Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Yup, I still don't understand how healthcare workers are still picking it up in high numbers relative to our total case numbers, although the article on mask wearing by hosptial staff might go part of the way

They're the eye of the storm surely, even with protection. You've got countless opportunities to pick this up as a healthcarer worker as Covid patients or potential Covid patients are in your place of work. There#'s also no accounting for the irresponsibility of the public turning up when they think they might have Covid and taking no precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not sure how the man says in an interview they went immediately into self-isolation but first went for a family meal.... christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yup, I still don't understand how healthcare workers are still picking it up in high numbers relative to our total case numbers, although the article on mask wearing by hosptial staff might go part of the way

Friend of my wife is delivering hygiene courses for return to work safely. She also runs hygiene courses for hospital staff. She told my wife she used a UV light to demonstrate the importance of porper hand washing. She recently gave a course to a group of nurses, several of whom had to be asked to wash their hands three times or more to pass the UV light test.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brighterspark

Do journalists do basic research?? The headline

"Ireland left out as EU opens borders to 15 states including Australia, Canada and Japan"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/ireland-left-out-as-eu-opens-borders-to-15-states-including-australia-canada-and-japan-1.4292678?mode=amp&utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Obviously only seeing what fits with the current message - very poor standard of journalism!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Up to 14 of our recent cases are related to the Sligo cluster at the moment.

Then you add in the healthcare worker cases and you get a fair idea of the actual numbers from the recent daily stats taking away the cluster and healthcare workers. Its not high.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/up-to-14-members-of-the-same-iraqi-family-at-centre-of-covid-cluster-in-sligo-1008362.html

14 cases coming from one person traveling from abroad, when there was probably feck all traveling into Sligo for the past couple of months. What could things be like when travel starts up again on a grander scale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

cnocbui wrote: »
    Ok, if I'm an idiot, what are the health care workers without masks?

Easy.

Unless there's some clear reason for them not to wear it then they're idiots too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Arghus wrote: »
    Easy.

Unless there's some clear reason for them not to wear it then they're idiots too.

Yeah go to the nearest hospital and tell the doctors and nurses who are unmasked that they're idiots. But it's easier to play the snarky intellectual on the internet isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,997 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Utah will get it bad in time. Mormons are calling it a hoax.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yeah go to the nearest hospital and tell the doctors and nurses who are unmasked that they're idiots. But it's easier to play the snarky intellectual on the internet isn't it?
    To be fair, every single person in a hospital rn should be wearing a mask.

It wouldn't be an easy thing to do, but it wouldn't mean that I'm wrong.

Or do you agree that doctors and nurses shouldn't wear masks in hospitals at the moment?

You obviously want to take me down a peg, or something, but you are trying to do this by arguing in favour of something that's clearly foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

To be fair, every single person in a hospital rn should be wearing a mask.

But we don't except if you are in close contact with a patient. Haven't had a +case among staff or patients for 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,997 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If USA have done 32m tests , then they've tested 10% of the population

But we don't except if you are in close contact with a patient. Haven't had a +case among staff or patients for 8 weeks.
    And yet 16 of 35 cases Thursday-Saturday were healthcare workers.

Or do you agree that doctors and nurses shouldn't wear masks in hospitals at the moment?

You obviously want to take me down a peg, or something, but you are trying to do this by arguing in favour of something that's clearly foolish.

You can say they should wear masks without calling them idiots. It really isn't that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Excellent idea this, a few more cities and towns would do well to adopt it

https://lovin.ie/amp/cork/outdoor-seating-huge-success-in-cork-as-pubs-and-restaurants-reopen

And this is why places like Italy or doing so well having relaxed lockdown - its when we all move back inside again that we need to be careful (same is true in FL now as summer time means indoors + aircon).

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭tiegan

Apologies if this was asked before but is there a covid briefing today?

You can say they should wear masks without calling them idiots. It really isn't that difficult.

Well, look, maybe they're not out and out idiots but certainly their behaviour is idiotic. Would you not agree?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tiegan wrote: »
    Apologies if this was asked before but is there a covid briefing today?

No briefings are Mondays and Thursdays now.

There'll be a press release about

Well, look, maybe they're not out and out idiots but certainly their behaviour is idiotic. Would you not agree?

Alright then go down to the hospital and tell the staff how to do their jobs Dr. House.

Alright then go down to the hospital and tell the staff how to do their jobs Dr. House.

So you think it's wrong to say that doctors and nurses working in hospitals should wear masks/facial coverings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

If USA have done 32m tests , then they've tested 10% of the population

or tested 5% of the population twice, or...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

fr336 wrote: »
    Perfectly safe lol... The only difference between UK supermarkets and Irish supermarkets is that Ireland's cases in general are falling off a cliff. That doesn't make supermarkets perfectly safe, it makes Ireland safe. The story from Leicester undermines the argument that supermarkets are perfectly safe if an area is experiencing community spread.

We had community spread here and our supermarkets were perfectly safe. Customers gave each other space and the staff kept things running well. Credit where it is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Italy still keeping cases relatively low since reopening.

Total infected(ex Feb 21): 240,578
    new cases: +142
    W/virus 15,563
    (-933 past 24 hrs)
    Cured 190,248 (+1,052 past 24 hrs)
    Total dead 34,767 (+26 past 24 hrs )
    ICU 93 (-3)
    Source: Civil Protection Agency

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

polesheep wrote: »
    We had community spread here and our supermarkets were perfectly safe. Customers gave each other space and the staff kept things running well. Credit where it is due.

You travelled to every supermarket in the country? Customers gave each other space here too at the height of the lockdown but things have gone rapidly downhill - well actually it's back to normal now. No social distancing whatsoever. If Ireland does have an uptick in cases I'll be interested to see how people are second time around.

I wonder if certain healthcare workers are exposed more than others. My wife is a nurse in a major hospital and none of her colleagues have tested positive. Mind you, they are only tested if they are unwell. As always, the devil is in the detail, which we never get.

I'm hearing the same thing. We need more detail on these healthcare cases. Perhaps it's not even the hospitals that are the problem. Healthcare covers a multitude.

fr336 wrote: »
    You travelled to every supermarket in the country? Customers gave each other space here too at the height of the lockdown but things have gone rapidly downhill - well actually it's back to normal now. No social distancing whatsoever. If Ireland does have an uptick in cases I'll be interested to see how people are second time around.

Why do you insist on relating the UK's problems to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Viral load no?
    They are exposed to more of the virus for a longer duration of the time than your average joe.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Viral load no?
    They are exposed to more of the virus for a longer duration of the time than your average joe.

Not necessarily and certainly not now with so few cases in hospital. Unless, of course, all of the healthcare cases were attributed to staff working directly with Covid patients, which i don't think is the case. Although who knows, as we aren't being given any details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Nah he’s not. That’s just his tone. Hes always like that on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement