Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine 5G question

• 29-05-2020 2:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5

I'm aware 5g is controversial so I do not want to get into a debate about it. Like a lot of others I don't know what to believe on this but I'm one of the few who'd like to err on the side of caution.

So my question is, for those of you who are with imagine, is it possible to turn off the 5g option of new routers? There are two signals coming from my router. One is 2.4GHz=ImagineLTE... & the other is 5GHz=ImagineLTE... Is it possible to turn the 5g one of these off? And what does the '2.4 GHz' prefix mean? does that mean 4G?

The guy on the Imagine chat feature told me that they're not supplying 5g yet! However he said that all new equipment is 5g ready! I explained that of the two WiFi signals coming from our router reads 5g, but he still insisted that Imagine don't supply 5g yet. He also said "[Imagine] will be using the same frequency for 5g [as 4g]. Your router doesn't broadcast the signal it only gives you WiFi in your house." If that were true, then what is all the fuss about 5g for so? I obviously cannot trust what Imagine say to me.

The guy who installed the router and cell tower told us that we now have 5g, and he mentioned nothing about 5g not being available yet. We have to have 5g because the download speeds with it are about 70 times faster.

I've been turning it off at night, but now I've had to wonder about that. And when it's turned off at night are we free from it? Or is that small cell tower on our house still emitting radiation everywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

4G and 5G refer to 4th and 5th generation mobile standards.
    4G is also known as LTE and LTE+, 5G as NR

2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz are WiFi frequency bands used to communicate wirelessly between router and devices. These frequency bands can be switched off or on in the router's configuration menu.

Your router is using the 4G standard to connect to your devices over the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band. Only the 3 mobile networks are currently using 5G in the same frequency range that Imagine operate in. Imagine may at some stage move from 4G to 5G.

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/is-5g-5ghz-the-same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I'm aware 5g is controversial

No it's not, that's absolute nonsense you've been reading!

Anyway, the 5G on your wireless router is 5ghz, the frequency it runs at. Nothing at all to do with 5G (5th Gen)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 soft blueberrie

No it's not, that's absolute nonsense you've been reading!
    Your opinion isn't any different from a smoker in the 1960s!
    Anyway, the 5G on your wireless router is 5ghz, the frequency it runs at. Nothing at all to do with 5G (5th Gen)
    So why are my download speeds so much faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Your opinion isn't any different from a smoker in the 1960s!

Please stop subscribing to this ill-informed nonsense, it's absolute horse sh1t, isn't based on any scientific facts or data
    So why are my download speeds so much faster?

5ghz is faster because higher frequencies allow faster transmission of data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,142 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sorry OP your either a troll or a moron. Simple as that.

I'm not even getting into the discussion of the frequencies because there is ample factual information out there for you to read.

Cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Just because it says 5G, does not mean it is the same 5G you think it is.

First step: find out what you are talking about.
    Second step: read some factual scientific information about it frok a reputable source. The WHO is a good start.
    Third step: Don't make assumptions based on knowledge you don't have.

Fact: Imagine are advertising that they are "5G ready". That means they are not using 5G, yet.
    Fact: you won't even know if they use 3G, 4G or 5G technology, because it does not say anywhere or indicate that fact
    Fact: when you pick up a signal, that says "5G", then it is unlikely to be related to a mobile signal. It is more likely a wifi signal and just wants to tell you, that it is 5GHz, so faster than 2.4GHz.

What you told us above, as that you think you are drinking gin, but in reality you are drinking water and have no clue that there is a difference.

/M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 soft blueberrie

Please stop subscribing to this ill-informed nonsense, it's absolute horse sh1t, isn't based on any scientific facts or data
    Well I'm not going to believe everything I'm told. I've read a lot about the matter. I'm not saying that 5g radiation is harmful. I'm just saying I'd rather not take any changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Well I'm not going to believe everything I'm told. I've read a lot about the matter. I'm not saying that 5g radiation is harmful. I'm just saying I'd rather not take any changes.

The problem is that you don't even know what you're talking about. And all you've read must have been rubbish.

Until you get a 5G capable mobile phone AND whatever provider you use upgrades to 5G, you won't have any 5G in your home. And there isn't any real 5G rollout in Ireland, yet. But 3G and 4G are the same thing really .. signal wise. So you have it already.

So .. it's best you switch your mobile to airplane mode. The only issue then is, that you can't get any calls. So you may as well get rid of your mobile.

As for signals that are named "5G" nowadays ... that's not 5G .. that's short for 5 GHz and that is something entirely different. It has been around for over 20 years. It's just more common now. And it's just a form of wifi.

/M

Advertisement