Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I'm sure they must've at least traced the plane's passengers

You'd assume so but 25% of people tell the contact tracers to take a jump. Quarantine is the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

but 25% of people tell the contact tracers to take a jump.

Wasn't aware of this, you have evidence to back up your claim?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    From reading that article, the driver caught it from them by just breathing the same air as them in the car. Despite no one in the car showing symptoms

A mental, cunning bástard of a virus

Maybe one of them coughed on him or sneezed that be more possible if it was airborne the 2m thing be ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Confined space, it's common knowledge at this stage how risky that is.

Yes taxi drivers the top occupation for Covid deaths in many countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Confined space, it's common knowledge at this stage how risky that is.

Cars are probably worse than aircraft in this regard, aircraft have air filters which recycle air flow every 4 minutes apparently.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »

Interesting peer review study basically saying news channels are a steaming pile of useless sh*t for information on COVID. Also clarifying that most of the stuff on YouTube is equally bollox unless it’s from a physician, who are the most reliable and informative group to watch.

Medcram, that I’ve been watching for months , Is right there near the top. Just thought I’d post this here for anybody looking for reliable information without the drama.

Also thought I’d share this interesting video from Dr John who I have equally been following and who has been a superb source of information. In short a study in Barcelona (not peer reviewed yet) suggests the virus might of been in spain as early as March 2019. Frozen stool samples from the sewer had small amounts of COVID.

I don’t understand how it could of been around for a year before it was found but maybe a lot of people were misdiagnosed when they died or lots of asymptotic or maybe it wasn’t initially as bad? I don’t know, anyway Dr John always tells you links that you can research yourself.

Yes.

It's important to know that there were no positive results on testing samples of the sewage from Barcelona taken after March 2019, until January 2020.

This suggests that either:

(a) Coronavirus was present in Barcelona in March 2020 to a sufficiently high degree to show up in the sewage, but then disappeared/reduced without any control measures being taken, only to re-appear in January 2020.

(b) There was an issue with the test, or contamination of the sample from March 2019.

Apparently, the sample from March 2019 tested positive for one out of three genes tested for, and at an advanced stage of amplification.

https://theconversation.com/was-coronavirus-really-in-europe-in-march-2019-141582

"Retired Nurse Teacher and A & E Nurse" (by his own description) Dr John is to be taken with a truck load of salt if he did not direct you to this information because it is easy to find.

edit: it appears he did not think to query what the samples from April 2019 - December 2019 showed. I could not take him seriously as a commentator if he is willing to hang this interesting hook out there (that coronavirus was in Europe in early 2019) without conducting some basic and elementary research regarding its merits. Either he's wilfully ignoring this, because he wants to build interest in his channel, or he's a well intentioned soul who's about as useful as some guy in work who likes talking about what he's just read on the internet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

polesheep wrote: »
    14 members of the Iraqi family have tested positive but none have symptoms. It's in the Examiner article that Stephen linked.
    Why were any of them tested if they're all asymptomatic?

Wasn't aware of this, you have evidence to back up your claim?

I did a few days ago when I read it but can't remember where that was, it's worse than that as I didn't mention people who don't answer etc, it's a flawed system.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Call me Al wrote: »
    Why were any of them tested if they're all asymptomatic?

Child in the group was taken to hospital with issues resulting in the testing of the rest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

11 new cases today, were all these in Sligo as someone predicted?

• Advertisement

I did a few days ago when I read it but can't remember where that was, it's worse than that as I didn't mention people who don't answer etc, it's a flawed system.

So unless you can provide a source your 25% claim is baseless tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

11 new cases today, were all these in Sligo as someone predicted?
    10 of 24 yesterday in Sligo, yes.

So unless you can provide a source your 25% claim is baseless tbh.

Couldn't care less if you believe me or not, the data is out there somewhere I didn't make it up. I think it's about 60% successful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

In my local supermarket today which had its indoor eating area open for the second day since the restrictions were lifted. They have a one way entry and exit system in place and I spent some time there monitoring that people were obeying the measures, I am happy to say that there were no violations, distancing measures were in place, tables were sanitised after people left, staff wearing proper PPE equipment etc. Long may it continue this way.

Couldn't care less if you believe me or not, the data is out there somewhere I didn't make it up. I think it's about 60% successful.

I asked you for evidence, it's quite clear I don't believe you. The fact you are unable to back up your claim justifies my disbelief.

I asked you for evidence, it's quite clear I don't believe you. The fact you are unable to back up your claim justifies my disbelief.

I don't bookmark everything I read, would be a nice for a change to see the doubters back up their claim it's fake news.

You think it's above 75% compliance, can you back up your assumptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

In my local supermarket today which had its indoor eating area open for the second day since the restrictions were lifted. They have a one way entry and exit system in place and I spent some time there monitoring that people were obeying the measures, I am happy to say that there were no violations, distancing measures were in place, tables were sanitised after people left, staff wearing proper PPE equipment etc. Long may it continue this way.

At least your curtains at home got a break

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Sorry was the examiner

Other family members got themselves tested and it now transpires that up to 14 of them have tested positive.

They include the man’s brother, who had collected him at Dublin Airport, and their older brother and his sister-in-law.

They also include his own mother and an aunt.

Although everybody is “fine” and not showing any symptoms, the man's wife has been hospitalised “as a precaution”.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/up-to-14-members-of-the-same-iraqi-family-at-centre-of-covid-cluster-in-sligo-1008362.html

Go home to self isolate and have dinner with the parents the evening you get home.

So fcuked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

mean gene wrote: »
    Child in the group was taken to hospital with issues resulting in the testing of the rest

So they weren't all asymptomatic then...
    Since the child was taken to hospital and the medical staff felt that he or she needed to be tested for it.

I don't bookmark everything I read, would be a nice for a change to see the doubters back up their claim it's fake news.

You think it's above 75% compliance, can you back up your assumptions?

I made no claim or stated what I thought compliance levels were. As I said you can't back up your claim probably best you stop digging now. It's getting embarrassing for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Zonda999 wrote: »
    518360.PNG

Here is the distribution of the 24 cases with the latest county by county information in todays pressrelease, 10 are in Sligo, 11 between Dublin and Kildare.

1 new case in Leitrim?

Fúcking hell, that can't be travel related can it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Call me Al wrote: »
    So they weren't all asymptomatic then...
    Since the child was taken to hospital and the medical staff felt that he or she needed to be tested for it.

They're testing loads of people in hospitals whether they think they have it or not. My dad was in hospital a few months back and got tested 'just in case' even though they didn't suspect he had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

here is tpart of the problem re sligo situation

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html

If you read it it does not say if you collect someone from the airport or ferry that you yourself must isolate for 14 days aswell as the returnee.
    common sense people have been doing two things driving to the airport and dropping vehicle off for the person or driving two cars and giving one to the person arriving.
    It should also be made clear no stopping off on the way, no greeting relatives within 2meters anywhere until 14days gave passed.
    And to have had someone else stock up your
    house of basic food supplys before you arrive .

If we are to open up regarding travel we need information that is totally clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

fr336 wrote: »
    Not seen a lot of reports about transmission on flights in fairness.

Alot of these flights probably had greatly reduced numbers in recent months though. It might be different if you are on a crowded flight, especially on an budget airline.
    Anyway Micheál won't agree with Tony's view about travel abroad. He'll probably want to comission a report into the issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    At least your curtains at home got a break

You can post all the smart arse comments you like bud. I value my own and others health unlike some others. And guess what I will be continuing to do so.
    If that makes me a "curtain twitcher" a "scaremongerer" yada yada then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I suppose you were waiting rifle in hand ready to summarily execute any violators.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

speckle wrote: »
    here is tpart of the problem re sligo situation

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html

If you read it it does not say if you collect someone from the airport or ferry that you yourself must isolate for 14 days aswell as the returnee.
    common sense people have been doing two things driving to the airport and dropping vehicle off for the person or driving two cars and giving one to the person arriving.
    It should also be made clear no stopping off on the way, no greeting relatives within 2meters anywhere until 14days gave passed.
    And to have had someone else stock up your
    house of basic food supplys before you arrive .

If we are to open up regarding travel we need information that is totally clear.

You can make the rules as clear as you like but some people will still ignore them. Even in this case the person who flew in to the country went to his parent's house before self isolating. That obviously isn't self isolating but they did it anyway. So you could make the rules clear about traveling with people who should be self isolating and they will just be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

You can post all the smart arse comments you like. I value my own and others health unlike some others. And guess what I will be continuing to do so.
    If that makes me a "curtain twitcher" a "scaremongerer" yada yada then so be it.

So you were hanging around a public space for no reason, increasing the chance you or someone else would be exposed to the virus. Very irresponsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

A lot of people seem either too dumb or too selfish to bother following any reccomendations. One thing clear from this is a helluva lot of Irish people have major issues regarding any kind of responsibility or common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

pjohnson wrote: »
    A lot of people seem either too dumb or too selfish to bother following any reccomendations. One thing clear from this is a helluva lot of Irish people have major issues regarding any kind of responsibility or common sense.

That's a general point but not Covid-specific, given our tremendous numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement