Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

Wibbs wrote: »
    Coming from a long line of Republicans in my heart and soul I'd bloody love for this country to be whole, but thinking with my head and looking at the political, social and massive financial fallout that would surely occur in its wake I really don't know if it's such a great idea. At the moment anyway.

All anyone has to do to stop Irish reunification is tell the southerners their pockets will be a little smaller afterwards, we don't really care about anything else these days to be honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A lot smaller H. How many billions does London fire into the North a year? IIRC the percentage of Northern Irish people directly employed by the state is the highest in the EU per region. The hit would be massive to our pockets and that brings more crap with it. Never mind a still large proportion of NI residents who wouldn't want any reunification. Like I say I'd bloody love for our nation to be one again and that would work out a lot easier today than when partition happened, but still... Maybe down the line. Maybe brexit will be the trigger in the longer term.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 273 ✭✭Hqrry113

Wibbs wrote: »
    A lot smaller H. How many billions does London fire into the North a year? IIRC the percentage of Northern Irish people directly employed by the state is the highest in the EU per region. The hit would be massive to our pockets and that brings more crap with it. Never mind a still large proportion of NI residents who wouldn't want any reunification. Like I say I'd bloody love for our nation to be one again and that would work out a lot easier today than when partition happened, but still... Maybe down the line. Maybe brexit will be the trigger in the longer term.

Yeah because it's a tiny little place made as it's own state in the UK the same would happen if any other random 6 counties were it's own state in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I don't know if this should go into a Covid thread but I think it will gain more traction here.

Blaming the Bobby Storey funeral for covid spread Edwin Poots of the DUP said: "That’s why there’s a difference between nationalist areas and unionist areas.
    The difference is about 6 to 1.”

Forget the Bobby Storey funeral and the uproar which Poots' remarks inevitably engendered.

Is there a noticeable difference between NI covid figures in Catholic/Nationalist areas and Protestant/Uninist areas? Has anyone any figures?

I know that Derry-Strabane is bad, but 6 to 1 beggars belief.

I cannot get my head around any politician of any hue being so stupid as to make the statement Poots did without having something to back it up.

Any comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

feargale wrote: »
    I don't know if this should go into a Covid thread but I think it will gain more traction here.

Blaming the Bobby Storey funeral for covid spread Edwin Poots of the DUP said: "That’s why there’s a difference between nationalist areas and unionist areas.

Forget the Bobby Storey funeral and the uproar which Poots' remarks inevitably engendered.

Is there a noticeable difference between NI covid figures in Catholic/Nationalist areas and Protestant/Uninist areas? Has anyone any figures?

I cannot get my head around any politician of any hue being so stupid as to make the statement Poots did without having something to back it up.

Any comment?

Poots, who probably needs a bit of distraction from other issues he is having, sectarianised the problem.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2020/10/20/news/data-expert-says-covid-hotspots-in-northern-ireland-linked-to-poverty---not-religion-2103645/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Any comment?

Agree and have asked the same questions. Covid was the least offensive aspect of the ridiculous and sinister glorification of the useless criminal Bobby Story

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Truthvader wrote: »
    Agree and have asked the same questions. Covid was the least offensive aspect of the ridiculous and sinister glorification of the useless criminal Bobby Story

I would prefer to see figures. I see that the Irish News article contains a statement that figures are not broken down by religion. But are they not broken down by district?

I would prefer to see figures. I see that the Irish News article contains a statement that figures are not broken down by religion. But are they not broken down by district?

The data the IN article is based on. I thought it was included in article.

122010418_1408786002662525_2384533786762909521_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=wC99FpoKK_0AX-Bkdcm&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=b07bb1eceb28e767b4488d4cd04d0f77&oe=5FB4F823

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Any comment?

Yes, you really are underestimating the stupidity of the DUP - Poots is a man who believes that the world is 6,000 years old - this is but one of many examples of his 'intelligence'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So in today's news it says that won't be a border poll for at least the next five years .....

Expect a border poll in six years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

We cant afford it.

Covid has finished it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So in today's news it says that won't be a border poll for at least the next five years .....

Give us an oul link there hammy

Michael Martin said it this AM.

A FF promise...hmmmm :)

There will never be one.

Only the Tories or New Labour can trigger it. They never will.

You don't have to do his job for him all the time. It would be nice for him to post something and then we could discuss it rather than having to go over his obvious pleading stupidity/unionist defensive schtick for the umpteenth time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

What's your opinion on it? I think taking it slowly is a good idea but 500 million will do feck all.

SF
    We will never surrender
    We will never return to Stormont
    ;)

There will never be one.

You've nothing to worry about so.

Why you dance around UI threads is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Yes, you really are underestimating the stupidity of the DUP - Poots is a man who believes that the world is 6,000 years old - this is but one of many examples of his 'intelligence'

In fairness the other side believes in "virgin birth" and that the wafer turns to flesh when you eat it!

There will never be one.

Or the Queen could!!

Is the mechanism for triggering the border poll not in the courts of appeal at the minute?

And I wouldn't be so sure that Labour wouldn't call a poll, absolutely no benefit to them in any shape or form to keep Northern Ireland as part of the UK. Money is about to become very scarce in the UK and any cost cutting measures that can be made without damaging London will be considered.

• Advertisement

jh79 wrote: »
    In fairness the other side believes in "virgin birth" and that the wafer turns to flesh when you eat it!

I don't think the "other side", as you so delightfully call Catholics, believe that literally.

Poots is a creationist, he believes that literally.

Amazing how you've managed to somehow denigrate Catholicism in defence of a belligerent bigoted Unionist.

So unlike you.

I don't think the "other side", as you so delightfully call Catholics, believe that literally.

Poots is a creationist, he believes that literally.

Amazing how you've managed to somehow denigrate Catholicism in defence of a belligerent bigoted Unionist.

So unlike you.

Why are all the Catholics in NI sending their kids forward for stuff like communion if they dont believe their kids are eating the flesh of a Jesus? :confused:

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Or the Queen could!!

Is the mechanism for triggering the border poll not in the courts of appeal at the minute?

And I wouldn't be so sure that Labour wouldn't call a poll, absolutely no benefit to them in any shape or form to keep Northern Ireland as part of the UK. Money is about to become very scarce in the UK and any cost cutting measures that can be made without damaging London will be considered.

The Brits have learned their lesson. No referendums ever again after Brexit.

jh79 wrote: »

I must have missed that press conference, which leading politician from 'the other side' has held press conferences on these matters.

Anyway to get back to the original question, Poots is a complete nutter, as I said he has repeatedly stated that the earth is only 6000 years old and continues to defend this position, but then in the next breath he denies Climate Change is real and quotes the ice-age as an example of how these things are merely cyclical - when was the Ice Age Mr. Poots :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Heres your link Bonnie.

RTE News; Border poll 'not on Govt agenda' for next 5 years.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1022/1173114-taoiseach-shared-island-north-south/

The Brits have learned their lesson. No referendums ever again after Brexit.

That is on the assumption that they actually want to keep Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Thank God for Michael Martin in regards to the Northern Ireland question. Ruling out Border polls is a good start to any engagement with Unionists.

Why are all the Catholics in NI sending their kids forward for stuff like communion if they dont believe their kids are eating the flesh of a Jesus? :confused:

You are dead right you are confused!

Firstly not ''all the catholics in Northern Ireland' are doing as you suggest. Secondly communion is not about eating teh flesh of Christ, yes its a load of bollo* but it is meant to represent Jesus sacrifice and shedding of blood.

And thirdly and even better still you do know that Protestants take communion as well :D:D

I mean... what?

Why are Catholics sending their children forward to take Catholic sacraments?

Do you think that most Catholics, and I can only speak from my own experiences, believe that the the Bible is to be interpreted literally and that all of its symbolism, while from the POV of the Church itself should be lapped up literally, is in fact taken as a representative and notional idea?

But of course, lets ignore Poots and his LITERAL acceptance of the bible. Because that's okay and let's look at themmuns over there who take bread thinking it's Jesus and think that Mary didn't get the ride.

I know lots of RC, COI and Methodists and not one of them has ever alluded to their religious teachings as to be something to be taken literally .

Anyway, back to the topic at hand which is a unionist being a bigot and which you seem to be defending...

I'm glad you're happy to accept Poots and his acceptance of the world being 6000 years old is perfectly okay.

• Advertisement

Heres your link Bonnie.

RTE News; Border poll 'not on Govt agenda' for next 5 years.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1022/1173114-taoiseach-shared-island-north-south/

And have you anything to add to the discussion about it?

I mean it's a subject you seem at once enthralled by but you keep saying how you don't know a lot about it.

This could be a learning experience.

Advertisement