Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

The end result is irrelevant?

Sheesh, so women's reproductive rights are merely a political football to kick around so you can belatedly try and get one up on Sinn Féin?

That's a pretty awful stance to have.

Who yet again I noticed you've continued to bring into the conversation. They may need to take out a restraining order at this point.

End result is irrelevant in the context of SF not having an all island approach and engaging in partitionist politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

SF are tied into unified Ireland because they never shut up about it. It will never happen if left to SF as they can’t even arrange a sit down with the PBP boyos. Mary Lou will crow about it on tv and hope some of the actually political parties do something about

Of course if they don’t she will say it’s all their fault and that’s why it never happened. They are a joke of a party and she really is been shown up as a poor leader. Then again who from the rabble could stand up and run the party

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SF are tied into unified Ireland because they never shut up about it. It will never happen if left to SF as they can’t even arrange a sit down with the PBP boyos. Mary Lou will crow about it on tv and hope some of the actually political parties do something about

Of course if they don’t she will say it’s all their fault and that’s why it never happened. They are a joke of a party and she really is been shown up as a poor leader. Then again who from the rabble could stand up and run the party

Exactly- other than a handful, there is no one most sensible people want running the country.

Far too many shadowy figures operating in the background.

Exactly- other than a handful, there is no one most sensible people want running the country.

Far too many shadowy figures operating in the background.

They had a chance of running Ireland and they ran into the shadows till the real politicians came up with a plan, then SF pop back out complaining

They are more afraid than the rest of us at been given power because they know they will make a balls of it, just look at North. Three years without a government, another example of how poor Mary Lou is. Any country in the world ever go 3 years with their government shut down because of children bickering?

And we are supposed to believe they know how to unite Ireland? Your having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mehico

And we are supposed to believe they know how to unite Ireland? Your having a laugh.

It's not up to SF though, most of the main political parties on the island aspire to unification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SF are tied into unified Ireland because they never shut up about it.

Only a few posts ago they were happy to underscore partition according to this thread. I wish our partitionists could get a cohesive story going here.

I am presuming Shef that as a FFer, that you will vote against the party in a border poll?

mehico wrote: »
    It's not up to SF though, most of the main political parties on the island aspire to unification.

Majoiritry also know the Northg is a mess and something the Rep of Ireland cannot afford. Let the brits pay for it

Only a few posts ago they were happy to underscore partition according to this thread. I wish our partitionists could get a cohesive story going here.

I am presuming Shef that as a FFer, that you will vote against the party in a border poll?

Whats a partitionist?

Whats a partitionist?

Somebody who acts or agitates to partition.

Can you answer my question? As a FFer will you go against the party in a border poll?

Somebody who acts or agitates to partition.

Can you answer my question? As a FFer will you go against the party in a border poll?

Are you accusing me of "act or agitates to partition"?

• Advertisement

Francie, what's your opinion on the SF amendment to the abortion bill and the recent controversy with Murphy, the PPE and the missing emails?

Majoiritry also know the Northg is a mess and something the Rep of Ireland cannot afford. Let the brits pay for it

Probably fair to say the aspirations of the main political parties to unification reflect the views of the parties membership and of their supporters.

jh79 wrote: »
    Francie, what's your opinion on the SF amendment to the abortion bill and the recent controversy with Murphy, the PPE and the missing emails?

I have stated many times that some of my issues with SF are on there social policy.

I think they have struggled on the abortion issue, like most party's. I'm not up to speed on the differences between NI and the South on this issue though.

Murphy is being discussed on another thread.

I have stated many times that some of my issues with SF are on there social policy.

I think they have struggled on the abortion issue, like most party's. I'm not up to speed on the differences between NI and the South on this issue though.

Murphy is being discussed on another thread.

Does it bother you that SF in NI seems to have a different policy to abortion than in the Republic?

Probably fair to say the aspirations of the main political parties to unification reflect the views of the parties membership and of their supporters.

I want a United Ireland. I think you ask majority of people they want it as well in Rep. In North I doubt the unionist want it.

Now the difference is do I want a United Ireland where I have to pay a load of extra tax and could end up with bombs going off in Dublin? No I don't.

Sinn Fein and DUP need to sort their s**t out. Mary Lou shouting and roaring about a United Ireland means nothing to me because she has shown she has zero leadership. All mouth,

When the DUP come out and say they want to discuss a United Ireland then it will be worthwhile. When they come up with a plan that doesn't mean the people of Rep of Ireland get hit with another tax to fix the mess SF and DUP have made then lets talk.

Till then, Mary Lou should shut up and sort out the North, not going to happen anytime soon so will we have a United Ireland in my lifetime? probably not if it is up to Sinn Fien

Does it bother you that SF in NI seems to have a different policy to abortion than in the Republic?

Sinn Fein doesn't know which side of its mouth it is taking out of. What is true is that you know when SF are lying, you can see their mouths open

Are you accusing me of "act or agitates to partition"?

Somebody who says this, I would classify as 'partitionist'
    No reason rep of Ireland should waste millions on a vote to take over a shambles

The reason we need a UI is because partition has resulted in a 'shambles' on our island that will never work.

Depends on how different it is. I can accept nuances and practical differences. Because the jurisdictions are different and the systems of government/administration and law are different.
    Are SF for women's rights north and south...yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

They had a chance of running Ireland and they ran into the shadows till the real politicians came up with a plan, then SF pop back out complaining

They are more afraid than the rest of us at been given power because they know they will make a balls of it, just look at North. Three years without a government, another example of how poor Mary Lou is. Any country in the world ever go 3 years with their government shut down because of children bickering?

Indeed, you are quite correct in that.

The problem is the Shinners operate 50 years behind the present.

Even Cullinane couldnt resist the tired old rhetoric of ‘breaking the bastard state’

And these guys want the electorate to trust them!!

Sorry lads, long way to go.

Depends on how different it is. I can accept nuances and practical differences. Because the jurisdictions are different and the systems of government/administration and law are different.
    Are SF for women's rights north and south...yes.

I don't see how partition affects reproductive rights?

SF in the North wanted to restrict abortion in the case of non-fatal fetal abnormalities. In the Republic they were against this type of restriction.

• Advertisement

I want a United Ireland. I think you ask majority of people they want it as well in Rep. In North I doubt the unionist want it.

Now the difference is do I want a United Ireland where I have to pay a load of extra tax and could end up with bombs going off in Dublin? No I don't.

Sinn Fein and DUP need to sort their s**t out. Mary Lou shouting and roaring about a United Ireland means nothing to me because she has shown she has zero leadership. All mouth,

When the DUP come out and say they want to discuss a United Ireland then it will be worthwhile. When they come up with a plan that doesn't mean the people of Rep of Ireland get hit with another tax to fix the mess SF and DUP have made then lets talk.

Till then, Mary Lou should shut up and sort out the North, not going to happen anytime soon so will we have a United Ireland in my lifetime? probably not if it is up to Sinn Fien

It is not up to SF and DUP to decide a time for everyone else on the island to discuss a UI. The discussion is already happening and voting trends are changing. FF and FG reportedly want to set up a specific unit to examine unification. If anything discussion on unification will intensify.

Somebody who says this, I would classify as 'partitionist'

Sounds to me you use that term as some sort of an insult.

In that regards anyone using that term can be qualified as the below
    Racist

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    The reason we need a UI is because partition has resulted in a 'shambles' on our island that will never work.

The Rep of Ireland and North have never been in a better position. No bombs and no borders. The people of the North get to come to Ireland and bask in the benefits that FF and FG have brought to the Irish people. Unfortunealty for them they do return to the mess SF and DUP have made.

Why would anyone want to risk the current situation to start another war, and for what?

The brits have to pay to keep the North afloat. Unemployment is low in the North, mostly because the brits hjave to employ the place in public service. Unitied Ireland would take all that away, high unemployment, high taxes, bombs from unionist.

What would we get from SF then? more hiding in the shadows and lies. No thank you

It is not up to SF and DUP to decide a time for everyone else on the island to discuss a UI. The discussion is already happening and voting trends are changing. FF and FG reportedly eant to set up a specific unit to examine unification. If anything discussion on unification will intensify.

Its up to SF and DUP to sort the mess they have made in the North

Has the voting trend in the unionist changed? or do you just want to disregards that community?

Its up to SF and DUP to sort the mess they have made in the North

Has the voting trend in the unionist changed? or do you just want to disregards that community?

No of course I don't want to disregard the Unionist community but to answer the first part of your question, yes unionist voting trends have changed.

Sounds to me you use that term as some sort of an insult.

In that regards anyone using that term can be qualified as the below
    Racist

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

There is nothing insulting in calling someone a partitionist, it's a frequently used term in political discussion.

I disagree with it as a political stance though.

The Rep of Ireland and North have never been in a better position. No bombs and no borders. The people of the North get to come to Ireland and bask in the benefits that FF and FG have brought to the Irish people. Unfortunealty for them they do return to the mess SF and DUP have made.

Why would anyone want to risk the current situation to start another war, and for what?

The brits have to pay to keep the North afloat. Unemployment is low in the North, mostly because the brits hjave to employ the place in public service. Unitied Ireland would take all that away, high unemployment, high taxes, bombs from unionist.

What would we get from SF then? more hiding in the shadows and lies. No thank you

That's pure partitionism right there. The GFA is a process and was always intended to be.
    If you stop it on the basis of 'I'm alright jack', then you are denying rights and being classically partitionist.

There is nothing insulting in calling someone a partitionist, it's a frequently used term in political discussion.

I disagree with it as a political stance though.

Who uses it? I have never heard it before?

That's pure partitionism right there. The GFA is a process and was always intended to be.
    If you stop it on the basis of 'I'm alright jack', then you are denying rights and being classically partitionist.

If you havent figured it out yet I personally do not think you should refer to anyone as a partitionist. It is the sort of bulls**t the World is trying to get away from. So please refrain from using it.

The Good Friday Agreement states in it "The Good Friday Agreement states that consent for a united Ireland must be “freely and concurrently given” in both the North and the South of the island of Ireland. This is widely interpreted to mean that future border polls must be held in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland at the same time"

Who uses it? I have never heard it before?

If you havent figured it out yet I personally do not think you should refer to anyone as a partitionist. It is the sort of bulls**t the World is trying to get away from. So please refrain from using it.

No I won't refrain from using it. It is such a well known term it even has it's own Wickie page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitionism#:~:text=In%20Ireland%2C%20partitionism%20(Irish%3A,people%20who%20live%20within%20them.
    "a criticism of those in the south who pay lip-service to the ideal of Irish unity but who are smugly comfortable with the 26 county Republic"

Cant wait until.a border poll and those who hold this view are identifible

Gonna be some epic cancel culture and boycotts go on....i have no intention of funneling my money to those who side with loyalist paramilitaries and bigots

How will you know how people voted?

• Advertisement

Cant wait until.a border poll and those who hold this view are identifible

Gonna be some epic cancel culture and boycotts go on....i have no intention of funneling my money to those who side with loyalist paramilitaries and bigots

We just bizarrely got another poster 'interested in politics' claim never to have heard the term 'partitionist'.

I suspect that come a border poll these people will be the ones silently sulking. They refuse to own what they are even behind a keyboard, not much chance of them standing up and being counted in the real world.
    The absence of any politician or party advocating a continuation of partition in the south would reinforce my prediction.

Advertisement