Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What accounts?

• 29-05-2020 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if this is the proper place for this question, but is there a way to find all bank accounts I'm named on.
    Some cheques, in my name , have been cashed.
    No record has shown up in our joint account, but since this person has all my details stored on a pc she may have opened another joint account I don't know about.
    Is there a way to find out what accounts I have?
    I've already did a credit score check but that didn't help.
    If this is the wrong forum , mods move it
    Cheers cj maxx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In the last 10 to 15 years AML legislation would have made it next to impossible to open an account without proper verified photo and address verification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,573 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How do you know that cheques in your name have been cashed?

Who is the "this person" to whom you refer and what role do they play in the events?

What information do you have about the cheques - how much were they for, who were they payable to, what did the payment relate to, and what bank were the cheques drawn on?

It;s not that I disbelieve you - not at all. It's just that if you want useful advice on an unusual situation like this you need to provide all the relevant information that you have, and not just little bits of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Peregrinus wrote: »
    How do you know that cheques in your name have been cashed?

Who is the "this person" to whom you refer and what role do they play in the events?

What information do you have about the cheques - how much were they for, who were they payable to, what did the payment relate to, and what bank were the cheques drawn on?

It;s not that I disbelieve you - not at all. It's just that if you want useful advice on an unusual situation like this you need to provide all the relevant information that you have, and not just little bits of it.
    This person is my so-called wife. Who has taken every detail, ppsn ,bank statements and letters, etc and scanned them to her PC over the 10 years. She took letters posted to me and used the details to register for online credit union banking etc unbeknown to me att.
    She also had access to my email for a period a few years ago ,my stupidity.
    I'm also aware that she's lodged cheques made out to me to a joint account and withdrawn the money years ago.
    I can't just close the joint account yet as I'll be seeking legal advice.
    I'm particularly interested in a €45 cheque the arrived for me a few weeks ago.
    I didn't pay much attention opening the letter only to see it was a remittance cheque for me, I'm trying to chase it down.
    VHI is the only people I can think off and they haven't had a claim on the policy I have details for ,even though I forwarded invoices to her to make a claim for a minor accident.
    It's a fooked up situation more apt for the PI forum .
    She has every detail needed to open accounts in my / our names, either by post or email.
    So, that's why I need to know if there's a way to find out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

cj maxx wrote: »
    She has every detail needed to open accounts in my / our names, either by post or email.

These days there is very little chance she can open accounts online or in person in your name or joint name because of all the money laundering checks and balances being applied.

The best she could probably do is open a new account at a bank where you both bank. So I'd suggest you start by talking to the manager at the banks you currently use or have used in the past. They should be able to provide you with details of all accounts they have in your name and your joint name. And while you are at it, make it clear to the manager that she does not have the right to open accounts in your name together with the related statements. Follow that up with a letter confirming this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Apply to the Central Bank for a credit report this should show up all current accounts, credit card accounts, loan accounts for balances over €500 either in your single or joint names.

• Advertisement

Trish56 wrote: »
    Apply to the Central Bank for a credit report this should show up all current accounts, credit card accounts, loan accounts for balances over €500 either in your single or joint names.

How do I do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

How do I do that?

http://www.icb.ie/ might be a place to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

ICB or CCR don't current accounts. As mentioned above, CCR will show overdrafts which are €500 or more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

This person is my so-called wife. Who has taken every detail, ppsn ,bank statements and letters, etc and scanned them to her PC over the 10 years. She took letters posted to me and used the details to register for online credit union banking etc unbeknown to me att.
    She also had access to my email for a period a few years ago ,my stupidity.
    I'm also aware that she's lodged cheques made out to me to a joint account and withdrawn the money years ago.
    I can't just close the joint account yet as I'll be seeking legal advice.
    I didn't pay much attention opening the letter only to see it was a remittance cheque for me, I'm trying to chase it down.
    VHI is the only people I can think off and they haven't had a claim on the policy I have details for ,even though I forwarded invoices to her to make a claim for a minor accident.
    It's a fooked up situation more apt for the PI forum .

€45, best call the FBI so!!

€45, best call the FBI so!!

Oh there has been more.
    The FBI got Capone for mail fraud not the murders he did.
    Still got him off the streets

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    These days there is very little chance she can open accounts online or in person in your name or joint name because of all the money laundering checks and balances being applied.

If she has copies of his passport and access to proof of address and his ppsn I don’t see there being much difficulty in opening an account tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If she has copies of his passport and access to proof of address and his ppsn I don’t see there being much difficulty in opening an account tbh.

Have you actually tried to do such a thing? A bank is required to satisfy themselves as to the actual identity of the account holder, failure to do so would absolve him from any liability for any debts incurred and would leave his wife open to being charged with fraud, if the bank involved decided to take it that far although I very much doubt they would.

As I said originally, if this were to happen at all, then it would be with a bank where they both bank as the general T&C often cover this and the checking is likely to be fairly light.

I’d be fairly confident that if the OP visits all the financial institutions where he is known and requests lists of the accounts in his name and instructs them specifically that they have no authority to open new accounts he will have covered most of the bases.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Have you actually tried to do such a thing? .

Well I opened an account for myself a while back online and uploaded the necessary docs. I couldn’t see any way it would have prevented my opening an account for someone else if I had their proof of address, ppsn and photocopy of passport etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,573 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I didn't pay much attention opening the letter only to see it was a remittance cheque for me, I'm trying to chase it down . . .
    Has the cheque just gone missing, or do you have some further reason to think that it has been cashed?

It's a problem if you can't remember who sent you the cheque or why. Without that information, its very had to trace what happened to the cheque.

Hypothetical: If you did know that, e.g., the VHI had sent you a cheque for €45 you could write to the VHI, tell them that the cheque has gone missing and ask if they can reissue. If they then reply to you saying that the cheque has been paid , you can (a) ask them to check when it was paid and to what account, and (b) report the cheque to the guards as having been stolen and dishonestly negotiated. Between them, the guards and the VHI can identify the account into which it was paid. You can then approach the financial instititution that the account is with, say that you are the named accountholder but you believe that the account was opened dishonestly and without your knowledge or participation and is being operated fraudulently, and ask for copies of the account application. If someone has forged your signature you then have the option of taking the matter to the guards and reporting a forgery.

If the person who forged your signature is indeed your wife, the guards aren't that keen on prosecting spouses for non-violent offences against one another - they reckon differences between spouses are best handled in the family courts - but at least you'll have the information you want.

Advertisement