Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options
1327328329330331333»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Genuine question, if cases are almost gone then why the obsession about wearing masks?

Should we not be saving more intrusive measures like masks for when we actually need to employ them i.e. when cases are starting to increase.

I fear that people will get fed up of wearing them by the time autumn comes around and a possible resurgence.

No obsession.

‘Almost’ isnt enough. Wearing a mask, it’s a very very minor inconvenience that is saving lives, keeping people fit, healthy and well and preventing transmission of a potentially fatal virus... if we just down the masks now, we are potentially undoing the great work... so let’s remain disciplined, and diligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

fr336 wrote: »
    Which is fine. What about everyone else?

Personal choice prehaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A few tweets from the CMO regarding travel have been deleted and the dept of foreign affairs say they're still planning travel bridges.

Now the cynic in me might think someone in one of the departments might have had a word with him today.

A few tweets from the CMO regarding travel have been deleted and the dept of foreign affairs say they're still planning travel bridges.

Now the cynic in me might think someone in one of the departments might have had a word with him today.

Prehaps the government has decided it's no longer credible to hide behind Dr Holohans advice. Decisions have to be made that are not just medical based.

As far as analogies go, this one is pretty damn stupid.

It's meant to sound extremely stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Genuine question, if cases are almost gone then why the obsession about wearing masks?

Should we not be saving more intrusive measures like masks for when we actually need to employ them i.e. when cases are starting to increase.

I fear that people will get fed up of wearing them by the time autumn comes around and a possible resurgence.

Not really. The earlier people become accustomed to wearing them the better. It will mean less difficulty when the wearing of them is made compulsory in all public enclosed spaces (not just public transport) come the autumn or possibly before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Personal choice prehaps?

Just like vaccines :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Prehaps the government has decided it's no longer credible to hide behind Dr Holohans advice. Decisions have to be made that are not just medical based.

From the start they followed the public health advice and were very much on the same page. The announcement of the air bridges and subsequent comments from Dr Holohan about not travelling are confusing as we’re used to the united front. Dr Holohan is concerned with suppression of the virus full stop but he shouldn’t be making “rules” contrary to what the government says-
    it’s very misleading because we’re so used to what Dr T says goes. Whether the advice is is ok to travel, or no travel at all , there needs to be one simple clear communication about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Spencer Brown

Genuine question, if I'm not pregnant, then why the obsession with the pill?

Should we not be saving more intrusive measures like the pill for when we actually need to employ them i.e. when we're pregnant.

I fear that people will get fed up of taking them by the time they start having unprotected sex and there is a possibility of pregnancy.

LOL. To use your (woeful) analogy, wearing a mask now is like taking the pill when there's a miniscule chance you are getting the ride anytime soon.

Strumms wrote: »
    No obsession.

‘Almost’ isnt enough. Wearing a mask, it’s a very very minor inconvenience that is saving lives, keeping people fit, healthy and well and preventing transmission of a potentially fatal virus... if we just down the masks now, we are potentially undoing the great work... so let’s remain disciplined, and diligent.

Simon?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

fritzelly wrote: »
    Why was the newsagent even closed in the first case?

Small shop in Galway city centre. Nobody passing by during lockdown. Shop St was empty

Renjit wrote: »
    Just like vaccines :pac:

Not sure what's funny, but afaik vaccination is not mandatory. Personally I agree with vaccination but not everyone does . I do however remember refusing to allow my son the bird flu vaccination several years ago as I believed it was rushed. A recent high court case reinforced my belief I was the right choice at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Not sure what's funny, but afaik vaccination is not mandatory. Personally I agree with vaccination but not everyone does . I do however remember refusing to allow my son the bird flu vaccination several years ago as I believed it was rushed. A recent high court case reinforced my belief I .are the right choice at the time.

I am an anti vaxxer. Everything is funny to me :pac:

LOL. To use your (woeful) analogy, wearing a mask now is like taking the pill when there's a miniscule chance you are getting the ride anytime soon.

The point is that you're asking why we don't use a preventative measure until after what we're trying to prevent has happened. My (bad) analogy was saying it's like taking the pill when you're already pregnant.

I think a low point in figures is when they should be used. All the hard work followed up with a moderately inconvenient mask for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

On vaccines.. any more movement on them today? I saw the oxford one is in phase 3 now. Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Corner shop in Galway city centre. Nobody passing by during lockdown. Shop St was empty

O'Briens is open?

Beanybabog wrote: »
    From the start they followed the public health advice and were very much on the same page. The announcement of the air bridges and subsequent comments from Dr Holohan about not travelling are confusing as we’re used to the united front. Dr Holohan is concerned with suppression of the virus full stop but he shouldn’t be making “rules” contrary to what the government says-
    it’s very misleading because we’re so used to what Dr T says goes. Whether the advice is is ok to travel, or no travel at all , there needs to be one simple clear communication about it

Actually we are used to a care taker government completely deferring to Dr Holohan .

The point is that you're asking why we don't use a preventative measure until after what we're trying to prevent has happened. My (bad) analogy was saying it's like taking the pill when you're already pregnant.

I think a low point in figures is when they should be used. All the hard work followed up with a moderately inconvenient mask for a month or two.

And my point is, you can't get pregnant if you don't have sex.....

If cases are minimal to none then there's nobody to spread it, it's not like we can't deal with some cases, we're trying to avoid some cases becoming lots of cases. At the moment case numbers are so low in most parts of the country that wearing masks is an unnecessary inconvenience.

We're all human, it's understandable if people start to slip in compliance with measures. Even when we know something is good for us we generally struggle to keep it up. Why not save masks for when we actually need them (if that time comes)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Santy2015 wrote: »
    On vaccines.. any more movement on them today? I saw the oxford one is in phase 3 now. Any others?

One of the posters on the vaccines thread, hmm is the account name has a video up of ine of the Oxford professors being interviewed. He said that they may have one by September and ready to roll out by years end. If you want more info hmm and hmmzis I think is the other poster have that field of discussion off to a fine art. They have some great links there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

pjohnson wrote: »
    O'Briens is open?

The shop is not on Shop St, I am just saying the city centre was a ghost town.
    This shop is on Middle Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

In my local supermarket today which had its indoor eating area open for the second day since the restrictions were lifted. They have a one way entry and exit system in place and I spent some time there monitoring that people were obeying the measures, I am happy to say that there were no violations, distancing measures were in place, tables were sanitised after people left, staff wearing proper PPE equipment etc. Long may it continue this way.

We will have to start calling you the skibbereen eagle.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well this could be the last time
    This could be the last time
    Maybe the last time
    I don't know
    Oh no, oh no

Thread XIX

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement