Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breonna Taylor; riots in Louisville KY

Options
  • 29-05-2020 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.wave3.com/2020/05/28/protesters-louisville-call-prosecution-lmpd-officers/

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/taylor-family-lawsuit-pdf-1589240098.pdf

Another recent travesty that has joined the protests and riots tonight. Don’t know how many Irish have already heard it.

Breonna Taylor was an EMT. She and her boyfriend were sound asleep when their door was kicked in by several intruders. The boyfriend was armed and fired at the intruders, who sprayed the bedroom, injuring him and killing her.

Now these intruders were no ordinary intruders. They were police officers serving a no-knock warrant that AFAIK didn’t involve them but an associate who police thought lived there because he receives mail there, and it was related to dealing drugs. But Breonna and her boyfriend have no record and aren’t otherwise connected to any criminal activity. NNWs allow the police to break and enter into a residence without announcing themselves as police officers, and uniforms are optional. You can appreciate the brilliance.

Wouldn’t you know it of course: the police charged the boyfriend with attempted murder on the spot. No killer of Breonna’s has been kicked off the force that I’m aware of, or had charges brought against them. The charges against the boyfriend are dropped now, I think.

It’s a frustrating case because Castle Doctrine is what Americans understand but these no knock raids put law enforcement in a situation of their own design that puts them and suspects into danger like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It does read like something you'd find in North Korea. Police just bursting down your door and taking you away, in a body bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sniper69

Im wondering where the 3 percenter types are. The current climate is what theyve been asking for, for years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Percenters

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/breonna-taylor-death-police-changes-trnd/index.html
    The FBI has opened an investigation

Taylor's boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, was arrested and charged with attempted murder of a police officer and first-degree assault. He was released for home incarceration and is scheduled to appear in court in late June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

The law enforcement and judicial systems in the US have nothing to do "serving and protecting" or seeing that justice is served. They are there to terrorise and oppress the populace.

These cops live their life in one big unending action movie or video game. They have no interest in serving the common man. Their attitude is "I have a gun and a badge and you will not only fear me but treat me with deference. If I decide that you don't sufficiently cower before me I will make you life hell or even end it."

Like football hooligans they get off on the adrenaline rush of inflicting violence on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The estimated amount of guns in private hands in the US is 393,347,000

More than there are people.

It's the wild west.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

None of the three officers who entered Taylor's apartment wore body cameras, the department said, since they were plainclothes narcotics officers.

So basically three unknown, unidentifiable strangers burst into someone's apartment in the middle of the night, and when the person living there tried to defend themselves someone was killed and he is being charged. Wonder where the support for the victims is from the NRA?

There is an endemic of no-knock warrants and swat raids in the US for minor drug offences. I don't envy their job with the proliferation of firearms but they seem to be going out of their way to escalate every situation as much as possible.

The estimated amount of guns in private hands in the US is 393,347,000

More than there are people.

It's the wild west.

It's a huge business for the country, isn't going to change no matter how many are killed.

Same country where some towns have laws requiring homeowners to have guns and Alabama have made sex toys illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Overheal wrote: »
    https://www.wave3.com/2020/05/28/protesters-louisville-call-prosecution-lmpd-officers/

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/taylor-family-lawsuit-pdf-1589240098.pdf

Another recent travesty that has joined the protests and riots tonight. Don’t know how many Irish have already heard it.

Breonna Taylor was an EMT. She and her boyfriend were sound asleep when their door was kicked in by several intruders. The boyfriend was armed and fired at the intruders, who sprayed the bedroom, injuring him and killing her.

Now these intruders were no ordinary intruders. They were police officers serving a no-knock warrant that AFAIK didn’t involve them but an associate who police thought lived there because he receives mail there, and it was related to dealing drugs. But Breonna and her boyfriend have no record and aren’t otherwise connected to any criminal activity. NNWs allow the police to break and enter into a residence without announcing themselves as police officers, and uniforms are optional. You can appreciate the brilliance.

Wouldn’t you know it of course: the police charged the boyfriend with attempted murder on the spot. No killer of Breonna’s has been kicked off the force that I’m aware of, or had charges brought against them. The charges against the boyfriend are dropped now, I think.

It’s a frustrating case because Castle Doctrine is what Americans understand but these no knock raids put law enforcement in a situation of their own design that puts them and suspects into danger like this.

You only seem concerned when the victims are black, I haven't seen any threads about the multitudes of whites gunned down by the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You only seem concerned when the victims are black, I haven't seen any threads about the multitudes of whites gunned down by the police.

So start one.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

So start one.

Why would I? I'm just pointing out that the sympathy and outrage only seems to go one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Why would I? I'm just pointing out that the sympathy and outrage only seems to go one way.

Of course you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I read about this soon after it happened, and its an epic clusterf*ck of a tragedy. Its different to what happened in Minnesota because this time it seems to be terrible communication systems and organisation that led to her death, quite similar to what happened to Jean Charles de Menezes in London after the July bombings. It'll be harder to find someone to charge here because it was more of a systems issue, but their systems, especially not announcing their arrival, have to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,483 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They’ve *finally* fired the killer cop that fired 10 rounds that night, ending Breonna’s life for the crime of being asleep in her own apartment.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/breaking-louisville-pd-fires-officer-who-shot-10-times-during-no-knock-raid-on-breonna-taylor-102-days-after-her-death/

In a letter to detective Brett Hankison, the police chief blasted the officer for the “extreme indifference to the value of human life when you wantonly and blindly fired 10 rounds” into Taylor’s apartment. Schroeder noted that some of the rounds Hankison fired passed into the next apartment, endangering the lives of the three people inside.

It took them 102 days to drag their feet to come this far. He is yet to be charged by prosecutors.

Advertisement