Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Gytftfx wrote: »
    There is absolutely no way for as long as the sky is blue King James will reign in Ulster.

Hate to break it to you, but he's been dead for over 400 years. I don't think anyone is holding their breath on him reigning anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gytftfx

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, but he's been dead for over 400 years. I don't think anyone is holding their breath on him reigning anywhere.

And his legacy lives on to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,210 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

And his legacy lives on to this day.

Tolerance and religious freedom? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Jeez. Some moon units in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

• Advertisement

downcow wrote: »
    ???

You were wrong there too.

You were wrong there too.

I don’t think I was. But I am sure you are going to show me otherwise.

I don’t think I was. But I am sure you are going to show me otherwise.

Whatever downcow. Whatever. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Whaddya think about the NIO meeting with Loyalist paramilitaries?

Just read a bit about it. If sitting down and talking to those *mod snip* convinces them not to go on a spree of bombings, shootings and murders then great. Same as the GFA. It convinced most of the cnuts in SF/ IRA to stop killing people. Unfortunately some still enjoy it.

To be clear, I think all the members of the paramilitaries (Republican and Loyalist) and their belligerent fanboys, should be dropped in the middle of the Atlantic with no life preservers and told to swim home. That way the rest of us can get on with living in the 21st century.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Just read a bit about it. If sitting down and talking to those *mod snip* convinces them not to go on a spree of bombings, shootings and murders then great. Same as the GFA. It convinced most of the cnuts in SF/ IRA to stop killing people. Unfortunately some still enjoy it.

To be clear, I think all the members of the paramilitaries (Republican and Loyalist) and their belligerent fanboys, should be dropped in the middle of the Atlantic with no life preservers and told to swim home. That way the rest of us can get on with living in the 21st century.

The British stopped killing people too...don't forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

There have been many decent Irish people/Catholics like John Hume who always knew his place, .

Condescending colonial mindset. I really worry for your mental once we have a 32 county Republic. Hopefully you'll know your place before then.

At least you are fair. If a little lazy and simplistic.
    I am interested who you include in their ‘fanboys’?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Whaddya think about the NIO meeting with Loyalist paramilitaries?

Dialogue is the way to go in Northern Ireland. Anything else is a backwards step.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

'Loyalists' are obviously loyal to the British Crown. The DUP, the main proponents in NI of Brexit 'sunny uplands' are warning that loyal British subjects are likely to turn to violence because Her Majesty's Government made a sovereign decision to place a border on the Irish sea. If the same British Government move the border checks to British ports will the loyalists then attack their fellow British workers on their British 'mainland'?

Sounds like a winning strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Reunification will never happen for as long the sky is blue King James will reign in Ulster.

King James was the defeated king.

McMurphy wrote: »

oops, so he was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

At least you are fair. If a little lazy and simplistic.
    I am interested who you include in their ‘fanboys’?

Their fanboys are the ones that support, justify or excuse the terrorists. Those that say it was bad but the other side did .... All those people can GTFO as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Dialogue is the way to go in Northern Ireland. Anything else is a backwards step.
    Really?

I don't recall your criticism of the NI secretary refusing to speak to nationalists nor your issues with unionists ignoring calls for Dialogue with Dublin over the NI protocol.

Their fanboys are the ones that support, justify or excuse the terrorists. Those that say it was bad but the other side did .... All those people can GTFO as well.

And I'm sure you're not including those that aspire to have a UI in that cohort.

Would you include everyone who votes for the political wing of the ira, a sectarian paramilitary group?

Ps. I would guess it’s them doing the assassinating in Belfast tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 19,569 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmm..lot of anger here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Gytftfx

King James reigned during the colonization of Ulster which was then the most rebellious part of Ireland which lived mainly free from British rule

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I'm absolutely thrilled to see NI businesses revitalised by their unique position-long may it continue.

"Brexit: 'My NI business now has the best of both worlds' - BBC News" https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-55942076?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16125170824373&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I'm absolutely thrilled to see NI businesses revitalised by their unique position-long may it continue.

"Brexit: 'My NI business now has the best of both worlds' - BBC News" https://www-bbc-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-55942076?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16125170824373&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

What's your take on that article Rob?

Reads to me like some businesses are struggling due to the implications of brexit, and others are doing well.

The ones that are doing well, are the ones that are doing business with the 26 counties. Others seem to be complaining that their businesses are now struggling due to difficulties with doing business with companies based in Britain.

Seems to me like plenty of business owners are having difficulty doing business with companies who have the same parliament and use the same currency, while it's easier to do business with ones based in the 26 counties.

How many of those business owners voted for brexit I wonder?

How many of them will be pleased with the predicament they now find themselves in?

What's your take on that article Rob?

Reads to me like some businesses are struggling due to the implications of brexit, and others are doing well.

The ones that are doing well, are the ones that are doing business with the 26 counties. Others seem to be complaining that their businesses are now struggling due to difficulties with doing business with companies based in Britain.

Seems to me like plenty of business owners are having difficulty doing business with companies who have the same parliament and use the same currency, while it's easier to do business with ones based in the 26 counties.

How many of those business owners voted for brexit I wonder?

How many of them will be pleased with the predicament they now find themselves in?

Fair comment although I thought the article says they have also increased business with mainland UK.I did see some companies have experienced difficulties but believe anything which gives NI business a boost is a plus
    whether the increased business is with the Republic or mainland UK .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A severe drought would probably be good for someone who sells bottled water, a plague of rats would probably be good for someone in the pest control business....I'd stop short of describing drought or a plague of rats as revitalising businesses.

The article reads like a pretty poor spin piece to me. Some people will of course find new opportunities, and fair play to them, make hay while the sun shines and all that.....but the reality on the ground for most people I know is very different.

If the current arrangement is so revitalising for NI, why is Michael Gove writing to the EU seeking to renegotiate? If it's all sunny uplands, what exactly was Boris Johnson talking about when he described teething problems (and later walked back to acknowledging were intrinsic issues with the deal they agreed in haste)?

So yes, a handful of people will do well out of this, but to the majority the whole thing is just another bus to be thrown under.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    A severe drought would probably be good for someone who sells bottled water, a plague of rats would probably be good for someone in the pest control business....I'd stop short of describing drought or a plague of rats as revitalising businesses.

The article reads like a pretty poor spin piece to me. Some people will of course find new opportunities, and fair play to them, make hay while the sun shines and all that.....but the reality on the ground for most people I know is very different.

If the current arrangement is so revitalising for NI, why is Michael Gove writing to the EU seeking to renegotiate? If it's all sunny uplands, what exactly was Boris Johnson talking about when he described teething problems (and later walked back to acknowledging were intrinsic issues with the deal they agreed in haste)?

So yes, a handful of people will do well out of this, but to the majority the whole thing is just another bus to be thrown under.

As you pointed out,the UK has agreed a deal with the EU.Whether the EU is acting in good faith is a matter of contention I'd say,the general perception here is they're not.Fish exporters having to fill in seventy plus pages of paperwork is probably turning fairly pro EU observers within the UK against the EU,let's see what happens in July when UK customs procedures kick in.

As you pointed out,the UK has agreed a deal with the EU.Whether the EU is acting in good faith is a matter of contention I'd say,the general perception here is they're not.Fish exporters having to fill in seventy plus pages of paperwork is probably turning fairly pro EU observers within the UK against the EU,let's see what happens in July when UK customs procedures kick in.

The general perception where?

Which bit of 'there are rules' did you not get in the 4 years?

What does it matter if people in the UK are pro or anti the EU? You are out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What did the general public think was the difference between being in a customs union would be to not being in a customs union? Equally, what did they think was the difference between being in the single market or not being in it?

If you are not in the customs union, you have to fill in a customs entry and make declarations that can have serious implications. If you are in the single market, your systems in your state maintains all the strict regimes that are policed within the SM, but may or may not be policed.

Now when you are outside both the SM and CU it has implications because previous assumptions no longer apply, and you must now prove that standards are complied with and tariffs, if applicable, are paid, but importantly, if they do not apply that is certified by the customs entry.

This was never understood until the shock, on 1st of Jan 2021, when the rules of the Brexit deal were applied. Certainly very few of those who voted for Brexit understood this, nor expected it.

Would they have voted for this?

The people in the north will hopefully remember who was responsible for the pickle they find themselves in come the next election.

https://twitter.com/brendanhughes64/status/1357465134596304903?s=19

• Advertisement

What did the general public think was the difference between being in a customs union would be to not being in a customs union? Equally, what did they think was the difference between being in the single market or not being in it?

If you are not in the customs union, you have to fill in a customs entry and make declarations that can have serious implications. If you are in the single market, your systems in your state maintains all the strict regimes that are policed within the SM, but may or may not be policed.

Now when you are outside both the SM and CU it has implications because previous assumptions no longer apply, and you must now prove that standards are complied with and tariffs, if applicable, are paid, but importantly, if they do not apply that is certified by the customs entry.

This was never understood until the shock, on 1st of Jan 2021, when the rules of the Brexit deal were applied. Certainly very few of those who voted for Brexit understood this, nor expected it.

Would they have voted for this?

I pointed out that many people in the UK who were/are unhappy with brexit feel the EU is acting in bad faith.Deliveries refused because a fish tail is sticking out or a consignment is a kilo over,then we hear about smirking EU customs officials..Its obvious the EU is trying to prove a point here which ultimately may prove to be counter productive. As EU companies are exploring alternative routes,increased business opportunities,don't be surprised when the UK or UK companies do the same elsewhere.
    I also understand there are disgruntled republicans who are annoyed when NI has any success as this doesn't suit their agenda.
    You aren't in that group Sam but I am amazed they would be happy if NI struggled rather than kicked on.

Advertisement