Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,219 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

downcow wrote: »
    eg
    If I go to the premier bulls sales in Carlisle or Stirling I can buy an English bull and bring it home but if my neighbour is there with his Northern Irish bull I cannot buy it and bring it home Also if I take a bull over and it doesn’t sell I can’t bring it home again, but I can bring hamish mcstavish’s home from Inverness.

Seems my bull which was reared on this island is more of a bio security risk to the EU after two days in Stirling that John Smiths bull in the stall next door which travelled up from Kent.

Much of this stuff is mad Eu nonsense

That is just anecdotal.

Can you point to the rule or legislation governing this?

Has the UK used the easing proceedure in the Protocol to correct this if it is an anomaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Lol. My mum had me well warned about that tactic 40 years ago

Did you interbreed with a native Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

eg
    If I go to the premier bulls sales in Carlisle or Stirling I can buy an English bull and bring it home but if my neighbour is there with his Northern Irish bull I cannot buy it and bring it home Also if I take a bull over and it doesn’t sell I can’t bring it home again, but I can bring hamish mcstavish’s home from Inverness.

Seems my bull which was reared on this island is more of a bio security risk to the EU after two days in Stirling that John Smiths bull in the stall next door which travelled up from Kent.

Much of this stuff is mad Eu nonsense

There has always been controls though with livestock from England coming into Ireland since BSE and Foot and Mouth. How do we know that these animals don't have any of these diseases that could infect the national herd?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

jm08 wrote: »
    There has always been controls though with livestock from England coming into Ireland since BSE and Foot and Mouth. How do we know that these animals don't have any of these diseases that could infect the national herd?

....but I can bring an English bull home to ni. I just can’t bring a bull that has been reared on the island of island. Is that not absurd? And there are endless like it.

....but I can bring an English bull home to ni. I just can’t bring a bull that has been reared on the island of island. Is that not absurd? And there are endless like it.

Where is the rule downcow, can you back it up by pointing to it? Unionists are exaggerating the threats and the problems.

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »

I took two pedigree bulls to Stirling in 2020. I sold one and the other didn’t sell so I brought him home and sold him. He is enjoying live now impregnating norther Irish females.
    If the protocol had existed then I could not have brought him home and he would have had to be turned into scottish burgers. But I could have bought a scottish bull and brought him home
    Does anyone think that is sensible?

Where is the rule downcow, can you back it up by pointing to it? Unionists are exaggerating the threats and the problems.

You tell me first Francie if you think that is an absurd situation, and if true, bits of the protocol are simply nuts?

You tell me first Francie if you think that is an absurd situation, and if true, bits of the protocol are simply nuts?

Here is the protocol, can you point to the rule governing this.
    I'll do my 'thinking' then.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/840230/Revised_Protocol_to_the_Withdrawal_Agreement.pdf

Francie I have played you games too often. Clearly you think that would be an absurd situation but again you refuse to admit it, even hypothetically.

Francie this is a huge problem you have, that you can’t admit a black crow is black, if it doesn’t suit your argument

Francie I have played you games too often. Clearly you think that would be an absurd situation but again you refuse to admit it, even hypothetically.

Francie this is a huge problem you have, that you can’t admit a black crow is black, if it doesn’t suit your argument

I want t understand the rule and the thinking behind it, if any.

I also don't trust unionist exaggerations about the problems (That NI business repudiated btw)and who would blame me given what we know about what Poots and the DUP did.

It may be an aberration that can be eased. And the next question is, has the UK used the procedures built into the Protocol. The EU say they haven't.

Up to you, if you want to back up your claim.

• Advertisement

I want t understand the rule and the thinking behind it, if any.

I also don't trust unionist exaggerations about the problems (That NI business repudiated btw)and who would blame me given what we know about what Poots and the DUP did.

It may be an aberration that can be eased. And the next question is, has the UK used the procedures built into the Protocol. The EU say they haven't.

Up to you, if you want to back up your claim.

The hundreds of ni bulls that had been booked for the various pedigree sales in GB in the coming months have all cancelled as they don’t want to risk their good bull ending up in burgers - so your farmers have a bit of competition coming their way

But of course people will still be over buying English bulls. You couldn’t make it up - but you can rely on the EU to complicate life.

The hundreds of ni bulls that had been booked for the various pedigree sales in GB in the coming months have all cancelled as they don’t want to risk their good bull ending up in burgers - so your farmers have a bit of competition coming their way

But of course people will still be over buying English bulls. You couldn’t make it up - but you can rely on the EU to complicate life.

Would those cancellations not be due more to Covid

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/stirling-bull-sales-in-february-postponed-594063

You exaggerating again by any chance?

Would those cancellations not be due more to Covid

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/stirling-bull-sales-in-february-postponed-594063

You exaggerating again by any chance?

Once you tell me whether the situation I describe (if true) is absurd (or not) then I’ll supply the clear evidence. Can’t be fairer than that.

I played your games too often on the ‘99 years of failure’ thread that it suited you I got removed from, mmmm!

.....and if I have exaggerated one iota, I will do the sackcloth and ashes

Once you tell me whether the situation I describe (if true) is absurd (or not) then I’ll supply the clear evidence. Can’t be fairer than that.

I played your games too often on the ‘99 years of failure’ thread that it suited you I got removed from, mmmm!

.....and if I have exaggerated one iota, I will do the sackcloth and ashes

You are playing games now.

It doesn't matter whether it is absurd or not. What matters is the rule and the thinking. and if it is an anomaly or based on something and if it can be eased.(This is what you should be asking your government instead of venting)

So show the rule if it exists and stop this carry on.

Nearly daily articles on it now in the British media. I can a referendum being called as soon as Covid stabilises.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ireland-irish-unity-reunification-vote-brexit-b1798350.html

The anchor person on our Bbc morning news programme is from ROI and she went off script this morning, controversially I thought, by expressing her wish that her entire family had moved to ni. She was referring to the vaccine rollout and that her 85 mother in Donegal hasn’t even got it yet.
    To quote her exactly, she said
    “If we had all moved lock, stock and barrel to Northern Ireland.........it would have been a different story”, and she went on “it’s really quite extraordinary that you can have a really different experience........just 10 miles from each other, quite incredible”

You may send her some of that data about how brilliant Roi is, quickly before she moves her entire family to this 3rd world hell hole, based on her warped personal experience. Lol

I never thought Michele O’Neill would agree with me and completely disagree with the republican profits of dome on here, but here we are on bbc politics show yesterday. Again, an exact quote

Following her acceptance that we need to find the flexibilities and deal with the current imperfections - she said
    “We are in an unenviable position, when other places look to the access to the markets we have”.

....and interesting that she was referring to ni as ‘we’
    Seems OWC continues to gain traction, even with shinner leaders caught off guard

I see Roi is doing an EU. We have been warned if any of us dare to enter your country everyone in the car will be fined an immediate £100.
    One nation my ars*. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

I see Roi is doing an EU. We have been warned if any of us dare to enter your country everyone in the car will be fined an immediate £100.
    One nation my ars*. Lol.

It's just the same fine as going outside the 5km anywhere in the country. It'll be interesting to see if they start fining people who pop north to do their shopping.

I never thought Michele O’Neill would agree with me and completely disagree with the republican profits of dome on here, but here we are on bbc politics show yesterday. Again, an exact quote

Following her acceptance that we need to find the flexibilities and deal with the current imperfections - she said
    “We are in an unenviable position, when other places look to the access to the markets we have”.

....and interesting that she was referring to ni as ‘we’
    Seems OWC continues to gain traction, even with shinner leaders caught off guard

But you have to accept that you are now separate from the rest of the UK.

That day is over now and you have to remain in the EU for trade and come economically closer to Ireland.

That's the deal downcow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Nearly daily articles on it now in the British media. I can a referendum being called as soon as Covid stabilises.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ireland-irish-unity-reunification-vote-brexit-b1798350.html

Can't see it myself. The majority wish to remain according to opinion polls. If one was called with the SoS ignoring the "likely to pass" caveat in the GFA i could see unionists refusing to partake in it and the end of the GFA.

SF supporters on here trying to create some momentum around a border poll a sign of insecurity ? If we can't get a UI after Brexit and COVID then we never will. The latest opinion poll showed a 5% gap with only 11% undecided. A poor return considering Brexit and COVID.

jh79 wrote: »
    Can't see it myself. The majority wish to remain according to opinion polls. If one was called with the SoS ignoring the "likely to pass" caveat in the GFA i could see unionists refusing to partake in it and the end of the GFA.

SF supporters on here trying to create some momentum around a border poll a sign of insecurity ? If we can't get a UI after Brexit and COVID then we never will. The latest opinion poll showed a 5% gap with only 11% undecided. A poor return considering Brexit and COVID.

SF are running the UK's media now?

This represents a sea change in Alex Kane's thinking on this IMO. Has NI's most senior journalist got wind/been tipped off abut something I wonder?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/unionists-may-find-being-bounced-into-border-poll-is-boris-s-preferred-option-1.4478381

SF are running the UK's media now?

From your link;

Though a slim majority said they want a border poll, the margins are tight and the majority in favour of reunificationwho otherwise needed for the Northern Ireland Secretary to trigger a referendum, as stated in the Good Friday Agreement, remains elusive.

The idea that one is imminent, to me seem like a bit of desperation.

jh79 wrote: »
    From your link;

Though a slim majority said they want a border poll, the margins are tight and the majority in favour of reunificationwho otherwise needed for the Northern Ireland Secretary to trigger a referendum, as stated in the Good Friday Agreement, remains elusive.

The idea that one is imminent, to me seem like a bit of desperation.

Who said a poll was 'imminent'?

The calling of one is certainly getting closer and I would expect it will be two years from the call, like the Scottish one.

One situation I think could precipitate the call is Britain deciding we need to diverge further from the EU to survive. It doesn't take a genius to work out what complicates massively the desire to fully diverge from the EU.

P.S. I am from the school of thought that the British will make a politically selfish decision on NI, based on the history of what they have done with the place. 'Polls' won't come into it in the end.

But you have to accept that you are now separate from the rest of the UK.

That day is over now and you have to remain in the EU for trade and come economically closer to Ireland.

That's the deal downcow.

Clearly not what Michelle thinks. She is clear that she thinks we will have access to gb & Eu once the current issues are remedied.

Clearly not what Michelle thinks. She is clear that she thinks we will have access to gb & Eu once the current issues are remedied.

If Michelle thinks the Protocol will be dropped she is wrong. Like everybody else she most likely believes that 'easements and flexibilities' available to the UK to implement need to be used. To me this proves she believes that, seh kinda spells it out :)
    we need to find the flexibilities and deal with the current imperfections

The fact is downcow (and you are about to find out) to be in the 'unenviable position' UNIONISM needs to accept the Protocol, needs to accept that they are in the EU for trade and that they have to come closer to Dublin economically than London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

This represents a sea change in Alex Kane's thinking on this IMO. Has NI's most senior journalist got wind/been tipped off abut something I wonder?

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/unionists-may-find-being-bounced-into-border-poll-is-boris-s-preferred-option-1.4478381

Opinion polls in Uk constantly find the English couldn't give a monkeys about NI remaining in the UK. Unrequited love for the Unionists lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

One nation my ars*. Lol.

Essential travel is permitted.

• Advertisement

Who said a poll was 'imminent'?

The calling of one is certainly getting closer and I would expect it will be two years from the call, like the Scottish one.

One situation I think could precipitate the call is Britain deciding we need to diverge further from the EU to survive. It doesn't take a genius to work out what complicates massively the desire to fully diverge from the EU.

P.S. I am from the school of thought that the British will make a politically selfish decision on NI, based on the history of what they have done with the place. 'Polls' won't come into it in the end.

You think one will be called once COVID stabilizes, which would be imminent given it's impossible to hold one while COVID is around.

Boris might be tempted to go rogue and exploit ambiguity in the GFA but I'm sure Foster et al would refuse to partake and it would be the end of the GFA.

Advertisement