Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD 3600 with B450 mobo

Options
  • 29-05-2020 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭

After much research, I decided my needs would be satisfied with 3600 and then went looking for a mobo.
    Settled on Gigabyte B450M DS3H

When I looked at the reviews for this board (and similar ones), many meno bios incompatibility. Specifically the mobo shipped with support for 16nm &12nm chips but the newer 7nm (like 3600) would need a bios flash to work.

How will I know ahead of time if a given B450 mobo will work with the 3600?

Alternatively I could play it safe by getting at 12nm chip like the 2600 and save some money towards an eventual 4700 (or similar) chip

Comments

MSI do Max versions of a few of their boards which will work out of the box. Other than that then you'll need an older CPU first to update the BIOS or buy one with a BIOS Flashback. Some baords have these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

Most current stock of B450 motherboard will be updated to the newest one. Best is to confirm with supplier, I know that CCL can do so over live chat. I got a Asrock B450M Pro 4 F and it had the Ryzen 3000 sticker on it along with full OOTB compatibility.

Regarding the 3600 vs 1600AF/2600 it depends what kind of graphics card you're looking at and required FPS/Resolution. If you want 144fps gaming at low competitive graphics settings the 3600 will see a decent increase. But for 75hz gaming at higher graphical settings the 1600AF/2600 will be plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭romperstomper

That is great info, thank you both. Today the 2600 is 110gbp vs 165gbp for 3600 and I'm gaming on a new Dell 2415 monitor that I'm guessing is gonna locked at 75hz or below (it was bought for general office use, not gaming)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah it's a 60hz monitor

Panel Type
    In-plane switching, anti glare with hard coat 3H
    Aspect Ratio
    Widescreen (16:10)
    Native Resolution
    1920 x 1200 at 60Hz

you could try and overclock it and see if it is stable with this test

https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

I'll be (re)using the following:
    Dell u2415 monitor
    600w PSU
    670gtx (From 2013!)
    512gb SSD

With the following that I'll likely order from ccl as they are the only people who have cpu stock of the 2600 (attached)

Are there any gotchas I should know? I figure I'll need to update the gpu but I was hoping to wait for the new Nvidia 3000 series (or the price drops it will trigger)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

Depending on how many fans you are going to use, might be worthwhile to grab a 4pin splitter. The motherboard has 1 fan header for CPU cooler and 1 spare for your system. For ideal cooling an intake fan at front and an exhaust fan at the back (here the motherboard external connections are).

This is what I used: https://www.cclonline.com/product/223943/FAN4SPLIT12/Power-Cables-Adapters/StarTech-com-12-inch-4-Pin-Fan-Power-Splitter-Cable-F/M/CAB6221/

Oh and grab an extra fan, as the case only comes with one. Something like this will do the job fine: https://www.cclonline.com/product/237425/AFACO-120P2-GBA01/Chassis-Case-Fans/Arctic-F12-PWM-120mm-Case-Fan-with-PWM-Control/CLR1561/

What graphics card are you planning on using? 60hz gaming at 1080p is easy enough to run these days and a much better experience than on consoles :)

djan wrote: »
    Depending on how many fans you are going to use, might be worthwhile to grab a 4pin splitter. The motherboard has 1 fan header for CPU cooler and 1 spare for your system. For ideal cooling an intake fan at front and an exhaust fan at the back (here the motherboard external connections are).

This is what I used: https://www.cclonline.com/product/223943/FAN4SPLIT12/Power-Cables-Adapters/StarTech-com-12-inch-4-Pin-Fan-Power-Splitter-Cable-F/M/CAB6221/

Oh and grab an extra fan, as the case only comes with one. Something like this will do the job fine: https://www.cclonline.com/product/237425/AFACO-120P2-GBA01/Chassis-Case-Fans/Arctic-F12-PWM-120mm-Case-Fan-with-PWM-Control/CLR1561/

What graphics card are you planning on using? 60hz gaming at 1080p is easy enough to run these days and a much better experience than on consoles :)

I currently own a 670gtx (from 2013!). I could pick up a MSI 1660 super today but if my old card does the job then I can hang on for Nvidia 3000 to push prices down further

BTW I'm harvesting parts from the rig I built in 2010 based around Intel Core i7 860 2.80G s1156

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

B450 is good because AMD just announced that they will support for Zen 3 future chipset.

I am also going to upgrade my rig (from 2014 aha) soon but I am going to wait for the B550, that i would want that PCIe4 ha. It is supposed to come out mid-June so that's very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

I currently own a 670gtx (from 2013!). I could pick up a MSI 1660 super today but if my old card does the job then I can hang on for Nvidia 3000 to push prices down further

I suppose it depends on what you want to play. A GTX670 would struggle with a lot of new games even on low settings.

Games from a few years ago that are still popular (like GTA V, Siege, Witcher 3, that kinda stuff) would run well enough.

Advertisement