Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVIII-25,473 in ROI(1,736 deaths) 5,760 in NI (551 deaths)(30/06)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    At least it shows some respect. What did "Another wonderful contribution" add to the thread?

Showed some respect? Come on. RIP goes without saying, there's no need to repeat it ad nauseam . How many other people died in the last 24 hrs from non covid causes.
    RIP to them too. There's no need to post it daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

screamer wrote: »
    We hope. It takes one case and a bit of complacency and we’re back to where we started in March. I hope people have learned but I see some prize flutes every day who’ve learned nothing.

yup but you would hope by then it would more likely take a factory/office floor or pub run by prizes flutes, or a rogue parish priest to cause a significant outbreak and not the anecdotal rule bending we ve seen by groups of family or friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes RIP

Again I don't see what the issue with RIP the daily deceased, showing respect and sympathy (this is not meant as a dig at branie2)

Each to their own and i'm not criticising people for it but I find the whole RIP thing lazy and insincere personally.

When someone can't even be bothered to take the time to write 'Rest in Peace' that doesn't seem very sincere to me.

But like I say each to their own. That's why I personally never use it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

We hope. It takes one case and a bit of complacency and we’re back to where we started in March. I hope people have learned but I see some prize flutes every day who’ve learned nothing.

I'm definitely seeing more people out and no distancing between them.

Seen a huge group of teenage girls yesterday and no distancing between them. They all go home then and pass on infection.

I don't understand how people find this difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't expect everything to open at once, I sincerely doubt anyone does. The timeframe of the lifting of all restrictions is ridiculous.
    This is from page 5 of the full 3 page document. It's at the bottom of this link.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/e5e599-government-publishes-roadmap-to-ease-covid-19-restrictions-and-reope/
    Recommendations to action a measure under one phase does not mean that all other measures in the same phase under that heading will necessarily be recommended for activation. The framework is intended to be applied flexibly, so that it would be open to the NPHET, at any point in time, to recommend measures from later phases depending on the prevailing circumstances.

And from the same page
    This framework also acknowledges that there are other important considerations regarding the reduction of measures that Government will have, such as social and economic considerations, adherence, public sentiment, acceptability, feasibility, overall population health & wellbeing and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,255 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Rip to everyone who ever died since the dawn of time and to those who will die in the future. That should just about cover it.:rolleyes:

Why are you fretting over RIP and being rude

A second wave, if it happens will be much slower. Most People will be far more careful for one, not to mention all the measures in place, the lack of mass gatherings and the test and trace capacity we did not have in March will all restrict the spread

I'd like to see mandatory mask wearing but that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Seen a huge group of teenage girls yesterday and no distancing between them. They all go home then and pass on infection.

WHAT infection?

Jesus... people think it is lurking in the bushes, ready to strike... 39 cases today, you need to bump into about 125,000 people today to find one infected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

That's just sneering and quite insulting. Seriously, show some respect.
    Absolute nonsense. I have as much if not more respect for the dead than anyone else. Nothing to do with that. has anyone ever suggested that these unfortunate victims of this horrible virus shouldn't rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Showed some respect? Come on. RIP goes without saying, there's no need to repeat it ad nauseam . How many other people died in the last 24 hrs from non covid causes.
    RIP to them too. There's no need to post it daily.

It's just a gesture. It's harmless and it does display some tiny bit of empathy. The fact that you're so bothered by it is absurd and you seem to be going out of your way to be bothered by it.

Someone giving out about people posting RIP is so boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

This 100%. I witnessed a local woman cough into her hands during the week. She was in the shop. She then went about pawing items on the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yet again you're just not getting it. The three week phases are designed to catch any upsurge and it takes that tine to Surface. The figures are where they are because of the managed restrictions.

International experience contradicts your claim.

mloc123 wrote: »
    WHAT infection?

Jesus... people think it is lurking in the bushes, ready to strike... 39 cases today, you need to bump into about 125,000 people today to find one infected

Doesnt have to be, with no control the disease had an R0 of 3 to 4, things escalated fast didnt it?

You do know it takes contact with someone who are infected to pass it on? The fact of a group of people meeting outdoors is not at all dangerous. are so few cases at the moment that it will be a slow steady growth, if any at all with the easing, as there is a low likelihood of actually encountering someone with it is extremely low, and the risk of catching it outside is a well ventilated environment is thought to be very low, even with contact with a case.

International experience contradicts your claim.

I would understand why they would want to see how this pans out in Ireland first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Arghus wrote: »
    To take exception to someone remarking RIP is very, very weird.

Nout wrong with it.. Just cringy seeing as it's a forum with faceless usernames.
    Good news on the numbers.

Out of curiosity, is there a need for the extra pee flights operating to China given hospital numbers are low?

Do you honestly believe that they'll stick to that time frame if case numbers continue to dwindle?

The behaviour to-date suggests they will continue the roadmap nonsense, although I will be quite happy to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Jesus, my god, are we actually in agreement for once.

Lol!

lbj666 wrote: »
    I would understand why they would want to see how this pans out in Ireland first.

Why what makes the Irish unique? Did we experience a different strain of Covid 19 than the rest of Europe and the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Were they in a nursing home or a meat processing plant? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    WHAT infection?

39 cases today
    46 cases yesterday
    73 cases the day before

With up to two week incubation period without showing symptoms... These people can still pass it on to people they come in contact with before showing symptoms.

Doesnt have to be, with no control the disease had an R0 of 3 to 4, things escalated fast didnt it?

And yet gangs of teenagers have been out in force for at least 2 weeks now... and we are still waiting for this "second wave"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's not really the same at all. We know so much more and finally have a robust testing system. It would be like South Korea where any new cases would be swarmed and locked down. We may have to live with it but it doesn't mean that the risk of it is absolutely everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The behaviour to-date suggests they will continue the roadmap nonsense, although I will be quite happy to be proved wrong.

I have no literally no doubt that things will be bumped up considerably in speed as we go on. Provided, of course, that case numbers dwindle.

The pressure from all sides will become incredible. And plus the state doesn't want to have keep paying billions of euro out with fck all tax revenue coming in for any longer than it has too.

You can 100% take it to the bank that if things continue as they are these phases will be lifted well before August 10th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Speak Now

39 cases today
    46 cases yesterday
    73 cases the day before

With up to two week incubation period without showing symptoms... These people can still pass it on to people they come in contact with before showing symptoms.

Can you spot the pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The quoted initial R0 of 3 to 4 is a fiction. You could only know the initial R0 if you knew how many people were infected originally i.e. how many people came into Ireland from Italy etc with the infection. You can guess at that number, but the calculation of R0 is hugely dependent on your guess. They are quoting a number of 3 to 4 to scare people.

Note that estimates of the current reproductive rate are much more reliable, because we have good data on current infection rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

39 cases today
    46 cases yesterday
    73 cases the day before

You really can't take the positive in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

39 cases today
    46 cases yesterday
    73 cases the day before

You really have to look at the case numbers and the settings they're occurring in, read past the headline.

Cant stand the judgemental attitude now that people have developed, oh look 3 people together outdoors, what business is it of yours really?? Its happening everywhere and has been for the last few weeks, cases still declining.

Honestly you'd swear its going to jump out of the bushes and infect someone. You'd think every person out there is infected. Paranoia

39 cases today
    46 cases yesterday
    73 cases the day before

And somehow.... they don't appear to be based on the test numbers. Crazy...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Hard to avoid the feeling that there is a large amount of people out there sitting comfortable, don't have to go to work, few friends over to the garden each evening, do a bit of baking, watch netflix.

Happy to keep things as they are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement