Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gytftfx

The effort you go through to add extra letters to Derry to antagonise and still haven't figured out how to spell Taoiseach.

The effort you must have gone through to spell it wrong but look kinda okay is breathtaking.

Amazing. And still here as well.

And you still can't figure out why either of the incidents known as Bloody Sunday are particularly abhorrent...

The sectarianism drips off ya!
    Tá tú fliuch báite!

Calling someone sectarian because they refer to a county as the official name rather than some name back in the mid 20th century isn’t very smart of you to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The effort you go through to add extra letters to Derry to antagonise and still haven't figured out how to spell Taoiseach.

The effort you must have gone through to spell it wrong but look kinda okay is breathtaking.

And you still can't figure out why either of the incidents known as Bloody Sunday are particularly abhorrent...

Tá tú fliuch báite!

In fairness, referring to Derry by that name isn't any more inherently sectarian than us referring to it as Derry.

I'm not sure where you're from Bonnie, but I know plenty of people from the NI Unionist community without a sectarian bone in their body who call it Londonderry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Finty, stop deflecting from a state up to it's eyeballs in collusion and criminality. If you want to climb to the high moral ground with them, I ain't following.

All of what happened on this island was wrong, but the state...because it is the state, bears more responsibility and we know what they did.

Which state is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Tá tú fliuch báite!

Bonnie. You have now got so rediculous that you are accusing my iPhone spell check of sectarianism haha. Try typing Martin Maginnis and see what comes up. Also I type lon and the rest of Londonderry just happens for me.
    If i recall I also used derry in that post (now I had to make the effort to do that)

I went into this very recently in a post to explain how it is a figment of your imagination if you think in normal speak that unionists make a conscious effort to say Londonderry.

Bonnie, your need for me to be more sectarian than you is pathetic

Shoot the messenger.

I doubt they are arming them downcow...no.

Please understand what collusion is and why it is the crime it is when the state engage in it.

Just talking about arming them. I see the local paper today is telling us that the ‘good peolple’ at the Stone republican funeral armed the ira. The gun they took of Michael Stone was later used by the Ira to shoot a 6 month old baby dead.
    Talk about arming sectarian gangs!

• Advertisement

Francie. This is the post I was responding to
    “ British Home secretary last year threatened to starve Ireland in to submission with a blockade around the island. Nobody wants to be ruled by genocidal monsters I would have thought.”

A little sensationalist, would you not say.
    If you didn’t laugh you’d cry.
    To equate what this Tory mp said in the past when not even in government with the nonsense above is rediculous

The famine is over Francie.

Gytftfx wrote: »
    How do you mean collusion with the state and the IRA? We never collided with the IRA that’s a ridiculous thing to say to the goal of the army and intelligence forces throughout the whole troubles was to defeat the IRA, having informers and spies is far different to “colluding”.

A lot of people say the intelligence services used loyalist paramilitaries as proxy organizations to carry out assassinations against IRA members, Sinn Fein members and IRA/SF members families along with random catholic civilians.

Now if that is true then that is collusion at the highest level possible, but simply because the state had a few informers within the IRA that means they are “colluding” is a joke any thing the intelligence services, government and army done throughout the troubles was towards the end goal of destroying the IRA.

That is exactly the point I was making. I was simply using the term collusion as republicans like to refer differently to the work of the intelligence services in ni.
    If the army operate an agent in the ira then their story is that he was an agent who was allowed to get out of control. If they run an agent in the Uvf then it is collusion and state sanctioned murder.
    So I am fairly much in agreement with you, although I do have to say you have a slightly naive understanding of the intelligence services in the midst of a sectarian conflict of you thing everything was squeaky clean.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    In fairness, referring to Derry by that name isn't any more inherently sectarian than us referring to it as Derry.

I'm not sure where you're from Bonnie, but I know plenty of people from the NI Unionist community without a sectarian bone in their body who call it Londonderry.

And of course Bonnie knows that the official name of the city has been Londonderry for over 400 years and it is still officially Londonderry today.
    So you are correct, but that’s just bonnies way of dealing with any argument. Shoot the messenger

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

I'm from Derry, from a Protestant family. Literally nobody I know, nobody in my family (including some staunch OO types) has ever called it Londonderry. Everybody here calls it Derry, and I have to say it really sticks out like a sore thumb when you hear someone call it Londonderry. I've only heard it a handful of times in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Which state is that?

The British sate.
    Anytime somebody wants t discuss the important and sinister part we get this deflection. downcow is furiously trying to do it at the moment.

The British state, like any state had the ultimate responsibility. At any time they could have imposed the circumstances that were imposed in the GFA...AT ANY TIME in the 100 years of partition and instead they took the side of Unionism and used their tragic divide and conquer strategy and we all saw the results. Not until it rebounded on them (with Britain itself seeing the brunt of the IRA campaign did they act responsibly (and only in their own interests) to bring it to an end.

• Advertisement

I'm from Derry, from a Protestant family. Literally nobody I know, nobody in my family (including some staunch OO types) has ever called it Londonderry. Everybody here calls it Derry, and I have to say it really sticks out like a sore thumb when you hear someone call it Londonderry. I've only heard it a handful of times in the wild.

If you check back to a recent post of mine you will see that is exactly what I said. My dad was from Donegal and lived a while in derry and he always called it derry. He stood out like a sore thumb in County Down as unionists here call it Londonderry
    I guess it’s like ‘h’ and ‘heitch’. Nobody says either on purpose it’s just whatever it was called in your community. Like NI and ‘the north’
    It was bonnie was getting excited about it and claiming every unionist does it on purpose to wind up nationalists.

The British sate.
    Anytime somebody wants t discuss the important and sinister part we get this deflection. downcow is furiously trying to do it at the moment.

The British state, like any state had the ultimate responsibility. At any time they could have imposed the circumstances that were imposed in the GFA...AT ANY TIME in the 100 years of partition and instead they took the side of Unionism and used their tragic divide and conquer strategy and we all saw the results. Not until it rebounded on them (with Britain itself seeing the brunt of the IRA campaign did they act responsibly (and only in their own interests) to bring it to an end.

Francie that is very disingenuous . It was bonnie that deflected to what derry is called. But I’ll not hold my breath for the apology.

As for the sectarian campaign ending. It was the ira ended it not the British government

downcow wrote: »
    Francie that is very disingenuous . It was bonnie that deflected to what derry is called. But I’ll not hold my breath for the apology.

As for the sectarian campaign ending. It was the ira ended it not the British government

No idea what you are talking about now. I was conversing with Finty. As in a recent post attacking me on an issue, you don't seem to know who you are talking to.
    Why this was addressed to me I don't know.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116115005&postcount=3975

If you check back to a recent post of mine you will see that is exactly what I said. My dad was from Donegal and lived a while in derry and he always called it derry. He stood out like a sore thumb in County Down as unionists here call it Londonderry
    I guess it’s like ‘h’ and ‘heitch’. Nobody says either on purpose it’s just whatever it was called in your community. Like NI and ‘the north’
    It was bonnie was getting excited about it and claiming every unionist does it on purpose to wind up nationalists.

My boyfriend is from (a very loyalist town in) County Down and I've spent loads of time there over the years. I haven't heard anyone there call it Londonderry. Perhaps your father and yourself have somehow stumbled into an enclave of Uber Prods?

No idea what you are talking about now. I was conversing with Finty. As in a recent post attacking me on an issue, you don't seem to know who you are talking to.
    Why this was addressed to me I don't know.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116115005&postcount=3975

I think you are losing it Francie. This is what you said in your post
    “ Anytime somebody wants t discuss the important and sinister part we get this deflection. downcow is furiously trying to do it at the moment.”

ie you had a wee personal attack on me accusing me of deflecting and I showed you I was only responding to a personal attack by Bonnie.

My boyfriend is from (a very loyalist town in) County Down and I've spent loads of time there over the years. I haven't heard anyone there call it Londonderry. Perhaps your father and yourself have somehow stumbled into an enclave of Uber Prods?

Or perhaps you have found a boyfriend who moves in circles of people who prefer the name used 400 years ago.
    I actually don’t care what it’s called and can’t understand why nationalists have such a bee in their bonnet on it.

It seems it is always nationalists who get hot under the collar about it. I guess it is identity insecurity.
    Most prods can use either as in apprentice boys of derry

“ Anytime somebody wants t discuss the important and sinister part we get this deflection. downcow is furiously trying to do it at the moment.”

ie you had a wee personal attack on me accusing me of deflecting and I showed you I was only responding to a personal attack by Bonnie.

The deflectionary post I was talking about.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116107802&postcount=3945

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gytftfx

What people hate to admit is that most of the problems on this island for hundreds of years have stemmed from Republicans and some romantic ideology of nationalism instead of actually trying to better the conditions that exist which only really ever get bad when Republicans start to gather underground and plan to start violence.

Or perhaps you have found a boyfriend who moves in circles of people who prefer the name used 400 years ago.
    I actually don’t care what it’s called and can’t understand why nationalists have such a bee in their bonnet on it.

It seems it is always nationalists who get hot under the collar about it. I guess it is identity insecurity.
    Most prods can use either as in apprentice boys of derry

You are the poster who cannot spell names correctly, even when it is pointed out to you again and again.
    Identity insecurity you say? :):)

identity insecurity.

Some fine projecting you're doing there.

• Advertisement

Some fine projecting you're doing there.

So tell me am I wrong.
    A couple of simple questions.
    What is the official name of the Maiden city?
    Who gets most upset when the nickname they like best isn’t used?

You are the poster who cannot spell names correctly, even when it is pointed out to you again and again.
    Identity insecurity you say? :):)

Francie you are evidencing it’s for me again. Have I ever got upset in here about how anyone says anything or about how anyone spells anything? I really couldn’t care as I am comfortable in my identity.
    Some nationalist posters on here get incredibly upset about spelling and about names. You are giving me jip when I get Irish wrong. Would you give a polish person on here jip if they got English slightly wrong. I am making the effort, that’s usually ok with french people when I go on holidays

Francie you are evidencing it’s for me again. Have I ever got upset in here about how anyone says anything or about how anyone spells anything? I really couldn’t care as I am comfortable in my identity.
    Some nationalist posters on here get incredibly upset about spelling and about names. You are giving me jip when I get Irish wrong. Would you give a polish person on here jip if they got English slightly wrong. I am making the effort, that’s usually ok with french people when I go on holidays

Nobody else does it downcow to the extent and level you do it. Seems to give you pleasure, as it would anybody with identity security issues.

Maybe it is 'spellchecker' issues, who knows, never had them to the extent you seem to.

Nobody else does it downcow to the extent and level you do it. Seems to give you pleasure, as it would anybody with identity security issues.

Maybe it is 'spellchecker' issues, who knows, never had them to the extent you seem to.

francie geallaim go ndéanfaidh mé iarracht níos deacra. níl mé ag iarraidh cur isteach ort. b’fhéidir gur féidir liom seiceáil litrithe Éireannach a íoslódáil. Mo ghrá thú

So tell me am I wrong.
    A couple of simple questions.
    What is the official name of the Maiden city?
    Who gets most upset when the nickname they like best isn’t used?

Eh? I'm not disputing the official name, and I don't know who gets upset about what name. If you're trying to infer that it's Derry folk that get upset about people using Londonderry, that isn't the case at all in my experience.

You are giving me jip when I get Irish wrong. Would you give a polish person on here jip if they got English slightly wrong. I am making the effort, that’s usually ok with french people when I go on holidays

Hardly comparable to Poland or France when it's the spelling of prime minister of the island on which you live.

francie geallaim go ndéanfaidh mé iarracht níos deacra. níl mé ag iarraidh cur isteach ort. b’fhéidir gur féidir liom seiceáil litrithe Éireannach a íoslódáil. Mo ghrá thú

That kinda proves the point, if you can speak and write Irish, how would you NOT know how to spell a word like Taoiseach?

You reveal yourself inadvertently again.

Eh? I'm not disputing the official name, and I don't know who gets upset about what name. If you're trying to infer that it's Derry folk that get upset about people using Londonderry, that isn't the case at all in my experience.

Then let’s just wind back and pretend you didn’t raise the issue and we’ll all be happy and call Londonderry whatever we like.
    Can we agree on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I would`nt stress about it Downcow,I think Francie got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning because the EU had been ridiculed around the world for trying to trigger article 16.He`s been making snarky remarks across a lot of threads today.

• Advertisement

Then let’s just wind back and pretend you didn’t raise the issue and we’ll all be happy and call Londonderry whatever we like.
    Can we agree on that?

Oh my. I didn't 'raise the issue'. It's been discussed on here since yesterday.

Advertisement