Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supermacs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

He's a massive hypocrite too - back in the '90s, someone opened a fast food restaurant in Bray and called it SuperJack's (it would have been around the time of the 1994 World Cup and had a crudely drawn image of Jack Charlton in the window). Anyway, McDonagh objected and they had to change the name to FastJacks.

I’d need a superjacks after eating the boiled ****e Pat McDonagh serves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I’d need a superjacks after eating the boiled ****e Pat McDonagh serves.

The brother swears by the breast-in-a-bun there - I'm surprised at that man of all people, I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I've boycotted Supermacs for a while now. McDonagh even encouraged the spread of covid19 by staying open as long as possible. Bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Supermacs is rotten, septic food - avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Barely do these days anyways but won't be going into a Supermacs ever again after reading that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

1.60 a day? They charged 4 euro a day when I worked for them years ago, along with a couple of hundred euro a year for uniform "rental" (two shirts, one hat, one apron). Brought wages to a chunk below minimum wage. I and many others didn't eat the food, but were charged regardless.

On top of that, they treat their staff like absolute dirt. No respect for anything that comes out of that chap's mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah here, say whatever you like about Mr. McDonagh, but “Supermacs” have some decent burgers.

Breakfast isn’t bad either.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ah here, say whatever you like about Mr. McDonagh, but “Supermacs” have some decent burgers.

Utter bollocks. McDonagh wouldn't know a decent beef burger if he fell over it, and that'd be the only way he'd encounter one at this rate a' knots. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Country folk love that, W.

You’ll always hear them “banging on” about good ol’ Pat was standing behind the checkout on a busy Saturday night.

Judging by the pic, he looks like he's chowing down too much of his outlets' "food".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Spoken like a true jackeen who wouldn’t know taste if it kicked him in his diamond bejazzled ballsack :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Imagine going for breakfast in Supermacs, I'd be mortified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true jackeen who wouldn’t know taste if it kicked him in his diamond bejazzled ballsack :rolleyes:

1.3 million jackeens can't be wrong

A mere 10 **** kicker outlets opened to date in the capital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Never knew anything about uniform and food deductions at Supermacs.

Shocking.

How is it even legal to charge staff for food they may not want? :confused:

Won't be going near them again.

What a sub-human cu*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

1.3 million jackeens can't be wrong

A mere 10 **** kicker outlets opened to date in the capital

Food is food and if it’s good it’s good - unfortunately there’s no helping pretentious assholes who think they are too good or highbrow to eat there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Significantly better quality and more consistent than McDonalds at this stage; which is saying something as McDonalds were known for global consistency in the past.

The difference is that McDonalds is a relatively decent workplace, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Martin Murphy 1920, McDonagh 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

McDonagh is clearly using the charges on food and for uniforms to get out of paying the minimum wage. What a Cnut. Won’t be getting my chips off him again.
    Imagine having the neck to do that while at the same time portraying himself as a poor little guy taking on the big international corporation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

McDonagh is clearly using the charges on food and for uniforms to get out of paying the minimum wage. What a Cnut. Won’t be getting my chips off him again.
    Imagine having the neck to do that while at the same time portraying himself as a poor little guy taking on the big international corporation.

To be fair, the chips aren’t great. Burgers are decent though.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

L1011 wrote: »
    Significantly better quality and more consistent than McDonalds at this stage; which is saying something as McDonalds were known for global consistency in the past.

The difference is that McDonalds is a relatively decent workplace, though.

Afraid you've got that arseways.

Over the past few years, any time I've eaten in McDonalds, I've found it to be very consistent (ly mediocre).

With Supermacs, on the other hand, you're far more likely to find that the fries are raw, overcooked, or cooked in bad oil than your are to get an enjoyable chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't think it's so much the money as the message being sent to staff. We fucking own you and we'll take this money out of your pay packet and not a fucking thing you can do about it.

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

On a personal level him & wife etc aren't greedy people whatsoever. You can reply with the usual "blah blah heresay" & "they all say that" etc but the truth is theyre not, they've always been normal by all accounts and give loads to local charities and are generally involved in all good local projects going on (without the use of the brand).

However the reports of the uniform and food docking from wages is bad and suggests a dickish edge to the businessman side at least. And speaking up on this topic is suicide at the moment and very foolish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Id say hes the kind of guy who if he got a taxi and the fare was 9.80,and he paid a tenner, he would be looking for his 20 cent back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

I didn't like his comment one bit. Came across as an ass. They say no such thing as bad publicity but I think the world has moved on from that a bit, he sounded like a tit with that needless comment. Easy enough avoid giving him business anyway coz the "food" is dirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Making staff pay for uniform rental is bad form.

Especially when staff are being paid at the minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

mikeym wrote: »

Disgraceful. Like you'd have your uniform paid for several times over if you stayed on there.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

You can’t beat a Mighty Mac meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

At the start of this pandemic there was an article on him. It was all about the business and expansion. making more money.
    People were dying of covid in Ireland when this article was written. seems to be taken down but if i find a link i will post

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

What would you expect from a Loughrea man only a grunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Martin Murphy 1920, McDonagh 2020

Who? What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sworn enemy of Jim Larkin and Trade Unions in general; see Dublin Lockout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

William Martin Murphy lockout 1913.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

gmisk wrote: »
    Scumbag behaviour.
    A guy posted his payslip on Twitter he paid more in food and uniform than he paid in taxes....ffs

Im gonna guess he paid virtually no tax then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

dotsman wrote: »
    Afraid you've got that arseways.

Over the past few years, any time I've eaten in McDonalds, I've found it to be very consistent (ly mediocre).

With Supermacs, on the other hand, you're far more likely to find that the fries are raw, overcooked, or cooked in bad oil than your are to get an enjoyable chip.

McDonald's is the home of cold fries and limp lettuce. You may have got lucky

he was moaning about someone who had a claim in against them a few months back as well, good enough for him. karma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Im gonna guess he paid virtually no tax then.

Depends on the hours worked.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    On a personal level him & wife etc aren't greedy people whatsoever. You can reply with the usual "blah blah heresay" & "they all say that" etc but the truth is theyre not, they've always been normal by all accounts and give loads to local charities and are generally involved in all good local projects going on (without the use of the brand).

However the reports of the uniform and food docking from wages is bad and suggests a dickish edge to the businessman side at least. And speaking up on this topic is suicide at the moment and very foolish

someone who owns 118 restaurants in Ireland plus Hotels and bars in America isn't greedy? giving money to charity doesn't mean you aren't greedy, a lot of companies give to charity to look good to the public, most of them couldn't care less about the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

pgj2015 wrote: »
    someone who owns 118 restaurants in Ireland plus Hotels and bars in America isn't greedy? giving money to charity doesn't mean you aren't greedy, a lot of companies give to charity to look good to the public, most of them couldn't care less about the cause.

How does owning 118 premises automatically make someone greedy? Is every single person who expands their business greedy, just because they did so?

Dya notice I said he & the wife give me to charity, not the companies? Surely that proves it's not a publicity stunt as bar some sports sponsorship I've never seen any charitable causes championed by the companies involved.

The point is there can be a difference between the businessman (who looks like a priick and has some very questionable practices which I don't agree with), and the normal life people who by loads of accounts are down to earth and likeable.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    How does owning 118 premises automatically make someone greedy? Is every single person who expands their business greedy, just because they did so?

Dya notice I said he & the wife give me to charity, not the companies? Surely that proves it's not a publicity stunt as bar some sports sponsorship I've never seen any charitable causes championed by the companies involved.

The point is there can be a difference between the businessman (who looks like a priick and has some very questionable practices which I don't agree with), and the normal life people who by loads of accounts are down to earth and likeable.

anyone who had that many businesses are usually greedy in fairness, sean quinn is a prime example. mcdonagh has proved it by docking wages for uniforms and food the employees don't even eat.

The genuine people give to charity anonymously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Avery Strong Fax

mikeym wrote: »

do you have to return the uniform?

Is the taking off money for food illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

elperello wrote: »
    Depends on the hours worked.

But of course.

The fact that he paid less tax than he did for uniform and food says more about how little tax he paid than how expensive his uniform was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Need for more regulation if you can get around the minimum wage by charging staff for food regardless if they want it or not and charging for a fcking chipper uniform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is a crap policy to deduct money from people for food when they are on so little but he is right when he says people at home getting the same as they would at work would have no incentive to return to work, that is simple logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

It is a crap policy to deduct money from people for food when they are on so little but he is right when he says people at home getting the same as they would at work would have no incentive to return to work, that is simple logic.

No what he said was part time workers getting 350 quid per week is like winning the lottery for them. That is not simple logic, that's being an ass.
    If he had simply said paying part timers 350 is a disincentive to work then that WOULD be simple logic. But that's not what he said.

I'm not a part timer, I'm not one of the people he insulted, but he definitely shouldn't have said was he did, it was way out of line and if someone gets 350 quid for a while and feels like they've won the lottery then I'd be very surprised, it was a stupid comment to make and showed him in a very bad light.
    The good thing is that it seems to be bringing to light the way he structures payments to his staff now and people are finding a bit more about what goes on there so I'm chuffed for him that his comment backfired, it was nasty and unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Hulk Hands wrote:

As far as I'm aware, there's a bit of a tax incentive when it comes to charitable donations as well. My current employer had said something about it once.

Usually, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Is the taking off money for food illegal?

Yup, you have to return it. By the time I'd left, I'd paid the guts of 500 quid for the privilege of wearing two shirts that didn't fit (about 3 sizes too big), one hat and a pair of anti slip shoes 2 sizes too big. :pac: All returned to be re-used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

L1011 wrote: »
    McDonald's is the home of cold fries and limp lettuce. You may have got lucky

Have to agree. I go there with the kids as we don't have much choice here. I get curly fries and to be fair, McDonald's are consistent.... Consistently cold and consistently sent back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

jimgoose wrote: »
    Utter bollocks. McDonagh wouldn't know a decent beef burger if he fell over it, and that'd be the only way he'd encounter one at this rate a' knots. :D

The fresh burger the rugby fella was doing the ads for is top class, chicken fillet burger tasty too. Had some horrific yoke a year or so ago after failing to specify either of the above to the missus!
    Lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Uniform is scabby, think Ryanair iirc charge loads for them.
    E3 a day for food n people getting excited - I'd pay that for a coffee ffs.
    I don't think people like hearing unpalatable facts in Ireland and prefer to be outraged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

I worked in a Supermac's when I was younger, never had to pay for uniforms or food and no-one cared what you ate within reason. Many's the day lunch was easily €10-12 worth of food.

Seems mad they can charge a minimum wage worker for lunch even if it's not eaten.

Pat McDonagh though is increasingly coming across like a maniac these past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Homelander wrote: »

Seems mad they can charge a minimum wage worker for lunch even if it's not eaten.

They can't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement