Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    Unfortunately we are witnessing the outcome of nationalists implying violence if there was ever an Irish border, and unionists saw it work effectively for them.

Loyalists gangsters are no better that the ira hence I hope no family is left grieving over this.

No, Downcow....we're experiencing the inevitable outcome of an English Tory decision to withdraw from the EU.

The majority of the populace of NI didn't agree to this. You can make your, 'uk wide vote' argument, and I'll stand by it and acknowledge it, but you sure as hell won't try and put the blame for the Brexit fallout on my community. Looking at the numbers, this is all on your community, forced through by a Tory government supported by the DUP, own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

This one is from Jan/Feb 2020

large_alliance.jpg

Wow, that's massive, and if you add in 100% of Sinn Fein voters + the majority of SDLP voters, then they will surely be leaving the UK within the next five or ten years?

All the talk is that Sinn Fein will be by far the largest party in NI in the coming years, Nationalists & Republicans will also be in the majority, all this means there can only be one outcome, and that is pulling NI out of Brexitland, and fully integrating with this State.

Yes, I'm sure there will be many who will miss being connected to Britain as they wave goodbye to their NHS, their free dental care, their Pound notes, their Sainsbury's and their Asdas.

... but they'll then finally be free of Britain, and Britain will be free of them!

And we will all live happily ever after, with two totally seperate islands, one Island Irish and 100% in the EU, wjile England & Wales live in Brexitland, while Scotland also leaves the UK and applies to rejoin the EU < head spinning stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Honest answer please.

Given the choice between Irish Sea checks or trying to enforce a 500 kilometre border with over 300 crossings, tens-of-thousands of movements of people, goods, and animals, daily, the former was the better of two bad options.

Do you accept this?

A 'yes' or 'no' answer will suffice.

And we will all live happily ever after, with two totally seperate islands

The tragedy of Irish Unionism is that had they not separated the Irish nation they'd have kept the rest of the country close to Britain politically. Now with 100 years of divergence, turbo-charged by Brexit, Ireland will be quite different to Britain.

Despite the above, there's literally nowhere else in the entire world that a British person could be that would feel less foreign to them than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Given the choice between Irish Sea checks or trying to enforce a 500 kilometre border with over 300 crossings, tens-of-thousands of movements of people, goods, and animals, daily, the former was the better of two bad options.

Do you accept this?

A 'yes' or 'no' answer will suffice.

No one answered my question but I will answer yours There were many more that two black and white choices. You are asking me do I want something painted black or white when I world prefer it yellow or blue

• Advertisement

The danger is that the genie gets out of the box and it takes us another 30 years to get it put back in. worrying times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Lamp or bottle, not box :)

But I agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And there’s a stir up on the heathery hills, already.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

And now removed from Belfast as well.
    Probably what’s most ominous is that it is based on intelligence discovery that workers personal details are being collected including car regs, rather than due to issue of statements from paramilitaries

They need to find and arrest these stupid idiots asap before they actually hurt someone, threatening people for just doing their job is not on. Pig ignorant gobshìtes are trying to intimidate others purely because they're too ignorant to realise all this is because of Brexit.

Infini wrote: »
    They need to find and arrest these stupid idiots asap before they actually hurt someone, threatening people for just doing their job is not on. Pig ignorant gobshìtes are trying to intimidate others purely because they're too ignorant to realise all this is because of Brexit.

That’s the way things are often ‘sorted’ in that region.

You don’t like something ,you threaten people doing their job.

United Ireland..............:D. ..... what a joke based on that fccuhkerry.

• Advertisement

They'll just move the checks to the other side of the Irish Sea or maybe down to Dublin where they'll be glad of the jobs.

The problem for unionist violence is that they're kinda in checkmate. I've been asking here for a decade what the goal of loyalist paramilitaries would be and nobody has an answer.

They'll just move the checks to the other side of the Irish Sea or maybe down to Dublin where they'll be glad of the jobs.

The problem for unionist violence is that they're kinda in checkmate. I've been asking here for a decade what the goal of loyalist paramilitaries would be and nobody has an answer.

Be allowed to perpetuate the conditions to carry on with their racketeering and criminal activity is probably a good answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

People are hysterical about a united ireland. Like it's a dead cert, it isn't necessarily. It's more likely than before but in no way guaranteed. I actually think unionists are overreacting a wee bit about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭Field east

Wow, that's massive, and if you add in 100% of Sinn Fein voters + the majority of SDLP voters, then they will surely be leaving the UK within the next five or ten years?

All the talk is that Sinn Fein will be by far the largest party in NI in the coming years, Nationalists & Republicans will also be in the majority, all this means there can only be one outcome, and that is pulling NI out of Brexitland, and fully integrating with this State.

Yes, I'm sure there will be many who will miss being connected to Britain as they wave goodbye to their NHS, their free dental care, their Pound notes, their Sainsbury's and their Asdas.

... but they'll then finally be free of Britain, and Britain will be free of them!

And we will all live happily ever after, with two totally seperate islands, one Island Irish and 100% in the EU, wjile England & Wales live in Brexitland, while Scotland also leaves the UK and applies to rejoin the EU < head spinning stuff :)
    Did you forget to say ‘goodbye’ to the circa €50 Billion subsidy NI gets annually from the British exchequer?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    People are hysterical about a united ireland. Like it's a dead cert, it isn't necessarily. It's more likely than before but in no way guaranteed. I actually think unionists are overreacting a wee bit about it all.

I agree some unionists are overreacting about it.
    There were always checks on animals etc and I think a lot of the other stuff will settle down.
    Unfortunately we live in a divided society and, in exactly the same way as nationalists panicked when the Eu were about to introduce hard borders on island, the unionists panic when they see hard borders in Irish Sea.
    There is still zero empathy from many on both sides about the fears of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    I hit post halfway through my post, so the totality of it isnt contained in your quote, but I would genuinely have a lot more time for Billy Hutchinson than I ever had for Edwin Poots or Jim Allister. While I'd fundamentally disagree with Billy on an awful lot of my politics, I have a much better understanding of where he is coming from than that shower of ivory tower ar*eholes.

Always had time for him myself.

It's not that hard to believe when you accept that he's from the Ervine school, for want of a better phrase.

There's actual cogent and educated thought put into their discussions.

And as a man who perpetrated unspeakable horrors and violence on others, you can be damn sure he's not whipping anybody up to go down that road again. Amazing what knowledge and experience can bring to the table.

Poots has now also withdrawn DAERA workers.
    It’s very unfortunate that he didn’t do this a few days ago when asked by the people , instead of doing it in reaction to violent gangsters. This is the type of action that spurred on the gangsters of the ira and we should have learnt something 50 years later

I agree some unionists are overreacting about it.
    There were always checks on animals etc and I think a lot of the other stuff will settle down.
    Unfortunately we live in a divided society and, in exactly the same way as nationalists panicked when the Eu were about to introduce hard borders on island, the unionists panic when they see hard borders in Irish Sea.
    There is still zero empathy from many on both sides about the fears of the other.

The checks have been in place for a month, so what exactly had changed that threats were issued now?

It wouldn't have been the ott rhetoric espoused by Unionist leaders the last few days?

Poots has now also withdrawn DAERA workers.
    It’s very unfortunate that he didn’t do this a few days ago when asked by the people , instead of doing it in reaction to violent gangsters. This is the type of action that spurred on the gangsters of the ira and we should have learnt something 50 years later

Standard mention of the IRA... ✓

This is Unionism's baby. Would you bloody well own it for once.

The checks have been in place for a month, so what exactly had changed that threats were issued now?

It wouldn't have been the ott rhetoric espoused by Unionist leaders the last few days?

Haha. What twisting. You are out of touch if you think it’s only the last few days. Their has been serious pressure on politicians from the people for some time.

As for checks, many have been in place for decades, so cool heads are needed.

• Advertisement

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomMcTague/status/1356524099691040769

This is why the situation is tricky

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Poots:

'In consultation with my staff I have decided to withdraw staff from Belfast and Larne ports tonight. There safety remains paramount. I have spoke to HMG Ministers and outlined the issues of concern.'

This man is barely literate. Embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Loyalists complaining about their favourite 'British' food missing from supermarkets shelves because of their Brexit, threaten workers involved in helping process said 'British' food through the ports and onto the supermarkets thus leaving them with even less of their favourite 'British' food in the supermarkets - talk about a bunch of dumb f**kers.

Tell Irvine, Stitt and all the other 'community workers' that if the threats aren't lifted the funding for their cushy little community group scams schemes will be withdrawn immediately.

In the meantime switch the shipments to Warrenpoint and Dublin ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,208 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Loyalists complaining about their favourite 'British' food missing from supermarkets shelves because of their Brexit, threaten workers involved in helping process said 'British' food through the ports and onto the supermarkets thus leaving them with even less of their favourite 'British' food in the supermarkets - talk about a bunch of dumb f**kers.

Tell Irvine, Stitt and all the other 'community workers' that if the threats aren't lifted the funding for their cushy little community group scams schemes will be withdrawn immediately.

In the meantime switch the shipments to Warrenpoint and Dublin ports.

That's probably all that will happen here...more delays, more shortages and probably if violence does happen more job losses as they simply do the checks on the other side in Britain.

£250,000 per annum Ian Paisley barely able to contain his pleasure at the prospect of young Protestants/Unionists causing trouble while former Loyalist paramilitary Jim Wilson is pleading for calm and for people to not risk their future.

£250,000 per annum Ian Paisley barely able to contain his pleasure at the prospect of young Protestants/Unionists causing trouble while former Loyalist paramilitary Jim Wilson is pleading for calm and for people to not risk their future.

Jim Allister could do with getting his collar felt too. Straying very close to incitement.

And these are the bunch we are keen to unite with.......keep walkin ’ bhoys.

And these are the bunch we are keen to unite with.......keep walkin ’ bhoys.

We owe it to our fellow countrymen/women to rescue them from 'NI' when they vote for for Ireland to be United, it's the moral thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,859 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We owe it to our fellow countrymen/women to rescue them from 'NI' when they vote for for Ireland to be United, it's the moral thing to do.

QD9_DBcMEWgZhwmzlY9DFPBaOL15auhEmKa9OoTqMb7DOyd53nw5mSqoI9IxokR27ARBCVR7NByyxFcR40ictKeh2SWYpqejz25Afvxi8kIXdkht

Its a no from me. A state in irreversible decline, a failed state.

• Advertisement

Absolutely Tom, consigning them to this (allowing Unionism to win) would be worse than consigning them to partition. We'll have plenty down here who want to turn the lazy eye the other way, but we cannot do it...snookered. Not if we want to stay as full members of the EU. Moderate Unionism now needs pressure put on it to condemn this and to accept that the current arrangement (The Protocol) is the only viable solution to the brainfart of Brexit.

Advertisement