Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,211 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I pointed out that many people in the UK who were/are unhappy with brexit feel the EU is acting in bad faith.Deliveries refused because a fish tail is sticking out or a consignment is a kilo over,then we hear about smirking EU customs officials..Its obvious the EU is trying to prove a point here which ultimately may prove to be counter productive. As EU companies are exploring alternative routes,increased business opportunities,don't be surprised when the UK or UK companies do the same elsewhere.
    I also understand there are disgruntled republicans who are annoyed when NI has any success as this doesn't suit their agenda.
    You aren't in that group Sam but I am amazed they would be happy if NI struggled rather than kicked on.

You were asked and failed to answer why we in the EU should care how anyone in the UK feels?

I feel sorry for those who wanted to remain. But that is as far as it goes I'm afraid.

I want us to uphold of the integrity of SM and CU. Tough if the UK don't like that and want to pull out extreme example of the rules operating. Tough. You made the bed etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You were asked and failed to answer why we in the EU should care how anyone in the UK feels?

I feel sorry for those who wanted to remain. But that is as far as it goes I'm afraid.

I want us to uphold of the integrity of SM and CU. Tough if the UK don't like that and want to pull out extreme example of the rules operating. Tough. You made the bed etc etc

I don't care what you do or don't think francie,you constantly post about what you think about the UK. What I do find extraordinary is that you appear annoyed at the prospect of NI doing well out of the current situation as it doesn't suit your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

McMurphy wrote: »
    The people in the north will hopefully remember who was responsible for the pickle they find themselves in come the next election.

It's a nice thought, but I wouldn't count on it. We still need to keep the Shinners out after all. Any problems that occur along the way? We'll just blame the EU. Any threats of violence? As McCausland recently pointed out, and I quote, 'threats of violence are wrong, but only copied from Republicans'.

I don't care what you do or don't think francie,you constantly post about what you think about the UK. What I do find extraordinary is that you appear annoyed at the prospect of NI doing well out of the current situation as it doesn't suit your agenda.

This is an accusation you keep making.

Can you back it up please?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I pointed out that many people in the UK who were/are unhappy with brexit feel the EU is acting in bad faith.Deliveries refused because a fish tail is sticking out or a consignment is a kilo over,then we hear about smirking EU customs officials..Its obvious the EU is trying to prove a point here which ultimately may prove to be counter productive. As EU companies are exploring alternative routes,increased business opportunities,don't be surprised when the UK or UK companies do the same elsewhere.
    I also understand there are disgruntled republicans who are annoyed when NI has any success as this doesn't suit their agenda.
    You aren't in that group Sam but I am amazed they would be happy if NI struggled rather than kicked on.

A very prosperous NI would be a great result if that is what transpires from Brexit.

Much of their lacklustre economic performance results from their insistence with their failure to exploit the single market advantages by increasing their business ties with the Republic. It works for agriculture but not much else.

The constant demand and expectation of handouts from HMG is part of the problem. DUP support for Mrs. May came with a price tag of £1 billion - so much for loyalty (to the half-crown).

• Advertisement

This is an accusation you keep making.

Can you back it up please?

I posted an article about NI companies doing well,picking up business in the unique situation they find themselves in.A number of posters expressed an opinion on this and civil discussion followed .If anyone is in any doubt about your opinion of the UK and any potential success for NI in the unique position they are in they only have to look at your posts.

A very prosperous NI would be a great result if that is what transpires from Brexit.

Much of their lacklustre economic performance results from their insistence with their failure to exploit the single market advantages by increasing their business ties with the Republic. It works for agriculture but not much else.

The constant demand and expectation of handouts from HMG is part of the problem. DUP support for Mrs. May came with a price tag of £1 billion - so much for loyalty (to the half-crown).

I agree Sam,an NI increasing trade with the Republic is a good thing imo.I am concerned about customs issues of course but am genuinely pleased there are NI businesses taking advantage of their unique opportunity to prosper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I agree Sam,an NI increasing trade with the Republic is a good thing imo.I am concerned about customs issues of course but am genuinely pleased there are NI businesses taking advantage of their unique opportunity to prosper.

There are no unique advantages for NI post Brexit to take advantages with regard to trade with the Republic - nothing has changed. The border between both NI and the Republic is exactly the same after the 1st of Jan 2021 as it was before - it does not exist as far as Brexit is concerned.

It is all in the mind of NI people. They need to have a more open mind - as open as the border.

I posted an article about NI companies doing well,picking up business in the unique situation they find themselves in.A number of posters expressed an opinion on this and civil discussion followed .If anyone is in any doubt about your opinion of the UK and any potential success for NI in the unique position they are in they only have to look at your posts.

Where have I said anything about 'potential success' for NI.

I HAVE pointed out to downcow here that Unionist angst/bleating/ and destabilising will deter any company of significant scale from investing. Does that sound like someone who is wishing NI to fail?

You engage in lazy tropes all over this site Rob in defence of the UK political establishment who I unashamedly blame for negative effects on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Wait, is the NI Protocol good or bad now?

I can't work out which way you've flipped on it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Where have I said anything about 'potential success' for NI.

You only ever talk of failure with regard to ni.
    Sorry one exception. You accepted when corned that UK has been very successful with covid vaccine

downcow wrote: »
    You only ever talk of failure with regard to ni.
    Sorry one exception. You accepted when corned that UK has been very successful with covid vaccine

NI has failed as an entity. This is why we are where we are.
    It needs an international agreement between two sovereign countries to function and it now needs a special protocol to allow the rest of the UK to function outside the EU.
    Partition has been nothing but trouble for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The border between both NI and the Republic is exactly the same after the 1st of Jan 2021 as it was before - it does not exist as far as Brexit is concerned.

Not quite true unfortunately.

The bare bones goods-only deal the Tories managed to inflict on the UK means that the north's service economy has to be separated from the southern one. Banks, for example, will no longer be able to operate on an all-Ireland basis.

Also a southern based company will not be able to send a non-Irish employee north on a job. A Spanish back-packer will be able to work in a pub in Donegal but not in Derry, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Banks have split their operations long before now and would have to do with SEPA I would say moreso than Brexit

See how the former Northern Bank was split from NIB and only one of those exists still.

Same as how UB Ireland are a different entity to UB NI and could well be sold off!!!

The bare bones goods-only deal the Tories managed to inflict on the UK means that the north's service economy has to be separated from the southern one. Banks, for example, will no longer be able to operate on an all-Ireland basis.

Also a southern based company will not be able to send a non-Irish employee north on a job. A Spanish back-packer will be able to work in a pub in Donegal but not in Derry, and so on.

I did not think that was the case - the NI Protocol is quite clearly misrepresented.

NI has failed as an entity. This is why we are where we are.
    It needs an international agreement between two sovereign countries to function and it now needs a special protocol to allow the rest of the UK to function outside the EU.
    Partition has been nothing but trouble for all concerned.

Let’s not go through all this again. Roi had failed miserably and needed an international agreement with 26 other sovereign countries and loads of charity to function.
    If you live in a greenhouse (pardon the pun)

There’s a few international young people work with me in County Down, but they dare not take a day trip to county Louth for fear of arrest and deportation

Let’s not go through all this again. Roi had failed miserably and needed an international agreement with 26 other sovereign countries and loads of charity to function.
    If you live in a greenhouse (pardon the pun)

Not really bothered what you think of us. This isn't a hair pulling spat in the school yard.

I have given my reasons. By the way, Northern Ireland is not a party to that international agreement...it is subject to it.

Not really bothered what you think of us. This isn't a hair pulling spat in the school yard.

I have given my reasons. By the way, Northern Ireland is not a party to that international agreement...it is subject to it.
    .....and I am not really bothered what you think of us!

.....and I am not really bothered what you think of us!

That's why you commented. :)

• Advertisement

I was opposed to this petition, primarily as it was in the name of Arlene foster and that would be a chill factor to many unionists.
    I’m quite surprised and pleased at what it has achieved since it was started just yesterday

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/573209

Get signing Francie

That's why you commented. :)

Yip

I was opposed to this petition, primarily as it was in the name of Arlene foster and that would be a chill factor to many unionists.
    I’m quite surprised and pleased at what it has achieved since it was started just yesterday

Get signing Francie

Likely filled out by bots. Hardly anything to be proud about.

https://twitter.com/MorpheusNI/status/1357739480942264320?s=19

Get signing Francie

It's fairly pathetic TBH. As I said on the other thread, that should have at least half million to a million signatures immediately if there was the level of concern Unionists are talking up.

Lurleen.
    I normally think a lot of sam and I agree it was a distraction tactic by the DUP (I would have liked to have seen a united unionist one) but for sam to say it was a week when it was only launched yesterday.

As for the international signings. It shows some people are rattled. I haven’t looked but the countries mentioned have probable 1 or 2 votes each. The international votes equate to likely ex pats when you examine them eg many countries have 1 vote only but Roi has about 80 as does Spain and Canada about 20 last time I looked.

But it is pathetic for that tweet to raise countries that got I signing in a petition of over 100,000 hahaha talk about being spooked.

Lurleen.
    I normally think a lot of sam and I agree it was a distraction tactic by the DUP (I would have liked to have seen a united unionist one) but for sam to say it was a week when it was only launched yesterday.

As for the international signings. It shows some people are rattled. I haven’t looked but the countries mentioned have probable 1 or 2 votes each. The international votes equate to likely ex pats when you examine them eg many countries have 1 vote only but Roi has about 80 as does Spain and Canada about 20 last time I looked.

But it is pathetic for that tweet to raise countries that got I signing in a petition of over 100,000 hahaha talk about being spooked.

Lurleen.

Yeh spooked alright.

'We DEMAND changes this week' says Gove.

'See you next week Michael and we'll look at first, your failures in implementing the protocol properly, and then a few tweaks if necessary...bye for now'.

Spooked alright. :)

Lurleen.

Your mental gymnastics are something else. I said it's not something to be proud of, and from that you infer I'm rattled and spooked?

It's fairly pathetic TBH. As I said on the other thread, that should have at least half million to a million signatures immediately if there was the level of concern Unionists are talking up.

Haha.
    I was looking to see what average numbers were on these petitions and I came across this.
    Come on now own up Francie, Bonnie, Junkyard, who signed it
    Hahaha
    https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/18197

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Get signing Francie

all thats shows is that unionism hasn't a clue what its at. Unionists may realise that they cant bully the rest of the UK the way they bullied nationalists

Advertisement