Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No child care, going back to work

Options
  • 29-05-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm receiving covid19 payment, but I'm starting to panic. I'm single parent, and looks like childcare facilities won't be open at least untill September.
    I will have to return to work sometime after 8th of June. And I have no family, that could look after my child.
    But everywhere where I have looked has said I won't qualify for Covid19 payment if I can't return to work when asked.
    What do I do?
    Has anyone come across, any articles recently about this?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

mea_k wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm receiving covid19 payment, but I'm starting to panic. I'm single parent, and looks like childcare facilities won't be open at least untill September.
    I will have to return to work sometime after 8th of June. And I have no family, that could look after my child.
    But everywhere where I have looked has said I won't qualify for Covid19 payment if I can't return to work when asked.
    What do I do?
    Has anyone come across, any articles recently about this?

Many thanks.

Have you spoke to your employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

Car99 wrote: »
    Have you spoke to your employer?

No, headoffice sending emails, but not replying with what is my option.
    Realistacly if we do end up opening I can't go back to work. I'm with my child 24/7 his dad is stuck overseas, and is front line worker.
    I have tried getting childminder, but most of them that have gotten back to me don't want to be doing it or has allready taken on some child.

All comes to all I will just have to leave my job, but I do love my job. And I hope it doesn't come to this.
    I'm litterly on verge of tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 PooPooPooPoo

Sounds like a tough situation OP but I would start with speaking to your employer. These are exceptional times and you may be surprised how flexible they might be - if they have any sense, they will demonstrate flexibility and do all they can for you, knowing that you will be loyal in return, it is in their interests too. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Start contacting everyone in the childcare they were going to, someone might take them. A lot of people I know already have childcare back, impossible to work without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭mea_k

Start contacting everyone in the childcare they were going to, someone might take them. A lot of people I know already have childcare back, impossible to work without it.

Is it creches? Or minders? Because got letter from creche just saying still no updates and not sure when safe to go back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

I think you should pick up the phone and talk to your manager or HR. Another thought is - ask around. Do any of your friends or colleagues have childminders? They might be able to give you some leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

I think a lot of people will be in this situation and I think a clever employer interested in keeping good people should link returning to work to schools/creches reopening, if at all possible.

Advertisement