Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Perhaps nonsense was harsh, but he does seem to have a very negative outlook on the whole thing.

Really? I've watched literally one of his videos, the one where he talked about the April 29th report from the Korean Central Clinical Committee for Emerging Disease Control. It was extremely positive because their findings were positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

tom1ie wrote: »
    It’s great to see economic activity coming back it’s needed. However I am in mount joy square at the minute bringing a family member to an essential hospital appointment and I can tell you now, SD has all but disappeared, mask wearing is in the low 10-15% of people.
    It’s fairly obvious we will see an increase in numbers.
    If they lock down dublin for 14 days how the hell is that gonna be enforced?
    They cant even make people wear masks on busses at the minute!
    I hope it doesn’t end up as bad as Florida or anywhere like that.

I have to say I don't particularly feel annoyed at a lack of social distancing outside - say walking on the pavements or sitting in a park or even neighbours chatting over a garden fence (though I'd expect a bit of distance if you are facing each other and having a conversation).

In a shop or enclosed area I do think that ideally a mask should be worn, and if you forgot yours or hate wearing them, make a special effort to keep the 2m distance. People with no mask, standing on top of you, inside a shop are just **sholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

tom1ie wrote: »
    I am in mount joy square at the minute bringing a family member to an essential hospital appointment and I can tell you now, SD has all but disappeared

This has been said since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Gruffalox wrote: »
    The lads in that barber shop in Sligo are lovely fellas. It is very popular. Sorry to hear they are sick. People don't speak much of the unconscious stigma that attaches to covid 19. As one of my siblings said recently I would certainly keep it on the downlow if I caught it. These lads just happen to be identifiable which is tough for them. Anyway I don't know if there is anything scandalous otherwise attached yo the matter as I just dropped in.
    I know them yes they're sound lads but that doesn't excuse reckless and ignorant behaviour. This could have been avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Gruffalox wrote: »
    The lads in that barber shop in Sligo are lovely fellas. It is very popular. Sorry to hear they are sick. People don't speak much of the unconscious stigma that attaches to covid 19. As one of my siblings said recently I would certainly keep it on the downlow if I caught it. These lads just happen to be identifiable which is tough for them. Anyway I don't know if there is anything scandalous otherwise attached yo the matter as I just dropped in.

Exactly. Well said. Hope they are all ok.
    How many people would even engage with contact tracing etc. If you brought back from UK or whatever and you brought it back unbeknownst to you and subsequently infected a number of people you are hardly going to tell anybody. They won't know where they got it from. The stigma prevents proper contact tracing. Same could be said for any number of activities. No one who brings it into a pub etc would dare speak of it. So plenty of gaps in our contact tracing system due to this stigma. Must be hard for people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

MY BAD wrote: »
    I know them yes they're sound lads but that doesn't excuse reckless and ignorant behaviour. This could have been avoided.

What exactly was reckless? They are probably Irish citizens who have the right to visit family. Nothing is stopping them legally. They acted within the law. This is where the brown skin comes in to play I'm afraid. If someone came here from Italy because they had flights booked even though match was cancelled. Nobody talks about that?

That's an unnecessary journey. Bringing someone over to restart business who was probably let go at start of this is I'd argue is necessary. They should have quarantined. There's bound to be loads of instances of people flying back in to restart employment in hospitality sector. You are entitled to diddly squat if you were not here for a Long time so immigrant workers probably left in their droves as not entitled to Covid payment. They'll be coming back with stuff opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

India is considering reintroducing national measures even though cities are being put on lock down due to an escalating surge in cases says the PM.

Prime Minister Modi went on the say:
    “Ever since [the easing of restrictions] started in the country, negligence in personal and social behaviour has been increasing,”

Indeed it has, and not only in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Exactly. Well said. Hope they are all ok.
    How many people would even engage with contact tracing etc. If you brought back from UK or whatever and you brought it back unbeknownst to you and subsequently infected a number of people you are hardly going to tell anybody. They won't know where they got it from. The stigma prevents proper contact tracing. Same could be said for any number of activities. No one who brings it into a pub etc would dare speak of it. So plenty of gaps in our contact tracing system due to this stigma. Must be hard for people.

Yup agree there, there's a stigma attached to having it, then the Facebook rumours start, the local gossip etc. You can see why someone would want to keep it very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What exactly was reckless? They are probably Irish citizens who have the right to visit family. Nothing is stopping them legally. They acted within the law. This is where the brown skin comes in to play I'm afraid. If someone came here from Italy because they had flights booked even though match was cancelled. Nobody talks about that?

That's an unnecessary journey. Bringing someone over to restart business who was probably let go at start of this is I'd argue is necessary. They should have quarantined. There's bound to be loads of instances of people flying back in to restart employment in hospitality sector. You are entitled to diddly squat if you were not here for a Long time so immigrant workers probably left in their droves as not entitled to Covid payment. They'll be coming back with stuff opening up.
    Race has nothing to do with it for me, maybe some people but I can only speak for myself. I'm not going speculating on the lads citizenship or if they are entitled to the covid payment that's their business. I think it would be just as reckless for Mary and Paddy to visit family in England and then return without quarantine too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

JDD wrote: »
    I have to say I don't particularly feel annoyed at a lack of social distancing outside - say walking on the pavements or sitting in a park or even neighbours chatting over a garden fence (though I'd expect a bit of distance if you are facing each other and having a conversation).

In a shop or enclosed area I do think that ideally a mask should be worn, and if you forgot yours or hate wearing them, make a special effort to keep the 2m distance. People with no mask, standing on top of you, inside a shop are just **sholes.

I agree with that. If you're out and about I dont see the need for a mask. If someone wishes to wear one then fair enough.

But they really do need to be made mandatory in enclosed public spaces. Although I'm guessing some form of legislation would need to be introduced so this could be enforced

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

ShyMets wrote: »
    I agree with that. If you're out and about I dont see the need for a mask. If someone wishes to wear one then fair enough.

But they really do need to be made mandatory in enclosed public spaces. Although I'm guessing some form of legislation would need to be introduced so this could be enforced

Why? They haven't been mandatory throughout all of this and yet we've almost eradicated it from the community. Supermarket staff don't wear them and yet they have hardly been affected at all. We've opened pubs and restaurants where people will be eating and drinking, making it impossible to wear a mask. Until there is a vaccine there will always be something that is pushed for in its absence. Right now it's masks, next month it could be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Irish ICUs historically mortality rate 13 to 14% for the years audited since NOCA set up.
    So this is an obvious increase in mortality if it continues through the rest of 2020 .
    UK mortality rates are usually broadly similar .
    There have been questions about the current difference in mortality rates between the two jurisdictions , but it is generally attributed to the severity of infection and illness in the community in the UK causing the large increase there .
    Good article in the Guardian about it from April though trying to post linkhttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/13/experts-divided-comparison-uk-ireland-coronavirus-record

Most of that article is irrelevant waffle, based on SARS-2 spread in the two countries, which is rather irrelevant to the topic of ICU outcomes.

What I meant was if severely ill patients in Irish care homes were not being transferred to ICUs as readily as those in the UK were, that could easily explain the difference. I seem to recall a month or so ago that someone alleged this was the case.

polesheep wrote: »
    Why? They haven't been mandatory throughout all of this and yet we've almost eradicated it from the community. Supermarket staff don't wear them and yet they have hardly been affected at all. We've opened pubs and restaurants where people will be eating and drinking, making it impossible to wear a mask. Until there is a vaccine there will always be something that is pushed for in its absence. Right now it's masks, next month it could be something else.

Because by wearing face masks we can help keep the virus suppressed. We've done well reducing the virus in the general community but that was largely down to the country being locked down and few people moving about

Now we've essentially opened up. And I'm glad we have. We need to keep the virus suppressed. The CMO has already noted that numbers are beginning to rise slightly.

At the moment the rise is small and manageable but it could easily spiral out of control. Masks are away of preventing this happening and ensuring that economic activity can continue largely unaffected

Mwengwe wrote: »
    "We’ve been doing so well in the North West."

This shtick is getting tiresome. The North West has been lucky. On balance people have probably been just as slack or as conscientous as in Dublin, it was always going to come to an end at some point.

This almost patting-selves-on-the-back thing about not having any cases is only going to add to the virulence of the reaction we're seeing to the rumoured (and all it is is a very weak-looking rumour) source of the cluster.

So you think the actions of the people in the north west had no influence on getting the spread of the virus down to zero for nearly a month?

They deserve lots of credit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

If we can open everything up and masks keep the virus suppressed, wouldn’t that be a win win? As said above, lots of people out of work and staying at home or within 2km/5km kept the virus suppressed, now as everyone goes back to work and interacting with more people, we need something to keep the numbers low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

ShyMets wrote: »
    Because by wearing face masks we can help keep the virus suppressed. We've done well reducing the virus in the general community but that was largely down to the country being locked down and few people moving about

Now we've essentially opened up. And I'm glad we have. We need to keep the virus suppressed. The CMO has already noted that numbers are beginning to rise slightly.

At the moment the rise is small and manageable but it could easily spiral out of control. Masks are away of preventing this happening and ensuring that economic activity can continue largely unaffected

A rise in numbers from 1 to 2 is a 100% rise. Does it deserve a dramatic reaction?

Again, the supermarkets are solid evidence, yet it is conveniently ignored.

ACitizen you'll be interested in this as we questioned yesterday how healthcare staff were still being disproportionately affected

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/just-one-in-seven-staff-wearing-face-masks-at-hospital-39327208.html

A rise in numbers from 1 to 2 is a 100% rise. Does it deserve a dramatic reaction?

Solid evidence of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

What obligatory testing is her talking about his brother having to undergo?

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2020/06/30/exclusive-iraqi-national-subject-to-racial-abuse-after-sligo-covid-19-confirmation-moves-to-clarify-scaremongering-regarding-family-cases/

Also, I read, possibly here, that they only discovered the infection after they brought the child to hospital for a chest infection, and that this family were up and about in sligo town despite knowing they were infected.
    Is there proof of any of these allegations? What is the truth and what isn't?

Incidentally I saw some of yesterday's press briefing and Holohan never mentioned anything about this family travelling on a bus or through Belfast. He didnt even mention Sligo (he said the North-West), but he did confirm it was travel from Iraq.

As I've stated the rise is still very small and thus manageable. But if we dont take precautions the numbers may very well become large and we could be looking at localised lockdowns or worst yet a national lockdown.

Being honest I dont think asking people to wear a mask when in an enclosed space where they can't social distance themselves is a dramatic reaction.

Its just sensible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ACitizen you'll be interested in this as we questioned yesterday how healthcare staff were still being disproportionately affected

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/just-one-in-seven-staff-wearing-face-masks-at-hospital-39327208.html

Knew there had to be something. Serious shortcomings in the hospitals. 16 of 35 cases from Thursday to Saturday were healthcare workers. Shocking numbers.

Latest testing data has been released. Serious increases in testing in the last week - 5000 swabs taken Saturday for the first time in a long time. Great to see we’re mass testing once again.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-29-june-2020.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

The Irish Travel Agents Association is calling for the government to formally cancel flights abroad so people can get refunds. It seems as if people are actually being forced to go on holiday by the airlines.

Actually it's more nuanced than that. People are being forced to make choice themselves; go, or lose all money. If the flight goes the airline gains for everyone who is a no-show; they get to keep the airfare, plus they need less fuel for less passengers and baggage, so the cost of running the flight decreases. Not going to be huge savings on the fuel, to be fair, but every saving helps.

If the flight is cancelled though, the airline has to refund or at least offer vouchers, so it's in the airlines interest to fly as many routes with as few loaded passengers as it can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Latest testing data has been released. Serious increases in testing in the last week - 5000 swabs taken Saturday for the first time in a long time. Great to see we’re mass testing once again.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard-29-june-2020.pdf

And with 24 cases, that keeps us at the ~0.5% positive level still, right? I wonder if they did the 15,000 max capacity of tests, would we see 75 cases.

And with 24 cases, that keeps us at the ~0.5% positive level still, right? I wonder if they did the 15,000 max capacity of tests, would we see 75 cases.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re picking up a few asymptomatic cases. The referrals are ridiculously high, they weren’t even that high in May. They must be offering tests to everybody.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re picking up a few asymptomatic cases. The referrals are ridiculously high, they weren’t even that high in May. They must be offering tests to everybody.

Yup, there's quite clearly been a change of policy with regards to referrals in the past week that they've not made public information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Knew there had to be something. Serious shortcomings in the hospitals. 16 of 35 cases from Thursday to Saturday were healthcare workers. Shocking numbers.

Why is there such a low percentage of staff wearing masks? Seems utterly bizarre. How much of it is down to supply problems and how much of it is down to people not bothering?

Arghus wrote: »
    It was harrowing at times, the staff were truly incredible - you could see that it was overwhelming for them too.

Made me think of all them fools in the relaxation of restriction thread, whining that they have to put up with inconvenience, it's just a cold and sure old people were probably going to die anyway. They, if they felt shame, should feel ashamed of themselves.

This on the RTE player?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just finished watching RTE in James Hospital Covid ward.
    My god the staff are absolute heroes and we all owe them so much respect

There is a thread on here with people clamouring for their pay to be cut, creid nó ná creid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Drumpot wrote: »
    So you don’t even know what his qualifications are but you are sure he hasn’t a clue about what he is talking about?
    What are his qualifications? It seems impossible to find definitively what he is a doctor of. The sources I can find don't look official but say it involves teaching of nurses....so not exactly a virologist is he?

His linked in doesnt include anything to say what he is a doctor of.....so you tell me? What in the below makes him qualified with regards coronavirus?
    Nurse currently working in A and E with a demonstrated history in Nurse Education. Skilled in pratical Nursing, Healthcare, Nursing Research, and Health and Educational research. Strong healthcare services professional with two higher degrees and several teaching qualifications. Research record focused in teaching bioscience in national and international nurse education

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement