Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Eir really as terrible as the reviews are saying?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Muppet co run by muppets

That is true .. but in my experience, the retail outlet is the worst of the bunch. I unfortunately had the joy dealing with them getting a phoneline installed in January ... 3 account number, 7 orders, 2 months and half my life lost later, it worked, but the billing still isn't right.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭corks finest

Mav11 wrote: »
    The infrastructure is not the issue. Eir, Vodafone and Sky all use the same wires. Its Eir's appalling level of customer service that is the issue.

You got it in 1,, appalling ggg

They are infuriating,inept and lie and overcharge , drip calls and don't care, avoid dddddddd

Oh .. and never return your call. Even if they say, they will.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    That is true .. but in my experience, the retail outlet is the worst of the bunch. I unfortunately had the joy dealing with them getting a phoneline installed in January ... 3 account number, 7 orders, 2 months and half my life lost later, it worked, but the billing still isn't right.

/M[. In all honesty how is this crowd allowed to continue?
    I'd be sacked within a week if I was so shoddy uncaring,and not up to the task,line management heads need to roll big-time

Genuinely wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.
    I'm with them. Good luck speaking to anyone if there are problems, took us nearly a month to get signed up and someone out to install.
    When I eventually got them on live chat, in India possibly they had no record of my installation that was suppose to happen the previous week. So they never turned up basically.
    The WiFi speed is shocking most days, not all. But so much so that we just use the Vodafone phone data.
    The TV channels are crap, lots of channels that used to be there have magically disappeared.
    I've just this week (when we had no speed with eir WiFi for 3 days straight) applied for Vodafone broadband through a switcher so waiting to hear from them to finally be set free.

• Advertisement

In all honesty how is this crowd allowed to continue?
    I'd be sacked within a week if I was so shoddy uncaring,and not up to the task,line management heads need to roll big-time

Cause there is plebs out there, that still think they're the only show in town.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 LaAlgerie

The last KN guy who came out to me knew the provider. So I bet that's a gentleman's agreement of morales that few of them if any abide by. My experience: Eir: contract messed up, check it's correct, customer service just fine VF: contract fine, customer services a joke Really not sure how to dodge this crap. None of my other service providers give me headaches like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Eir are terrible if you need to contact them for anything at all. The only time they will answer the phone quickly is if you are trying to leave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

almost decade back when it was still eircom you could go for weeks without BB, and 0 fcks given, phone line charge prob cost me grand, and horrors seeing BB delivered via almost 50yrs old copper crumbled hair thin wires, VF isnt greatest at their support but know someone who uses siro fiber of em and no issues for couple years straight.

getting BB over phone lines when wires could be decades old in some houses with speeds of 10-20 mbs in this day and age should be a crime.

That said even Likes of Virgin are constant battle, look at switching threads on em and its like a bazzar every year to keep price below a grand for BB service alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dreadful provider. As recently as last week. Friend has a new house and organised Siro installation or w/e it's called. Waiting two weeks. Engineer is a no show.Rings them up who say he'll be coming following day. No show. He's busy with the fact he has a new house so organising other work and bits and pieces.

Rings a week later to them saying that engineer arrived, he wasn't there and they cancelled his setup entirely....speaks with a manager who says he just needs to sign up again, and needs to wait another two weeks.

The fact it's the same issues and stories for nearly twenty years says it all. I'd never go near them again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

So you're looking for reviews to verify the reviews you read?
    They're terrible, people aren't just posting their horror stories for the craic, and of they are, they'll be along here to put give you the same 'false feedback' shortly.

The only chance at good service seems to be if you are able to get fibre.

And in all cases, their customer support is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

With eir it's pretty much like this in my experience...

- Products are competitively priced, offer good value and USUALLY don't go wrong from a technical perspective
    - However, their billing and back-office support operations are terrible. Customer service is non-existent and you'll spend hours chasing and being transfered around if something does go wrong
    - Simple stand-alone orders (like BB only) are ok, but bundle it with mobile and TV and you're asking for billing problems
    - When things go wrong, Comreg can usualy cut through the mess but you'll still have to deal with the attempt to log it before they will. Note also that Comreg have no power to enforce a solution, but they can get you someone in an escalation team who weill sort it.

So you have to weigh it up.. if you only want a single product and are in a good coverage area (for mobile or fibre) for a decent price you'll probably be OK. If it goes wrong, prepare for hours of your life to be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Service can be fine. For others it can be useless. What they are consistent in is terrible customer care. You will lose the will to live if you need to contact them for anything.

I've spent 7 months trying to rectify a billing mistake they made and I'm still not sure if it's fully resolved. Have to wait and see what next month's bill is and I'm not holding my breath that they managed to fix it. No other company has so many incompetent staff. How they are still in business I don't know. This is the first time I've been with them and it'll be the last.

Yes, yes they are. I have had bad customer service from companies and then I have had eir customer service.

The biggest issue is that you will encounter the same incorrect and plain stupid mistakes and opinions no matter who you deal with at asking for a supervisor or calling back doesn't change anything.

3 years, a debt collection agency and a formal complaint to conreg it took for them to accept they were wrong on my case despite well over a hundred letters, calls and emails explaining in detail why they were incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

My son has moved house told them in advance about the move as of today no response from Eir as to when they will install his broaband surely it cant be that difficult to do that seeing the new house has a land line allready installed .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Had eir ftth 2 years. Fault on outside cable and they were out in 24 hours to fix it.

No problems with them

DopeTech wrote: »
    Service can be fine. For others it can be useless. What they are consistent in is terrible customer care. You will lose the will to live if you need to contact them for anything.

I've spent 7 months trying to rectify a billing mistake they made and I'm still not sure if it's fully resolved. Have to wait and see what next month's bill is and I'm not holding my breath that they managed to fix it. No other company has so many incompetent staff. How they are still in business I don't know. This is the first time I've been with them and it'll be the last.

Even reading these reviews etc about their crap customer care service makes me wonder as we really thick to put up with eir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Agree with posters here. I was duped into the low price offer for eir and signed up for everything, tv, BB, multiple mobile and Home phone.

Nothing wrong with the service generally, except the dire TV system... but hey maybe I prefer streaming.

The problem with eir begins with the mysterious ever increasing bill... it slowly creeps up month after month. Its small at first and u barely notice but eventually when u finally get annoyed at the unexplained increases and monthly small mistakes........ that is when the trouble starts.

There is zero customer service. Don't even try. Its a waste of your time calling and calling and waiting for help. Just leave. Transfer to any other provider. Quit. They will send you emails to say "we have tried to contact you" . They never will contact you.

I am convinced that Eir has fired all its human staff years ago and is entirely run by a bot and automation only.

I am 3 months enjoying new service elsewhere while they continue to send final demands and threaten cutoff. The hilarious part is that it all started with a 2 euro dispute that they were unable to fix for a complete lack of listening to customer issues. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Even reading these reviews etc about their crap customer care service makes me wonder as we really thick to put up with eir

I'm trying to figure out what exactly you mean...

Like, if you decide not to 'put up with Eir' what does that even mean?

Say you decide to NOT 'put up with Eir', what would your tele/datacomms landscape look like? For example, what infrastructural components would you be able to use to give you a 90 m/bps download capability if you have decided to not 'put up with Eir'?

Just asking, so we're all clear on what being 'thick' actually entails...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

They are worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭rodDaly69

As a previous mobile customer, jesus they are awful. The customer service line looks for your a/c number or phone number, it will never recognise either of these and you will be in an eternal loop.

No email address either. Twitter is all you have to make contact, if and when they feel like responding. I don't care how cheap they are. Never again.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what exactly you mean...

Like, if you decide not to 'put up with Eir' what does that even mean?

Say you decide to NOT 'put up with Eir', what would your tele/datacomms landscape look like? For example, what infrastructural components would you be able to use to give you a 90 m/bps download capability if you have decided to not 'put up with Eir'?

Just asking, so we're all clear on what being 'thick' actually entails...

Eir has nothing to do with the infrastructure. They are a sales channel. A retail provider.

You are thinking of OpenEir. Who own and operate the network.

Plenty of other providers/operators available using OpenEir.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

The crowd based in Galway are lovely. I suggest use them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The crowd based in Galway are lovely. I suggest use them

Airwire? I signed up with them yesterday,, id avoid eir at all costs.
    Service is good when working buy god forbid you ever have to contact customer care.

I had the major issues over the years, one took 7 weeks to resolve the other 3 months, both cases a dodgy card in local exchange.

Previous to that i had an even worse scenario that took personally contacting head of comms @ eircom via a friend to get it fixed, so expect an incredibly frustrating experience if problems arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Dcully wrote: »
    Airwire? I signed up with them yesterday,, id avoid eir at all costs.
    Service is good when working buy god forbid you ever have to contact customer care.

I had the major issues over the years, one took 7 weeks to resolve the other 3 months, both cases a dodgy card in local exchange.

Previous to that i had an even worse scenario that took personally contacting head of comms @ eircom via a friend to get it fixed, so expect an incredibly frustrating experience if problems arise.

Its a small operation and I didnt have perfect experience with their customer service but overall it was very good. I felt like I was talking to a human, who could give real explanations unlike Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Agree, customer service is a disgrace. Farcical wait times and quick chat is smart alec clowns with double meaning names, refusing to answer a straight question etc ...then telling you to ring another number. It's like an office with no one in charge or gives a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rn

Can only add my terrible experience with Eir to the stories put on here. I've had numerous problems over many years and their service is getting worse. I've recently signed up to their gomo service too. And I had trouble there too, impossible to get resolved despite including comreg.

I am with many other data communications providers at same time between home and businesses. Most are bad when it comes to customer care. Eir are way worse than that. I can comfortably say they set the standard, at the wrong end of the scale.

I feel sorry for people who work there because the must be on receiving end of a lot of customers ire.

Don't sign up to eir unless the deal is outstanding and you're prepared to walk away if there's problem (careful of 18-24 month contracts).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭josip

My God.

I've just gotten off the phone from 1901 and had to vent somewhere.
    Found this thread.
    I wanted to report a fault on a landline.
    Ended up on their auto answering merry go round.

Didn't have the account number when I called at 20:15 and so I entered the phone number.
    They found the account and asked if I wanted to store the account details for my mobile phone number so that they would automatically have them the next time I called. Agreed.
    "If you're calling to report a fault with landline, broadband or TV" press 1"
    I pressed 1.

"Enter the last 4 digits of your account number (the one I'd already indicated I didn't have), if you don't have it press #"
    Pressed #

"If you're not at your landline right now, we can't help you"
    (Huh? I was reporting a fault for my mother 150km away, in Level 5)

"If you've a problem with broadband, press 1, TV press 2"
    (What happened to "problem with landline", must have missed it. Waited for it to repeat)

(No, didn't miss it, they've just dropped it from the options)

(I'll wait, and on the 3rd go without pressing anything, it will go back up a level in the menu)

"Goodbye".
    :mad:

I called again and had the account number this time.
    Not surprisingly, my mobile phone number didn't trigger any super duper Eir auto account retrieval so I had to enter the account number.

Again asked if I wanted to store the account details for my mobile phone number so that they would automatically have them the next time I called. Agreed.
    I pressed 1.

"Enter the last 4 digits of your phone number

(Entered)

()

(I'd already decided I was going to go with the broadband option here, even though there isn't broadband on the line)

"Our call centre is closed, the hours are 8-8.
    (All that and they couldn't say at the start they were closed)

I am so happy all my own stuff is not with Eir. I hope they _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

josip wrote: »
    My God.

I've just gotten off the phone from 1901 and had to vent somewhere.
    Found this thread.
    I wanted to report a fault on a landline.
    Ended up on their auto answering merry go roun
    Didn't have the account number when I called at 20:15 and so I entered the phone number.
    They found the account and asked if I wanted to store the account details for my mobile phone number so that they would automatically have them the next time I called. Agreed.
    I pressed 1.

"Enter the last 4 digits of your account number (the one I'd already indicated I didn't have), if you don't have it press #"
    Pressed #

(Huh? I was reporting a fault for my mother 150km away, in Level 5)

(What happened to "problem with landline", must have missed it. Waited for it to repeat)

(No, didn't miss it, they've just dropped it from the options)

(I'll wait, and on the 3rd go without pressing anything, it will go back up a level in the menu)

"Goodbye".
    :mad:

I called again and had the account number this time.
    Not surprisingly, my mobile phone number didn't trigger any super duper Eir auto account retrieval so I had to enter the account number.

Again asked if I wanted to store the account details for my mobile phone number so that they would automatically have them the next time I called. Agreed.
    I pressed 1.

"Enter the last 4 digits of your phone number

(Entered)

()

(I'd already decided I was going to go with the broadband option here, even though there isn't broadband on the line)

"Our call centre is closed, the hours are 8-8.
    (All that and they couldn't say at the start they were closed)

I am so happy all my own stuff is not with Eir. I hope they _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Duffy's circus wouldn't employ those prick's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭The DayDream

The comments from Carolan Lennon Eir CEO tell you all you need to know about this company. She basically claimed people in Sligo were too thick to work in a call centre and that was why call wait times and customer service was brutal.

I worked in a call centre for a UK broadband and phone company back in 2006-08 which was located in the same business park Eir is in now. 15 years ago a call centre could be staffed properly in Sligo. If they can't staff one now when the average joe and mary are probably far more tech savvy, that's on Eir.

Of course, after the last centre laid everyone off and moved to the Philippines for cheaper wages maybe the citizens of Sligo aren't seeing being verbally abused day in day out as an appealing option, when the wages are crap and you'll probably be out of a job once the company can find cheap overseas staff.

The wait times are long because companies constantly understaff to pinch pennies. They make so many mistakes because they know only 1 of every 5 people will read and question their bills. They keep you waiting as long as legally possible and make the menus so annoying so they have to pay as little humans as possible and also so you'll give up. It's all by design.

I can't imagine how the staff felt hearing the CEO say those things, they're already positioned as punching bag for angry customers and then the CEO doesn't even hide her disdain for the lowly paid people she uses to insulate management and herself from customers.

I would never ever use Eir.

Advertisement