Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I would`nt stress about it Downcow,I think Francie got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning because the EU had been ridiculed around the world for trying to trigger article 16.He`s been making snarky remarks across a lot of threads today.

:) I'm making snarky comments? :)
    In like Flynn was Rob trying to rescue something from the disaster that was Brexit out of something the EU never actually did on all the Brexit threads.
    Gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Oh my. I didn't 'raise the issue'. It's been discussed on here since yesterday.

Ok fair enough. I forgot that it was bonnie got upset. It had been put to bed and you awoke it again. But hey, it’s back to bed and none of us care what the other calls it. Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This one could run......... ten pages at least.....Aaaah....

I don’t have the poll as I don’t pay for the Tele, but interesting headlines.
    The vast majority of nationalists think there will be a United ireland by 2050 and the vast majority of unionists believe ni will still be in the UK in 2050.
    Somebody is going to be disappointed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    I don’t have the poll as I don’t pay for the Tele, but interesting headlines.
    The vast majority of nationalists think there will be a United ireland by 2050 and the vast majority of unionists believe ni will still be in the UK in 2050.
    Somebody is going to be disappointed!

Putting aside our differences for a second, Downcow.....can I just ask you something regarding a query in another thread (you can guess which one).

Regarding Unification, roughly how high on your list of concerns is Sainsburys versus Dunnes Stores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

3/4s of unionists believe NI will still be in the UK in 30 years
    97% of Nationalists think there will be a United Ireland.
    Quite a difference.

New poll from the Belfast telegraph today puts Dup support at a 20 year low and Sinn fein as the biggest party. A nationalist first minister in 18 months? A distinct possibility. Arlene probably get the sack soon.

Sinn fein 24%
    Dup 19%
    Alliance 18%

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Putting aside our differences for a second, Downcow.....can I just ask you something regarding a query in another thread (you can guess which one).

Regarding Unification, roughly how high on your list of concerns is Sainsburys versus Dunnes Stores?

I would try to help but I have absolutely no idea what you are getting at?

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    3/4s of unionists believe NI will still be in the UK in 30 years
    97% of Nationalists think there will be a United Ireland.
    Quite a difference.

New poll from the Belfast telegraph today puts Dup support at a 20 year low and Sinn fein as the biggest party. A nationalist first minister in 18 months? A distinct possibility. Arlene probably get the sack soon.

Sinn fein 24%
    Dup 19%
    Alliance 18%

I haven’t seen the stats but that sounds exactly as I quoted ie massive majorities.

As for dup. I have been saying for weeks on here that they are in big trouble (and I welcome it). I just wish their vote had moved to uup as opposed to the more extreme TUV.
    I don’t think Sf have moved much.
    I think a sf first minister will be great as it will shake unionism up and force a bit more strategic thinking and unionist unity.

A recent poll of alliance voters found they were 75% for remaining in the UK. If there is any shift from the dup to them then that figure must be heading towards 100%, certainly north of 80%

I would try to help but I have absolutely no idea what you are getting at?

Genuinely it isn't any sort of jab at you, Downcow. It sounded idiotic to me as well.

We had a poster suggesting that some people were used to shopping in Sainsburys rather than Dunnes or SuperValu and this would turn people against Unification.

I personally couldn't think of anyone who this would even be in their top hundred considerations, so I thought I'd ask you. I'd consider you pretty fundamentally opposed to Unification to the extent where I don't think there would be any convincing you, so I thought if it wasn't anywhere on your list of concerns, then the number of people it would matter to would be pretty much statistically insignificant.

A recent poll of alliance voters found they were 75% for remaining in the UK. If there is any shift from the dup to them then that figure must be heading towards 100%, certainly north of 80%

Big change in the Alliance attitude that. Can you link to the poll?

This one is from Jan/Feb 2020

large_alliance.jpg

• Advertisement

Genuinely it isn't any sort of jab at you, Downcow. It sounded idiotic to me as well.

We had a poster suggesting that some people were used to shopping in Sainsburys rather than Dunnes or SuperValu and this would turn people against Unification.

I personally couldn't think of anyone who this would even be in their top hundred considerations, so I thought I'd ask you. I'd consider you pretty fundamentally opposed to Unification to the extent where I don't think there would be any convincing you, so I thought if it wasn't anywhere on your list of concerns, then the number of people it would matter to would be pretty much statistically insignificant.

News to me. I don’t think I have ever been in Sainsbury’s but I’ve been in dunes and supervalue. We have (or at least had) them both
    I would say in the past there was some chill towards dunes as they were seen as Roi company.
    But in short if I made a list of 1,000 reasons to stay out of Roi then that certainly wouldn’t be one of them.

So we are in agreement

Big change in the Alliance attitude that. Can you link to the poll?

This one is from Jan/Feb 2020

large_alliance.jpg

Apologies I may have been wrong.
    This is probably what I am thinking of https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/just-29-in-northern-ireland-would-vote-for-unity-major-study-reveals-38966196.html

75% of “others” would vote for UK. Majority of alliance voters (but not what I quoted) want uk - same point though, if there is a drift from unionists to them then that can only rise.

Apologies again for misquote

Apologies I may have been wrong.
    This is probably what I am thinking of https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/just-29-in-northern-ireland-would-vote-for-unity-major-study-reveals-38966196.html

75% of “others” would vote for UK. Majority of alliance voters (but not what I quoted) want uk - same point though, if there is a drift from unionists to them then that can only rise.

Apologies again for misquote

The question asked was 'would you vote for a UI tomorrow'. Not remotely the same question.

News to me. I don’t think I have ever been in Sainsbury’s but I’ve been in dunes and supervalue. We have (or at least had) them both
    I would say in the past there was some chill towards dunes as they were seen as Roi company.
    But in short if I made a list of 1,000 reasons to stay out of Roi then that certainly wouldn’t be one of them.

So we are in agreement

Thanks, Downcow. I suspected as much (in fact I specifically mentioned that in my entire time living back in the North, I'd shopped in both Dunnes and SuperValu more than I had in Sainsburys), but I just wanted to check to make sure I hadn't missed some odd supermarket commitment.

The food safety inspectors have been removed from Larne port tonight until further notice amid concerns for their safety. This is a sad outcome of Irish Sea border. I hope our community can seek change through politics or even civil disobedience, but I really hope that not a single person loses their life because of this ill thought through protocol

The food safety inspectors have been removed from Larne port tonight until further notice amid concerns for their safety. This is a sad outcome of Irish Sea border. I hope our community can seek change through politics or even civil disobedience, but I really hope that not a single person loses their life because of this ill thought through protocol

I'd imagine the checks will be moved to the British side of the Irish Sea if there is a genuine theat. It was their decision to leave after all.

And now removed from Belfast as well.
    Probably what’s most ominous is that it is based on intelligence discovery that workers personal details are being collected including car regs, rather than due to issue of statements from paramilitaries

I'd imagine the checks will be moved to the British side of the Irish Sea if there is a genuine theat. It was their decision to leave after all.

Yeah that’s a possibility alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Yeah that’s a possibility alright.

I think that was suggested in the beginning that the checks could be on GB.

It is certainly unfortunate that threats of violence have been resorted to due to decisions made by the British government. I hope that the naivety of those involved isn't taken advantage of to somehow try and blame decisions made by the Tory government (with support of the DUP) on anyone else.

I am fully aware that you've been highly critical of the DUP on this, so I'm sure you'll agree.

• Advertisement

It is certainly unfortunate that threats of violence have been resorted to due to.decisions made by the British government.

Listening to Poots and Jim Allister on UTV, no wonder people are getting wound up to violence when Billy Hutchinson sounds like the reasonable one.
    Unionism tearing itself apart.

Listening to Poots and Jim Allister on UTV, no wonder people are getting wound up to violence when Billy Hutchinson sounds like the reasonable one.

I hit post halfway through my post, so the totality of it isnt contained in your quote, but I would genuinely have a lot more time for Billy Hutchinson than I ever had for Edwin Poots or Jim Allister. While I'd fundamentally disagree with Billy on an awful lot of my politics, I have a much better understanding of where he is coming from than that shower of ivory tower ar*eholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Move the checks to GB ports in my opinion.

It is certainly unfortunate that threats of violence have been resorted to due to decisions made by the British government. I hope that the naivety of those involved isn't taken advantage of to somehow try and blame decisions made by the Tory government (with support of the DUP) on anyone else.

I am fully aware that you've been highly critical of the DUP on this, so I'm sure you'll agree.

Unfortunately we are witnessing the outcome of nationalists implying violence if there was ever an Irish border, and unionists saw it work effectively for them.

Loyalists gangsters are no better that the ira hence I hope no family is left grieving over this.

Move the checks to GB ports in my opinion.

I think the problem needs sorted rather than just addressing the symptoms

Unfortunately we are witnessing the outcome of nationalists implying violence if there was ever an Irish border, and unionists saw it work effectively for them.

Loyalists gangsters are no better that the ira hence I hope no family is left grieving over this.

Always, always somebody else's fault. Poots and Allister blaming everyone but themselves too.

Time for Unionism to mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Paisley was pretty much inciting as well. But he's a Trump supporter so it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Always, always somebody else's fault. Poots and Allister blaming everyone but themselves too.

Time for Unionism to mature.

So Francie. Honest answer please. If the negotiations had lead to a hard border in Ireland and it had descended into trouble, would you have said that the problem was caused exclusively by Irish nationalists?

So Francie. Honest answer please. If the negotiations had lead to a hard border in Ireland and it had descended into trouble, would you have said that the problem was caused exclusively by Irish nationalists?

The fault lies with Brexit downcow and those hellbent on it despite being told what it would mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,764 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Checks have to be carried out and it is far easier to do this at the ports. Move the checks to GB ports if they can't do it up there.

Advertisement