Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

I mean... what?

Why are Catholics sending their children forward to take Catholic sacraments?

Do you think that most Catholics, and I can only speak from my own experiences, believe that the the Bible is to be interpreted literally and that all of its symbolism, while from the POV of the Church itself should be lapped up literally, is in fact taken as a representative and notional idea?

But of course, lets ignore Poots and his LITERAL acceptance of the bible. Because that's okay and let's look at themmuns over there who take bread thinking it's Jesus and think that Mary didn't get the ride.

I know lots of RC, COI and Methodists and not one of them has ever alluded to their religious teachings as to be something to be taken literally .

Anyway, back to the topic at hand which is a unionist being a bigot and which you seem to be defending...

I'm glad you're happy to accept Poots and his acceptance of the world being 6000 years old is perfectly okay.

Have you lost your mind.As a practicing Catholic transubstan
    tiation is a cornerstone of the whole religion. I follow the teaching. I believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Thank God for Michael Martin in regards to the Northern Ireland question. Ruling out Border polls is a good start to any engagement with Unionists.

So ruling out an opportunity for engagement is a good start to engagement with Unionists?

He's merely clarifying what the Shared Island Unit is setting out to achieve.

That being said, it's as slippery and as wishy washy as anything you would expect from MM.

Have you lost your mind.As a practicing Catholic transubstatiation is a cornerstone of the whole religion. I follow the teaching. I believe it.

That's on you Bill.

Any literal interpretation of any religious teaching is nuts.

I'm pointing out that bugger all people I know who profess to be of any religious persuasion take on the literal interpretations of their denominations, because they're not crazy and see religion in a different light to fundamentalists like yourself and Edwin.

So ruling out an opportunity for engagement is a good start to engagement with Unionists?

Plenty of room for engagement with border polls off the table. My only issue with what he said is that the border poll should be off the table for 50 years and not just 5. That would encourage meaningful interactions and practical involvement by all sides.

That's on you Bill.

Any literal interpretation of any religious teaching is nuts.

I'm pointing out that bugger all people I know who profess to be of any religious persuasion take on the literal interpretations of their denominations, because they're not crazy and see religion in a different light to fundamentalists like yourself and Edwin.

Well I dont think many people around you would talk about religion at all. Youd probably laugh at them. Youd want to look up the term fundamentalist.. typical anti religious know-it all. And not a nice person I would say. Do you go around ridiculing Islam to your Islamic Colleagues? Yeah I bet you do..

• Advertisement

Plenty of room for engagement with border polls off the table. My only issue with what he said is that the border poll should be off the table for 50 years and not just 5. That would encourage meaningful interactions and practical involvement by all sides.

How can anyone now take anything off the agenda for 50 years?

I mean, you're all for making sure the Unionist is getting the warm fuzzies, but you want to shít all over the aspirations of the majority of your compatriots?

You've an odd way about going about a "Shared Island".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

I don't think the "other side", as you so delightfully call Catholics, believe that literally.

Poots is a creationist, he believes that literally.

Amazing how you've managed to somehow denigrate Catholicism in defence of a belligerent bigoted Unionist.

So unlike you.

Transubstantiation (Latin: transsubstantiatio; Greek: μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, "the change of the whole substance of bread into the substance of the Body of Christ and of the whole substance of wine into the substance of the Blood of Christ.

Surely as a Catholic you are familiar with the Virgin Mary?

Well I dont think many people around you would talk about religion at all. Youd probably laugh at them. Youd want to look up the term fundamentalist.. typical anti religious know-it all. And not a nice person I would say. Do you go around ridiculing Islam to your Islamic Colleagues? Yeah I bet you do..

I would actually. I would laugh at any one who took the concepts of transubstantiation literally. It's bananas.

I would also laugh at anyone who thought that bringing up religion and discussing their beliefs in any conversation is appropriate.

What has Islam got to do anything?

Someone criticised Poots for being a creationist. Then someone foolishly tried to denigrate Catholics. Which I defended. And then you've launched in with your attacks on me.

No one has mentioned Islam or declared their belief in some fundamental aspect of Islam that defies logic. But when they do, and it seems unlikely that they will in a UI thread, I will gladly round on them to keep you happy Bill.

jh79 wrote: »
    Transubstantiation (Latin: transsubstantiatio; Greek: μετουσίωσις metousiosis) is, according to the teaching of the Catholic Church, "the change of the whole substance of bread into the substance of the Body of Christ and of the whole substance of wine into the substance of the Blood of Christ.

Surely as a Catholic you are familiar with the Virgin Mary?

Did you zone out of all of the subsequent posts dear boy?

I'll wait 'til you catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Have you lost your mind.As a practicing Catholic transubstan
    tiation is a cornerstone of the whole religion. I follow the teaching. I believe it.

Name calling, casting aspersions over peoples character and attempting to dismiss the rights and free will of the majority.

And that's just in the last 20 mins, you are some devout Catholic alright, maybe read your bible again there like a good lad, you certainly seemed to have cherry picked a few bits!!

Only thing worse that a troll is a dumb troll :D

• Advertisement

Did you zone out of all of the subsequent posts dear boy?

I'll wait 'til you catch up.

He's a creationist because of his religion. Plenty of stupid aspects to Catholicism too.

Don't get me started on a la carte religious types:mad:!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

And have you anything to add to the discussion about it?

I mean it's a subject you seem at once enthralled by but you keep saying how you don't know a lot about it. This could be a learning experience.

I'm interested in respect of the border staying or going, same with Scotland. European boundaries & borders haven't changed very much in recent years, so if Northern Ireland votes to leave the UK than I find that fascinating, and what if Scotland leaves too?

He's a creationist because of his religion. Plenty of stupid aspects to Catholicism too.

Again, I was literally discussing all of that above.

My point was that Poots believes this literally and because of that, you and others stepped in with some "themmuns" nonsense as a way to defend any slight on the wee Unionist craturs.

No one was ever denying that the literal interpretation of any Catholic teachings isn't anything but approaching certifiable, but we were discussing a sectarian bigot who believes in creationism that has decided to spout bigoted misinformed crap.

Imy interested in respect of the border staying or going, same with Scotland. National boundaries & borders haven't changed very much in recent years, so if Northern Ireland vies to leave the UK than I find that fascinating, and what if Scotland leaves too?

Oh my.

Yes, you have an interest, but your interest seems to stem from the pov that Nationalist aspirations are bogus.

Again, I was literally discussing all of that above.

My point was that Poots believes this literally and because of that, you and others stepped in with some "themmuns" nonsense as a way to defend any slight on the wee Unionist craturs.

No one was ever denying that the literal interpretation of any Catholic teachings isn't anything but approaching certifiable, but we were discussing a sectarian bigot who believes in creationism that has decided to spout bigoted misinformed crap.

Creationism is an aspect of the Protestant religion. His beliefs were being denigrated too. I wasn't defending Poots just highlighting hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Oh my.

Yes, you have an interest, but your interest seems to stem from the pov that Nationalist aspirations are bogus.

Oh, nice try Bonnie :)

Just because I supported the SDLP (and not the Provos) doesn't make that so, does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What politician is using his/her Roman Catholic beliefs to comment on the spread of Covid?

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Name calling, casting aspersions over peoples character and attempting to dismiss the rights and free will of the majority.

And that's just in the last 20 mins, you are some devout Catholic alright, maybe read your bible again there like a good lad, you certainly seemed to have cherry picked a few bits!!

Only thing worse that a troll is a dumb troll :D

Haha a go away out of it. The Sinn Fein bots were due a good overheating episode and MM provided it. Its great. I think unification should be off the table and it is. The majority dont want it. I think if it does come up the people North and South and the people in the UK as a whole should have a vote on it. Let the people of these Islands decide.
    Are you going to start telling me how devout my Catholicism is?.I dont think you have the credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

There will never be one.

Only the Tories or New Labour can trigger it. They never will.
    The Brits have learned their lesson. No referendums ever again after Brexit.

Yes , it seems the UK is set to go the way of Trump in tearing up any international treaty that doesn't suit. If that is done once who will ever trust them again?

Haha a go away out of it. The Sinn Fein bots were due a good overheating episode and MM provided it. Its great. I think unification should be off the table and it is. The majority dont want it. I think if it does come up the people North and South and the people in the UK as a whole should have a vote on it. Let the people of these Islands decide.
    Are you going to start telling me how devout my Catholicism is?.I dont think you have the credentials.

The 'people in the UK' will have no say - 'it is for the people of the island of Ireland to decide their fate' without outside impediment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Where do I buy the popcorn?

:D I have not given you enough credit to be fair, you have a very bright future.

I assume Fossetts are still hiring?

What politician is using his/her Roman Catholic beliefs to comment on the spread of Covid?

I wasn't defending Poots. When it came up on the thread i said the difference was most likely due to poverty.

If a Protestant poster followed a stupid remark by a SF member with something along the lines of "sure they believe in Virgin Birth" i would of given a similar reply. Creationism is an aspect of his religion.

I wasn't defending Poots. When it came up on the thread i said the difference was most likely due to poverty.

If a Protestant poster followed a stupid remark by a SF member with something along the lines of "sure they believe in Virgin Birth" i would of given a similar reply. Creationism is an aspect of his religion.

I couldn't care less if he believes we are descended from chestnuts TBH, he deliberately sectarianised the crisis.

I couldn't care less if he believes we are descended from chestnuts TBH, he deliberately sectarianised the crisis.

Exactly but the poster decided to add his belief about creationism into the mix which is a part of his religion. Whether you are a Protestant, Catholic or Scientologist there will be aspects of your beliefs that are ridiculous. Slagging the other side shows a lack of self awareness.

Exactly but the poster decided to add his belief about creationism into the mix which is a part of his religion. Whether you are a Protestant, Catholic or Scientologist there will be aspects of your beliefs that are ridiculous. Slagging the other side shows a lack of self awareness.

What part of his religion is denying climate change? And do all Protestants believe that the earth is only 6000 years old, have to admit that both of these are news to me?

Pogue eile wrote: »
    What part of his religion is denying climate change? And do all Protestants believe that the earth is only 6000 years old, have to admit that both of these are news to me?

God controls the weather is why he is denying climate change. Different Christian religions take different aspects of the bible literally. Creation "science" and Climate denial both come from the Protestant religion.

Why are you so sensitive about it?

The poster clearly thinks those who believe in Creationism are loons. Just as relevant to mention that about a character assessment of him as it is to mention an affectation for socks or other traits somebody might have.

Why are you so sensitive about it?

The poster clearly thinks those who believe in Creationism are loons. Just as relevant to mention that about a character assessment of him as it is to mention an affectation for socks or other traits somebody might have.

I'm not sensitive about it.

People who believe in virgin births are loons too but if a religious SF member said something stupid i wouldn't add it to a post.

• Advertisement

We were in here talking about bigotry of a Unionist and you are the one, as always, calling people names and everything else.

Be kind to your neighbour and all that.

Thankfully the neighbouring island won't have a say in the vote.

Why you think they would is beyond me? It's almost like you're talking thorough your hoop on this subject.

Advertisement