Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Just a bit of a crazy notion. Does anybody know when you sign the form at the airport etc. and say you do not have your own pen. Do they give the passengers one each which are disposed of or sterilized afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

In my local supermarket today which had its indoor eating area open for the second day since the restrictions were lifted. They have a one way entry and exit system in place and I spent some time there monitoring that people were obeying the measures, I am happy to say that there were no violations, distancing measures were in place, tables were sanitised after people left, staff wearing proper PPE equipment etc. Long may it continue this way.

Jaysus i could have done with you today. This afternoon i went into a pub for work related. What i saw would have put shivers down your spine corky boy. It’s hilarious people on here giving out about travel when they really should look closer to home to see what’s goin on ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

polesheep wrote: »
    Yes, it does. If people are not picking up the virus in particular locations then those locations must surely be safe places. Or do you subscribe to the notion that the virus is waiting around every corner?

Great to hear we had no cases of ‘community transmission’. Or did we? And what does that even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

mean gene wrote: »
    Anyone in favour of restricting all travelling in from the North the airports and the ports for 2 months to go covid free. Make them isolate for real for 2 weeks. Was listening to some professor on today FM earlier who was saying this makes sense

How will that work? You would need buy in from the northern executive and frankly I don't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Would this be before or after they asked you to leave for standing outside the door for 20 minutes?

As it was a food place, why are you not presuming he was eating himself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

fr336 wrote: »
    As it was a food place, why are you not presuming he was eating himself?

He said he stood outside'observing' after concluding his business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

How will that work? You would need buy in from the northern executive and frankly I don't see that happening.

An all ireland callabaration is needed obviously it would benefit them too. I see the logic in it this won't go without it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Jaysus i could have done with you today. This afternoon i went into a pub today for work related. What i saw would have put shivers down your spine corky boy. It’s hilarious people on here giving out about travel when they really should look closer to home to see what’s goin on ;-)

OK bud, give me a shout next time you are going to the pub. I will check it out for myself (wearing all appropriate PPE gear naturally) and file a report. ;)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Jaysus i could have done with you today. This afternoon i went into a pub for work related. What i saw would have put shivers down your spine corky boy. It’s hilarious people on here giving out about travel when they really should look closer to home to see what’s goin on ;-)

Don't be scarmongerin' now, Micky!

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    He said he stood outside'observing' after concluding his business.

Fair enough :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Renjit wrote: »
    Just back from grocery shopping. Not many were wearing masks. I see more elderly wearing masks.

Same, was in the Main shopping center in Swords and only a very small percentage, 15-20% of people seemed to be wearing masks. The couple of shops I visited were strict on the number of admissions, issuing sanitizer etc, encouragement of distancing between clients... i was trying on trainers again and a family of 5 were just running a muck, kids bumping into me, playing chasing, had to be asked a couple of times by security and staff to get their shît together...

Parents need to parent, then I remembered, it’s 2020, in Ireland, it’s acceptable for parents to absolve themselves of responsibility and have their tearaways, tear away, then argue with the security and staff.. Annoying.

Fauci says the US could get to 100,000 cases per day if they don't turn things around fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Strumms wrote: »
    Same, was in the Main shopping center in Swords and only a very small percentage, 15-20% of people seemed to be wearing masks. The couple of shops I visited were strict on the number of admissions, issuing sanitizer etc, encouragement of distancing between clients... i was trying on trainers again and a family of 5 were just running a muck, kids bumping into me, playing chasing, had to be asked a couple of times by security and staff to get their shît together...

Parents need to parent, then I remembered, it’s 2020, in Ireland, it’s acceptable for parents to absolve themselves of responsibility and have their tearaways, tear away. Annoying.

Sure the parents probably had no idea what to do with the kids. Thats the creches job to raise them. You cant expect parents to parent can you?

Same, was in the Main shopping center in Swords and only a very small percentage, 15-20% of people seemed to be wearing masks. The couple of shops I visited were strict on the number of admissions, issuing sanitizer etc, encouragement of distancing between clients... i was trying on trainers again and a family of 5 were just running a muck, kids bumping into me, playing chasing, had to be asked a couple of times by security and staff to get their shtogether...

Parents need to parent, then I remembered, it’s 2020, in Ireland, it’s acceptable for parents to absolve themselves of responsibility and have their tearaways, tear away, then argue with the security and staff.. Annoying.

I find this ridiculous, Corona or no Corona. Shops are private property and workplaces as well as stores and the public should act responsibly or get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

fr336 wrote: »
    Fauci says the US could get to 100,000 cases per day if they don't turn things around fast.

probably already have that and more tbh given the CDC are saying that for every one verified case there's 10 undetected.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Sure the parents probably had no idea what to do with the kids. Thats the creches job to raise them. You cant expect parents to parent can you?

Not in 2020 and a fûcking serious pandemic on the loose, no !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not in 2020 and a fûcking serious pandemic on the loose, no !

Exactly. Its the governments fault they are running wild. They should be in the creche/school. Its not our fault honest!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Exactly. Its the governments fault they are running wild. They should be in the creche/school. Its not our fault honest!

Yes, the government can parent, the un-parented....

Anyway, that’s my rant over, anyone want to make my dinner, I’m lazy.

Yes, the government can parent, the un-parented....

Anyway, that’s my rant over, anyone want to make my dinner, I’m lazy.

Just order a takeaway but make sure you leave the food outside for a few days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    From reading that article, the driver caught it from them by just breathing the same air as them in the car. Despite no one in the car showing symptoms

A mental, cunning bástard of a virus

It's a long drive from Dublin airport though, 3 hours, plenty of talking - would be a weak virus that didn't spread in those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Genuine question, if cases are almost gone then why the obsession about wearing masks?

Should we not be saving more intrusive measures like masks for when we actually need to employ them i.e. when cases are starting to increase.

I fear that people will get fed up of wearing them by the time autumn comes around and a possible resurgence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Over the past 2 days I have learned of 7 businesses that are not going to open again. 2 pubs, 2 hairdressers, 1 newsagent, 1 clothes shop and 1 cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Genuine question, if cases are almost gone then why the obsession about wearing masks?

Should we not be saving more intrusive measures like masks for when we actually need to employ them i.e. when cases are starting to increase.

I fear that people will get fed up of wearing them by the time autumn comes around and a possible resurgence.

To mitigate risk. That is surely obvious. The threat of the virus is still here. The benefits of masks are backed up in studies and the negatives are that they are just inconvenient. The argument against masks have been very annoying and over complicated. Miss messaging by Holohan at the start did not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Over the past 2 days I have learned of 7 businesses that are not going to open again. 2 pubs, 2 hairdressers, 1 newsagent, 1 clothes shop and 1 cafe.

Why was the newsagent even closed in the first case?

Genuine question, if I'm not pregnant, then why the obsession with the pill?

Should we not be saving more intrusive measures like the pill for when we actually need to employ them i.e. when we're pregnant.

I fear that people will get fed up of taking them by the time they start having unprotected sex and there is a possibility of pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

wadacrack wrote: »
    To mitigate risk. That is surely obvious. The threat of the virus is still here. The benefits of masks are backed up in studies and the negatives are that they are just inconvenient. The argument against masks have been very annoying and over complicated. Miss messaging by Holohan at the start did not help.

Actually it's not as simple as you suggest, some people for several reasons cannot wear masks.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why was the newsagent even closed in the first case?

Maybe it was tiny and no way to social distance, plenty of those about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Genuine question, if I'm not pregnant, then why the obsession with the pill?

Should we not be saving more intrusive measures like the pill for when we actually need to employ them i.e. when we're pregnant.

I fear that people will get fed up of taking them by the time they start having unprotected sex and there is a possibility of pregnancy.

As far as analogies go, this one is pretty damn stupid.

Actually it's not as simple as you suggest, some people for several reasons cannot wear masks.

Which is fine. What about everyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

wadacrack wrote: »

Plus they also help stifle the spread of other respiratory bugs. That causes less GP referrals for testing, less sick people in general, easier to weed out the real hotspots from the usual noise.
    Wouldn"t it be nice to kick some of the endemic viruses to the kerb while we're at it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement