100% correct and both viewpoints are necessary for a functioning society or, in this case, company.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's not really comparable to Dublin with 25+% of the population and 38% of the cases.
    And even within Dublin, there's massive differences. My immediate electoral district had, for example, a .5% infection rate over the course of it.
    Then there was a district in Lucan at near 10%. So how do you control that massive variance? It's not all of Dublin riddled with it by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

He's not panicking himself, no. Probably because he knows he's spouting nonsense to get clicks. I don't find anything useful about putting a negative spin on absolutely everything.

He’s not spouting nonsense, he’s more educated on the topic then anybody I’ve read in this forum. The majority of his information is accurate and informative. He self corrects (which is very important) because people who watch his videos let him know any errors and he brings it up. I’d argue if a person didn’t read anything in here or in newspapers/news media and just watched his videos they would be massively more informed on what’s been happening.

He’s been in medicine his whole life , training in nurses all over the world, has written a few medical books and is qualified to be a doctor. I don’t understand how uneducated people on this topic can insult him when they probably don’t even understand half the stuff he discusses. His qualifications are here https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dr-john-campbell-5256223b

You are welcome to post your own qualifications that make you an informed source to judge him. He was way ahead of the curve in trying to warn people about the virus, here’s a piece in Forbes from early February :

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/johnscottlewinski/2020/02/07/uk-doctor-uses-youtube-to-treat-panic-of-coronavirus-myths/amp/

Sometimes this forum is pathetic, he’s been educating people for decades and some people choose instead to take his platform as some sort of scaremongering agenda or something. People trying to bring down individuals by attacking them personally instead of focusing and discussing what they are saying. It’s part of the reason that so many people are badly educated on this virus and how we should respond as a society. People only able to see the side that suits them personally and build a narrative around it to cocoon them from objective criticism.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Drumpot wrote: »
    He’s not spouting nonsense, he’s more educated on the topic then anybody I’ve read in this forum. The majority of his information is accurate and informative. He self corrects (which is very important) because people who watch his videos let him know any errors and he brings it up. I’d argue if a person didn’t read anything in here and just watched his videos they would be massively more informed on what’s been happening.

He’s been in medicine his whole life , training in nurses all over the world, has written a few medical books and is qualified to be a doctor. I don’t understand how uneducated people on this topic can insult him when they probably don’t even understand half the stuff he discusses. His qualifications are here https://uk.linkedin.com/in/dr-john-campbell-5256223b

You are welcome to post your own qualifications that make you an informed source to judge him. He was way ahead of the curve in trying to warn people about the virus, here’s a piece in Forbes from early February :

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/johnscottlewinski/2020/02/07/uk-doctor-uses-youtube-to-treat-panic-of-coronavirus-myths/amp/

Sometimes this forum is pathetic, he’s been educating people for decades and some people choose instead to take his platform as some sort of scaremongering agenda or something. People trying to bring down individuals by attacking them personally instead of focusing and discussing what they are saying. It’s part of the reason that so many people are badly educated on this virus and how we should respond as a society. People only able to see the side that suits them personally and build a narrative around it to cocoon them from objective criticism.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

He's stating facts something that the open it all up and let them die crowd don't care for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I said it here yesterday and I’ll say it again. The numbers are there to back it up - this virus is predominantly affecting the Dublin region. The CMO acts as if the country’s ****ed when over 2/3rds of the cases since Thursday are from 3 counties (Dublin, Kildare, Wicklow). A bit of context would be helpful.

Post on Facebook from the barbers shop
    Dear customers and people of sligo just to give you quick explanation on why we remained closed the reason for that my brother was tested positive here in sligo test centre and i had contact with him because i brought him back from dublin airport and that rumours that he came back by bus and from belfast is not true so for the safety of our staff and customers and the good people of sligo we remain closed if i knew my brother is positive I wouldn’t have put myself & my unborn child and the mother at risk.

https://www.facebook.com/964598250220342/posts/3647363481943792/?d=n

I haven’t read the comments yet.

Post on Facebook from the barbers shop

https://www.facebook.com/964598250220342/posts/3647363481943792/?d=n

I haven’t read the comments yet.

The comments suggest the brother had been working in the barbers since he got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The comments suggest the brother had been working in the barbers since he got back.

I don't see many comments saying that tbh. Sure they should have been closed anyway.

Theres a few keyboard warriors on that post to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I hope everyone in that family recovers fully, I highly doubt they set out with malintentions and could well have had a compassionate reason for traveling home to Iraq, it's not for us to judge.

Sligo town could well be the first localised re-introduction of restrictions. If there's any sense pubs and restaurants should be closed again there as well as non essential retail

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He’s not spouting nonsense, he’s more educated on the topic then anybody I’ve read in this forum. The majority of his information is accurate and informative. He self corrects (which is very important) because people who watch his videos let him know any errors and he brings it up. I’d argue if a person didn’t read anything in here or in newspapers/news media and just watched his videos they would be massively more informed on what’s been happening.

Perhaps nonsense was harsh, but he does seem to have a very negative outlook on the whole thing.

None of that makes him an expert on Covid 19. That's not me having a go at his education or what he's done in life in general. What exactly about his education and work history makes him an expert on Covid? Medicine is a very broad field.

I'm not going to post a link to my qualifications for obvious reasons but I'm educated to M.Sc. level in a biology subject. One thing I've learned is that despite being well educated in the area I know next to nothing about topics that from an outside glance would seem closely related to my field of study.

You're making plenty of personal attacks yourself there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

He's stating facts something that the open it all up and let them die crowd don't care for.

Another nice soundbite but I'm not one of the open everything up crowd. Why do people on these threads have to paint things in such a black and white manner?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

thelad95 wrote: »
    I hope everyone in that family recovers fully, I highly doubt they set out with malintentions and could well have had a compassionate reason for traveling home to Iraq, it's not for us to judge.

Sligo town could well be the first localised re-introduction of restrictions. If there's any sense pubs and restaurants should be closed again there as well as non essential retail

We have had several cases from overseas travel.

What am I missing here, why is the Iraqi fella being singled out?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

why don't you just marry him...

Joe Rogan for hypochondriacs

Boggles wrote: »
    We have had several cases from overseas travel.

What am I missing here, why is the Iraqi fella being singled out?

:confused:

Because sligo hasn't had any cases for the last month or so, so it's a perfect storm for this kind of scenario.

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Because sligo hasn't had any cases for the last month or so, so it's a perfect storm for this kind of scenario.

And if it’s 1 fella he has resulted in a cluster of 6 and possibly even more. Superspreaders have to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They had a case on the 17th of this month.

Was there pitch forks for that person?

I think they are implying that they’ve been cutting hair on the QT but nobody is gonna admit to getting them to cut their hair so for now, I’d take it they haven’t been.

The post doesn’t say when his brother got back. What I’ve heard is a child in the family cane down with what they thought was a chest infection, tested positive and then 20 contacts tested resulting in 6 confirmed.

Last Friday the barbers posted they were opening Monday. Then they post they won’t be opening. TI know the location, it’s a small area approx 15-20ft x approx 8ft in an arcade with the exit to Tesco right beside it. I don’t know if they’ve been in there doing work to get the place ready for opening.

It’s months since I went to Tesco but I had to queue alongside this shop as the Tesco entrance was further down. Dunno if all that’s changed with shops in arcade reopening.

The barbers has been closed all this time. I'd give facebook comments a wide berth if i were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Another nice soundbite but I'm not one of the open everything up crowd. Why do people on these threads have to paint things in such a black and white manner?

Judging by his contributions in current affairs, rent boys would prefer if things were painted solely white.

• Advertisement

The barbers has been closed all this time. I'd give facebook comments a wide berth if i were you.

I mean house calls, the barbers was obviously closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement