Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

silverharp wrote: »

2020 summed up in one headline

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

We’re 11 weeks into this one and coming out the other side, and there hasn’t been looting, pillaging or Lidl-demolishing. If society is going to collapse because of this, they’d better hurry up.

I can see gangs of teenagers causing havoc where I live. I only went outside for 10 minutes and saw cops being called out because of them setting off alarms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Wasn't it drummed into the population since February to cough and sneeze into your elbow and not your hands if you don't have a tissue? The reason is to slow down the spread of virus from hands to surfaces. It makes sense.

How hard is this piece of information to follow? Seriously? Do some people need a special course module in this? Or a degree on how to cough and sneeze appropriately and washing your hands properly?

The population had to be taxed into behaving with plastic bags.
    The population had to be fined into wearing seat belts and putting their babies in car seats.
    The population had to be fined into picking up dog sh1t after themselves (for pet owners and their dogs).
    The population had to be fined into not littering.

Can the government start training the population into coughing and sneezing etiquette with fines and taxes.

(witnessed a local lady cough into her hands in the middle of the shop).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I can see gangs of teenagers causing havoc where I live. I only went outside for 10 minutes and saw cops being called out because of them setting off alarms.

Sounds alarming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Look, I know you are a bit nervous at the current time, and probably a lot more nervous than most. But you have no business accusing me of trolling or being stupid just because I view "shutting all places where crowds gather" as a form of lockdown as opposed to being "open".

They shut down schools, night clubs, theatres etc. Then they opened them back up. Now they're shutting them down again. This is re-shutting down of things is what you've been saying would be the worst thing for us to do here, but you're saying that we should copy them?
    They are not shutting down the economy. My whole point of a second lockdown being horrendous is the impact on the economy.
    You can still go to work in Korea, go to the shops. Everyone wears facemasks and they have quarantine.
    They just gave too much respect to the idiots in the population and realise now it was a mistake.
    We are still giving too much respect to the idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

owlbethere wrote: »
    Wasn't it drummed into the population since February to cough and sneeze into your elbow and not your hands if you don't have a tissue? The reason is to slow down the spread of virus from hands to surfaces. It makes sense.

How hard is this piece of information to follow? Seriously? Do some people need a special course module in this? Or a degree on how to cough and sneeze appropriately and washing your hands properly?

The population had to be fined into wearing seat belts and putting their babies in car seats.
    The population had to be fined into picking up dog sh1t after themselves (for pet owners and their dogs).

Can the government start training the population into coughing and sneezing etiquette with fines and taxes.

Serious question, is the handshake dead? will we have to introduce Japanese style bowing to end a business meeting now for example?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Serious question, is the handshake dead? will we have to introduce Japanese style bowing to end a business meeting now for example?
    For now yeah, but I'd go with the more stylised Elizabethan bows!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Not sure I’m reading this correct but nearly every single death in the past two weeks has been in Dublin.
    https://twitter.com/fergalbowers/status/1266364885132169216?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

bb1234567 wrote: »
    179 more cases in SK, mostly Seoul, all schools galleries museums theatres bars and nightclubs in the country have been closed

I believe the only places that have been closed are in the Seoul metropolitan area, not the entire country.

Not sure I’m reading this correct but nearly every single death in the past two weeks has been in Dublin.

My god, the guy can't take a screenshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Looks wrong

17 year old died

Says 0 under 24 died in screenshot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, there are a lot of major hospitals in Dublin. For example, St Vincents covers S Dublin, and Wicklow down as far as Arklow. I am sure it is the same sort of coverage for the other Dublin acute hospitals. Probably close on 40% of the population covered.

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Looks wrong

17 year old died

Says 0 under 24 died in screenshot

Reports at the time were that a 17 year old and a 26 year old died of Covid 19 in April

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/second-person-under-25-dies-18154003

Is it possible they were two of the denotified deaths?

Edit: Actually no - it seems the two dots (..) are significant. Am I right in thinking that they mean a number less than 5 but not zero? The totals don't add up otherwise.

Edit again: Yes, it says on the CSO website

'..' Indicates a cell number < 5 or a cell number < 5 can be identified

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcases/

Scroll down and click on "Show Table: Table 2 & Table 2A Weekly Profile of COVID-19 Confirmed Deaths 1,3"

I love this social distancing thing. If there's one thing annoying about living in a city designed for fewer people is the overcrowding. The train stations for example are not designed to handle the numbers of people using them, often an inch away from a stampede.

I also enjoy the UBI experiment I'm part of now (having worked full time since 18), you get paid for sitting on your ass - what can be more awesome than that? I'm doing industry certifications, working on Dreamcast games.

Hope this thing lasts for another few months, it's amazing.

I was preparing for a deep recession since 2017, this is the longest economic expansion ever. Corona or not, something would push it over the edge eventually, you can't keep printing money for corporations to buy up their stock with no economic activity. Boeing doesn't make planes that can fly because of this gauging of society by central banks. If stuff is to collapse, they might as well implement UBI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Another Aer Lingus flight just left Dublin for Beijing to collect PPE. I assume we have other orders coming by sea?

No because we need to subsidise the are Lingus on an ongoing basis that doesn't look like the German's way of subsidising Luftansa. i.e by directly giving them billions. O'Leary is right on that point.

Them the breaks when you don't write the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I witnessed a new way of greeting while driving through town and stopped at traffic lights. I observed 2 males greeting each other with elbow bumps lol

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How many people are currently infected in Ireland?

If the number of positive tests are in the order of 50 for the past week or so, and the R0 is of the order of 0.5, then working back how many people are tranmitting the virus? The 50 would indicate the 100 infected people gave them the virus, so after 14 days, then that would suggest that there are 1,400 infected people - in the whole country.

Now, more detailed statistical modelling is required, but that appears to be if they all got infected in the wild, instead of from known sources. I think, drilling down would suggest maybe 100 cases exist in the wild if that - out of a population of nearly 5 million.

If that is so, and the lock down continues, then some serious questions need to be asked and answered.

If the areas outside Dublin are released from restrictions, and Dublin continues with the 2 metre rule, and the other measures, then it cannot cause a huge rise in cases because there are few if any infected people there.

Is this wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

bb1234567 wrote: »
    179 more cases in SK, mostly Seoul, all schools galleries museums theatres bars and nightclubs in the country have been closed

False. I had to post this in another thread with inaccuracies around this story.
    They closed them in the Seoul metropolitan area only, after they had 79 new cases in a day in a country of 51 million - hardly the definition of a second wave now is it?

And they didn't close restaurants either, just museums, parks, and art galleries

https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/28/coronavirus-restrictions-return-in-south-korea-after-new-spike-in-covid-19-cases

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/28/south-korea-faces-return-to-coronavirus-restrictions-after-spike-in-new-cases

So no, they haven't closed bars and restaurants, and no they haven't closed those other things in the whole country, just Seoul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Hmmzis wrote: »
    I read the study in detail. There are a few others from other places in the world with similar findings of blood samples from 2018 and 2019 having cross-reactive T cells.
    The immunity part is not a given fact, it's a hypothesis based on the specific proteins the T cells react to. It might have protective properties, but it might not. Someone would have to isolate, replicate those cells and then inject them in a monkey, and then do a SARS-cov-2 challenge.

This sounds like an amazing TV show. Think of it like. big brother or survivor. Only more deadly........but the potential prize is saving humanity. Has everything a good TV show should really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

owlbethere wrote: »

Unfortunately it is true. I haven's seen so many dogs poo for ages. It looks like dog owners, when not seen by others wouldn't care less about cleaning after their pets. There is a narrow place where I am going for a walk and you can hardly cross it, it is so spoilt!

mloc123 wrote: »
    Are the HSE still buying 100 additional ventilators a week... Like they said they would 2 months ago? We must have almost 1000 now... For the 30-40 people that need one.

They'll be handy for Covid 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I witnessed a new way of greeting while driving through town and stopped at traffic lights. I observed 2 males greeting each other with elbow bumps lol

Isn't it the most infected areas in a sneezing person? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

How many people are currently infected in Ireland?

If the number of positive tests are in the order of 50 for the past week or so, and the R0 is of the order of 0.5, then working back how many people are tranmitting the virus? The 50 would indicate the 100 infected people gave them the virus, so after 14 days, then that would suggest that there are 1,400 infected people - in the whole country.

Now, more detailed statistical modelling is required, but that appears to be if they all got infected in the wild, instead of from known sources. I think, drilling down would suggest maybe 100 cases exist in the wild if that - out of a population of nearly 5 million.

If that is so, and the lock down continues, then some serious questions need to be asked and answered.

If the areas outside Dublin are released from restrictions, and Dublin continues with the 2 metre rule, and the other measures, then it cannot cause a huge rise in cases because there are few if any infected people there.

Is this wrong?

My estimates are less than 1000 active cases

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

My estimates are less than 1000 active cases

Yup I'd go along with this factoring in the recovered percentage given on Tuesday along with the 14 day period for active cases and low case numbers, 1000 or less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Yup I'd go along with this factoring in the recovered percentage given on Tuesday along with the 14 day period for active cases and low case numbers, 1000 or less

Round them all up, stick them on an island and we're free from the virus.

Onto Covid-20!

So 6 people under the age of 45 have died due to Covid-19 in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Research paper on potentially why asthmatics aren't being infected/infected severly, as much as they thought they would be. And what may be learnt from that e.g. regarding medications etc

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12016-020-08797-3

Note: this NOT saying that asthmatics aren't getting infected and having a bad time if it . Precautions should be still implemented. Severe asthma last time I looked where on very high risk group re HSE.

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/asthma.html

Nb. Hse needs to get its digital act together. They have divided conditions/diseases in to very high risk(cocooners) and high risk. The high risk advice is the same for the general population!

And they need to define mild, moderate and severe asthma. (ask your doctor/ring asthma society)
    Because the link in the very high risk group for severe asthma leads you back just to... the 'what to do for high risk catorgory' which is the same for the general population. aarrrgh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement